• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

Pop

I don't understand why so many people immediately jump to hyperbole. No one is expecting that they show everything in the game at once, just that they show more than yet another firefight in a building. Bungie wants to talk about how unique this game is but they have yet to show what's unique about it.

Yeah and we got E3 and still a week of Destiny videos. Plenty of time

People will get to play the competitive mp at E3 and then the beta follows before release.

M.W.

What did you expect?? I keep seeing people saying this will be boring based off a few min video, same with every other game thats been seen so far, what are people expecting here?

I expected some excitement after 7 minutes, didn't happen. Looks very generic. I hope I'm wrong.

This detail is new to me. Bungie had said they want you to feel attached to your weapons, and this is a way to sink those hooks in. So you don't just have some customized weapon from a great raid, it's one you've had for a while and built into something more powerful. As described, I like the sound of that a great deal. I already tend to get attached to unique weapons in RPG's.

Pretty sure that means you have a squad of 3 - your fire team - rather than a limit on team sizes. Teams can have multiple fire teams.

Yeah during the initial reveal they showed this to be false.

During that boss segment he kept calling in new squads to come in and help with the fight. Was eventually quite a few other combatants in the fight.

I'm sure this means your squad can be 3 people ( 4? ). Not that the game is limited to only 3 people in a level at spot at a time.

Schmitty

I've been so interested in this game since Bungie announced they were making a new game ages ago, but showing the same areas over and over again bores me.

I was more excited for the game before the video today.

Yeah, they need more weight to them. Even some of the big guys are animated like they weigh 5 pounds (when they are hit).

I hope they rework it because, as it stands now, the game feels like a fast moving, lightweight shooter with less intelligent AI (when compared to Halo) with underwhelming cross gen graphics. Its subtle, but you can see some of the COD aspects creeping in. Some of the death animations go by too fast. I've tried rewatching just now to make sure it wasn't just a connection issue but it crops up in the same animations.

Seriously, amazing trailer. I don't understand the borderlands comparison, if it wasn't for the loot reveal that comparison would have never came up. Reminds me of the best moments of halo 1 (coop, open map, satisfying ragdoll physics, magnum)

Really? You don't see anything similar to Borderlands in that trailer? Seriously?

And where are you seeing open maps?

That whole trailer was a super linear, generic and boring demonstration. Maybe the rest of the game isn't like that, but what a terrible trailer to use if so. Honestly not seeing the hype. Put any name on this game besides "Bungie" and I doubt many people would even care.

For those who were looking for details about the Competitive MP, there's a section in this video that details what is known about that as of Feb 28th of this year.

It states that there are 5 factions that a fighting for control (of what we don't know yet), it is a seperate mode with it's own maps. Rather than picking up weapons, you have to pick up ammo for your Heavy Weapon and you must kill other players to charge up your Super/Special attacks.

Titanfall's quick cheap thrills get old in 2 days, if that's raising the bar then that's a bad sign. Destiny will have way more longevity then Titanfall ever will have,

I agree with you. I think Titanfal was a quick thrill for most but not something they can digest over a long amount of time. It serves a specific purpose, but Destiny looks like a game you will continue to invest in (Two different game build design for two different reasons, not saying one is better than the other)

Also will Bungie post more stuff this week or is this just a 1 day thing?

Camp Lo

Banned
What did you expect?? I keep seeing people saying this will be boring based off a few min video, same with every other game thats been seen so far, what are people expecting here?
The video looked sterile and generic, with no delineation to speak of. I would have been cool with a plot point presentation but I might get that at E3. This video didn't have anything worth mentioning. That's why it was boring to me.

GavinUK86

You can have mine, I don't play much because of school, but you can bet I'll be on Destiny and the Destiny Beta when that's out! PSNID: Mrp7792-X

McDomination

I'll be on Destiny the day beta drops.

PSN: Dredguno

Looking forward to shooting face with some fellow gaffers.

Thanks guys. I probably should've put my PSN ID in my original comment; Gav220886. I look forward to playing Destiny with you guys and other gaffers later on in the year.

Seriously though the "inject into my veins" guys were only on the first few pages...mostly its been negative since then

Oh I wasn't just talking about on GAF, but you're right -- I suspect a lot of those people are just having a knee-jerk reaction for a hyped up AAA title from Bungie, which I can understand. A lot of money is being sunk into this and, if I remember correctly, Activision is hoping it'll be the best selling new IP or something.

That's a lot of pressure. This game has a lot to live up to, and even looking at what I've seen objectively I just don't see it hitting that mark. Not yet anyway.

We'll see. There's still some time to blow everyone away.

RoKKeR

Quote that was echoed across nearly all previews:

Why is Bungie holding this game so close to their chests? The game comes out in September and we still have zero idea how any of the social elements play together, how the world is interconnected or any clue to what the campaign is about. With these elements being possibly the most exciting parts of the potential of Destiny, it's hard not to remain indifferent when all they show is some Firefight styled mission where you have to defend a generator.
Absolutely agree. Bungie's handling and marketing of Destiny has been, frankly, horrible. Revealed too early, too little information, too much high level concept talk, it's borderline obnoxious.

Show us the game. But I suppose we'll know for sure when E3 rolls around. They can't hide it for much longer, the game's out in 4 months.

Vibranium

Banned
Hmm, I think I may be in the camp of not really feeling it. I like Bungie and their art design, but I don't know if Destiny is for me, and I guess that's ok.

If they ever made an single-player RPG though I would go nuts.

Pillville

that bored me immensely. show me some competitive multiplayer footage

come the fuk on bungie. i have a feeling this game is going to flop hard

Am I the only one in the world that doesn't care if there is competitive MP?
Seems to me there are already too many competitive MP focused games this gen while I'm starving for some good SP/Co-op games.

commedieu

Banned
The ole plenty of time card...

I don't know about the rest of you, but gaming, as a nerdy gamer: You can definitely see whats coming in a game from the basic gameplay mechanics. There is nothing in any of the basic mechanics of any interest, or novelty. Its rare when I've seen a video of a a game, and its done a 180 in all of its mechanics by teh E3. What is this world where game development seems to be very serious and planned/plotted, but it can all change at the drop of a dime come E3? It doesn't happen. Things generally get worse, or they get better.

People need to just accept that some people know what they like more than others, or more importantly, know what they don't like. Destiny has showed off so far, nothing really worth discussing as far as a PS4/XBONE "NEXT GENERATION GAME!!!!" It looks straight forward, and the visuals aren't remotely impressive for "NEXT GENERATION GAME!!!" We can't use the "buh buh" open world excuse in relation to fidelity due to greats like GTA5 and Infamous on the PS4, so we are left with a product that is being shown, that looks like a sci-fi shooter with a titanfall level of polish(shaders/model quality/lighting quality/foliage and effects)?

T

TrueMenace

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like a glorified Halo horde mode meets Borderlands. Literally that is what it is...seriously.

Halo combat...Halo melee animations...even the shotgun looks straight ripped from Halo. The vehicle is exactly the same as the Halo ghost lol...

That boss battle tank looking thing is a glorified Halo wraith. Then all the loot is like Borderlands grinding out missions with only ?!TWO?! more players???

Enemy AI looks super dumb like Halo. Shoot the head and they die. Just a shooting gallery.

Powers are like WarFrame's powers...ehh

Game seems way too familiar.

alatif113

There's something awkward about listening to Tyrion's voice and I cant seem to like it. IMO a female voice for the AI wouldve been more fitting but I guess they wanted to stray away from the Cortana vibe.

_DrMario_

That looked really boring. I think it's shooter fatigue in my case. I played Titanfall maybe for 4 hours tops.

Last shooter I bought and played for more then 10 hours was Insurgency.

GavinUK86

Peter Dinklage sounds completely bored reading off those lines. I'm guessing he was told to do it that way but it just sounds off.

Capella

I found the video a little boring, not because the game doesn't look fun, but because what was shown off wasn't much different from what they've shown off at E3 last year. I was kind of expecting more after such a long period of silence because there's still so much content they haven't shown off. Which makes me a little concerned that Bungie's "shared-world" shooter will end up falling into a lot of the same traps that MMOs do. Lack of content or lack of compelling content.

For the most part, I like what I've seen and read about Destiny so far, I just need to see more of it or preferably play it. I don't want to judge the game based on videos too much because I've seen a lot of games that showed off really good looking game play in videos, but when I got to actually play the beta or final release, it was disappointing. This was especially true for a lot of MMOs.

New screenshots here, compiled by a user over on Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/3bGGD

SnL3XWF.jpg

X5pMMWk.jpg

RNdot5X.jpg

XOfveKA.jpg

Xw0fSfR.jpg

HL4YcXj.jpg

NelUOBA.jpg

1NxmKpN.jpg

ifY3kQT.jpg

Looks like a glorified Halo horde mode meets Borderlands. Literally that is what it is...seriously.

Halo combat...Halo melee animations...even the shotgun looks straight ripped from Halo. The vehicle is exactly the same as the Halo ghost lol...

That boss battle tank looking thing is a glorified Halo wraith. Then all the loot is like Borderlands grinding out missions with only ?!TWO?! more players???

Enemy AI looks super dumb like Halo. Shoot the head and they die. Just a shooting gallery.

Halo has dumb AI now?

ryan299

Absolutely agree. Bungie's handling and marketing of Destiny has been, frankly, horrible. Revealed too early, too little information, too much high level concept talk, it's borderline obnoxious.

Show us the game. But I suppose we'll know for sure when E3 rolls around. They can't hide it for much longer, the game's out in 4 months.

I don't think they revealed it too early. I think that they originally thought that they would ship the game in fall of 2013 or early 2014, then the game game got pushed back to fall of 2014 for extra time. That document leaked during the Infinity Ward trial said Fall of 2013.

I think they had a marketing plan and when the game got moved back they struggled.

Seems to me there are already too many competitive MP focused games this gen while I'm starving for some good SP/Co-op games.

You're not the only one, I'm sure, but Bungie's generated a lot of fans over the last 13 years who love their Competitive MP modes, so it's not strange at all that people are not only looking forward to it, but some care about it exclusively. You see the same thing with segments of CoD and Battlefield fans. It should be expected.

Bsigg12

Did you really expect it not echo Halo from the studio who only did Halo for 10 years? I mean that's sort of the draw to this game for a lot of people is that it feels like Halo but it's expanding gameplay in ways Halo cannot. The AI in Halo has been some of the best in FPSes. It scales in a way that isn't cheap and makes the game more enjoyable. If you played all halo games on easy or normal, you missed out on some terrific AI design.

RoKKeR

That looked really boring. I think it's shooter fatigue in my case. I played Titanfall maybe for 4 hours tops.

Last shooter I bought and played for more then 10 hours was Insurgency.

I think I'm getting this as well, to be honest. I think Titanfall is fun as hell but I just quickly tired of it, as I have with Battlefield 4. (though for other reasons, mainly it's perpetual bullshit)

I think this gen I'm going to be most interested in the big SP, co-op, and open world experiences. In that sense Destiny is incredibly exciting to me, but Bungie hasn't showed us how it all comes together yet. Very annoying.

Pop

You guys do know this is just the Strike missions you select from the city. Only one mode of many in Destiny.

Whoa there. Halo has excellent AI and I would say much better looking combat.

titanfall got boring after 20 hours for me. i havnt touched it in 3-4 weeks. its good but lacks depth. this looks like it has depth but just looks boring

What makes you say that? Game has tons of depth. Play CTF, it encourages higher level play. I'm still learning new routes and tricks.

New screenshots here, compiled by a user over on Reddit: http://imgur.com/a/3bGGD

But dat art.

Broritos

I'm surprised some people think the gameplay looks bad. I was never on the hype train for this game and it always looked like a Borderlands type game. That being said, I think there's a lot of variation in the combat. The video showed multiple types of grenades, guns and skills. The skills look like they could be also stacked onto weapons and not just standalone skills and then there are the special weapons like knives and they all have different properties.

The combat was nothing special but the variation of weapons and skills makes it look really fun. Hopefully there's just as much enemy variation as well otherwise it might get boring. Games that are all about combat strive on varying enemy encounters.

atr0cious

Kotaku thinks it's boring.
If I was Totilo, I would put this article on my fridge, because that is Patricia "A small joke" Hernandez's best work.
This reivew bothers me. Not because it's negative.. but because the entire tone throughout the whole thing is negative. It comes across as if the author is tired of games in general and has a special dislike of shooters. Maybe it's just me though.
I think she's just tired of shooters, which is more a knock against the industry. Almost all the big name games, especially GotY contenders, use shooting as the main form of interaction. It's why a bunch of us were let down when Aiden pulls out a gun in the Watch_Dogs E3'12 reveal. The industry is consolidating, and while indies are plugging holes, if indies don't start putting in full on stories like their "AAA" counter-parts, they will always be seen as little more than filler.

I'm right there with you. i have issues with the demo, but not having competitive multiplayer isn't one of them. In fact is this was another COD clone I'd have problems with that too. I just want to see something new in terms of gameplay.

Top Bottom