• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

Can't believe they showed off the same (similar?) map. Ugh.

Animations are really janky. Maybe it's just me, but this isn't looking nextgen.

I don't like FPS games changing to third person for things outside of cutscenes, anyone know if there'll be an option to turn that off for the abilities.

My eyes glazed over 5 mins in. A protect the objective while streams of enemies attack? This is what they choose to showcase?

Come on Bungie show us more of this world I thought this game had actual exploration that didn't start and end with players running and jumping all over the place like an idiot letting off lead or plasma.

This. Maybe Bungie is just trolling us with a slow reveal, but every time I think they're going to show us the scope of the world or the rpg aspects, they just show us another basic firefight.

Dunno. But if Titanfall is a good example, if we haven't seen any of it by now, it's probably not there.

I wouldn't expect it.

Titanfall is a very bad example.

That game started with Mech combat/parcour gameplay and they are trying to build a universe around it.

Destiny started with a fleshed out Universe...which you can kinda tell by the meh gameplay we've seen.

Titanfall can't be played solo. Destiny, although an online only game, can be.

After rewatching the video, I truly hope there is more to the gameplay than what's been shown.

GavinUK86

I wonder how teaming up with strangers will work because I don't know anyone with a PS4. Looks great though. That Bungie gold standard.

Oh god that looks impressive. Just that Bungie 'fun factor' is right there even in this latest trailer. Great gunplay, smooth combat, brilliant music and atmosphere, vibrant graphics and beautiful art direction. This will be in the running for GOTY I'd wager.

Co-op heaven. Now launch that beta!

Dolobill

And is that bloom I detected when the character was in the air? They better don't introduce any penalties for accuracy when jumping, because that would totally suck.

They never gave us a good look at that. At the instance where you see bloom in midair, the character is reloading. In Reach, anytime you reload, the reticle bloom would go to maximum and returns to normal when the animation is complete. I'll give it the benefit of the doubt and assume it works the same way here.

The other midair moments had the character sprinting, so the full reticle was not shown (just an arrow).

Midair headshots / rockets, etc are some of the coolest moments in competitive Halo, so I don't think Bungie will screw this up.

That looked super dull.

I have no doubt the game will be lots of fun to play, but they really tried their best to make it look dull in the official video. Very traditional encounter designs, and nothing super exciting in terms of battlefield size or structure. Just a bunch of rooms with increasingly harder enemies.

Bungie better have some kick ass stage demos at E3.

is the game multiplayer only. or is there a single player story?

Both at the same time. You can go at the story alone if you want to, or jump in /out of random groups during missions, and whenever public events happen.

I never thought I'd say something like this, but I really hope it ends up being more like Halo... Again, maybe it was just all of them doing the dev thing of slowly panning the camera around and trying to be cinematic, but the gunplay looks too much like that terrible, stiff Borderlands gunplay.

Pachinko

I wouldn't go quite so far as to say this game looks "boring" but most of that video didn't really do anything interesting. Looks like a reskinned Halo with a handful of borderlands style elements (having unique classes to play through missions , enemies displaying health bars , damage more obviously calculated , loot being available). I don't think this is a problem, Halo has sold millions and so has Borderlands so mixing elements of the 2 should be a winning formula for success.

The problem that I have is the way this video was presented- it was like a proof of concept almost "hey look, this is still a bungie game and this is how Destiny will handle missions similar to what you got out of our halo games". My response is more of "okay well, that's good I guess but I've played 5 halo games in the last decade or so, show me something new". All this video shows that looks new is a handful of special abilities and a little bit more in the way of group based tactics.

I'm not saying it was a total "blah" demonstration but , Destiny will have to do more to impress me is all. It's worth mentioning that I didn't find the graphics all that special either but I don't care so much as long as the end product is enjoyable and stable.

Mesoian

Titanfall is a very bad example.

That game started with Mech combat/parcour gameplay and they are trying to build a universe around it.

Destiny started with a fleshed out Universe...which you can kinda tell by the meh gameplay we've seen.

Titanfall can't be played solo. Destiny, although an online only game, can be.

Do we know that for a fact yet? That was in question up until weeks before Titanfall's release. And honestly, considering how well the Azure server system works, I don't know why Bungee wouldn't use it

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
is the game multiplayer only. or is there a single player story?
It's online only, and you will see players in the main hub city ("The Tower") and you will have the option to join public battles from time to time. Aside from that, you can play the game entirely on your own if you want.

plainr_

Wow, lol a tough crowd in here for some reason.
Looks like Halo + Borderlands, which to me is awesome because I adored those games.
Looking forward to trying the beta on PS4.

Jesus Christ, it's obvious they're trying to showcase the game.
You want footage that looks like they're playing CoD on 10 sensitivity?

I'm not asking for twitch like sensitivity. I know they are showcasing the environments but this actually does the opposite for me. I need more turning to soak in the atmosphere.

It makes it look smoother and lets you take in the environments better . Moving it too fast would make it appear jittery and less cinematic and you'd miss all the details.

It is annoying to watch though

Yes, I agree.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Just saw the video and I am HYPED!!

Then again, I am a huge borderlands fans and this game has elements of BL, which is what I am looking for since Gearbox isn't making one soon.

Doran902

Well shit, I bet they weren't expecting this much negativity. I'm at a point in my life where I look at games like this and I just go, okay, cool, its a shooter. Epic story could save it for me.

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
What an embarrassing thread.

I'll come back when the genius junior members in here decide once and for all whether this game is a clone of Halo or Mass Effect or Borderlands or Half-Life 2 or Killzone in their amazingly insightful drive-by posts.
Reeks of self importance mate, you'll not be missed.
That's really it. When you see action footage from RAGE or the new Wolfenstein or even Warframe it kicks you right in the face. Those games have a strong style and presence and flavor.

Destiny seems kindof Haloish. With hoods.
Ha thats it exactly! Plus Peter Dinklage sounds bored as shit.
Destiny is Halo evolved, and it's a natural evolution, given the way gaming has gone in the 13 years since the release of the first game in the series. Playing Destiny now, the underrated Halo 3: ODST all of a sudden makes much more sense. I see Destiny as lots of New Mombasas, each fleshed out and given their own identity, that combine to form a mythic science fiction world in which all roads lead back to The Tower.
That last sentence regards ODST still gives me hope, New Mombasas (or at least what we got to see) was pretty cool at the time.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Um guys...3 player coop at the most...no 4 player...or more...wtf

This isn't true. I think Strikes, the mode they played here, are limited to 3 players but I think I remember them mentioning up to 6 before. Events allow for far more than that.

I hate the switches to third person. Was super annoying in DX:HR.

Agreed, easily one of the worst things about the game. Oh, but it looks really cool. Yah it does, and it completely takes me out of the game and makes me feel like I'm watching a video.

Hopefully it is something you can turn off.

i8Bhd3ncLXnMK.gif

mcrommert

Banned
This isn't true. I think Strikes, the mode they played here, are limited to 3 players but I think I remember them mentioning up to 6 before. Events allow for far more than that.

Okay thats true...but for a game that keeps saying its an mmo; large portions have less players than even last gen shooters like borderlands

Stat!

I didn't feel the sense of excitement or surprise when I watched the video. It kinda looked like a bland FPS without anything unique about it compared to other shooters. None of the characters or enemies seemed to look anything different from each other. I know they had different names but it was tough to tell the difference between any. I should say - I enjoy FPS games but this doesn't look like a great one yet. Maybe it needs to be played, not shown.

I don't know. I just didn't feel any excitement from it. It didn't show me anything that made Destiny stand apart.

Asriel

Literally rolling my eyes at some of these responses.

Not even a major FPS fan, but this video has me excited. Looks like a lot of fun.

CDV13

Looks pretty awesome to me. Not sure what others were expecting. This is pretty much what they have said the game will be like from the jump. I am excited for sure.

Aces&Eights

I need to see more than just CQC. That first trailer at E3 where a skirmish was going on and drop ships bringing in bad guys is what piqued my interest. Plus, what are the rpg elements? Need to see other worlds. I love Bungie games but whoever is in charge of hype and trailer selection is either on medication or keeps uploading the wrong files.

Show me the other planets and loot/gear/level ups and show me more of the big battles that you can choose to engage in.

Top Bottom