• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Cry On (X360) information + some Famitsu 360 news

****, they changed artists. Game ruined for me.

It's not that I like Cavia but their artist is amazing and I was really hyped about it before.

Kafel

Banned
What is the concept behind Cry On exactly ?

Looking at the artwork, it seems like a Shadow of the Colossus-like.

So Cry-On is another Microsoft RPG, as I said many times although jarrod wanted me to put it as a 3rd party RPG ;)

wow at Blue Dragon localization, I can see it doing VERY good in France, Spain, Italy and such thanks to Toriyama + Dub in our languages.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
So Cry-On is another Microsoft RPG, as I said many times although jarrod wanted me to put it as a 3rd party RPG ;)

wow at Blue Dragon localization, I can see it doing VERY good in France, Spain, Italy and such thanks to Toriyama + Dub in our languages.
Did the publisher also change from AQ Interactive?

jj984jj

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Dunno, I meant its Mistwalker+Artoon again.
Mistwalker could've just wanted to work with Artoon again after working with them on BD and AQ allowed them to do so, we don't know if they handed the project to MS or not since neither developer is owned by MS. Basically this is all possible and it still could be AQ's project.

jj984jj said:
Mistwalker could've just wanted to work with Artoon again after working with them on BD and AQ allowed them to do so, we don't know if they handed the project to MS or not since neither developer is owned by MS. Basically this is all possible and it still could be AQ's project.
Actually I forgot Artoon is also part of AQ. Who is going to publish this outside Japan? I still think this is a Microsoft exclusive because of Mistwalker and so a Microsoft game since they own Mistwalker...

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Actually I forgot Artoon is also part of AQ. Who is going to publish this outside Japan? I still think this is a Microsoft exclusive because of Mistwalker and so a Microsoft game since they own Mistwalker...

Erm what? MS doesn't own Mistwalker either. Where are you getting these bonus nonsense facts from?

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
There hasn't been any media released on ASH has there? Blue Dragon and Lost Odessy looks great, if ASH is getting released soonish, how come we haven't seen anything?

Luckett_X

Banned
Wow. Cry On was on my list of must haves before, but now its seemingly responsible for bringing Kusunoki back into games design majorly...wow. Mistwalker and Artoon have pretty much cemented themselves as my new favourite developers after Yoshi's Island DS, Blue Dragon and now this. And if Sakaguchi is so excited, I can't wait to see a real joint project between them both, originating with a Kusunoki idea.

jj984jj

Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Artoon and Mistwalker are independent studios. This game was announced by AQ Interactive and as duckroll said it's still being published by AQ Interactive in Japan. It currently has not being announced for North American but I'm sure someone will bring it over.

Thunderbear said:
There hasn't been any media released on ASH has there? Blue Dragon and Lost Odessy looks great, if ASH is getting released soonish, how come we haven't seen anything?
All we've see are the three screens from when it was announced, though no gameplay IIRC (but I think they said the scenes fit into the normal gameplay or something).

Aside from Square-Enix, we don't seem to have much of an idea of what is coming on the DS this year beyond March from anyone (not even Nintendo).

I don't see what's so great about this new guy, he's done nothing but be involved in games I don't like. Of course the same is for the other guy but at least his art was good.

jj984jj said:
Artoon and Mistwalker are independent studios. This game was announced by AQ Interactive and as duckroll said it's still being published by AQ Interactive in Japan. It currently has no North American release date but I'm sure someone will bring it over.
Isn't AQ Artoon+Cavia+Feel Plus? Its not like AQ is outsourcing the game...

Now Mistwalker, I don't get you or duckroll, its funded by Microsoft... aren't they supposed to be included in Microsoft Game Studios Japan?

Mistwalker to you is like Level 5 for example?

duckroll

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

Now Mistwalker, I don't get you or duckroll, its funded by Microsoft... aren't they supposed to be included in Microsoft Game Studios Japan?

It's not funded by Microsoft, it's not a part of Microsoft Game Studios. In fact, Mistwalker is not even a game development studio, they're a planning studio with a VERY small staff. Microsoft merely wanted to fund two major RPGs with Mistwalker doing the planning. The actual game development of Blue Dragon is 100% Artoon. There isn't a single programmer working at Mistwalker.

llTll

Banned
duckroll said:
It's not funded by Microsoft, it's not a part of Microsoft Game Studios. In fact, Mistwalker is not even a game development studio, they're a planning studio with a VERY small staff. Microsoft merely wanted to fund two major RPGs with Mistwalker doing the planning. The actual game development of Blue Dragon is 100% Artoon. There isn't a single programmer working at Mistwalker.

not true. MS didnt want only to fund 2 games from them. this entire generation, mistwalker is going to make games for xbox 360 only as home console. for handheld, MS doesnt care.

and from the relationship this is going, i wouldnt be surprised if mistwalker didnt continue to make games exclusive for the next gen xbox

in fact. these 2 are getting along together to the point they annouced Blue dragon is going to be a series and not just one game.

so i expect a sequal for it by the end of xbox 360 or for the next gen xbox

Orodreth

duckroll said:

But arent the IPS owned by Microsoft and/or Mistwalker?

And even if mistwalker is not funded by microsoft, the projects were/are, right?

duckroll said:
It's not funded by Microsoft, it's not a part of Microsoft Game Studios.
Then sir I have been deceived all this time because thats what I have heard since it was announced.

Going through your explanation, like Level 5 just with oursourced programming, could SCE approach Mistwalker and fund a project from them for PS3? I highly doubt it.

llTll

Banned
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
Then sir I have been deceived all this time because thats what I have heard since it was announced.

Going through your explanation, like Level 5 just with oursourced programming, could SCE approach Mistwalker and fund a project from them for PS3? I highly doubt it.

read my post

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Nice news all around... I'd love to read the Inafune and Itagaki bits as well...

I did read somewhere that a bit of the Itagaki story says that he's working on a "new action game" that I'm guessing is NG2... if if it's another action game that's being made on the side, that would be nice too since NG2 has already been announced to be in development and isn't exactly new...

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Ok. Nintendo has closed with Artoon's bad development and now they develop for Microsoft. Cannot wait to see the result !
The first result is Blue Dragon :D

u_neek

Good numbers for Blue Dragon. It'll probably do 200k before the end of the year if it keeps selling like this.

jj984jj

Kurosaki Ichigo said:

You are very confused, which I can understand since it's a very confusing set-up.

AQ Interactive = New publisher established in October 2005 (mainly to publish titles by Artoon, Cavia, and Feelplus [though not restricted to titles by these studios]), has a number of titles in the works but they own no developers AFAIK.

Artoon = A third-party development studio made in 1999 and has worked with Microsoft, Hudson Soft, and Nintendo in the past but are mostly known for their relationship with Microsoft. They have recently been working with AQ Interactive on Vampire Rain (just released in Japan) and now Cry On. However, they are free to work with other publishers like Microsoft (on games like Blue Dragon) and Nintendo (on games like Yoshi's Island DS) in the future.

Cavia = A third-party studio made in 2000, they are fairly huge but have mostly been noticed for the development of the Drakengard titles with Square-Enix.

Feelplus = A fully owned subsidiary of Cavia, they are even located in the same office. A new studio made with Mistwalker for the development of Lost Odyssey.

All of the above are part of the Nakayama Renaissance group, though aside from Feelplus they all operate independently. And lastly though it seems to have been cleared up:

Mistwalker = A studio Sakaguchi established when he left S-E, but nobody cared until they announced their partnership with Microsoft. They are not part of Microsoft.

open_mouth_

insert_foot_
As long as the flow of quality games for 360 is consistent in Japan, it can continue to carve out a nice niche. Dead Rising--> DOAX2 --> Blue Dragon --> Lost Planet --> Gears of War --> what's next? There's gotta be potentially good to great games coming out every month or so. Did winning 11 come out already? Fuzion Frenzy is an OK release, but stuff like VF5, Armored Core, Lost Odyssey, etc. are needed to help the 360 image more.

Matix

All this talk is nice, but it would be even better to see at least In-Game pics of these games (Cry-On -&- ASH specifaclly).

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Ok. Nintendo has closed with Artoon's bad development and now they develop for Microsoft. Cannot wait to see the result !

:lol

10.jpg

From MaruMaro to you: Thumbs up!

Orodreth

open_mouth_ said:
As long as the flow of quality games for 360 is consistent in Japan, it can continue to carve out a nice niche. Dead Rising--> DOAX2 --> Blue Dragon --> Lost Planet --> Gears of War --> what's next? There's gotta be potentially good to great games coming out every month or so. Did winning 11 come out already? Fuzion Frenzy is an OK release, but stuff like VF5, Armored Core, Lost Odyssey, etc. are needed to help the 360 image more.

There are also EDF3, Culdcept Saga, Idolmaster, Project Sylpheeed, oneechanbara (tities ftw) and Senko no ronde already

And some coming this year and supposed to be AAA like Trusty Bell, Infinite Undiscovery plus the treasure shooter and other lesser jrpgs...

I liked the old Cry On artstyle a lot more and this new concept art doesnt look very good but i still have hope for the game and i hope it doesnt disappoint.

Hype +10,000,000

Seriously, Kusonoki's design plus Sakaguchi's general whatever he's doing will make this game rock.

Also, I thought Feelplus were part funded by Microsoft.

Looks like a pretty sweet project. But did anyone notice any similarities between this and SotC, or is it just me. It still looks pretty cool.

bloke

Good move, Cavia is kinda hopeless anyway.
neo2046 said:
interview
Idea Factory
- new title to be revealed soon
Apparently they'll have 4 new games for 360 announced this year, wtf stop funding them MSJ.
From Soft guy also said they're working on new 360 game (not AC4) in the interview.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
XSamu said:
But Blue Dragon is done by Mistwalker?
I've posted this on the Blue Dragon topic a few weeks ago, this is from the credits booklet:
Main credits: 32 people (also credited elsewhere for the most part)
Voice actors: 39
Microsoft: 18 (marketing and also audio/art/game design)
Mistwalker: 9 (marketing/vp)
Artoon: ~300
Music: 15
Recording: 7
Sound: 8
CG (Robot) : 3
Story Unit ufo table: 5
CG Unit Shirogomi Inc: 45
Jet Studio: 7
Live Company LTD: 9
Sunny Gapen LTD: 3
Print: 3
Test: 13
Microsoft Games Studio: 39
Microsoft: 11
Microsoft tests: ~60

Artoon did all the grunt work on Blue Dragon except the CG cutscenes.
Most likely it will be the exact same thing for Cry On. Mistwalker doing the overall design (except the main graphical designer will be from Artoon) and planning.
Works for me :)
bloke said:
From Soft guy also said they're working on new 360 game (not AC4) in the interview.
Great news! I hope MS will have a new press briefing in Japan soon :)

Uncle

XSamu said:
But Blue Dragon is done by Mistwalker?

Mistwalker only designs the games and supervises the production. The coding is done by other firms like Artoon (Blue Dragon and now Cry On) and Feelplus (Lost Odyssey).

Edit: so slow.

duckroll said:
ASH = Q1-2 2007
LO = Mid-2007
Cry On = Originally end 2007, but there might be a delay now

Duckie, you really think LO is going to come in the middle of this year? Weren't you the one who was saying that LO needs way more time in the over after that demo playthrough?

Otherwise, I'd agree.

DarknessTear said:
****, they changed artists. Game ruined for me.

It's not that I like Cavia but their artist is amazing and I was really hyped about it before.

Art > than gameplay eh?

Expected nothing less from you.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Can someone tell me the concept for Cry-on? I remember reading of it a few months ago -- something about crying (as the name implies) and making the user....feel certain emotions.

I don't know what I think of the art. It has a definite SotC feel, but it's too early to judge. Only several pictures have been released....

Orodreth

The scan is really small to make comparisons against the first designs and also is it confirmed to be from the same character or stage?

I did like a lot the first, old ones. Remind me of Laputa from Ghibli.

The new one, if its the same character, looks more adult and stylized

Top Bottom