• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Diablo 3 Trailer: Follower System

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Corky said:
What the...

Now I know Blizz always gets the benefit of the doubt, but is it just me or are the visuals getting progressively worse? Or is it simply the media itself, I will never forget those first clips of the barbarian going through those crypts with creatures climbing up the walls. Somehow that looks better than the things that are getting released now.

Maybe it's just me.
The illumination is downright abysmal.

Lothars

After seeing Blizzard North's version (RIP), I really can't get excited for this anymore. It just doesn't remind me of Diablo. If I do buy it, it'll be way down the line.

I'm surprised about that mainly because the Blizzard North version looked like a little better version of Diablo 2, which isn't bad at all but in the long run I don't mind this version at all.

zazrx said:
they aren't going to show a trailer of the game at max, they are going to show what most people will be able to run.

Oh you better believe they're showing the game at max settings. That's what everyone always does. It makes no sense to make your game look bad by showing it at lower settings.

poisonelf

I'm conflicted about this trailer. I belong firmly in the "I hate the look" camp, but the gameplay and general feel seemed 100% Diablo here.

On the other hand, how hard is it to make a fucking scaleable engine when you're a multi-billion company. This shit is designed for years old hardware only.

And if anyone cannot see WoW and only WoW when looking at that paladin guy, you're in denial.

PSYGN

I wonder if the blurriness is just the dust kicking up and desaturating and blending in objects coupled with low res video that makes it hard to differentiate the ground and dust.

V_Arnold

Oni Link 666 said:
Oh you better believe they're showing the game at max settings. That's what everyone always does. It makes no sense to make your game look bad by showing it at lower settings.

You sir, are in for a HUGE surprise when Diablo becomes playable by everyone, with maxed settings.

Ricker

Something seems off in this video,for one I thought the animations would be a whole lot better then that,I mean Sacred 2 had better animation then in this video... not impressed,hopefully it`s a shitty coded compressed vid or something.

Diablo 3 looked fantastic when it was first announced 3 years ago. Now? It's pretty much meeting the standard, not going above it, and most certainly not pushing it.

Having said all that, yes Diablo 3 looks like fun to me. I will buy it. I'm just not excited about the game like I was 3 years ago. I do not go out of my way to follow it's development in any way, shape, or form. When I stumble on posts like this, I check it out, then go about my day without any real change in my attitude towards the game just because I have no date to look forward to. Even if given one, chances are it will be delayed. It's Blizzard. They have a history with this problem.

By not knowing when their games will be released, they lose a lot of steam for me. Just look at SC2 which began production in 2003-2004. In the time it took them to release that game, Relic released Dawn of War, 3 expansions, it's sequel Dawn of War 2, and it's first expansion. WoW follows a similar template of releasing content too slowly. EverQuest released 2 expansions a year with a fraction of the profit that WoW produces. Hell, it's taking Blizzard a year+ to produce an expansion pack for SC2. An expansion that still has nothing official attached to it yet. It's crazy to me. It's also frustrating.

SillyEskimo said:
Diablo 3 looked fantastic when it was first announced 3 years ago. Now? It's pretty much meeting the standard, not going above it, and most certainly not pushing it.

Having said all that, yes Diablo 3 looks like fun to me. I will buy it. I'm just not excited about the game like I was 3 years ago. I do not go out of my way to follow it's development in any way, shape, or form. When I stumble on posts like this, I check it out, then go about my day without any real change in my attitude towards the game just because I have no date to look forward to. Even if given one, chances are it will be delayed. It's Blizzard. They have a history with this problem.

By not knowing when their games will be released, they lose a lot of steam for me. Just look at SC2 which began production in 2003-2004. In the time it took them to release that game, Relic released Dawn of War, 3 expansions, it's sequel Dawn of War 2, and it's first expansion. WoW follows a similar template of releasing content too slowly. EverQuest released 2 expansions a year with a fraction of the profit that WoW produces. Hell, it's taking Blizzard a year+ to produce an expansion pack for SC2. An expansion that still has nothing official attached to it yet. It's crazy to me. It's also frustrating.

I don't agree with most of that, but I did like Old Blizzard(D2 Lod, Sc) more than New Blizzard.

KKRT00

V_Arnold said:
You sir, are in for a HUGE surprise when Diablo becomes playable by everyone, with maxed settings.

OK. Explain to me why anyone would show their upcoming game at anything less than max settings.

Raide

The thing I am looking forward to most with Diablo 3 is seeing the "Making Of" videos that (might) come with the CE. :D

As shown with Starcraft, they delayed it because they wanted it to be a great game. Do people really think Blizzard will release Diablo 3 and it not be utterly awesome? Loot games are pretty basic but I expect Blizzard to inject storytelling, amazing cinematics, replayability by the truckload and plentiful post-game updates.

Lothars

Oni Link 666 said:
OK. Explain to me why anyone would show their upcoming game at anything less than max settings.

I would think it's because it's in Beta and doesn't have all the polish that it would have near launch.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
For the people going to replay Diablo 2 (If you play online): How the hell do you get good equipment in this game?

People set ridiculous standards for trading.

Tomat said:
For the people going to replay Diablo 2 (If you play online): How the hell do you get good equipment in this game?

Power level, then farm end bosses.

Raide

Tomat said:

Nightmare mode Boss Grinding. :D

Lothars said:
I would think it's because it's in Beta and doesn't have all the polish that it would have near launch.

Yeah, I'm not saying they're going to show anything that doesn't exist yet or that the game might not look a bit better when it's released. I'm saying that they're showing the game as pretty as it can possibly look right now and not purposely turning down the graphics for some reason.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Atomski said:
Is it bad that I am actually feeling more excited for Torchlight 2 due to being out sooner and a lot more cheaper?

*don't stone me

No you can count me into that list. I like the TL II art style and direction slightly better than this, and IDK I'm just feeling that games direction a tad more.

Tremis

This man does his research.
Its funny how you constantly hear people saying D3 looks like WoW and yet no one defines what they mean by that. What else is the first 3-D Diablo supposed to look like, exactly?

And even if it looks like WoW (whatever that means), why is that bad? WoW designs often look fantastic. If its low polycount, that shit won't matter since you are never going to be zoomed in enough to see it. Additionally, people complaining about skills having too many primary colours need to go play D2 again and take a good long look, LOL.

KKRT00

Tomat said:

Ask for taxi to act 5 on nightmare and the ask for free items [people really like to throw out worse item for free]. I've got once whole set [+ talismans and even torch] from a guy who was quiting Diablo 2. Just be polite and patient.

Tremis said:
What else is the first 3-D Diablo supposed to look like, exactly?
More like Demon's Souls for example?

Or like renders from Diablo 2?
http://www.myfreewallpapers.net/games/wallpapers/diablo-2-paladin.jpg
http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l8n0vd2LSI1qb5sxlo2_500.jpg
http://www.wallpaper.cz/primo/old_ir/diablo_barbarian_4--400x300.jpg
http://gamesintroduce.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/wall1-1440x9001.jpg
http://wallpapers.latestscreens.com...fdestruction/diabloiilordofdestruction_03.jpg

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Does anyone else feel like taking all the quotes of people complaining and then saving them until the game releases and it destroys everything, seriously getting sick of every Diablo 3 thread being filled with the same complaints. Diablo 2 looks like shit these days, but it's still an amazingly fun game to play.

The graphics looked ok when they first announced the game, now it just looks medicore as hell, wish it had that old diablo art style.

lordy88

Tomat said:

Know the market. I literally found a Cold skills Gc and a white monarch whilst doing Chaos runs and turned that into unlimited wealth. Seriously, it's not that hard.

And seriously guys, y'all need some Kleenexes after crying so much about the graphics. Wait to see it for yourselves before everyone forgets why Diablo 2 is STILL being play by thousands.

Ferrio

Banned
KKRT00 said:

If you viewed demon souls from the top down I'm going to bet it'd be reallly hard to tell what is what. Artstyle effects gameplay as well as aesthetics.

gillty

Banned
Atomski said:
Is it bad that I am actually feeling more excited for Torchlight 2 due to being out sooner and a lot more cheaper?

*don't stone me
You're not the only one...

Also Torchlights art style is just more appealing to me.

I take back what I said about the graphics being competent. After re-watching it, I'm beginning to think these are console graphics.......could it be??????? Maybe that's why they look so bad???

Tremis

KKRT00 said:

I still don't know what this means. You mean having a high poly count? I just don't see why that matters. Not trying to be argumentative, but I'm just genuinely wondering what else people were expecting the game to look like.

Maybe like Hellgate but overhead view I guess? Then again, I'm not sure if that wouldn't look like what we are seeing now.

Ferrio said:
If you viewed demon souls from the top down I'm going to bet it'd be reallly hard to tell what is what. Artstyle effects gameplay as well as aesthetics.

This is a great point actually. I'm sure Blizz took into account how many enemies/effects that are going to be on the screen simultaneously and developed the game around that.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Looks beautiful as usual. Really, really can't wait.

V_Arnold

SillyEskimo said:

SillyEskimo, here is a fun fact for you: ever since Burning Crusade, once Blizzards gives you a release date, they DO keep it. So sleep tight.

Raide

Tremis said:
This is a great point actually. I'm sure Blizz took into account how many enemies/effects that are going to be on the screen simultaneously and developed the game around that.

I remember seeing the first reveal footage for Diablo 3 and saw loads of monsters attacking the Barbarian. Thats classic Diablo for me. Many pretenders to the Diablo crown do a similar thing but they tend to cut back on the amount of crazy going on in the game.

Blizzard like to make games that will work on loads of machines (WoW, SC2 being current examples) Yes they could make an uber stunning game and market it at the high end graphics market but then they would be dropping a huge percentage of their fanbase.

Tremis

KKRT00 said:

Is this the consensus of the others here opposed to the current look? Would you rather have D3 look like the old D2 renders?

Raide said:
I remember seeing the first reveal footage for Diablo 3 and saw loads of monsters attacking the Barbarian. Thats classic Diablo for me. Many pretenders to the Diablo crown do a similar thing but they tend to cut back on the amount of crazy going on in the game.

Blizzard like to make games that will work on loads of machines (WoW, SC2 being current examples) Yes they could make an uber stunning game and market it at the high end graphics market but then they would be dropping a huge percentage of their fanbase.

True. Hopefully max settings will satisfy that audience. I'm satisfied with max settings in SC2.

LogicStep

Ikuu said:
Does anyone else feel like taking all the quotes of people complaining and then saving them until the game releases and it destroys everything, seriously getting sick of every Diablo 3 thread being filled with the same complaints. Diablo 2 looks like shit these days, but it's still an amazingly fun game to play.
Do it! If it wasn't because last time I played D2 I pretty much beat the game in like 2 weeks I would go back to it. But right now I will just sit tight and wait, I might try Torchlight again.

Deadstar

I really hope these aren't the graphics at full quality. The game just does not look as good as it should for a gaming coming out in 2011. When the camera zoomed in you can see a ton of pixellation. I have no doubt this will be a fun game but how can this game look worse than starcraft 2?

V_Arnold

Tremis said:
Its funny how you constantly hear people saying D3 looks like WoW and yet no one defines what they mean by that. What else is the first 3-D Diablo supposed to look like, exactly?

And even if it looks like WoW (whatever that means), why is that bad? WoW designs often look fantastic. If its low polycount, that shit won't matter since you are never going to be zoomed in enough to see it. Additionally, people complaining about skills having too many primary colours need to go play D2 again and take a good long look, LOL.

Believe me, you do not wanna start this argument. Last time I tried to battle the flow of "This looks EXACTLY LIKE WOW", funny things happened. You can check it out in its thread somewhere in the last D3 news bit, but the point is:

-If they do not try to even DISTANCE themselves to the supposedly DARKEST areas of WoW, they are a fucking WoW-clone-makers
-If they have slightly exaggerated weapon/armor sizes, even if it trails behind WoW's, they are friggin' cloning WoW's style
-Other than that, they are most likely copy-pasting enviroments from WoW (no, they do not).

Problem comes when one game is fantasy with a darker tone sometimtes, and other is..dark fantasy. Huh, they should look soooo different. And I dare anyone to show me something that looks like Dalaran or Exodar in D3.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Last time I tried to battle the flow of "This looks EXACTLY LIKE WOW", funny things happened.
Yes, I got banned. That's one of the things :lol

I've stopped defending Diablo III, I really don't give a shit anymore.

Tremis

V_Arnold said:
Believe me, you do not wanna start this argument. Last time I tried to battle the flow of "This looks EXACTLY LIKE WOW", funny things happened. You can check it out in its thread somewhere in the last D3 news bit, but the point is:

-If they do not try to even DISTANCE themselves to the supposedly DARKEST areas of WoW, they are a fucking WoW-clone-makers
-If they have slightly exaggerated weapon/armor sizes, even if it trails behind WoW's, they are friggin' cloning WoW's style
-Other than that, they are most likely copy-pasting enviroments from WoW (no, they do not).

To be honest, it seems like you've done a good job of ending the argument right here.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
V_Arnold said:
I suggest all of you go through this trailer pausing 20-30 times so you know all the different skills you can choose. The amount of options is INSANE, I cant believe some people will spend months (years) figuring out which build goes to which follower build.

I already know that all three follower could be a good fit to my MONK!
Insane?
It's just 1 skill per 5 levels. Looks to be fairly simple.
Reflect arrows or increased resistance? Piercing shot or multishot?

I'll be picking the bow guy since he will have +loot and +gold drop.

Raide

MrToughPants said:
Gameplay is Diablo but it doesn't look like Diablo.

I think it will be hard to transition from the awesome 2D stuff they did before, over to a 3D version (Hence all the WoW talk). So much more to think about. Especially lighting and environmental details.

Deadstar

Hazaro said:
Insane?
It's just 1 skill per 5 levels. Looks to be fairly simple.
Reflect arrows or increased resistance? Piercing shot or multishot?

I'll be picking the bow guy since he will have +loot and +gold drop.

You don't get 1 skill per level anymore?

Also, the camera is not locked anymore?

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If you didn't tell me it was Diablo III, I'd figure it was just another clone. It has nothing to do with the art style either, it just looks slow.

shintoki said:
If you didn't tell me it was Diablo III, I'd figure it was just another clone. It has nothing to do with the art style either, it just looks slow.

Probably because thats act 1, dem zombies were slow in D2 too.

KKRT00

Raide said:
Name one game that has less enemies than section from reveal? To help You a little Titan Quest [released in 2006] and Torchlight [indy game] arent those games.

Raide said:
Browser, free to play, game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZB5Y02qHZ1M

And anyone who thinks that trailer from OP isnt highest settings, is in denial.

Tremis said:
Is this the consensus of the others here opposed to the current look? Would you rather have D3 look like the old D2 renders?
Yes, because this is the art style that made Diablo so popular and respected franchise. Diablo 3 just dont have dark fantasy art style.

Top Bottom