• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Amazon Fire TV announced (4k): Game Edition w/ controller, Shovel Knight, DT $139

ZhugeEX

Banned
Really?
Virtually every TV sold in the past year or two has the media playing functionality people need built in.
I haven't ever seen a scrap of evidence that anyone wants phone-level apps and games on their TV.

Yup. It's set to continue growing over the next few years.
Not for the gaming capabilities but for the multiple media capabilities. The lower prices + need for streaming content is what is pushing sales of these. In the last year alone I think 30m were sold, should be 50m per year in a couple of years.

If it was fun to work on, you should convince Capcom to do a DuckTales 2 Remastered! DuckTales 2 [GB] was my first game ever, I'd certainly appreciate a remake from you guys :D.

Considering how many of the assets they could reuse, not to mention the engine, I'm kind of surprised this wasn't practically confirmed from the get-go.

Received my Kindle Fire Gaming Edition last night.

Have to say, super impressed after the first couple of hours. Blew away my (low) expectations.

Pros:
  1. The Controller - Haven't played with it long enough, but may be my favorite controller on the market. It's solid and weighty without being too heavy. Sticks/buttons feel great, haven't tested D pad too much yet. Way better than expected.
  2. Alexa - Okay, had no idea how much better this tech is versus Siri. Really impressed by speed and accuracy.
  3. Games - Only tried the two included games so far, but both Shovel Knight and Duck Tales ran great and looked beautiful. Would have no problem playing these games on the Fire rather than, say, a PS4 or Xbox One, especially since the controller is so good.
  4. Apps & Prime integration - Really like the UI and the breadth of content available.

I'd have no problems at all recommending this to anyone, but Prime members will get more benefit out of this than non-Prime members. Really happy with the product so far, the controller in particular.

Received my Kindle Fire Gaming Edition last night.

Have to say, super impressed after the first couple of hours. Blew away my (low) expectations.

Pros:
  1. The Controller - Haven't played with it long enough, but may be my favorite controller on the market. It's solid and weighty without being too heavy. Sticks/buttons feel great, haven't tested D pad too much yet. Way better than expected.
  2. Alexa - Okay, had no idea how much better this tech is versus Siri. Really impressed by speed and accuracy.
  3. Games - Only tried the two included games so far, but both Shovel Knight and Duck Tales ran great and looked beautiful. Would have no problem playing these games on the Fire rather than, say, a PS4 or Xbox One, especially since the controller is so good.
  4. Apps & Prime integration - Really like the UI and the breadth of content available.

I'd have no problems at all recommending this to anyone, but Prime members will get more benefit out of this than non-Prime members. Really happy with the product so far, the controller in particular.

So close to picking this up, just wish there was a trade up program for those who have the OG Amazon TV. Question for you CosmicQueso. Have you tried any MKV/MP4 playback? Can it play them back natively or do we still need to rely on Plex / Kodi TV for that?

apologies for the bump but i've got a question:
so i currently have a wdtv live and was wondering would i miss anything if i went to an amazon fire tv box with some kodi magic?
the wdtv is pretty bare bones but it can play almost anything i throw at it from an external hard drive, that same use would be available to me with the fire tv/kodi set up right?
i really just want a nice performance boost and the apple tv just doesn't do what i want, short of playing around with plex.

Top Bottom