• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

GhaleonEB

Okay thats true...but for a game that keeps saying its an mmo; large portions have less players than even last gen shooters like borderlands

Bungie has not described it as an MMO. It has MMO elements like raids, loot, etc. but its not an MMO. It's a cooperative online shooter.

Others have described Destiny as MMO like, not Bungie.

scoobs

Looks like it will be great fun, but I do tend to agree w/ the prevailing feeling in a lot of these posts that it lacks some oomph. I think they'd do wonders to show off the story/hub areas more so we can get a feel for why we're doing this shit rather than just mindless killing. Sound design is a little... peculiar

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
This isn't true. I think Strikes, the mode they played here, are limited to 3 players but I think I remember them mentioning up to 6 before. Events allow for far more than that.
Where did you hear "up to 6 players"? That could make sense -- three players when on a mission, and up to six when just roaming around -- but I personally haven't heard Bungie make any statement like that.

mollipen

As someone who has played that particular Strike (three times, trying out all of the classes), I don't think that trailer does the best job of really expressing how it felt to play.

Levito

Banned
jKYWDGD.jpg

That's a relief.

Well shit, I bet they weren't expecting this much negativity. I'm at a point in my life where I look at games like this and I just go, okay, cool, its a shooter. Epic story could save it for me.
What I think too. The shooter backslash is getting real I guess. The graphics are cool but the gameplay in this video is just dull. OK I'll shoot. OK I'll throw grenades. OK I'll hold that position for the next N waves of enemies... ***Yawn***

I don't know why some people are down on the voices. I liked them. I especially liked how they don't try to make the robot sound like a robot which seems to rub some the wrong way. In the future what do you think computers will sound like, Stephen Hawking?

Looks pretty awesome to me. Not sure what others were expecting. This is pretty much what they have said the game will be like from the jump. I am excited for sure.

Faster pace, gritter (something closer to RAGE), more enemies, weapons that actually look/feel like they pack a punch, teamwork that actually matters, etc.

As someone who has played that particular Strike (three times, trying out all of the classes), I don't think that trailer does the best job of really expressing how it felt to play.

OK...since you put it out there.

What FPS does the game feel like to play? If Halo, please specify which one.

Thanks in advance.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I was okay with it in DX but here for some reason it's a bit jarring. Maybe it's the faster pace.

For me it's a bit odd here because it's just throwing a spell like a grenade. It's not really necessary for a third person view there.

http://kotaku.com/i-played-45-minut..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Kotaku: I Played 45 Minutes Of Destiny, And It Was Kind Of Boring
... said:
The game wants to be ambitious. Last year, frustratingly, when we first took a look at the game, Bungie talked mostly in concepts and buzzwords. The game is in first-person, for the most part—but it's not a first-person shooter. According to Bungie, it has "elements of a first-person shooter." People will join you in your attempt to fight evil and learn more about the world—but it's not an MMO. It's a "shared-world shooter," the supposed first of its kind, which offers a persistent world for everyone. They even shared their "seven pillars" of design, which are the ideas informing Destiny's ethos—they promise a robust, mysterious, and unpredictable world that they hope players will want to spend time in. During a presentation I attended earlier this month, Bungie described some "genre bending" concepts behind Destiny...like "exploration" and "character evolution." All of this combines to give the feeling that they're so desperate to give us something new with this shooter they're willing to coin new terms for old ideas—if not repurpose old buzzwords to make them sound more exciting than they actually are.
ouch

I'm definitely underwhelmed, but its still Bungie, and I'll give em the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they're trying to do way too much way too quickly.

jmood88

Everything about it felt lifeless, especially the voice acting. It sounded like the guys talking were supposed to be people controlling the characters rather than actually being the one's fighting.

Vico

looks ook.

I would like to have a 3rd person view. Is this happening?

Only in the City (non-combat aera), where it's meant for you to show off in front of the other characters.
The rest of the game is in first person, except when using some powers or in vehicles.

X-Frame

This. Maybe Bungie is just trolling us with a slow reveal, but every time I think they're going to show us the scope of the world or the rpg aspects, they just show us another basic firefight.

This again. That is what I want to see very badly and it seems many journalists are getting a bit impatient with the lack of information on a lot of these aspects and I don't blame them because I feel the same.

Spinluck

lol. good point. come on PS4 people, cough up your ID's.

You can have mine, I don't play much because of school, but you can bet I'll be on Destiny and the Destiny Beta when that's out! PSNID: Mrp7792-X

jKYWDGD.jpg

That's a relief.

You can clearly see in the video that the gunplay looks far better than Borderlands. They also nail that satisfying feeling of inflicting damage. Controls looks pretty tight too.

I like when games give players that visual or audio reward, especially when it's on a subconscious level.

Vire

After a near 4 month hiatus with little to no information, all Bungie has to show is a defend the hack the point mission? Seriously mind-boggling.

Stray observations:

1. Music sounded incredibly generic and did little to increase tension.

2. Peter Dinklage sounded bored out of his mind when reading his lines.

3. Enemies die with little resistance and hit reactions aren't nearly as pronounced as the Halo series.

tumblr_m1i088zhNo1r8v67oo1_500.gif

Its a weird thing to say since the game is an MMO(?) but I wonder if that footage would have been more interesting if it was a solo guy fighting some tough enemies. Instead it just looks like 4 dudes mowing down helpless AI in autopilot mode.

Its a shame its so MP focused. I think it probably would have worked better as a SP campaign. But then again, I am heavily biased towards SP games.

mcrommert

Banned
I think you need to do some research on the game before you start making accusations.

My bad...they have called it a " shared world shooter" but they have never effing defined that...so people have called it mmo because we have a basis in that

How can you have a game that lives up to a "shared world shooter" when certain parts are only played by 3 people. One less than their last game.

Tzeentch

This game probably full of incredible environments, and yet Bungie insists on showing videos of warehouses. :(
-- The open environments are probably still under construction.

-- Going in without any super high expectations, but a "better than Borderlands" game with that same co-op fun is more than enough to rope me in.

ryan299

According to joystiq, every mode in the game is played in groups of 3. Even multiplayer. wow

As Parsons explained to me, players are free to tackle the campaign alone or with two friends. Every mode is played with groups of threes, incidentally – even adversarial multiplayer – as Bungie feels it offers the best balance for the three available classes. Each mission contains both private and public spaces, meaning some areas are dedicated solely to your three-man team, while other areas will be filled with additional players.

http://www.joystiq.com/2014/04/28/video-preview-destiny-wears-its-halo-with-pride/

Pop

Honestly, the way Bungie have been hyping this you'd think it were the second coming of The Beatles. They themselves have established super-high expectations.

Nah, people in here want to see everything about the game right now. That is expecting too much. Literally taken one Strike mission as if this is the whole game. And describing the AI as boring is laughable. People should know by now that early videos like this will have the AI set to baby mode.

Camp Lo

Banned
Pretty much.

I've said this in just about every Destiny thread.. still waiting on what the PVP is going to look like.
I swear this is the first time I've ever actually paid attention to the gameplay. This game had me sold by Bungie's name alone. If it's been like this since day one, I don't think I'm interested anymore

I'll wait for PVP if that's supposed to be its saving grace.

My bad...they have called it a " shared world shooter" but they have never effing defined that...so people have called it mmo because we have a basis in that

How can you have a game that lives up to a "shared world shooter" when certain parts are only played by 3 people. One less than their last game.

Halo and Destiny are similar in some respects, yes, but they're trying to do different things.

daman824

I hate how it transitions from first to third person when you are doing a spell. It's really jarring.

I also don't like how the enemies have health bars.

people calling for better AI reminds me, for some reason borderlands 2 was way less fun than 1 for me because the ai was 'better'. not sure why.

Top Bottom