• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Character Revealed for KILLER INSTINCT (Spider Witch?)

plufim

Oh wow, her eyes are nothing but white. HOW ORIGINAL FOR A FIGHTING GAME.

...yes the biggest nitpick, but Christ am I sick of that trope.

Sydle

Okay, she looks cool and fun to play. So they have an aerial type as well.

I'd still like to see Orchid, but this is just as intriguing for me and will do for now.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
This was Double Helix's first wrong move for me.

1) Just going to say it: the design is garbage. She looks like a Soul Calibur reject. I like the spider web fighting style, but the design is horrible. Too many swirls and random adornments to really fit the Killer Instinct style.

This is said about every new fighting game character! She does look a little weird, but I think we need to give them time to explain her. I'm actually HAPPY there's an evil Female, because I was just looking through the KI characters, and Cinder and Fulgore being the only evil characters seemed pretty dull.

2) Nobody wanted a new female character before Orchid.

Not like it's out yet. We could either get Orchid as number 6, or should could be one of 7 or 8. If she's not, and this woman is "replacing" her for now, then yeah, I'll agree on a "character" standpoint, but not a gameplay one.

3) Let me clarify: You're only giving us 6 characters at launch. SIX. I can understand DH's desire to put their own stamp on things, but when you're relaunching a classic franchise that's been dormant for 17 years, and only giving us 6 characters to start, nobody wants a new character before the fan-favorites make an appearance. Nobody. N-O-B-O-D-Y. This thing should not have come before Orchid, Fulgore, Spinal, Cinder, and TJ Combo. Nobody cares about this new character.

It's a new game. Everyone doesn't really HAVE to come back, and some of them could be replaced by Relatives / new characters, and it might not be bad.

I do think it's good that they seem to intend to bring everyone back in this case, but I can't say I'm not more excited to see how she works, compared to Combo or Riptor...

4) Also, bad form for teasing a new character. You don't tease new characters. They don't have fanbases and nobody gives a shit about them (#SorryBoutIt). There's nothing to tease. You just fucking show them. This teaser showed us more than the Thunder teaser, but Thunder's teaser was infinitely more satisfying because we KNOW Thunder. Learning that he was returning (especially after having missed KI2) released waves of nostalgia and gave us TONS to speculate. With this person, all we can do is look.

Bad form, DH. Bad form.

I can't really agree to this. NEW things are EXACTLY what you tease. "Hey guys, Here's Cinder! He's still a former arsonist, still escaped from the Arhorities at the end of KI2, and... errr... guess what?!?" -2 weeks later- "He's STILL a former Arsonist, and STILL running! But he killed a guy along the way! OOOO!"

Yet with this new character, all we have are question.

What's her Origin? What Faction is she working for? Is she possibly from a new group? Does she have anything to do with another character's past? Could she have killed Thunder's Brother?

There's much more to speculate about an unknown, than a returner.

---

Mostly, I'm just happy they didn't take your beloved B.Orchid, and force her to be this character. That's better, right?

UraMallas

I'm pretty disappoint in this new character. I would rather have the original KI character then this abomination.
Oh, Lord. Abomination? She looks better than a few female KI characters in this very thread so if making a cool design for a female character is an abomination to KI then bring on the sacrilege. I welcome thee.

royalan

Was this interview not legitimate or something, or are people forgetting that Fulgore, Spinal and Cinder were all confirmed to be returning?

Riptor and Orchid fans have more and more to worry about if I'm being honest. >_>

EDIT: Oh wait, I see the source of that article is dubious.

Sis, I'm not here for this. DH is tryin it.

Anyway, I always took that interview to mean that Cinder, Fulgore and Spinal were going to make it into the game at some point.

But I'm kinda getting worried, because Orchid is becoming the one OG character that they just aren't acknowledging in any sort of way. Unlike the other KI1 characters, they haven't even mentioned her yet. And she's not just ANY character, she's one of the series most popular. If anyone has a claim to top billing, it's Orchid.

I'm tweeting Anna Sarkeesian about this.

Delt31

Dude, I know the feeling. I am a massive fulgore fan... To the point where he is the only player I ever use.

But there's a chance I won't see him. There's only so many character spots for season 1.

There's other people who feel the same way about cinder, spinal, orchid, combo and riptor (omg the riptor fans on DH forums... So many)

So I will play whatever they give us with the expectation that everyone will be in by season 2

hold on here - orchid and fulgore fans are 10 to 1 to the others. DH's own poll showed the exact same. What I feel is going on is that they're holding off on these two to pull us into Season 2. I love KI so I'll be there for every season but those who are just passing - we need to get their attention and not including the games ryu and ken is handicapping the game from day 1. Tell me orchid and fulgore would get less attention then these new characters.....

Kalm

Sis, I'm not here for this. DH is tryin it.

Anyway, I always took that interview to mean that Cinder, Fulgore and Spinal were going to make it into the game at some point.

But I'm kinda getting worried, because Orchid is becoming to one OG character that they just aren't acknowledging in any sort of way. Unlike the other KI1 characters, they haven't even mentioned her yet. And she's not just ANY character, she's one of the series most popular. If anyone has a claim to top billing, it's Orchid.

I'm tweeting Anna Sarkeesian about this.

Wasn't there an Mick Gordon interview posted not too long ago where he said he was currently working on the themes for Orchid and a new female character?

Well, here's the new character. Orchid next?

gAg CruSh3r

Oh, Lord. Abomination? She looks better than a few female KI characters in this very thread so if making a cool design for a female character is an abomination to KI then bring on the sacrilege. I welcome thee.

Well they could of at least picked a better MK female character. I just feel like this Character is kinda offset to KI.

.la1n

Wasn't there an Mick Gordon interview posted not too long ago where he said he was currently working on the themes for Orchid and a new female character?

Mick had mentioned something about a character not being as much of a "cheerleader" anymore and we assumed that this most likely meant Orchid.

So I guess that's everyone considering what we've been told before

Confirmed/Shown

Jago
Chief Thunder
Glacius
Saberwulf
New Character

Verbally confirmed but not shown

Spinal
Cinder
Fulgore

Can someone explain how TJ Combo and Orchid were left out in favor of Chief Thunder or Cinder :/ ?

Delt31

I think he said he was doing the music for a former cheerleader which would be orchid (as she does backflips in OG KI). Thanks for reminding me of that though b/c it makes me feel that Orchid is next.

Jawmuncher

Really cool character design.

BUT seems a bit odd to throw in a new character when the roster will only be 8 and you have a fanbase that would like to see all the series mainstays first,

.la1n

Confirmed/Shown

Jago
Chief Thunder
Glacius
Saberwulf
New Character

Spinal
Cinder
Fulgore

Can someone explain how TJ Combo and Orchid were left out in favor of a new character and Chief Thunder :/ ?

I imagine whoever doesn't make it could possibly be positioned as a selling point for a second wave of character releases. They would need at least one big headliner to really sell it and it seems Orchid or Fulgore would fit the bill. I'm just speculating though.

gAg CruSh3r

Confirmed/Shown

Jago
Chief Thunder
Glacius
Saberwulf
New Character

Spinal
Cinder
Fulgore

Can someone explain how TJ Combo and Orchid were left out in favor of a new character andChief Thunder :/ ?

Remember it's just "Thunder" now according to MS.

I was hoping for Monkey King

I kinda figured it would be someone who can move around like that based on what was said. I appreciate them trying to make a new character (unlike Ed Boon)

abadguy

Banned
Really cool character design.

BUT seems a bit odd to throw in a new character when the roster will only be 8 and you have a fanbase that would like to see all the series mainstays first,

Maybe this is how they will do every season. 8 characters one of which is an original DH character while the rest are made up of the old cast.

I imagine whoever doesn't make it could possibly be positioned as a selling point for a second wave of character releases. They would need at least one big headliner to really sell it and it seems Orchid or Fulgore would fit the bill. I'm just speculating though.

Isn't Fulgore the poster child of the series? How on Earth would he not make the initial release?

Some guy on Gamefaqs had a really well developed theory/explanation that he won't see Fulgore and B.Orchid until they are absoluetly done with this game in a year + in order to maximize profits

.la1n

Isn't Fulgore the poster child of the series? How on Earth would he not make the initial release?

It is someone that would sell a second season easily. Assuming that's how they'd want to position a character like that. Doesn't mean it will happen.

Seriously if you can only fit 8 characters into your KI3/Reboot thing wouldn't you start by picking the 7 characters who were in both games? Jago, Saberwulf, Fulgore, Glacius, TJ Combo, Orchid, and Spinal. After that you could either add a new character or pick a character who was only in one game such as a Cinder or Chief Thunder.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Some guy on Gamefaqs had a really well developed theory/explanation that he won't see Fulgore and B.Orchid until they are absoluetly done with this game in a year + in order to maximize profits

And I'd be ok with that, to be honest. Orchid and fulgore are characters you cannot fuck up. They have to nail everything about them.

Id rather that character be one we had to wait until Feb. for but i guess they wanted to include that fighting style in the initial set.

Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing actually, but I've been fearful of actually saying it out loud....

With a roster as small as KI's there is no reason for any character to be left out, really.

The full version should have the full roster.

Seriously if you can only fit 8 characters into your KI3/Reboot thing wouldn't you start by picking the 7 characters who were in both games?

If I was making a new fighting game, I would include a new character (or several) because it's not a remake, it's a new game.

royalan

To me it would have made infinitely more sense to position the KI2 characters as the selling point for Season 2, and since there are only 4 of them that would leave them plenty of room to pad out with new characters. Kinda like how the first iteration of Street Fighter IV made sure to start with the original 8 characters, and then branched out from there.

It just doesn't feel right to leave OG characters out of the initial release, especially the two most popular. It feels like a cheap move.

That'd be like making Sub Zero and Sonya Blade dlc in the next Mortal Kombat game

DLC character shouldn't be series staples, it should be cult fan favorites

To me it would have made infinitely more sense to position the KI2 characters as the selling point for Season 2, and since there are only 4 of them that would leave them plenty of room to pad out with new characters. Kinda like how the first iteration of Street Fighter IV made sure to start with the original 8 characters, and then branched out from there.

It just doesn't feel right to leave OG characters out of the initial release, especially the two most popular. It feels like a cheap move.

That logic is completely backwards.

You sell more DLC/your expansion version sells better when it has characters people want more. If you put the characters people actually want in from the beginning, who's going to buy your DLC?

Also vanilla arcade Street Fighter IV's roster sucked ass, completely skipping alpha and 3 characters.

Characters important to the Alpha and 3 series should have gotten in initially instead of fucking Honda and goddamn Blanka.

Street Fighter IV had a terrible roster until Super.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Well we don't know who the last is... Or who the march/feb is.

Maybe they are doing orchid and fulgore as the feb/march character to take community feedback before releasing them?

.la1n

While I agree I also know that bigger things are at play here. Microsoft will want to maximize profits and if positioning a character or characters that are most wanted by fans into a future expansion means it will sell more then...

Not saying It will happen but it's a perspective worth entertaining. Obviously things like that would be out of DH's hands as well so I wouldn't really curse their name for it.

That'd be like making Sub Zero and Sonya Blade dlc in the next Mortal Kombat game

DLC character shouldn't be series staples, it should be cult fan favorites
By the time this games run is over, the majority of characters will be "dlc". This is not your typical game model, it's more forward thinking imo

royalan

And DH or MS wouldn't see a dime of my money until they're in the game.

I was JUST talking with friends about how watching the live streams of this game pretty much cemented me buying an XboxOne over any other title I've seen. But pulling some shit like this would yet another low blow from a system that has so far built its reputation on low blows.

Yado

Seriously if you can only fit 8 characters into your KI3/Reboot thing wouldn't you start by picking the 7 characters who were in both games? Jago, Saberwulf, Fulgore, Glacius, TJ Combo, Orchid, and Spinal. After that you could either add a new character or pick a character who was only in one game such as a Cinder or Chief Thunder.

They're probably leaving out a couple of the originals from the base game because they would sell more than new characters.

abadguy

Banned

Just a guess really, but i am thinking that DH are picking certain characters to fit the archetypes they want to introduce to KI.
Jago being the balance guy, Sabrewulf the rushdown, C Thunder the Grappler, Glacius the Zoner and now Spider lady, for aerial character? I dunno, seems like they are looking to introduce a new play style into KI through this character, and i am interested to find out more about her.

Synth

If I was making a new fighting game, I would include a new character (or several) because it's not a remake, it's a new game.

Then we need more that 6 (or 8) characters. They also needed to get Orchid AND Fulgore in the initial set. They're too important not to be there. I was happy with the Thunder reveal, but now I'm wondering how the hell did he make it in ahead of one of these two?

Gryph

Well that was unexpected.

I thought this game was a totally shameless cash in on KI nostalgia but maybe it has some internal drive after all.

Good job DH.

royalan

That logic is completely backwards.

You sell more DLC/your expansion version sells better when it has characters people want more. If you put the characters people actually want in from the beginning, who's going to buy your DLC?

How is it backwards? It's a natural progression. Start with the originals, work your way to KI2. It's how pretty much every game does it.

Besides, it's not like the characters introduced in KI2 don't have fans.

Sorry, but finding out who your fan favorites are just so you can purposely hold them back to get people to buy season 2 DLC is a fucking shot to the nuts. No way I would support that.

Top Bottom