• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Destiny Site Launches - Lots of new footage and info

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grief.exe

He's beating around the bush too much. The (unconfirmed but nearly inevitable) better visuals and Sony exclusive content would be the two most compelling reasons to go PS4 for Destiny in the eyes of the average gamer.

Yep, that is what I said initially. Just trying to show him what a poor argument is.

I'm guessing framerate, resolution, and it will have the larger install base of the current-gen consoles.

You go into matches with your own customized gear/weapons and you can switch gear mid-match.

That's the opposite of arena-style.

Well, the poster was trying to compare it to Halo. They'd have to expand on that, but I believe they're asking if it's traditional deathmatch FPS on maps, or more like MMO open world PvP. Call of Duty has customizable gear in multiplayer. Hell, even Halo 4 did.

Well, the poster was trying to compare it to Halo. They'd have to expand on that, but I believe they're asking if it's traditional deathmatch FPS on maps, or more like MMO open world PvP. Call of Duty has customizable gear in multiplayer. Hell, even Halo 4 did.

I guess I don't consider Halo 4 an arena-shooter specifically because it has customizable gear. But you're right, that wasn't his question.

Lunar15

I'm actually pretty excited for this game. It sounds like Guild Wars meets Borderlands but with more of a matchmaking/pick-up game style.

However, Bungie's writing is just so vague. We built "The City" under "The Traveler" where "The Guardians" watch over us.

I get that that's kind of the point, but yeesh. Sometimes it comes off as corny.

You're in for a huge disappointment. It isn't arena-style multiplayer. Not even a little bit.

While not totally confirmed, I'm getting this impression as well. I think they're going for a similar formula to that of Titanfall: low skill gap/less "competitive", but also fast, fun and well balanced.

The "balance" would be my main concern going in. Reach did not exactly set new standards in this regard.

kanuuna

Man, this looks so fucking delicious. And the score is just fantastic. I don't think I'll be pre-ordering to get into any betas, but I'm definitely loving what I see, and have seen.
As a small note, I really hope they stick to that minimalistic HUD. The less clutter, the better. The art really looks great.

This almost completely ignores the fact that it's a new gen with a different install base. Judging by overall sales of each system, it's safe to say that a number of Bungie's 360 fanbase own PS4's at the moment. An exact number is impossible to tell but to assume that Bungie's fanbase is still primarily Xbox would be presumptuous at the moment.

In any case, as far as I know, the only advantage the Sony consoles currently have with regards to Destiny is timed exclusivity. People can and should buy the game on whatever console they want.

Edit: Well it appears a few posts above there will indeed be exclusive content on Sony systems. That along with a currently larger install base, would probably make PS4 the system to buy it on if one were really torn on which system to buy it on.

This MARKETING agreement between Activision/Bungie and Sony was finalized and announced well before a single PS4 or XBO was ever sold, so player base was not a factor. The agreement was made so Sony fans can get to know Bungie.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Halo + Borderlands + MMO raids and other trappings pretty much. There is PvP and they have been super vague on it. One of my biggest concerns is whether or not your gear and lvls affect PvE and if so how the heck would that be balanced?

Game balance and Bungie don't exist.

lol.

broony

PS4 is looking to be the definitive version. It's the version they have been using to show the game and it's got the exclusive playstation content.

For amazon.co.uk preorders, they are not sending codes until a later date. If you are desperate for a code right now then just order on amazon.com who send the code straight away. Your .co.uk login details work on .com.

Man, this looks so fucking delicious. And the score is just fantastic. I don't think I'll be pre-ordering to get into any betas, but I'm definitely loving what I see, and have seen.
As a small note, I really hope they stick to that minimalistic HUD. The less clutter, the better. The art really looks great.

sore subject bro

TTUVAPOR

Banned
All this talk of Borderlands is worrying me. If destiny multiplayer isnt like halo but with new characters and weapons then I'll be cancelling my preorder. Not into my MMO games in the slightest. Roll on the beta.

I think they're carefully not unveiling all of the details because of the potential backfire of bad feedback from fans.

I know at E3 or whatever conf last year, they were saying open living world where you and three other friends can explore and take part in quests?

Just sounds like a huge coop game to me, but I could be wrong. From the look of things, it's got icing on its cake but we don't know what the cake actually looks or tastes like.

While not totally confirmed, I'm getting this impression as well. I think they're going for a similar formula to that of Titanfall: low skill gap/less "competitive", but also fast, fun and well balanced.

The "balance" would be my main concern going in. Reach did not exactly set new standards in this regard.

I guess I just want an experience where I can say, "wow that match felt very fair! I feel good about winning/I deserved to have lost." Call of Duty and Titanfall don't give me those feelings. There's always a feeling of chaos, lack of control, and cheapness. Arena-games don't really allow that type of gameplay, and it's the gameplay I prefer.

This MARKETING agreement between Activision/Bungie and Sony was finalized and announced well before a single PS4 or XBO was ever sold, so player base was not a factor. The agreement was made so Sony fans can get to know Bungie.

Nope. More likely it was made for money. Pleny of "Sony fans" have played Halo. Bungie is also known for quality. If a "Sony fan" was reluctant to try out a Bungie game, exclusive content or timed exclusivity would not be a tipping point.

I guess I just want an experience where I can say, "wow that match felt very fair! I feel good about winning/I deserved to have lost." Call of Duty and Titanfall don't give me those feelings. There's always a feeling of chaos, lack of control, and cheapness. Arena-games don't really allow that type of gameplay, and it's the gameplay I prefer.

Yeah- I'd wait to see specifics, which could come as early as next Monday when the media embargo ends, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for Destiny to be a well balanced arena shooter with a high skill gap. The all but confirmed Halo 2 remake for XB1 this fall would probably be more what you're looking for.

It's crazy how little they've shown us thus far...really looking for some substantial info at next week/E3. I must know if multiplayer is going to tickle my fancy real nice like a Bungie game oughta.

Yeah- I'd wait to see specifics, which could come as early as next Monday when the media embargo ends, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for Destiny to be a well balanced arena shooter with a high skill gap. The all but confirmed Halo 2 remake for XB1 this fall would probably be more what you're looking for.

It's the only enticing thing about the XB1 for me. Although neither consoles have been very enticing yet.

Nope. More likely it was made for money. Pleny of "Sony fans" have played Halo. Bungie is also known for quality. If a "Sony fan" was reluctant to try out a Bungie game, exclusive content or timed exclusivity would not be a tipping point.
I'm sure money was Activisions primary motive, but it wasn't Bungie's. Sure some of Sony's fans have played Halo, but the majority of their fan base is on the Xbox side. And their fan base is pretty rabid.. and not just for the Halo IP but for Bungie as a studio. They want to be bring Sony fans into that fold and what better way to do that than to have "exclusive" content and a early beta period. This thread shows it's helped from a perception stand point.

I'm really hoping you can use one character between the One and PS4 versions. I might get both if that's the case.

I highly doubt that would be possible. In games like this typically all the information regarding characters is server side and there's no way that MS and Sony will allow Bungie to let both console bases communicate to the same servers.

I'm sure money was Activisions primary motive, but it wasn't Bungie's. Sure some of Sony's fans have played Halo, but the majority of their fan base is on the Xbox side. And their fan base is pretty rabid.. and not just for the Halo IP but for Bungie as a studio. They want to be bring Sony fans into that fold and what better way to do that than to have "exclusive" content and a early beta period. This thread shows it's helped from a perception stand point.

All indications from the Destiny announcement at the Sony Conference last year was that it was a deal that was struck very late iirc. As if Sony approached Bungie and not the other way around. I also don't think exclusive content and early beta is nearly enough to make someone who isn't already open to playing the game decide to play it. I could see that logic if Bungie was making the Beta available for "free" to all PS Plus members but that doesn't appear to be the case. This really is more of a boon to Sony than it is to Bungie, especially when considering the deal was struck before the consoles were launched.

i love the idea of a more open world pvp where gear can help or hinder you, and then a standalone run of the mill pvp more akin to how regular fps games work, would be very sick :p

BuzzJive

It's crazy how little they've shown us thus far...really looking for some substantial info at next week/E3. I must know if multiplayer is going to tickle my fancy real nice like a Bungie game oughta.

What more should they have shown at this point? The GameInformer article had quite a bit of stuff in it. The new website has some nice stuff - especially the 3 Guardians videos. The game is still over 4 months from coming out, with the beta sometime before then, a media drop next week apparently, and then there's E3. Are you just wanting to see like full MP options and some full matches? Maybe some maps? What else?

What more should they have shown at this point? The GameInformer article had quite a bit of stuff in it. The new website has some nice stuff - especially the 3 Guardians videos. The game is still over 4 months from coming out, with the beta sometime before then, a media drop next week apparently, and then there's E3. Are you just wanting to see like full MP options and some full matches? Maybe some maps? What else?

I'd say it's about time to take the lid off of multiplayer. Show us a couple maps and give us the lowdown on exactly how it's going to work.

On the co-op/campaign side, it'd be nice to see the central hub and see exactly what system we're going to be using for exploring both planet-side and around the solar system. It's also high time to show us a new campaign level. We've been primarily staring at the same campaign level and same public event/group encounter for almost an entire calendar year, barring a few tiny snippets.

Next week should be good!

Amneisac

Myth_II_Cover.jpg

The last great Bungie game.

That game was so awesome. I loved the little sapper dudes with the bombs.

besides being made by Bungie, why is this game getting so many people hyped?

all these gifs do nothing for me.

Same here. Game looks cool and all and I'm a fan of Bungie so I've preordered, but I havent actually seen anything that blows me away. Not so hyped, just patiently waiting and willing to give it a chance.

Really I'm just looking for a good Halo replacement since I probably won't be getting an XB1 but I'm a fan of the series.

MysteryM

From the answers to my original question regarding destiny having competitive team slayer given the amount of contradicting responses I think its pretty clear that no one is entirely sure what the multiplayer will look like.

I for one still have a hope its going the halo route, Bungie aren't stupid - they know they need to keep the faithful in tow. Damn tell me that that isn't a plasma grenade equivalent at 3:23 in the following vidoc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1OjUWw43co

Same here. Game looks cool and all and I'm a fan of Bungie so I've preordered, but I havent actually seen anything that blows me away. Not so hyped, just patiently waiting and willing to give it a chance.

Really I'm just looking for a good Halo replacement since I probably won't be getting an XB1 but I'm a fan of the series.

It's basically an open world Halo with loot and emphasis on co-op. As long as few of those elements don't turn you off, what's not to get hyped about?

From the answers to my original question regarding destiny having competitive team slayer given the amount of contradicting responses I think its pretty clear that no one is entirely sure what the multiplayer will look like.

I for one still have a hope its going the halo route, Bungie aren't stupid - they know they need to keep the faithful in tow. Damn tell me that that isn't a plasma grenade equivalent at 3:23 in the following vidoc:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1OjUWw43co

There could be either a competitive mode or arena mode, but I wouldn't count on it.

I'm just not sure about this game. I can't put my finger on it. I think I'm a bit weary of games that try to do too much. If anyone can pull this off bungie can but I'm not gonna get too hyped and be disappointed.

BuzzJive

Yeah, this is the garbage I don't like. I don't give a shit how balanced things are, I don't want to play a match where all my opponents are using random as fuck things. I want equal-footing with map-spawns.

Guess I'll get Halo 2A.

I'm hoping for some very diverse playlists that can resolve this. Some that have "bring your own gear" and some that have set loadouts or whatever.

Pain

Banned
Yeah, this is the garbage I don't like. I don't give a shit how balanced things are, I don't want to play a match where all my opponents are using random as fuck things. I want equal-footing with map-spawns.

Guess I'll get Halo 2A.
I guess you'll never play a modern multiplayer game ever again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom