• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Crazy Taxi announced (mobile, out now)

Danneee

F2P. Mobile.

Do these kind of games really sell enough to make the choice to go mobile instead of console easy? Or is it that not as much effort needs to be put in it?

Synth

This game isn't replacing a potential sequel. It's this or nothing.

And I'll take something over nothing 100% of the time.

I don't think this is necessarily true (although in this particular case it seems likely). For example, I'm not convinced that in a world where Resident Evil 4 didn't happen, that there wouldn't have been any more classic styled RE games. Once Resident Evil 4 existed however, that was pretty much assured.

It's the reason people have a tendency to freak out when something like Ridge Racer: Unbounded, Ace Combat: Assault Horizon, Sonic BOOM and the like appear. The worry is that if the revenue created by these entries validates the change of direction, it could be the last you ever see of what the series used to be.

Metallix87

And enter all the bitching about it being a mobile game. I honestly don't get all the mobile hate here.
This is clearly a lesser experience made to extort money out of you, all while tarnishing the name of a great franchise. Mobile is just death for games, IMO.

Sega has had a big push at mobile... and they aren't being super evil(deceptive microtransactions) about it.

8-4 Play's podcast from Feb 21st has Ethan Einhorn as a special guest, He's been with SEGA for a long time and is currently involved with their mobile division. He gives alot of interesting insight on how sega now approaches what they want to do with their mobile stuff. It's well worth a listen.

To all the reactions for it being a phone game.. Sega has said that its focusing on mobile, unless it's total war or a new sonic game, it's gonna be for phones...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I love that I can just call it, before clicking on a thread, when I'm about to be trolled the shit out of.

The way it works is,

1. I see a franchise I like

Actually, that's it. Gaming is a culture of disappointment these days.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I've been playing the remake of the original Crazy Taxi on iOS and it actually controls very nicely. F2P is troubling enough, but the on-rails aspect is what totally turns me off from this. It's doesn't have to be like that!

Is this published by Sega? They're normally one of a the only major publishers to actually release quality content on mobile platforms.

hughesta

Banned
I wonder what kind of in app purchases this will have? 99 cents for a gallon of gas? Honestly if you can pay for cheesy rock music I wouldn't mind.

Mister D

New Crazy Taxi...... F2P and Mobile. Never has my dick gotten so hard and gone soft so fast, and that's something my ex-wife can vouch to.

clem84

Gold Member
Mobile? Free to play? Touch controls? on rails gameplay?

*barfs*

Another truly great franchise ruined by mobile gaming.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
This game isn't replacing a potential sequel. It's this or nothing.

And I'll take something over nothing 100% of the time.
I guess it's vaguely possible this does really well and gives Sega enough confidence in the IP to do a proper console outing.

But still, man... why use a franchise with a clear structure to make a game that's totally divorced from that structure? Stage-based and on-rails is the very antithesis of Crazy Taxi.

jett

D-Member
xypeiqI.png

You can't trick me anymore GAF.

Petrae

I'll certainly give it a shot. Free-to-play means that I've got nothing to lose in trying it, unlike spending money to try console or handheld games and hoping that I like them.

If I like it, I might spend a few bucks. If not, I'll delete it and go back to my console versions of the original. (Or even play the original on iOS, thanks to those of you who pointed out that it's free for now)

Lernaean

Banned
Good job Sega, thank you very much.
Keep releasing arcade classics to the crowd that weren't even born in the NAOMI era.
Please don't forget to show us which way we can go to screw ourselves.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
A new Crazy Taxi! YEAH! YEAH! YEAH!! YEAAHHHHH!!!!!!

Crazy Taxi: City Rush is the new free-to-play sequel from series creator Kenji Kanno and Hardlight Studios. it’s coming to iPhone, iPad, iPod touch and Android devices later this year.

NO! NO! NO!!! NNOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why would they do this? :(

Silky

Banned
I can do mobile.

I can do F2P.

But I will not play an on-rails Crazy Taxi

The game looks good but...on rails?! seriously?!?!?!?! come the fuck on, SEGA

KingJ2002

figured.

although this game translates well to mobile there is so much potential when it comes to creating a full on console experience. Imagine the taxi battles you could have with a bigger world. a new crazy taxi game would have been better suited for PSN / XBLA / NN instead

Silky

Banned
It will even feature licensed punk music PLUS the ability to import songs and create your own crazy soundtrack.

HMMM....well that does soften the blow a bit...

City Rush will be free to play, with both a soft and hard currency for players to earn through gameplay or purchase. The money you earn from completing missions and performing stunts can be spent on new taxis, car upgrades, and cosmetic features. The upgrades will improve your car’s engine, body, power, tires, and provide other bonuses. And the cosmetic features let you add all kinds of paint jobs and decals (not to mention physical decorations like bull horns) to your ride. Dare we hope for Sonic decals?

...sigh fuck it. I will play an on rails Crazy Taxi ugh

monlo

All free to play bullshit aside...

When you watch the gameplay, you see the way it controls is like any free runner game out there. i.e. on rails, but you tap the screen to move left lane to right lane, etc.

How the fuck do you do find shortcuts in an on-rails racer?

Oh wait. You don't.

Fucking garbage

Vlade

And enter all the bitching about it being a mobile game. I honestly don't get all the mobile hate here.

There is a trend of taking a beloved and established name, releasing a game with that name but with none of the fun that made that name great, on mobile. It causes a negative reaction because sometimes people who were attracted by that name wanted to see the fun they hed with it. They don't. It's a cash in on the credibility that game had. People in general don't like dishonesty. Calling it "Crazy Taxi" in this case is a tacit promise that it will have something beyond the superficial to do with it. Instead it's closer to a scam. The negativity seems extremely understandable.

It's not like someone was so generous in giving us a next entry in the series. This is less than nothing, it basically is an insult to people who would be most attracted by the name.

If this trend continues, people are going to start getting the impression that mobile games aren't fun.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Quite the opposite. City Rush looks to have a better game structure than the original.
'More strictly defined' doesn't mean 'better.' Would a GTA game where you're funneled down a hallway for 2 minutes, given a ranking, and kicked back to the stage select menu be a better game structure?

Yeah, how dare they make great mobile sequels for people who like playing mobile games. :p
Generally, one should probably not throw around the label of a game as "great" until, I dunno, the game is actually available, maybe? Seems like a good bar minimum if you want to not look like an utter loon about the opinion.

Top Bottom