• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Bayonetta info (Platinum Games - Xbox 360, PlayStation 3)

SapientWolf said:
I don't understand why being partially nude would make a woman a slut or a prostitute. Especially when you consider that there are plenty of cultures where it's not a big deal when women go bare chested (some of those being matriarchal). I think it's a reflection of America's puritanical roots and one of the unhealthy side effects of repressing and demonizing human sexuality. The female body was demonized as well.
I agree...but its the projection of the nudity that gives off that sort of vibe, not the nudity itself. I can understand someone being a bit pessimistic about the approach of Bayonetta, because after all, we dont have many games that really project an even somewhat positive image on the matter...but this may be one of the few that arent just for "marketing and money", so to speak.

Pyrokai

I think the hair thing sounds awesome. It's a really cool idea and certainly gives the game a lot of style.

I can't wait for this game, either. It really sounds good.

karasu

Gamers and fundamentalists are about the only people who argue against sexuality in entertainment. It's so fucking bizarre.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
karasu said:
Gamers and fundamentalists are about the only people who argue against sexuality in entertainment. It's so fucking bizarre.
I think gamers are arguing for sexuality with a little more depth and maturity. But at this point I'd be willing to settle for anything different from the usual half naked woman with ridiculous proportions and zero personality. I have no problem with the female form, but like abstract alien said, what is presented is not as important as how it is presented.

It's too early to make a call on Bayonetta either way. However, I would really like to hear more about the main character's backstory, which is more than I can say for most vg characters.

Aske

karasu said:

To be fair though, gamers are fighting the whole 'virgins in the basement' stereotype, so I can understand why so many of them vehemently oppose sexuality in games.

Pyrokai

Pai Pai Master said:
As long as there's a half-decent or interesting reason for it, I'm fine with gratuitous T&A in my games.

But if there's a reason, would that make it gratuitous? :p

But yeah, I totally agree. Nudity to sell is gratuitous and pointless. Nudity to express a creative idea or provide style and substance is fine with me and can enhance an experience. This isn't just for games, but goes for any form of expression: be it a painting, a game, a movie, or whatever.

. . .Hummm. . . .IDK.

This game gave me a crap impression from the first CG trailer. . .where everyone had to freeze frame it just to see the main character (I see that as a sign that your trailer is crap. Yep, if people have to freeze frame just to see wth the main character looks like than it's pretty odd).

But after I got a good look at the main character I thought "Hey, she is some 30 something year old woman who aint in some who-can-wear-the-coolest-stripper-uniform contast! Interesting. . .". Now this "she is nude and the only thing she has as cover is leather looking hair that leaves her almost nude when doing huge attacks" just makes it sound retarded. . . like something a pre-teen, horned up boy would think of as a means to shoe horn naked women into a game for no reason.

If this game turns out to be good I will jump on it seeing as it seems like a DMC rip off and I have never owned that series of games but the one my friend let me play was fun (and I don't want to get the latest ones if have not played the early ones).

Still much more interested in MadWorld myself. . .that game gotz style.

Black-Wind said:
. . .Hummm. . . .IDK.

This game gave me a crap impression from the first CG trailer. . .where everyone had to freeze frame it just to see the main character (I see that as a sign that your trailer is crap. Yep, if people have to freeze frame just to see wth the main character looks like than it's pretty odd).

If this game turns out to be good I will jump on it seeing as it seems like a DMC rip off and I have never owned that series of games but the one my friend let me play was fun (and I don't want to get the latest ones if have not played the early ones).
It was a teaser trailer. Teasers do that.

It's made by the same person who created DMC. Maybe you should actually try reading up on a game before you make a post.

Greatness Gone said:
It was a teaser trailer. Teasers do that.

It's made by the same person who created DMC. Maybe you should actually try reading up on a game before you make a post.

I have read up on it and I know all of that. I know who is making this game and I know where they come from >_>.
The maker being the one who made DMC makes it seem like no less of a DMC rip off. . .everything one makes does not have to be simular to what they made in the past.

Teaster trailer or not, I have never seen a trailer where people ended up having to freeze frame just to get a clue as to how the main character looked and wth was happening. (never seen soo many people confussed by a teaster trailer)

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
I mean, a costume that gets more revealing when you do more powerful moves. Uh... what?

That sounds pretty retarded but I'll reserve my final judgment till I play it. I liked DMC1 and what little I played of Viewtiful Joe so if the gameplay is building off that and manages to pull it off perfectly, I'll bite.

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
How does this seem to be a DMC ripoff when the main character has more attacks and skills than Dante does... :| The only similarity thus far is the developer and the word ridiculous being used as a description...

Pachinko

Bayonetta is to devil may cry what streak was to jet moto and what rogue trip was to twisted metal. If tecmo doesn't wind up begging itagaki to come back and he continues to make games I can forsee slightly different takes on ninja gaiden and doa as well.

Basically it's the same concept but with a diffferent name and perhaps a quirk or 2 added in /changed around to make it fresh. Here's hoping it's more rogue trip then streak :p

WickedLaharl said:
people are arguing over the partial nudity rather than the retarded qte bits?

fuck qte's. ditch that shit kamiya.
Did i miss something? I know it has some scenes where an enemy will try and over power you and you have to mash. I dont mind that, but there are actual QTEs?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Black-Wind said:
I have read up on it and I know all of that. I know who is making this game and I know where they come from >_>.
The maker being the one who made DMC makes it seem like no less of a DMC rip off. . .everything one makes does not have to be simular to what they made in the past.

Teaster trailer or not, I have never seen a trailer where people ended up having to freeze frame just to get a clue as to how the main character looked and wth was happening. (never seen soo many people confussed by a teaster trailer)

awsome complaint
:/

TreIII

abstract alien said:
Did i miss something? I know it has some scenes where an enemy will try and over power you and you have to mash. I dont mind that, but there are actual QTEs?

From what the article seemed to give off, it's nothing more than how it was done in God Hand.

When an enemy is stunned, or otherwise struggling with you, you mash buttons to maximize damage/save your ass. Basically, the same thing we've been having in these types of games since back in the days of 80s/90s side-scrolling brawlers.

So, I don't really see what's the problem here. It doesn't sound at all like how GoW did QTEs.

TreIII said:
From what the article seemed to give off, it's nothing more than how it was done in God Hand.

When an enemy is stunned, or otherwise struggling with you, you mash buttons to maximize damage/save your ass. Basically, the same thing we've been having in these types of games since back in the days of 80s/90s side-scrolling brawlers.

So, I don't really see what's the problem here. It doesn't sound at all like how GoW did QTEs.
kind of like when you fought those summoners/priest in GoW2...thats what im thinking. if its like that, then thats fine with me.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
TreIII said:

saying "QTEs" sucks makes you cool and hardcore these days. People dont wanna wonder whether the game is fun or not.

thanks for bringing up Godhand, i never even thought about it

Every preview i've seen of Bayonetta so far has been positive mostly, kamiya's games have been some of my favorites of all time. So far, i have no reason to be down on this game.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Guys.

NG = No QTE = Good game
DMC = No QTE = Great game
God Hand = QTE = Best game ever

QTE is the KING if it's done right. And this is Capcom we're talking about, not Santa Monica Studios.

Endless said:
• The names of Bayonetta's guns are Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme.Together, they're known as Scarborough Fair.

Thats just..:lol :lol
The more I hear about this game, the sillier it sounds..if it wasn't by Kamiya, I would expect a really so-bad-its-good product.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i thought prince of persia two thrones had a very nice, elegant solution to the q.t.e. problem: when you needed to press a button, the dagger glowed blue, and if you missed it, you got your ass handed to you. there was no giant button all over the screen reminding you that you're playing a game, and it made sense within the game's story. there are plenty of ways to do it besides plastering X and O floating over enemies' heads when they're ready to be thrashed.

Mamesj

Banned
Seiken said:
Guys.

NG = No QTE = Good game

QTE is the KING if it's done right. And this is Capcom we're talking about, not Santa Monica Studios.

gotta politely disagree there. So it was entertaining and a bit useful in God Hand, it was still repetitive (if only because the enemies in God Hand take 10 years to die.) but I liked how the enemy could roll out of the stomping QTE though--that took away the "automatically safe" feeling most QTEs provide.

Hopefully he'll find a better solution this time around.

TreIII

Seiken said:
Guys.

NG = No QTE = Good game

Well, it's not QUITE Capcom any more, since these guys aren't with said company. :lol

But yes, we ARE dealing Capcom-level pedigree here. There's no doubt about that.

Mamesj said:
gotta politely disagree there. So it was entertaining and a bit useful in God Hand, it was still repetitive (if only because the enemies in God Hand take 10 years to die.) but I liked how the enemy could roll out of the stomping QTE though--that took away the "automatically safe" feeling most QTEs provide.

I dunno. To me, the QTE moments really added more to the "coup de grace". After all, by the time you got proficient in the game, enemies getting stunned was a reward, and the QTEs were just the way to help polish them off.

And besides, it's not like the game spoon-fed the QTEs to you that much. You really had to earn them, or had spot on timing with a number of them (see: dudes/demons trying to grab you from behind and such).

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Mamesj said:

Oh NOW you've done it!

Just kidding, fair enough - I can respect people who don't like badly put QTE's :)

SapientWolf said:
I think gamers are arguing for sexuality with a little more depth and maturity. But at this point I'd be willing to settle for anything different from the usual half naked woman with ridiculous proportions and zero personality. I have no problem with the female form, but like abstract alien said, what is presented is not as important as how it is presented.

It's too early to make a call on Bayonetta either way. However, I would really like to hear more about the main character's backstory, which is more than I can say for most vg characters.

I can't even begin to fathom what sort of reaction we'll see when gaming narratives approach some hollywood-level stuff, including nudity and sex scenes. I'm not one of these basement geeks clamoring for fan service, merely I just want sexuality in gaming to be properly done. Very few games have been able to cast female characters without oversexualizing them, so it's nice when we see a female character who is sexy, but doesn't need a DD chest to get the point home. Take Parasite Eve's Aya Brea. She was able to be sexy merely by having character and a take-no-shit attitude. She was fully dressed throughout the entire game, barely exposing any skin.

Belgand

disappeared said:
I can't even begin to fathom what sort of reaction we'll see when gaming narratives approach some hollywood-level stuff, including nudity and sex scenes. I'm not one of these basement geeks clamoring for fan service, merely I just want sexuality in gaming to be properly done. Very few games have been able to cast female characters without oversexualizing them, so it's nice when we see a female character who is sexy, but doesn't need a DD chest to get the point home. Take Parasite Eve's Aya Brea. She was able to be sexy merely by having character and a take-no-shit attitude. She was fully dressed throughout the entire game, barely exposing any skin.

Gotta agree. A friend of mine already expressed concerns based on merely hearing that there was a game where the main character transformed her hair into stiletto boots to fight with. While I disagree with that, the point is that this is an intelligent person concerned about the portrayal of her gender in games, not the girl complaining about Fat Princess.

Beyond Good and Evil managed to have a female main character that was not at all sexualized and was drawn in such a way that she could be viewed as being a part of just about any race. I think this is more what people want to see.

At the same time sometimes sexualizing a character isn't always a bad thing. Men are often portrayed just as unrealistically without much in the way of complaints.

I think the issue is that we need to start trying to reach a degree of parity. A male character can easily exist that isn't portrayed in a heavily unrealistic fashion, but it's very uncommon to find a female character portrayed in any way but a sexual one.

This game looks good and based on Clover's reputation I'm definitely interested, but some things, namely the increasingly revealing outfit, are probably a pretty bad idea. If there's going to be fan service, maybe balance it out with something for the ladies as well so nobody can complain.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
awsome complaint
:/

Thanks but it's not really much of a complaint as much as a highly upheld opinion. I remember the PS3/360 fanboys going "WTF was that!?!?" and "I wish MadWorld was on the PS3/360. . ." after they peeped the trailers for these new games.

Bayonetta trailer = crap. Not rating the whole game on it or some stupid crap like that but that trailer gave me a crap impression.

kylej

Banned
Amir0x said:
I have no problem with nude chicks in videogames on principle, despite the fact that it's an impossibility for me to ever be attracted to a polygon bitch. The thing I have an issue with is the abject objectification of these polygon whores like some fucking pimply geeks fever dream fanfic.

At this point I'm crying to the wind, obviously, because the industry will do whatever-the-fuck. But since I'm not part of the perpetual virgin clan, I guess I can't sympathize with them.

ahahahaha

Helzown

It's funny, even though I know it exists... most of me believes the game is fake based on this info. Good God :lol

This game sounds fantastic. Getting a boner has to be the best reward ever for pulling off awesome combos in an action game.

Seiken said:
Guys.

NG = No QTE = Good game

QTE in God Hand is great bacause most of it involved hot blooded button mashing while yelling "ATATATATATATATATATATTATATATATA."

roMonster

Great read. Bayonetta and God of War III in '09--I can't wait.

2im2xib.png

(photoshopped it myself :D)

zoukka

Black-Wind said:
Bayonetta trailer = crap. Not rating the whole game on it or some stupid crap like that but that trailer gave me a crap impression.

You've got issues man. The trailer was cool. The trailer was also super-short and consisted of CGI only. So I really don't get what you're after here.

And wtf makes the first MadWorld trailer any better? A dude dismembering other dudes??

Top Bottom