• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Cry On (X360) information + some Famitsu 360 news

Dali

Kabuki Waq said:
I am saying Art whores are just as bad as graphics whores.

Both overlook GAMEPLAY for visuals.

And I'm saying that visuals are what makes some games what they are. If MGS used a realistic style, you'd have Splinter Cell. Part of what makes Chrono Trigger so cool, are Toriyama's character designs and the personality that was added to them. Maybe in other genres things like character design and art direction aren't that important, but if these aspects are subpar in a rpg, then that is a huge flaw. RPGs are about immersion, and most people want to be immersed in a palatable environment.

Previously the character designer for Cry On was Kimihiko Fujisaka, of Drakengard "fame". But after Kusunoki worked with Sakaguchi on Blue Dragon, he shared his ideas on Cry On and they decided to collaborate on the project instead. Kusunoki is the main character and concept designer for Cry On now, and the level of collaboration is much higher than that of Blue Dragon (more comparable to the level of collaboration with Toriyama on Blue Dragon actually).

Why is this GREAT news?

This is not good news. Whatever you think of Drakengard the game series, Fujisaka is one of the best character designers around. =(

edit: although in fact the article credits Kusunoki for concept art, not explicitly character design, and doesn't actually say that Artoon as a while is developing, so maybe Fujisaka is still involved.

ethelred

Bizarro Sun Yat-sen said:
This is not good news. Whatever you think of Drakengard the game series, Fujisaka is one of the best character designers around. =(

Maybe, but Kusunoki is better, so it is good news.

In other news, it's confirmed that both Hideo Minaba and Satoshi Henmi (the arranger/lead guitarist on the Blue Dragon soundtrack) are working on Lost Odyssey too.

i'm glad seeing people arguing about two great art designers, that means great art for the game whoever is finally the lead designer. i hope Mistwalker will provide some new screens for ASH and Cry On in the next months, i'm much interested in their works.

has been scanned the rest of the "strategy 2007: files" of that Famitsu XBOX 360 issue?

reriel

intheinbetween said:
has been scanned the rest of the "strategy 2007: files" of that Famitsu XBOX 360 issue?
intheinbetween, what's happened to that your friend working on lost odyssey ? did you asked that kaim mute question related ?

reriel said:
intheinbetween, what's happened to that your friend working on lost odyssey ? did you asked that kaim mute question related ?

he told me some technical details about their work in Lost Odyssey:

they're using XSI (same for Devil May Cry 4, they're making its cinematics too). for Lost Odyssey they've decided to use Maya and Mental Ray for the renders, so all the files are converted first and then it's added much more detail with polygones, after that they alter the textures and light efects because what they get at first are just the models of the game. by the way they're all done.

he said that they still have work for Lost Odyssey until April or May, but he thinks that the game won't come out at lest 'til summer. as soon as i get news from him i will make you know it.

snoopers

I am multitalented
Interest +100. Glad they left the generic blue-haired animu crap of the previous artworks. The new draw reminds me of Laputa's art, and I love it. Now it finally begins, with a studio which has proven its quality, and a f*ckn awesome art director. Go Artoon !

duckroll

intheinbetween said:

they're using XSI (same for Devil May Cry 4, they're making its cinematics too). for Lost Odyssey they've decided to use Maya and Mental Ray for the renders, so all the files are converted first and then it's added much more detail with polygones, after that they alter the textures and light efects because what they get at first are just the models of the game. by the way they're all done.

he said that they still have work for Lost Odyssey until April or May, but he thinks that the game won't come out at lest 'til summer. as soon as i get news from him i will make you know it.

Does that mean they're not using ROBOT for Lost Odyssey FMV? That would be odd considering how they were willing to spend all that money on ROBOT for Blue Dragon, unless maybe XSI is only doing part of the FMV? ^^;

Orodreth

snoopers said:
Interest +100. Glad they left the generic blue-haired animu crap of the previous artworks. The new draw reminds me of Laputa's art, and I love it. Now it finally begins, with a studio which has proven its quality, and a f*ckn awesome art director. Go Artoon !

Thats kinda odd because the first designs do remind me of Laputa but the new ones, from what we can get out of the tiny scan, remind me more of Mononoke, more adult and stylized.

duckroll

I think it's worth mentioning that Kusunoki isn't exactly known for his character designs, but more of his general world design. He did tons of art image boards and planning concepts for Blue Dragon to establish a visual look for the world outside of Toriyama's character, mechanical and monster designs. He did the same thing on Panzer Dragoon.

In the end what Sakaguchi needed from him in Cry On is a "beautiful" look for the environments that you travel. The only reason he probably got the entire gig is because it would make less sense for Cavia and Artoon to both have core staffers on the game, and allowed Kusunoki to create everything visually would end up with a more unified look.

jett

D-Member
Dascu said:
Although a bit "off-topic", I just thought back of this:
ColossalKatamari.png

That is too awesome. You wouldn't have a higher-res picture somewhere now would you? :p

Wait.. wasn't Artoon also responsible for Vampire's Rain? >_>
I still prefer the older designs if anything the incredibly small concept piece doesn't do anything but lower my excitement for it. We'll wait and see I guess.

duckroll said:
I think it's worth mentioning that Kusunoki isn't exactly known for his character designs, but more of his general world design. He did tons of art image boards and planning concepts for Blue Dragon to establish a visual look for the world outside of Toriyama's character, mechanical and monster designs. He did the same thing on Panzer Dragoon.

In the end what Sakaguchi needed from him in Cry On is a "beautiful" look for the environments that you travel. The only reason he probably got the entire gig is because it would make less sense for Cavia and Artoon to both have core staffers on the game, and allowed Kusunoki to create everything visually would end up with a more unified look.

Yeah but if you look at the old Cry On scans it could have been a unique and beautiful looking game. I always wanted the Drakengard artist to go work somewhere other than Cavia because it's a waste of talent with their shitty game design.

madhtr

I like this news, I could use a Drakengard 3 anyway..... *cough* No, seriously, I enjoyed the series, and the art was just one aspect of it. I enjoyed the slaughtering of confused heavily armored, thinly brained thugs.

snoopers said:
If anything, I really found the old arts to be extremely generic. Not saying it was bad, but unique ?

And what isn't extremely generic to you? I definitely wouldn't classify Cry On's old art as extremely generic. You crazy!

snoopers

I am multitalented
DarknessTear said:
And what isn't extremely generic to you? I definitely wouldn't classify Cry On's old art as extremely generic. You crazy!

Maybe, but still. When I watch Cry On's old art, I feel like I've seen this kind of things a million times before. I mean, come one:

943_0002.jpg

I really like the new art better. I don't know exactly why, but the draw is more fragile, and there I see a unique feel, like when I see Amano artworks. So, of course, the scan is blurry, and it doesn't show enough to give a concrete and strong indication of Cry On's new direction, but so far, I like the feel of it, and I can't wait to see more.

reriel

intheinbetween said:

many thanks !

icecream said:
If anyone's interested...
1. Blue Dragon - 135,240
2. Dead or Alive 4 - 103,307
3. Ridge Racer 6 - 72,129
4. Dead or Alive Extreme 2 - 57,060
5. Dead Rising - 49.978
6. Lost Planet - 44,854
7. N3 - 38,019
8. RR:XX - 29,187
9. PDZ - 26,085
10. PGR3 - 25,058
11. Culdcept Saga - 23,947
12. eM ~Enchant Arms~ - 20,233
13. EDF3 - 18,813
14. NFS: Most Wanted - 17,973
15. WE10 - 16, 371
16. Bullet Witch - 16,241
17. FFXI - 15,754
18. Chomehounds - 13,110
19. Tenchu Senran - 12,876
20. Oneechanbara ~vorteX~ - 12,826
21. Project Sylpheed - 12,283
22. Shin Sangoku Musou 4 Special - 10,857
23. FIFA 2006 - 10,140
24. Shutokou Battle X - 96,333
25. Senko no Ronde rev.X - 9,207
26. GRAW - 8,903
27. COD2 - 8,654
28. SRW:XO - 7,812
29. NFS: Carbon - 7,519
30. Battlefield 2:MC - 7,328

I put in all the numbers. And according to Famitsu 360's LTD at the end of 2006 was 290,467. Putting 30,000 ahead of M-create. Many of the older games #s stopped counting awhile ago, so newer games are more accurate. For example Em Chant Arms is counted only till jan 15th 06. So its probably sold more than that by a few thousands. This applies to other older games as well.

Dali said:
And I'm saying that visuals are what makes some games what they are. If MGS used a realistic style, you'd have Splinter Cell. Part of what makes Chrono Trigger so cool, are Toriyama's character designs and the personality that was added to them. Maybe in other genres things like character design and art direction aren't that important, but if these aspects are subpar in a rpg, then that is a huge flaw. RPGs are about immersion, and most people want to be immersed in a palatable environment.

What? MGS could have the most realistic graphics in the world and it would be nothing like Splinter cell. Both game are entirely different.

Art maybe important in some aspects but if art can completely ruin a game it means either you are shallow or the game is.

Dali

Kabuki Waq said:
What? MGS could have the most realistic graphics in the world and it would be nothing like Splinter cell. Both game are entirely different.

Art maybe important in some aspects but if art can completely ruin a game it means either you are shallow or the game is.

Okay. Ignoring the part about MGS, Chrono Trigger without Toriyama's touch isn't the same, as was made evident with Chrono Cross. I love Chrono Cross, but I still wish Toriyama worked on it, and his absence made the game different.

bloke

there's some info from new Famitsu 360 monthly, not worthy of new thread though

reviews
Crackdown 9989
AC4 8888
COD3 8897

the only new game article is about Zoids Alternative (Takara/Tomy), original Zoids game with more military designs, slated for summer release
Gundam: Operation Troy - developers having problems with online play, probably delayed till autumn *new FCK*

bunch of interviews with various companys, nobody's telling much though
SNK/Playmore - no comments on KOFMI and Battle Colosseum development
Marvelous Interactive - still working on undecided title
Arc System Works - still working on melee fighting action game, 60% done, Ishiwata of Guilty Gear behind it
Alfasystem - still working on undecided title
Komoto Ind. - still working on moe game
Moss - working on STG, more details in April
Warashi - working on undecided title

Top Bottom