• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Gameplay

I still think it looks just like Bungie's past games for everything besides the gun shooting. I'm not sure if they are not actually giving it their all when they are playing for sake of capturing enemies and having a good recording but it looks like guns shoot so slow and don't give you that rewarding feeling.

Bessy67

More gameplay, more confirmation it's pretty much Borderlands without the humor. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess, but it doesn't look like anything particularly new or fresh.

eosos

Banned
Im pretty pumped for this game now! Looks like a blast to play with friends. I dunno if this has been answered but is there splitscreen?

Trigger

I'm still interested in the game, but I was hoping too see more of the features that we still don't know much about.

Kyoufu

Looks like it'll be fun to play with friends. Hopefully the game is full of meaningful and interesting loot to pick up.

This game looks unbelievably... average.

Nothing about it grabs me, it by no means looks bad and I'm sure it's a competent shooter however everything they have shown about the game so far looks dull...
That's really it. When you see action footage from RAGE or the new Wolfenstein or even Warframe it kicks you right in the face. Those games have a strong style and presence and flavor.

Destiny seems kindof Haloish. With hoods.

RoKKeR

Its clear they overdubbed the entire trailer with music that doesn't actually happen in game, which was weird and made the whole thing seem like a montage or something and not an actual piece of gameplay.

As a fan of Halo and just judging by this video, I thought the basic shooting, melee combat, grenade throwing, and fighting in general seemed quite tame and lacked a tactile 'oomph' and intensity that Halo combat had, especially on Heroic and Legendary. The best looking, most satisfying things to use definitely seem like the super/special abilities, which all seem pretty strong. Maybe it's an issue of the game being played on the easiest difficulty, but I just wasn't really feeling the gameplay. You definitely felt like Master Chief and in the action in Halo, but I'm not really getting the same feeling from this. I also don't care for the health bars and 'critical' texts either, but I guess that's part of the whole mmo-lite aspect the game's going for.

The art style is nice and cohesive and the game looks solid overall, but nothing mind blowing really. When they had all three characters run by with the exact same run animation, it was somewhat jarring I think, even though that's how it was in their Halo games. Here it just felt a little strange, maybe because all three characters were dressed differently with their different gear. I do like the enemy designs, and think that there can be some fun encounters to be had with them, but I don't think they've shown them yet. I would like to see vehicles definitely.

Overall, I'm still waiting to play the beta and see for myself how the game feels in my hands, but I can't help but feel a little underwhelmed from how the basic gameplay seems through video. I'm sure they are also keeping plenty of cool stuff under wraps.

KORNdoggy

Reminds me of Warframe crossed with Borderlands.

2 games i've sunk more time into then i care to admit. Those 2 games combined with halo surely = something magnificent? The footage didn't grip me as much as the first reveal footage. But the prospect of something even remotely as fun and addictive as the aforementioned games is far too great to not be excited for.

BuzzJive

Playstation Access uploaded new gameplay and info as well.

This made it sound like Beta is coming after E3 (just the way he referenced the info in passing). I'm a little disappointed that it's so late. I want this now!

EDIT: This video shows a lot of various gameplay - felt like spoilers to me - at least in considering different areas and whatnot. I just put it to audio only after a minute or so. Definitely worth a listen.

Avinexus

Voice of that robot cube was terrible. Music, bad. Gameplay was pretty stale. Graphics look great, but like every recent Bungie game. People keep mentioning Borderlands, but this feels nothing like that to me. No character to it.

My hype is dying for this game after this video.

Ummm... unless this was mentioned, if someone has the game on the PS3, is it possible for them to bring characters/data up to the PS4 when they get one?

Voice of that robot cube was terrible. Music, bad. Gameplay was pretty stale. Graphics look great, but like every recent Bungie game.

My hype is dying for this game after this video.

It's Peter Dinklage.

aka_bueno

Dang that looked boring, everything about it lacks impact. Nothing looked satisfying to do in there.

Was really looking forward to it, now it's just meh.

That was so boring to me that I couldn't even finish the video - I stopped at about 5 minutes. Good gunplay, but it was all so uninspired and by-the-numbers.

The game's co-op focus and apparent lack of a strong, fleshed-out single player story turns me off too. I'm not interested in just wandering around and shooting without a really compelling story to motivate my actions and keep me engaged. That's just a personal preference for story-driven games though, I suppose.

Hopefully e3 does much more to sell me on this game. I'm very skeptical at this point.

Bsigg12

Yeah, I see what you're saying. MMO is just a loaded term. When I hear "MMO," I think of running into players all over the game world, not just a central hub. I also think of going on raids with a huge party, not just three people. I've never seen any Guild Wars gameplay, so I have no idea how it works.

Straight from Bungie's mouth. The maximum party count has always been three players. It really bugs me, but it's their game, not mine.

I see where you're coming from as well. Proper MMORPGs are a completely different experience when you see 40-80 people all doing something at once and not groups of 3 just traveling around in kind of linear spaces. It'll be interesting to see how they explain how the game brings people together and creates these shared worlds.

Ghost23

Oh my god the music a 5:50 on is so hilariously bad. I know I seem as though I'm just overly criticizing everything about this preview but man that music MIGHT be the worst part of the preview.

Edit: The music reminds me of 007:Nightfire music on the Gamecube for some reason.

KORNdoggy

More gameplay, more confirmation it's pretty much Borderlands without the humor. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing I guess, but it doesn't look like anything particularly new or fresh.

Why does everything need to be new or fresh, what's wrong with a game just being "ripe"?

Couldn't stop thinking about
killzone-revolver.gif

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I'm a bit bummed by the music choice and the robot voice.

I hope the actual in-game music is better. And put some personality into that damned robot companion!!!

Bessy67

Why does everything need to be new or fresh, what's wrong with a game just being "ripe"?

It doesn't I guess, but in an industry producing sequel after sequel it would be nice if a new IP brought something new and interesting to the table. And maybe Destiny will, but as of now that doesn't look to be the case.

I'd imagine some of the people at Bungie/Activision have got to be nervous about this game's reception. They've already set this up as this massive budget 10 year project. If it doesn't start off well.....yikes.

commedieu

Banned

Coming into this thread blind... I haven't followed Destiny at all. But, it definitely looks like a game with guns. I mean, what else can you say? I've played this, as have you. as have most of us.. As far as the boost from last gen open world, to this, considering infamous, its underwhelming visually. And I think we are going to get a good picture of the difference in PS4 titles, and multiplatforms from Destiny.

The scale argument, thank god, is dead with Infamous. That excuse is over, and really GTA5 was the precursor. You can have scale, and have some pretty buttery visuals/processing/particles/etc. This doesn't look much more interesting than what we've seen of games in the past decade.

I am really not impressed by anything in this trailer. Esp for a PS4/PC title.

Because you're asking someone to buy it. That is why things are new, and fresh. Moderation is fine. No, everything literally does not need to be new, or fresh. A game being ripe, is fine as well. But none of that is what I'm seeing in destiny. I see more of the same gameplay in a 7 minute video. The dynamics, the animations, the pacing, its all the same old shit.

Destiny seems to have a lot of hype, and even on the outside of the hype bubble, it just looks like a sci-fi shooter that wouldn't even be a thing if it wasn't for the pedigree of the developer.

Sort of reminds me of insomiac with Resistance 2/3(whiehver one they lost their minds with on scale) The problem is that the gameplay is monotonous. Newer and fresh gameplay experiences can be expected with new hardware and walls being broken that were in the way before.

Its an excuse to keep the current state of bullshit gaming going. Just texture map updates for the same gameplay and $400 dollars to buy the system. meh.

That looked interesting enough to me. I also liked the music seems everyone hated it. It does seem like a re skinned Halo with some Borderlands thrown into it. But I'm more interested in the structure of the game. The way you get missions, the raids and how seamless and integrated single and multiplayer are. Kinda excited for the beta.

What an embarrassing thread.

I'll come back when the genius junior members in here decide once and for all whether this game is a clone of Halo or Mass Effect or Borderlands or Half-Life 2 or Killzone in their amazingly insightful drive-by posts.

VanWinkle

It is interesting that the first long-form gameplay footage they chose to show after almost a year is a very close quarters, mostly linear, indoor section like this. It lacks oomph and they should have chose something with larger scale and more excitement. It impressed me, but it's probably just more because of how excited I already am for the game.

I'll come back when the genius junior members in here decide once and for all whether this game is a clone of Halo or Mass Effect or Borderlands or Half-Life 2 or Killzone in their amazingly insightful drive-by posts.
Embarassing thread? What?

Jeez, even the mission types are the same as WarFrame.
Though I'm not sure how replayable these Destiny missions will be.

Warframe at least has the randomized layouts with dynamic elements to mix each mission up.

Still so many unanswered questions with this game, so I imagine this'll be a great e3 for that stuff. But man I wish this game put forth a stronger first impression.

What an amazingly insightful drive-by post.

Kiant

Wasn't it confirmed that xbox one is running Windows 8 right now. So if this is developed for xbox one, one would think that if is pretty close to being able to run on a PC. Right?

Well we are talking about Activision here, not exactly a beacon of light when it come's to porting for the PC. I was just mainly pointing out that the link the other guy used was not from a reputable source.

Honestly, that didn't really get me that hyped. I think the regular movement speed being so slow is bothering me and some of the powers look a little OP at the moment. Maybe that's just for the demo though. I still liked it, but previous footage got me more excited. Would love to see some more exploring or traveling or different areas.

Toa TAK

Banned
I really enjoyed that video. Having Dinklage around is awesome and the music just makes me miss Marty more, for I really enjoyed it. Especially 4:11 onwards.

That's probably fine for people who don't play too many games in the genre. But for (some) people who have already played games like Borderlands, Mass Effect, Halo, etc. it's boring. It's been done before. I'm personally looking for something unique and fresh. I'm sure it'll look more appealing at E3.

KJRS_1993

Man, I dunno about this one.
It just seems so plain. I want to like it, but there's so little exciting :(
The Titan's from Titanfall, or the skyscraper collapsing in Battlefield 4 looked so exciting.
This game just doesn't look impressive so far :(

Ghost23

Are a lot of these complaints not justified by the video they released today?

Tambini

Hmm I want to play the beta before I make up my mind, but I'm not 100% feeling it right now even though I like Halo and Borderlands

Bsigg12

The voice itself is fine, it just doesn't fit as a small robot cube voice. At least not to me.

It didn't sound like it was mixed very well. It seems like the character is meant to sound bored and like a smartass as that's how he was in the E3 video from last year but here it seemed like his audio was out of place along with the music. Also I stated it earlier, the guns, besides the shotgun, don't sound like they have any power behind them. Again, probably just the way the video was mixed.

Top Bottom