• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NEW Assassin's Creed 3 screenshots

Technically, same generation.

Yea this generation is nuts. The beginning of this gen to now doesn't even look like the same consoles. And also, watching videos of that released around the start of this gen, makes it really feel like the 2000's were the 90's. But it still feels so new!

There's a "documentary" about the history of gaming that came out 06? It's on Netflix. It's so long ago...

jcm

Yes, multiple times in fact. What exactly do you want them to do? Remove the hood? It's become an iconic look for the series, might as well ask 343 to ditch Master Chief's helmet or Kojima to remove Snake's pointless bandana while you're at it.

Suspension of disbelief folks, look it up.

Assassins in Desmond-time don't wear the hood. Why do they wear it in Revolutionary time? The entire series is an exercise in suspension of disbelief, so that's not my problem. My problem is it looks stupid. He's supposed to be a guy who blends in.

CrazyDude

Assassins in Desmond-time don't wear the hood. Why do they wear it in Revolutionary time? The entire series is an exercise in suspension of disbelief, so that's not my problem. My problem is it looks stupid. He's supposed to be a guy who blends in.
Suspension of disbelief is not your problem, but then you go on to say that it is your problem.

Amir0x

Banned
As expected, the city looks pretty bad compared to all other AC cities to date. That's Revolutionary War-era America for you, lame cities indeed.

I really need to see exactly how they'll spice up the traveling around gameplay in the "in between" parts, which they have said they've worked hard to do, in order to know if the trade off was worth it.

I agree but the brain's trust at Ubi will tell you "it looks badass" where in reality what they mean is "we needed brand recognition". They could have at least gone to the trouble of changing the color. Rummaging throught the forest in a pristine white hoodie looks rather off.

jcm

Suspension of disbelief is not your problem, but then you go on to say that it is your problem.

Right, because it's totally black and white. If Desmond were riding around on a purple unicorn we'd all just have to swallow it, right?

At some point we all have a line, beyond which we go from "accepting the video game fantasy" to thinking "Oh, come on". For me, the line is somewhere before a dude carrying an axe and running around in a white, hooded robe not arousing any curiosity in colonial America.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Yeah it's completely off, This new guy wearing a weird outfit , not like the soldier, not like the natives or anyone else.

They need to redesign the outfit first before even thinking about the AC trademark hood.

As expected, the city looks pretty bad compared to all other AC cities to date. That's Revolutionary War-era America for you, lame cities indeed.

I really need to see exactly how they'll spice up the traveling around gameplay in the "in between" parts, which they have said they've worked hard to do, in order to know if the trade off was worth it.

Well at least it's a complete change in the setting I guess ( AC1 is just like AC:R, AC:2 was just like AC:Bro) so that is ok with me.

I just want to see the changes in the core tired formula and structure.

jett

D-Member
It's not just the hood, hell, the hood might be the least of the guy's problems. The entire outfit is ludicrous. I'd shorten his coat-thing and give him a hat. Honestly the clothes he's wearing also look heavy as FUCK, completely counter-productive to his athletic skills.

Amir0x

Banned
I still wish they'd implement a sort of disguise system for those of us who wanted to do it. The ability to rob an individual and take his outfit so you could 'blend' in. The ability to keep a few outfits on command, so you can best modify your outfit depending on the situation.

thabiz

I still wish they'd implement a sort of disguise system for those of us who wanted to do it. The ability to rob an individual and take his outfit so you could 'blend' in. The ability to keep a few outfits on command, so you can best modify your outfit depending on the situation.

Hitman says hi

Bullshots but I don't have any doubt that the game on consoles will look pretty close, ACR was graphically awesome, specially the city.

Amir0x

Banned
Hitman says hi

if it works, it works

Regarding Bullshots, of course they're bullshots, but I'm not surprised the game is supposed to look significantly better than the rest of the AC games, considering it's a new engine and it's going to be optimized for the next-gen systems like Wii U and PCs.

Really guys? The trademark of Assassin's Creed and the most recognizable element of the series is a guy in white with a bird of prey tipped hood. You can say Ubi painted themselves in to that corner but that's where we're at now and they can't stray too far from it. I'll give you that you can argue about the rest of his outfit, but expecting anything but a guy in white with a hood is a little much at least for the box cover/promo media (not to mention you'll probably be able to change his colors ala the last few games).

Like I mentioned earlier though, maybe they'll give you an option in game to buy a tri cornered hat at some point.

Amir0x

Banned
i always wonder about the thought process behind that type of over-the-top iconography addiction. Like, is Assassin's Creed 3 really going to sell less because he's not wearing the trademark white hooded robe? Is that why people were buying the series?

If you called it Assassin's Creed 3 and shown a trailer of someone committing assassinations, don't you think that would be enough?

You'd think with a series as successful as AC, the developer behind it would feel they are allowed a certain level of freedom.

Tawpgun

People bitching about a games realism ffs.

It's a stylized element. What secret order would put fucking Assassins Symbols on all their headquarters? Their weapons, their belts etc.

It's iconic to the series now, the fact that people are complaining about it is ridiculous. I guess this means every FPS character has to have a helmet. None of this running around without a helmet just so they're easily recognized.

thabiz

i always wonder about the thought process behind that type of over-the-top iconography addiction. Like, is Assassin's Creed 3 really going to sell less because he's not wearing the trademark white hooded robe? Is that why people were buying the series?

If you called it Assassin's Creed 3 and shown a trailer of someone committing assassinations, don't you think that would be enough?

You'd think with a series as successful as AC, the developer behind it would feel they are allowed a certain level of freedom.

but we are a fickle bunch arent we? Everyone claims they want change, but the second they do it gets ripped to shreds.

I would say they could do it, as long as they kept the hidden blade. To me, thats what makes Assassins Creed.

The clothes do not make the man!

"Hey man, this video game about mind control time travel, DNA memory and ancient alien gods and shit has some DISTURBING problems with the outfits, they do no fit in this time period, they look restrictive, and the main character is not wearing the correct head attire."

That about sums up most of the complaints.

Tawpgun

Why stop at white hoods?

Why has every assassin been able to blend in while being a walking armory. Why are we able to survive ankle breaking falls? Why can't enemies look up? Ass Creed is so bad omg wow 0/10

You would think but the sad fact is a lot of people in the mainstream (ie the people who aren't following video game news constantly) probably can't even name their favorite video game franchises correctly.

Plus image speaks a lot louder than words in marketing. Someone can instantly recognize a box with the Assassin on it before they can actually read the name.

thabiz

That about sums up most of the complaints.

I was under the impression that Ubi MTL gushed over the realism of the series. Real characters, real locations, etc. You cant flip a switch and do the opposite because the box wont sell.

The coat only worked in the first one. it was actually believable. Now its stupid.

Ledsen

I hope they'll introduce stealth mechanics this time. It's been pretty weird having a four game series about an ASSASSIN who can't even sneak (or duck!)

Kinyou

Why should the explanation that it's for marketing reasons stop me from complaining?

Usually should artists be above this stuff.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Hasn't Desmond been wearing a white hoodie for most of the series? And other than that, the vast majority of the time spent with the present day Assassins has just been in rooms with computers.

Assassins in Desmond-time don't wear the hood.

I can't remember exactly how they've iterated on the design over time (and I haven't played the II spinoffs so I don't know what they did in those at all), but the entire reason Desmond wears a hooded sweatshirt in his original design is to directly connect him back to that lineage of Assassin imagery.

Honestly the clothes he's wearing also look heavy as FUCK, completely counter-productive to his athletic skills.

It's wicked cold in Massachusetts.

i always wonder about the thought process behind that type of over-the-top iconography addiction. Like, is Assassin's Creed 3 really going to sell less because he's not wearing the trademark white hooded robe?

....yes? Gaming isn't quite as visual a medium as film, but it's pretty close. The visual appearance of the character is a key element in the success of a game, especially a big mass-market AAA game.

The original Assassin design in the first game is genius. It's incredibly iconic and has become extremely recognizable, but it's relatively simple conceptually and it allows for a ton of variation (enough so that you can make Altair, Ezio, and Connor all look different despite the similar base design.) They should ride that shit with everything they've got.

Do you know how you're a jaded gamer? When some really amazing screenshots of a videogame come out and all you can do is argue about a stupid freaking hat and a character's outfit.

Amir0x

Banned
....yes? Gaming isn't quite as visual a medium as film, but it's pretty close. The visual appearance of the character is a key element in the success of a game, especially a big mass-market AAA game.

The original Assassin design in the first game is genius. It's incredibly iconic and has become extremely recognizable, but it's relatively simple conceptually and it allows for a ton of variation (enough so that you can make Altair, Ezio, and Connor all look different despite the similar base design.) They should ride that shit with everything they've got.

Are you answering "yes" as in... you'd not play it because they decided to create a new image more appropriate for the time or something? Yes, as in you really believe it'd sell even a handful of copies less? Would you really stop playing the series? I doubt you're that shallow, or that 99.9% of gamers are that shallow.

It's not that visuals aren't important or that the initial design wasn't successful, it's that now that it is successful they can certainly have enough leeway to create an equally iconic yet appropriate design for the new game. Nobody is going to stop playing the series because they decided to do that. Absolutely nobody. What people are interested in is the concept, and if there is a different outfit that better serves the concept, that's what they should go for, not for some dog whistle.

And in any event, I can think of many ways this specific iconic design could have stayed close to the roots from the first game and still have been superior and more time-appropriate to what they have. It's just totally out-of-period now. In Assassin's Creed 1 it almost seemed vaguely middle eastern, it was plausibly in-time. You could sort of stretch that interpretation for the Ezio titles. But for a native american living during the revolutionary war, they could have taken pains to upgrade the iconic hooded outfit image to something more even more time appropriate. You could even integrate a sort of cocked hat design into the hood shape, or something close to what was in Brotherhood of the Wolf, just to give the impression that they created a piece that could plausibly blend in. You could still have aspects that recall the initial iconic design, but what they have now just seems like a very lazy approach to winning the three or so people on Earth who would stop playing a series they love because of an outfit disappearing in its current precise form.

To be clear, I'm not even particularly complaining that it is unrealistic. He never was able to blend in in the past games either, because of how absurd it was the way he walked around with an armory and bright clothes. I'm just saying this is a new game and a new time period, and the outfit could stand updating for such a period and the series is so successful that the impact to sales would be essentially null. It would certainly be less pandering and fit the concept better that what they have now.

In the end, though, I think this is a lot of huss over nothing, because from what I understand there is the ability to get outfits that make your character appear more like he is from the time period. I believe the GameInformer article had something about that... like "as you progress in the game, Connor will be able to upgrade his outfit" and I seem to remember them saying that the outfit might start to take on features of the period. So I doubt this will be any bigger of an issue then it has been for any of the other AC titles. My argument is primarily about how stupid it is to worry about taken slightly bolder steps to change the outfit, because in the end it's not going to change how good the game is and it's not going to change how many people buy it. This franchise now has brownie points with fans.

Irish

Of course.

It's NeoGAF.

I know. I just like to pretend sometimes. Here are the rest of the art/screens or whatever that was floating around. They may be scans, but I don't know what of. If they are, I will of course remove them:

assassins-creed-3-artwork-9.jpg

assassins-creed-3-artwork-8.jpg

assassins-creed-3-artwork-4.jpg

assassins-creed-3-artwork-7.jpg

assassins-creed-3-artwork-1_1.jpg

assassins-creed-3-artwork-2.jpg

assassins-creed-3-artwork-10.jpg

Amir0x

Banned
in that second shot, Irish, it's actually not so bad, because there's snow and so one can think that a white hooded cloak in snowy areas is pretty hot actually

KorrZ

because in the end it's not going to change how good the game is and it's not going to change how many people buy it. This franchise now has brownie points with fans.

Doesn't this go both ways though? No one is not going to buy the game because he looks a little out of place, and they know that. So why wouldn't they keep an iconic design if they know that it's not going to change anything if they keep it?

Amir0x

Banned
Doesn't this go both ways though? No one is not going to buy the game because he looks a little out of place, and they know that. So why wouldn't they keep an iconic design if they know that it's not going to change anything if they keep it?

I agree with you. I guess I need to restate what I was saying.

I was saying it's a poor argument to say they should keep the outfit because it's iconic, because the series is successful enough that they could change it and not lose a single fan. That sort of iconography addiction is just over-the-top from my perspective, considering how the franchise is established. I agree the same applies for the other direction. I'm certainly going to buy it anyway (although I'm not even remotely as offended about the design as the vocal people on that subject, I just think the entire series needs a disguise system so the option was there to have an outfit which blends into the time period).

My add-on qualifier is that IF they could have made an outfit that was better suited to the concept and time, they should have gone with that. Whatever serves the gameplay and concept better is always the one they should go with. I've always felt that the hooded outfit has not been the best idea post AC1, so my stance would definitely be pro-heavier outfit modification.

It doesn't matter to me in that type of way that would impact sales, though. I am more concerned about the Revolutionary War-era's shitty American cities and seeing if the team can pull off making 'frontier' gameplay as fun as city gameplay. That's what they need to convince me on, since that was always the worst type of gameplay from the past games

Irish

in that second shot, Irish, it's actually not so bad, because there's snow and so one can think that a white hooded cloak in snowy areas is pretty hot actually

If nothing else, you will still probably be able to change the color of the outfit if not any design elements in particular. See, I've actually been wondering about the overall question of customization lately. The GI quote was actually this:

GameInformer said:
Upgrades:

Simply put, they're back. You can customize Connor's gear, as well as his costume, as the game moves forward.

To me, that doesn't really tell us any more than that he can dye his clothing and buy upgraded armor/weapons.

This was Nirolak's quote:

Nirolak said:
-You can upgrade Connor's gear and costume as the game goes on in an attempt to make it feel more authentic.

That quote says something much different from the original one.

It is my personal hope that the customization level has shot up tremendously. At the very least, I hope they add in different pre-made outfits if they aren't going to give you access to individual pieces. Of course, the hood doesn't bother me in the least. They kind of tinkered with the customization idea in Revelations' MP mode, but it wasn't too deep.

Zeliard

The whole idea behind the Assassin design from a visual standpoint and why he wears a hood that has that particular pointy shape to it is so that his silhouette resembles that of an eagle. A tricorne hat wouldn't exactly have the same effect.

Irish

The whole idea behind the Assassin design from a visual standpoint and why he wears a hood that has that particular pointy shape to it is so that his silhouette resembles that of an eagle. A tricorne hat wouldn't exactly have the same effect.

Well, that argument doesn't work so much with Connor. Supposedly, he is meant to be more wolf-like than his predecessors. Even the naming convention has changed to represent that. I don't know why they didn't really take that into account with his design. There are a ton of little touches they could have added to make that apparent.

Zeliard

Well, that argument doesn't work so much with Connor. Supposedly, he is meant to be more wolf-like than his predecessors. I don't know why they didn't really take that into account with his design. There are a ton of little touches they could have added to make that apparent.

wolf7qycy.jpg

Irish

Heh

Some interesting quotes from a recent article. Can't guarantee their accuracy. Still, we should be getting a better picture of what was shown recently on Monday. That is when the embargo goes up apparently.

But will the cities of Assassin's Creed III even be big enough to make freerunning fun? It's a common worry, and a well founded one given that New York and Boston weren't that impressive during the war, but Ubisoft has come up with a novel solution to that problem. Their recreation of Boston is actually three times larger than the real city was at the time. It's a bit of a departure for the series, sure, but if it gives us more to climb, that's all right by me.

In addition, each city in Assassin's Creed III should feel much more alive than in previous iterations, thanks to a brand new AI system. Rather than wandering around aimlessly, inhabitants will now go about their daily routines, working during the day and heading home at night. If someone needs your help, they'll come running up to ask you, and familiar NPCs will even acknowledge your presence from time to time with a greeting.

Despite what you might expect, Connor won't just be fighting British soldiers. Assassin's Creed 3 will offer a much wider variety of enemies than in previous titles. That includes other Native Americans, who can move around the wilderness just as swiftly as Connor. And once you're in a fight, don't expect the same button-mashing waltz from the last few games games. This time, enemies won't just wait around patiently to attack you one at a time, they'll give you everything they've got as soon as they get the chance.

To help level the playing field, Connor will have access to an expanded arsenal of weapons. We've already seen the tomahawk and longbow in action, but joining them will be a rope dart similar to those used in Chinese martial arts. With it, you'll be able to pin enemies from your perch above them, presumably allowing for long-rage stealth kills.

Here is the article.

I wonder if you will end up using the tomahawk outside of battle while climbing things sort of like a revamped hookblade.

In addition, each city in Assassin's Creed III should feel much more alive than in previous iterations, thanks to a brand new AI system. Rather than wandering around aimlessly, inhabitants will now go about their daily routines, working during the day and heading home at night. If someone needs your help, they'll come running up to ask you, and familiar NPCs will even acknowledge your presence from time to time with a greeting.
I don't know why this keeps getting thrown around like it's supposed to be some sort of holy grail of Town NPC-AI.
And once you're in a fight, don't expect the same button-mashing waltz from the last few game. This time, enemies won't just wait around patiently to attack you one at a time, they'll give you everything they've got as soon as they get the chance.
Hopefully this is true, because I absolutely despised the combat system in previous games.
I wonder if you will end up using the tomahawk outside of battle while climbing things sort of like a revamped hookblade.
That would be awesome.

Top Bottom