• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • The Politics forum has been nuked. Please do not bring political discussion to the rest of the site, or you will be removed. Thanks.

New boku no natsuyasumi game coming for switch, Crayon Shin-chan "Ora and Dr. Summer Vacation" -A Seven-Day Trip That Never Ends-

Impotaku

Jul 26, 2014
Leeds / UK
One of the handful of titles that the Japanese Nintendo direct got but not the west was this curious game. At first glance it looked familiar as i'm a huge fan of the playstation series of boku no natsuyasumi games where you live through a summer through the eyes of a kid just exploring, playing & having fun Japanese kid style. They are set in very scenic parts of rural Japan with each game taking place in a certain year. In Japan it's a pretty niche series & the only time the west got even a glimpse of it was via the attack of the friday monsters on 3DS. Seems that Kaz Ayabe who directed the original boku no natsuyasumi games is also making this one which is why it looks so similar to the boku natsu games of the past. While it's not an official follow on to the boku natsu series it's as close as we are going to see to this style of game nowadays.

This was the last time one would be released, this one was on PSP

And now we have one with crayon Shin chan, this new game is set in the Kumamoto prefecture of Japan so that means Kumamon will be in there somewhere, he already appears in the trailer as a cameo wonder if he will be in game too? totally looking forward to having a silly summer adventure combining the oddness of shin chans exploits with beautiful rural Japanese small town scenery.

Crayon Shin-chan "Ora and Dr. Summer Vacation" -A Seven-Day Trip That Never Ends-

I doubt many others outside Japan are excited but i thought it deserved a thread at least for the people that love the series this one comes from.

Last edited:

Impotaku

Jul 26, 2014
Leeds / UK
That looks really good, is it japan only for now? Looks so chill.
Sadly they are usually only released in Japan, this one having shin chan in it too makes it tricky to bring over. The only one we ever got that was attack of the friday monster on 3DS and that one was kind of it's own thing but kept the same beautiful graphical style but was made by the same director & dev team at millenium kitchen. All the other games were import only ones but thankfully most made it to PSP so that was region free and the 3rd game was released on PS3 so another region free game. Thank god the switch has no region restrictions either as i will be getting this come summer.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: chaseroni

Zefah

Gold Member
Jan 7, 2007
FYI, "ora" is just Shin-chan's way of saying, I/me.

Something like my:
My Summer Vacation with the Professor

would be a bit more accurate for the title.

Impotaku

Jul 26, 2014
Leeds / UK
FYI, "ora" is just Shin-chan's way of saying, I/me.

Something like my:
My Summer Vacation with the Professor

would be a bit more accurate for the title.
I just copied the title from Nintendo's Japanese webpage that's how it was spelt on there although google translates as i browse so it may have mangled it.

Last edited:
Reactions: EDMIX

Impotaku

Jul 26, 2014
Leeds / UK
Thats a huge part of the appeal of those games all of them use beautiful hand drawn artwork for the locations. It gives them a look all of their own, love the art enough to get the only artbook of the series i could find.

Reactions: Zefah

NanaMiku

Jul 13, 2020
Famitsu released the first gameplay video and also confirmed that it is the developer of Boku no Natsuyasumi that working on this game

Reactions: EDMIX

CamHostage

Sep 30, 2004
Oh... I was wondering what the heck Impotaku was talking about for a second because Boku no Natsuyasumi is a Sony franchise (going all the way back to PS1, sadly the tradition ended at 4) and I couldn't imagine it was just now on Switch. But I get it now, spiritual successor...

Looks fun, I like the Shin-Chan simplistic character style implementation on the the painterly backgrounds, and the character seems like a fun one to just mess around in town. Will never get to play it (I held out hope for the PSP game but the series never got brought over,) but good to know it's out there.

NahaNago

Aug 29, 2014
I feel complicated about this trailer since I don't really like Crayon shin chan but I love the feel of the world in that trailer.

Reactions: Sakura

Impotaku

Jul 26, 2014
Leeds / UK
I was hoping it would be like the Doraemon x Story of Seasons game. Bandai Namco lately pretty good for bringing their Japanese games to Asian region with English text.

But the publisher of this game is Neos Corporation, which I never heard.
I forgot about Doraemon bokujou monogatari getting a western release that was pretty unexpected to say the least, maybe there's still a chance then as it's not like Doraemon games have ever been released in the west up to that point. Hell even the anime has only recently after all this time finally had a western dub. Shin chan did make it over here in anime form at least so it's not like he's totally unknown plus a few countries did get the shin chan DS games maybe they will take a risk on this as the switch does sell pretty great in most countries. Never heard of neos corporation either no idea if they are a totally new company or they have already made stuff, the last time one of these kind of games were released was attack of the friday monsters and that one was Kaz Ayabe and millenium kitchen working with level five.

Shinnosuke's exploits does change the tone of this game though compared to when it was just boku in them, thankfully i don't mind the clash of shin chans artstyle of the oddness of how he behaves but can understand how that would put someone off. It's been long overdue since a boku natsu style of game was released, in an ideal world i'd love to see the first 4 games get remastered into a compilation, the background art is so beautiful in these games it would be amazing so see them use it at full resolution especially for the older ones that made it onto PS1&2 but back in reality i'll take any new boku natsu game that i can get if it has the same feel of wandering around in the Japanese countryside. Looking forward to summer when this new game releases.

Last edited:
Reactions: CamHostage

GonSama

Jun 21, 2020
The art direction is great:

Last edited:

Yohanov

Neo Member
Jan 8, 2016
Coming from bokunatsu the trailer gives me an impression of a weird crossover, not as charming and detailed as boku, and not really taking advantage of switch capabilities? Some of the backgrounds seem déjà vu and better in older 3ds/playstation games. I'll still play it though.

Meesh

Jan 6, 2007
Canada
All I can think of when I watch the trailer for Shin Chan, is him dancing the elephant to the beat of his odd ball shenanigans lol.
And it's just a plain ol' lovely day to do all that. Just plain lovely lol. I need to play this!

Ladioss

Oct 21, 2018
I've never even heard of the name 'boku no natsuyasumi' before and I've thrilled for this new Shin-chan game since the last Nintendo Direct. I hope it will eventually find its way to the West.

Reactions: poodaddy

Rikku-X

Aug 1, 2020
If it doesn't come out in the west. Do theses games have Asian versions with english you sometimes see?

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: poodaddy

Meesh

Jan 6, 2007
Canada
I'll most certainly buy it if there's an option to have Morgan Freeman narrarate my daily exploits.

BusierDonkey

Sep 21, 2018
Every time I see chill Japanese games like these I wish Kiyohiko Azuma would have a Yotsuba&! game made by a decent studio. It could be a Shenmue style game where you're just kind of going through a pie-cut of the life of Yotsuba. Going fishing with her Dad and Jumbo, hanging out with the Ayase family next door, doing stupid shit that kids do. They could have "boss fights" against Yanda, the cardboard robot Danbo or any number of "bad guys" Yotsuba comes up with, real or not.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nok Su Kow