• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Documentary Suggestions

Soltype

Anybody have any new documentaries they would recommend? I've been trying to watch some new ones, but a lot have a weird tone/vibe, either trying to inject too much levity or drama. Anybody have any new documentary suggestions, preferably all steak, no sizzle.

GeekyDad

This guy has a great channel of very analytical reviews of various airplane incidents and disasters (and near disasters). He's a long-time (currently active) commercial pilot, and though I know nothing about and had no prior interest in aviation, I've been hooked on his videos for the past month or two. He came up in my recommended with a video regarding the Miracle on the Hudson landing (which inspired me to watch the movie Sully, which was a vacant, meaningless story compared to his analysis of the occurrence). Very good stuff, presenting tons of technical nerd stuff in a very interesting manner.

Last edited:

Soltype

not new but all steak

This guy has a great channel of very analytical reviews of various airplane incidents and disasters (and near disasters). He's a long-time (currently active) commercial pilot, and though I know nothing about and had no prior interest in aviation, I've been hooked on his videos for the past month or two. He came up in my recommended with a video regarding the Miracle on the Hudson landing (which inspired me to watch the movie Sully, which was a vacant, meaningless story compared to his analysis of the occurrence). Very good stuff, presenting tons of technical nerd stuff in a very interesting manner.

This is the stuff I'm looking for, nice and dry.

Loved every second of this six-part series! From 2022.

More intense than many movies these days. From 2021

"Ahoy" makes THE best documentaries about video games! Just perfection :)

Never knew there was a doc on Polybius.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Donut king is good.

Amazon prime makes a great courses available every so often. This time it is England. Very good.

Loved every second of this six-part series! From 2022.

"Ahoy" makes THE best documentaries about video games! Just perfection :)

Do you know of any channels similar to Ahoy? Also curious why he went a whole year without a new video and then dropped the XCOM doc 3 weeks ago

clarky

Gold Member

Fun fact i used to live in Thailand and a few of my pals are in this (not the main crew but nearer the front of the caves on support). Probably would have got involved myself but I was offshore at the time. I was based on an Island call Koh Tao, big diving community and a lot of the gear used came from our dive shops. You can see one of my pals gets the whiskey out after the last man makes it.

Great film highly recommended.

GladiusFrog

All steak, no sizzle.

Despite the trailer, The Documentary is strictly archived footage from the BBC and subtitles. No voice narration, or soundtrack.

Best Documentary I've seen this year. you can find all 7 parts on the youtubes.

Russia 1985-1999: TraumaZone a Adam Curtis Documentary (2022)​

Last edited:

Baradox

Neo Member
Do you know of any channels similar to Ahoy? Also curious why he went a whole year without a new video and then dropped the XCOM doc 3 weeks ago
Unfortunately not. There are many people on YouTube who make interesting documentaries, but none come close to the quality of Ahoy. The guy developed his own style and perfected it. But anyway you can check out these Youtubers:

- Gaming Historian
- Josh Strife Plays
- NeverKnowsBest
- Whitelight
- Noah Caldwell Gervais
- My Life in Gaming
- Mauler (long documentaries about movies)
- Oneshorteye (documentaries about speedrunning old adventure games)
- summonigsault (speedrun documentaries)
- Internethistorian.....just funny!!! :)

Hope you will find some entertainig videos

Last edited:
Unfortunately not. There are many people on YouTube who make interesting documentaries, but none come close to the quality of Ahoy. The guy developed his own style and perfected it. But anyway you can check out these Youtubers:

- Gaming Historian
- Josh Strife Plays
- NeverKnowsBest
- Whitelight
- Noah Caldwell Gervais
- My Life in Gaming

Thanks man!

Diogodx

Neo Member
Just watched yesterday "Why Beauty Matters" presented by Roger Scruton.

Channels that I like:

Timeline - World History Documentaries (history)
The People Profiles (biographies)
GVMERS and Noclip (video games)
Internet Historian (comedy format about recent internet events)

Ballthyrm

- Gaming Historian
- Josh Strife Plays
- NeverKnowsBest
- Whitelight
- Noah Caldwell Gervais
- My Life in Gaming

If you like documentary style youtubers, there is a few I would recommend.
These are more engineering oriented but the quality is really outstanding.

I've been watching all three seasons of Vice's Dark Side of the Ring on All 4. This was one of the worst episode's.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not a new movie, but Free Solo is a great movie. If anyone hasnt seen it, it's a about a climber scaling a giant cliff with no gear. My hands were sweating watching this. The guy is batshit crazy (in a lteral sense since he's odd in personality and mannerisms), but insane at the skill and strength.

Mr1999

Gold Member
Anybody have any new documentaries they would recommend? I've been trying to watch some new ones, but a lot have a weird tone/vibe, either trying to inject too much levity or drama. Anybody have any new documentary suggestions, preferably all steak, no sizzle.

I remember one documentary not too long ago that I found fascinating. The documentary was about people who had traumatic brain injuries. They brought in these people with their families for tests to see if they would be able to communicate but not through conventional methods like speaking or sign language, they were unable to do any of this, so you would have a lot of families who thought their loved one was "not there".

Researchers would hook up probes to their head and ask them questions, for example, one of the questions was "Are you in pain?", they would then ask the person to think of playing tennis for a "NO" and something else for "YES", can't remember exactly what the questions were. Just seeing the parents reaction was great, they came into this thinking their kid was a vegetable only to walk out ecstatic knowing that he/she was lucid. Their reaction was that of someone who had won the lottery, it was very moving. Sadly not all had similar outcomes.

Never seen anything like it to be honest, believe the researchers were out of the UK, it was a UK documentary. If I can remember the name I'll let you know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom