• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Darksiders 2 Screenshots

Good shit. The trailer for this has lingered in my head since last week. I was semi-interested in the first game, but I just never got around to it. The trailer for 2 just gave me such a cool Legacy of Kain(well, SR, particularly)/WoW(I dig the colorful look, though I hate seeing it in every damn game now)/comic vibe that I can't resist any longer. Hopefully going to start playing through the original this week. I hope the console version can look as good as those screens, but it probably won't happen. Mac version? :(

RyanDG

Captain Fish said:
It's a Darksiders thing. It's pretty dumb when you consider strife is pretty much war. I'm not in Darksiders for the fiction though.

It is rather dumb. I was looking forward to seeing a Zelda-esque game designed around the concept of Famine.

NeededSleep

Cant wait to support these guys again. The first was such a great game. Hope they have another awesome preorder like last time. nom nom free game

Kunan

Einbroch said:
I see that Deathwing's chin has made it into this game.
lol I know right? I dislike Deathwing's chin with a passion, makes him look goofy. This game, however, looks all sorts of badass. Except for Death's face lol

soultron

Banned
GatDAMN. Amazing. Love how the comic style translates, once again.

As someone suffering the usual Zelda-fatigue, is the first Darksiders still a worthwhile experience? I think I should play it before D2 comes out.

FunkyPajamas said:

the lore article is really good. they're smart enough to make the concept and scale bigger than the 3 realm (heaven, hell, earth) so they won't be running out of places to go. they're also not going to run out of races anytime soon since they introduce The Old Ones, remains of previous conflict, they can just keep adding new stuff here and it can fit into the lore. if they handled it with care, give it 2 or 3 more games, it could reach Soul Reaver cult status

FoxSpirit

jett said:
Oh, you mean MLAA? MLAA is nice but not that nice. :p Still though just running it in 1080p is a massive difference over the sub-HD res of the console version, and going by the trailer it seems it'll be the same deal again.

How about using SGSSAA? Now THAT looks nice in DS 1, and is in the 40s most of the time on my 6850 (CPU bottlenecks).

KevinCow

Banned
Bennett: One of the biggest changes in Darksiders II, from a technical standpoint, was in how we build levels. Now we use modular pieces. Instead of building each area custom, our designers have a whole LEGO set of building blocks that they use to build dungeons.

Bonstead: But our levels still look unique and hand built. It doesn’t feel like you’re going through a LEGO corridor. This has made it a lot easier for us to build levels, and we can build a lot more of them now. Also we can get a lot more big open environments. We can just crank out a lot of hills and mountains and fill it in with trees. It’s nice for the gameplay guys, because now they have these big, open areas where they can hide cool, little secrets and special encounters. We would have to hand-build all of that stuff from scratch in Darksiders I.

This part makes me happy.

Also:

Bonstead: We couldn’t do what we did in DS I, because there are so many configuration options with Death, players will be able to equip so many different armors and equipment that he looks completely different.

I didn't know about this. More than just the standard outfit and the ultimate armor this time. Cool.

Twig

Banned
Aeana said:
I think it looks really great. I'm pretty excited.
I just wish Death had a mouth. Looks silly without one.
I wish he had a mouth because Darksiders had some of the best facial animation in video games.

fuzzyreactor said:
graphics looks great. art is so ugly
lol u trollin'

ps diaf

Log4Girlz

Those serpent/dragon things have beards made of bone...how odd.

Other than that, goddamn. I love the heavily stylized look, reminds me a bit of WOW, but with, you know amazing poly counts and stunning textures. Since a lot of people were comparing the first to Zelda...I would love a game with this look.

Log4Girlz

I hated the art design of the main character in DS 1, he had f'ing ginormous hands...reminds me of some funky crab with one claw larger than the other. This though looks just right. Can't wait to play as Skeletor.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
How was Darksiders 1 on PC? I played it on 360, but I've got a (let's say decent computer. I can play Witcher 2 on medium) and I was thinking about planning for this on PC rather than 360

Developer interview

- They say that they've amped up the puzzles and traversal for Darksiders 2. Traversal seems to be a big focus
- DS2 is going to have more adventure, exploration, loot, and RPG elements
- The largest dungeon in DS2 won't be as big as the largest dungeon in the original, but there are a lot more of them overall
- There will be optional dungeons that you can find through talking to NPC's
- They won't flatout confirm that there will be a New Game +, but it's made pretty clear that it will be in. It's mentioned that the lack of a New Game + in the original is one of their biggest regrets
- They say that the Wii U's controller works beautifully with their inventory and that it's great to be able to manage your inventory without pausing the game
- They already have all the characters concepted out since the original idea for the series was for it to be a 4 player co-op game

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/podcasts/archive/2011/07/05/special-edition-podcast-darksiders-ii.aspx

SolidSnakex said:
- They won't flatout confirm that there will be a New Game +, but it's made pretty clear that it will be in. It's mentioned that the lack of a New Game + in the original is one of their biggest regrets
Hey, mine too! Especially since you can't even max out everything in the game without hours and hours and hours of horrible grinding!
SolidSnakex said:
- They already have all the characters concepted out since the original idea for the series was for it to be a 4 player co-op game
The series had BETTER turn into this eventually.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I f**king love Vigil's texture art.

It's a breath of fresh air for a western game.

It's somewhat similar to the art direction Blizzard uses... but uh *cough* I think theirs is better.

More talk a bout the Wii U

- It took the 5 weeks to get the game running at parity with the other versions
- The majority of the work was done by 3 programmers
- They had it ready to be shown at E3, but Nintendo decided not to show it
- Nintendo's been really helpful with getting devs up to speed with the hardware
- They compare the ease of development to the 360
- They say that it's extremely easy to get stuff running on the controllers screen. One of the programmers mentioned that it probably took him around 10 minutes to get the screen to display what was being shown on the TV

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...story-behind-the-wii-u-and-darksiders-ii.aspx

Duffyside

Banned
Kaijima said:
I f**king love Vigil's texture art.

It's a breath of fresh air for a western game.

It's somewhat similar to the art direction Blizzard uses... but uh *cough* I think theirs is better.
Huh, could you specify what you're talking about? I'm not the biggest graphics/engine/performance/whatever guy, so sometimes it's hard for me to see these things. Are you referring to the way the art is sort of cartoonish, but not totally?

ced

I need to go back and finish the original.

The only issue I remember having is the controls are a little convoluted.

BY2K

Membero Americo
SolidSnakex said:
More talk a bout the Wii U

- It took the 5 weeks to get the game running at parity with the other versions
- The majority of the work was done by 3 programmers
- They had it ready to be shown at E3, but Nintendo decided not to show it
- Nintendo's been really helpful with getting devs up to speed with the hardware
- They compare the ease of development to the 360
- They say that it's extremely easy to get stuff running on the controllers screen. One of the programmers mentioned that it probably took him around 10 minutes to get the screen to display what was being shown on the TV

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...story-behind-the-wii-u-and-darksiders-ii.aspx

That's actually very encouraging. Nice to hear it's that much easy to develop for Wii U.

Jaunty lives!

hires_screenshot49_glotnm5.jpg

dc-shadowman-110910-22.jpg

BurntPork

Banned
Oh my!

I've never played the first one. You say it's similar to Zelda, my favorite game series ever? Maybe I should pick up the original. The only question is whether to get is for 360 or my weaksauce laptop that will probably only manage medium smoothly.

Top Bottom