• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DDR Extreme US songs revealed at Comicon!

Belfast

Taken from Unknown Gamer at DDR Freak:
New Licences (All the ones from E3 were present!)

Believe - ?
Bizarre Love Triangle - ?
Don't Clock Me - Popula Demand featuring Get Fresh Girls
Diving (Radio Edit) - 4 Strings
Go West - ?
Kick The Can - Bus Stop
Kids In America - ?
Ladies' Night - ?
Like A Virgin - ?
Miracle - St. Jannaro
Music (Bostik Radio Edit) - Darude
Never Ending Story (Power Vocal Mix) - DJ-AC-DC (Yes, it was labeled this way. It sounds identical to the 5th Mix one. Different banner from Euromix 2 as well.)
Only You - Captain Jack
The Reflex - Duran Duran
Waiting For Tonight - P.A.T. (Cover of Jennifer Lopez)

For the record, none of the ? songs are by the original artist from what I can see, my guess is that that they are all SAIFAM covers.

New Konami Originals (All the ones from E3 were present as well! But I don't recall seeing CSFIL (Speed Mix) there. Also, Sweet Sweet Love Magic wasn't in the demo either)

Do Me (H.I.G.E.O Mix) - Moustache Men
Firefly - BeForU
Jet World - (Whoever this was)
Love Love Sugar - DJ Taka featuring Noria (Uiru, this one's for YOU!)
Paranoia Eternal - STM200 (Right?)
Theme From Enter The Dragon (Notorious Mix) - B3 Project (This is odd... Wasn't the one from 5th Mix called something else? I remember there was a Notorious Mix on the 5th Mix Nonstop Megamix.)

Returning Originals (Boo! Returning Originals! Boo!)

59 - DJ Taka
Bad Routine - DJ Spugna (Right name?)
Ecstacy - D-Complex
I Feel... - Akira Yamaoka
Peace Out! - (I Forget Who Did This)
Tsugaru - RevenG vs. DE-SIRE
So In Love - Caramel.S
Wild Rush - Factor X

Only two modes were there, Game Mode and Party Mode, no one played Party Mode!

Also, new characters! There was a black male character names Blues. Very urban style black male. And a female blond named Rhythm, she was very valley girl. She wore a blue skirt and a pink letterman jacket.

Hmmm, looks like they're trying to do some Karaoke Rev. crossovers. I kind of like the revival of some semi-forgotten 4th/5th mix songs, though. I love that stuff! There might be some pictures later on tonight.

Belfast

The Reflex has been in DDR for awhile. Suffice to say, its not one of the more popular songs. The steps aren't hard, just annoying.....it honestly could've been so much better, but unless they redo the stepcharts for it (unlikely), I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Belfast

I just copied and pasted, so the ?s aren't mine. :)

Plus, they might be the re-sung Karaoke Revolution versions. Dunno if they'll put the official artist or not.

explodet

Go West? HAHAHAHA

I'm thinking Like A Virgin will be a version of the PPP song.

Do Me (H.I.G.E.O Mix) is a very underrated song.

Jet World? Rock!

A new Enter the Dragon Mix? Sounds intriguing. Think they'll stick the old song on too?

With Tsugaru returning, I'm hoping they'll be putting in the Tsugaru Apple Mix as well. Same with the Wild Rush remix.

Jet World - (Mutsuhiko Izumi)

Best song ever in any rhythm game. But isn't Extreme US gonna have all those Pop'n/GF/DM/PPP crossover songs that the Japanese version had?? It seems like a no-brainer, since almost all of them are Konami originals.

If not, then Extreme US is really gonna suck - the crossover songs are the whole appeal! Almost every song you listed is recycled from an older mix, and some of them have been used over and over again already. Kick the Can? Come on now.

I'm pretty happy to see the return of "Music" though. That's always been one of my faves and I never thought anyone else really noticed or cared about it!

Are the DDR games really worth it? My girlfriend, who's not really a gamer, played DDR, and loved it...Would I be wasting my money if I bought a DDR and the Dance Pad thingy?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
ToyMachine228 said:
Are the DDR games really worth it? My girlfriend, who's not really a gamer, played DDR, and loved it...Would I be wasting my money if I bought a DDR and the Dance Pad thingy?

They are, its like an addiction. I prefer the arcade experience myself, but it can be just as good if you get a really nice pad. She'll love you even more if you set her up.

The first time I saw DDR a few years ago, I was like "nah, I'm not doing that crap". Next thing I know, me and my friend are going to arcade every weekend for hours at a time trying to get our DDR fix. Damn, I just noticed that I went to play DDR just about every day this week after work.

Grizzly says: Do It!

Belfast

sp0rsk said:
Dont clock me
Dont try to stop me

hell yes.

Hell yeah. A Solo Bass crossover song? Who saw THAT coming?!

Anyway, Jet World does indeed rock, and its been on just about every damn Bemani game now. GF/DM, DDR, DMX, PopN.

In a way, I'm kind of disappointed that there aren't more off the crossover songs, though from Extreme arcade version. It seems likely that Konami REALLY wants to string US players out by including so many old songs, so that they can goad people into buying the next mix that they bring out a year from now. Especially considering that they seem to have all but abandoned the arcade mixes, it looks like they're trying to make more money at home.

However, I already have easy access to the JP home mixes, so its nice to see all these new licenses and old songs that were never brought back past 5th mix. Yes, even Kick the Can has me excited. :D

That said, I can see how US players might feel a little shafted, though. Most of them are in their early-mid teens and don't have the money or ability to play imports in any capacity, so they won't be getting a faithful home version.

Belfast

Some more updates for you guys:

One is an article on DDRSPOT that has an updated songlist and some general impressions:

http://www.ddrspot.com/viewArticle.asp?article=27

The mini-games sounds pretty interesting, too. A nod to Track & Field? I'm there!

The other one is an update from a GamesAreFun editor on the DDRFreak forums:

Just a quick update for you guys, that's semi-related to all of this:

Of course I got the info on all the new songs at Comic Con, but that's all been posted already... what hasn't been posted is what I talked about with the US marketing director of DDR and Metal Gear Solid. Being an editor at GamesAreFun.com, I wanted to get as much dirt as I could, so I did a little sniffing around. This guy's pretty much solely responsible for DDR coming to the US (so he says, anyway; he knew his stuff so I tend to believe him), and I got to talk to him extensively and ask him a lot of nice questions. I even got answers I didn't think I'd get.

On US home versions after Extreme:

When I mentioned that after Extreme, there were no more DDR names for us to copy, he smiled and said that that's why he's excited that they'll be able to (and are going to) come up with new, original DDR games that don't mirror the Japanese installments. (Other than Ultramix.)

On The Legend of Max in Extreme:

He gave me a questioning look and said "what do YOU think? Max 300 was in MAX, MaxX Unlimited was in MAX 2... of course it's in there. Come on..." I know we all pretty much figured this, but I thought some confirmation might be nice.

On the prospect of other 10-footers in Extreme, specifically Paranoia ~Respect~:

I mentioned to him that I was really hoping for, but certainly not expecting, Paranoia ~Respect~ to somehow appear in Extreme USA. When I did, surprisingly he just smiled and said "... I think you, and a lot of long-time players, are going to be very pleased with the final songlist. We're also working on "hard stuff" other than what you know is in the arcade - to which I mentioned "like Outer Limits?" - and he nodded. So don't necessarily expect stuff like Paranoia ~Respect~, but don't rule it out and I can almost guarantee that we'll have at least another 10-footer besides Legend of Max.

On how many songs are in the game:

"Definitely over 70." He wouldn't give me an exact number, though. I know we knew this, but still, confirmation is nice.

On the future of arcade mixes:

"I really don't know; all I know is, they're taking a break with it in Japan but they have not ruled out the possibility of making a new arcade mix. It could really go either way as far as I know. But DDR is doing really well here, so definitely expect the home mixes to continue without a hitch."

On the future of other Bemani titles in the US:

"Believe me, I'm pushing for it. I'm trying really hard. I'm a huge fan of all things Bemani, not just DDR, so I'm really trying hard to get other Bemani series ported over here, especially IIDX. I can't promise anything, but the fans should know I'm aware of the appeal of and love for Bemani series other than DDR in the US."

And one more thing:

He also wants the fans to know that he's fully aware of the hardcore crowd, who more than know better when they read in US DDR game that "xxx song debuted in DDR Konamix!" and "yyy song debuted in DDR MAX!" He said that with Extreme, he's really trying to make an effort to appeal to both this crowd (that he knows are hardcore arcade players and are fully aware of the Japanese mixes) and a more domestic-song-friendly, softcore crowd. He really stressed that he knows about the hardcore players and is trying to make Extreme appeal to them as well, by getting songs in there that "he knows will please that crowd" when the final game is released.

Hmmm.....a chance of other Bemani games coming out in the US?

It really seems like they *aren't* working on any new arcade DDR mixes, but its also a good thing they're taking a break. Still, it doesn't help the arcade scene *at all* and I'm wondering if it takes them too long that arcades will be too dead to matter anymore.

BuddyC

Sounds like the GamesAreFun.com dude talked to Jason Enos. Really nice guy and certainly an intregal part of the American DDR scene.

Belfast

Hah, probably not, but I'd still like it to come over, so it'd be cheaper to get official controllers. -_-;;; Anyway, I wonder how they'd do it anyway. Sure, IIDX has a training mode and whatnot, but the difficulty ramps up pretty quickly, especially for the inexperienced. Personally, I think PopNMusic actually might go well over here, especially if Taiko takes off. Then we'd know for sure whether or not US gamers will go for the "cutesy" look or not.

explodet

KONAMI ORIGINALS:
Firefly - BeForU
JANEJANA - T.E.M.P.O. feat. Mohammed & Emi
JET WORLD - Mutsuhiko Izumi
LOVE LOVE SUGAR - Mutsuhiko Izumi
MOBO MOGA - Orange Lounge
PARANOiA ETERNAL - STM200
Pink Rose - Kiyomma + Seiya
DO ME (H.I.G.E.O Mix) - MUSTACHE MEN
THEME FROM ENTER THE DRAGON (notorious mix) - B3 Project
A Stupid Barber - Sho-T
.59 - dj TAKA
Bad Routine - DJ Spugna
DROP OUT - NW260
ECSTASY - d-complex
HIGHER - NM feat. Sunny
i feel... - Akira Yamaoka
I'M FOR REAL - SLAKE
PEACE-OUT - dj nagureo
SO IN LOVE - Caramel.S
TSUGARU - RevenG vs DE-SIRE
WILD RUSH - FACTOR-X
Your Rain - Akira Yamaoka feat. Mary Elizabeth McGlynn

LICENSED SONGS:
Diving - 4 Strings
* Go West - Pet Shop Boys <--- This is one of the greatest pure cheese music videos evar
* Kids In America - Kim Wilde
* Move Your Feet - Junior Senior
Music (Bostik Radio Edit) - Darude
Planet Rock (Swordfish Radio Edit) - Paul Oakenfold vs. Afrika Bambataa
THE REFLEX - Duran Duran
Simply Being Loved "Somnambulist" - BT
DON'T CLOCK ME - Popula Demand featuring Get Fresh Girls
* HIGHS OFF U(Scorccio XY Mix) - 4 REEEL
KICK THE CAN - Bus Stop
MIRACLE - St. Jannaro
NEVER ENDING STORY - DJ AC-DC
* ONLY YOU - Captain Jack
THERE YOU'LL BE - DJ Speedo feat. Angelica
WONDERLAND(UKS MIX) - X-TREME <--- It's back!
Y.M.C.A. - Village People <--- No music video? Awww

KARAOKE REVOLUTION (all songs are DDR Extreme exclusive remixes):
Believe
Bizarre Love Triangle
Ladies' Night
Waiting For Tonight
Like A Virgin

* = includes music video

BuG

Rather than start a new thread, I'll just ask here. For someone like myself who has never seriously played a DDR game before and would like to try, which version is a good entry level for either Dreamcast (is Feet of Fury actually any good, or would I only be buying it to support the homebrew scene?), PSOne or Xbox (arcades... I mean, the arcade near me sucks and I'm willing to spend the money for peripherals)? Hopefully dance mats for any one of those systems are readily available in my area. [/de-rail]

edit: Oops, I didn't see ToyMachine22's post. Mine's semi-redundant now, but if anyone can make some recommendations as to which version's the best it'd still be appreciated. :)

Top Bottom