• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crash Bandicoot design spotted at Vicarious Visions office

Muku

b4y2O.jpg

t3Pvm.jpg

q5qdW.jpg

I'M GONNA EAT YOUR SOUL

Woah, holy hell. I think it just ate my soul.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Yeaaaah.. I love the first 3 Crash games, but his design is classic 90's awful. He's wearing jorts, after all. That said, I found this image online of his redesign history-

I always thought the 2007 redesign, tribal tattoos aside, was actually pretty cute. In-game he didn't talk and was kind of goofy. It was actually a pretty good modern interpretation of his character from the 90's but I know it gets a TON of hate.
2005 Crash looks like he fell on some hard times and developed a crack addiction. Look how skinnier he is, his eyes look craziest, and he's pale.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The design is ugly... but Crash sticking out his tongue has been in his original design.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
With every new design he only looks derpier. The only good Crash design was the very first one. How do they continually make him worse?

Brashnir

I don't care one way or another about the design - Crash was always a stupid-looking character. That said, there's about zero chance of anyone coming along and making a decent game based on the IP, so who cares?

I'd rather play some indie game based on the gameplay of the original CB games (with some tweaks for modernity) than play some publisher-born Crash game that barely even resembles the original in anything other than name.

Alec

I actually contend, to this day, that Crash 1 is one of the hardest games to 100% ever made. ...And that's why I love it.

I even though Wrath of Cortex was pretty decent. But everything after that has been irredeemable. :(

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
I actually contend, to this day, that Crash 1 is one of the hardest games to 100% ever made. ...And that's why I love it.

I even though Wrath of Cortex was pretty decent. But everything after that has been irredeemable. :(

Wrath of Cortex is pretty good, as it's basically just a sort of 'best of' compilation of levels/level ideas from Crash 1-3. Never played Twinsanity, but Crash of the Titans and Mind over Mutant were turrrrrrrrrible.

Brashnir

Sorry guys, but Crash Bandicoot was always bad. It was trying to be a platformer on a racing track.

What does that have to do with anything? It was a platformer. The fact that it was on a linear path is neither a good nor bad thing. 2D platformers are on a straight path too, are they all bad games?

elektrixx

Banned
What does that have to do with anything? It was a platformer. The fact that it was on a linear path is neither a good nor bad thing. 2D platformers are on a straight path too, are they all bad games?

It was garbage next to Mario 64's proper open worlds and no load screens.

To be quite serious, I always hated the original PlayStation.

Brashnir

It was garbage next to Mario 64's proper open worlds and no load screens.

To be quite serious, I always hated the original PlayStation.

Might as well say that Contra is crap next to Doom. Your ridiculous preconceptions have ruined one of the all-time great games for you. I feel sorry for you.

Ploid 3.0

Oh my goodness, I feel so sorry for a fake character. That picture says a lot of words. You can almost hear him asking to be saved.

Murrah

Banned
I dunno if people have super nostalgia goggles on or what, but this really isn't a bad redesign at all. But regardless of if you like it or not, any hypothetical future Crash game isn't for us anyway; at most it's an IP to lean on for familiarity so parents would buy it for their kids

I loved the PS1 Crashes too, but it's a pretty dated design from an awkward period of the industry and pop culture in general. Not Mickey Mouse

Lijik

I dont get it when people say Wrath of Cortex was decent. The controls are so wonky feeling its almost unacceptable. Twinsanity should be the non-ND game that gets praise.

I think people don't really remember crash. He was always derp as fuck and full of juvenil "humor".

Nostalgia is a hell of a drug

I dont completely hate that design but I would need to see a better quality pic of it.

Crash's design was designed around the ps1's limitations. Updating it while keeping the charm of the old design is tricky. Heck thats the problem with making new Crash games. The linear nature of those games was because the ps1 couldnt really do open 3d worlds like Mario 64. Does a new Crash game have to be like a mario / Jak and Daxter and clank game were you can run around the world and explore or will it just be the straight line course of old?

What did they for the ps2 Crash games? Never touched them.

And Vicarious worked on those Crash and Spyro GBA games so I guess they should at least be familure with the world?

Lijik

Wrath of Cortex, Titans, and Mind over Mutant are all linear levels. Wrath is basically the PS1 games in how it plays in every way possible. In MoM, all the levels are interconnected as one giant world you have to move back and forth between.

Twinsanity was interesting because while most of the game was linear, every so often there would be an open Mario 64 esque area you could optionally explore to find hidden gems.

Bear

It's not amazing, but it's really not that bad either. The giant arms look pretty goofy but besides that it looks fine. Crash always had the 90s "extreme" thing going on so that's nothing new.

After Skylanders, I feel like we dodged a bullet with this one.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho

Crash Bandicoot: The Wrath of Cortex and Crash Twinsanity both are made by Traveller's Tales and were kinda decent I guess,Cortex was very "faithful" to the PSone games in design but very flawed and have serios issues(bad platforming, bad levels design, crazy ass 8 mins intro,awful loading times..ect,Crash Twinsanity was just an average Jak 1 clone.

TheOGB

Banned
This redesign grew on me really quickly. The face is damn perfect, and I can honestly get over the arms because haha what the fuck. It is troubling that he now looks perfect for Skylanders, but at least he'll be the best-looking character if that's the case. I'd love it if there weren't any interaction between the two, but if there is, i'd hope it's a new game with a "crossover cameo" in Skylanders. Hell, make Crash's figure only available with his new game. That'll get it to sell. :V

I still think the worst redesign goes to
He got re-redesigned, but he still looks like he does crystal meth. As does Crash Bandicoot. Crash needs to go back to the 90's for looks.
lol Even down to the neckace thingy. Wow.

I think the Crash redesign looks good. But I've never cared for Crash or his look so...

Castcoder

Banned
I'm just hoping it ends up as just concept art and the hands and feet aren't actually that big in the game, if it is a game. I hope that Vicarious Visions and Activision are actually reading reactions to his arms and feet and thinking about changing the design. Then again, Skylanders still happened even after the negative character design response for Spyro...

VertPin

I'm just hoping it ends up as just concept art and the hands and feet aren't actually that big in the game, if it is a game. I hope that Vicarious Visions and Activision are actually reading reactions to his arms and feet and thinking about changing the design. Then again, Skylanders still happened even after the negative character design response for Spyro...

lol you were that guy off the crash mania forum. And who cares, its just his arms and feet. His face isn't deformed at all.

Salsa

it looks better than tribal tattoo crash and it means nothing as far as we know right? I mean it could be just a version they came up with during development of an old game and they liked it enough to hang it there or something

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
This is what Crash looked like the canceled 2010 Radical reboot:

Crash2010concept.jpg

Considering I rip on new Crash designs and tend to think they're universally awful, I'll just chime in and say that this one looks great and is totally something I could get behind for a new Crash game. It's the best look he's had since the original game; shame to hear this version got canned.

I like it. He looks like a doofy fellow like he's supposed to be. I especially like the way his eyes look.

People always get bent out of shape when something gets redesigned. This looks a million times better then the new Spyro though, so I'm happy.

Top Bottom