• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Dragon Age: Inquisition screenshots (PC version)

It's a Qunari. They're supposed to be humanoid. They were actually just larger looking humans in Origins but got revamped to have horns in DA2.

it has been so long since I've played the games.

And I only played a few hours of da 2.

I honestly couldn't even tell you what the stories were about. I just remember the starting zone I chose and getting Morrigan in the first one.

Dawg

So is that a second Skyhold in the desert pic, or just a fort the Inquisition can take for its own in the region as a camp?

A fort you can take. You defeat the soldiers in there and then it's yours. You can then fast travel there, buy stuff, improve armor and other things :)

Sigfodr

So is that a second Skyhold in the desert pic, or just a fort the Inquisition can take for its own in the region as a camp?

I believe that is Adamant, a fortress introduced in the novel Asunder.

Fanboy annoyance question: Wasn't the sand in the Western Approach described as purple in Asunder?

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
A fort you can take. You defeat the soldiers in there and then it's yours. You can then fast travel there, buy stuff, improve armor and other things :)

Figured so, thanks for the info.

Looks good at any rate, I may have to re-consider waiting to pick up a 970.

Tenrius

I don't know, it looks sort of bad. The colors are wrong, everything is made of rubber the interface doesn't look particularly good either, don't dig it in general. Then again I've had precisely zero interest in this game since its announcement.

LowParry

this game isnt impressing me one bit...it looks ugly and too colorful for me.

If I had to guess with those screenshots, the bloom is what you'll want turned off. I don't know if the option is there or if Dawg could give us a comparison shot with bloom on and off.

Edit: As for the colors, I'm not getting what you mean. It looks pretty damn good to me.

Tenrius

Just out of curiousity: how.. are the colours wrong, exactly? I mean I see green foliage, blue sky, etc.

The color palette is simply not appealing, I'm not enjoying it from an aesthetic viewpoint. I'm all for colorful games, but this one just looks ugly for the most part.

Hedge

The color palette is simply not appealing, I'm not enjoying it for an aesthetic viewpoint. I'm all for colorful games, but this one just looks ugly for the most part.

Right, so like oversaturated colours? I can see that in the above screenshots, but I think it depends a lot on the area. Areas such as the Stormcoast and the Emerald Graves look great. And the colours seem a lot more subdued there. :)

Damn this looks great, downside being I cannot play till 25th December. I have decided to not open it due to WoD, will make for a great Xmas alongside GTA 5 on ps4 and SSB Wiiu. Holiday gaming bliss.

fuzzyset

Your 560ti will llikely do better than a PS4. OPn BF4 with an i5 it does over 50 FPS on high.

So you will have the option of 60 FPS with a mix of medium and high. Where as on PS4 you're stuck with 30 FPS and a similar mixture of medium and high, except that you won't have any say on what that mixture is.

That's good to know. I have a 560ti as well, but much older processor. I nearly ran out to Frys after seeing those pics.

Thrax

Banned
Looks alright. Not really nothing we haven't seen a million times before in MMOs and other Fantasy games. Big jump up from the other two Dragon Ages for sure. Lighting model is Physically Based Rendering right? Still think the tree LODs look kinda terrible or are loading too early.

Question, when you're in the desert areas is there heat distortion off in the distance? The screenshots don't make it look that way.
I'd expect there to be heat distortion/atmospheric scattering in the distance as that's what you typically see (lived in Phoenix for years and have been in the desert many times), and plenty of other desert games have done it (Uncharted 3 comes to mind).

Dalto11

I never was a fan of Dragon Age, including it's aesthetics. But Inquisition looks pretty damn good, I might have to give the series another chance.

That desert area is gorgeous.

I don't know, it looks sort of bad. The colors are wrong, everything is made of rubber the interface doesn't look particularly good either, don't dig it in general. Then again I've had precisely zero interest in this game since its announcement.

Had to have had at least some interest to click the thread, friend. More still to post in it.

Complistic

It isn't a bad looking game, but it isn't something that drops the jaw. Not sure why some people act like it's gorgeous.

Tenrius

Right, so like oversaturated colours? I can see that in the above screenshots, but I think it depends a lot on the area. Areas such as the Stormcoast and the Emerald Graves look great. And the colours seem a lot more subdued there. :)

I'm not sure it's about saturation, it's more about the general look of it. I'm not really sure how to describe what's wrong, because I don't not all that much about visual design, but I'm not really liking what I see.

I'm pretty picky about this stuff though and I think that the colors are pretty bad in Skyrim (seeing it being mentioned by shinobi above) and plenty of other games, movies and TV series (for example, I stopped watching The Walking Dead on S01E02 partly because of that). The examples of what I did really enjoy color-wise would include Super Mario Galaxy, the Halo games, L.A. Noire, The Vanishing of Ethan Carter, as well as Twin Peaks, Children of Men, The Grand Budapest Hotel, Boardwalk Empire, Battlestar Galactica off the top of my head. I'm not sure what exactly determines this, probably there's something you could describe and put on paper, but I'm not really familiar with that.

Had to have had at least some interest to click the thread, friend. More still to post in it.

Well, I saw some screenshots on Dawg's twitter and got interested, didn't really see anything from this game before. And the desert is indeed nice.

DMiz

Looking forward to this game so much. It's the only thing left in the year that I'm really anticipating, and with Skyrim finally giving up the ghost and me being unable (due to time and technical know-how) to fix it, I'm really jonesing to get back into a PC RPG...

It's halfway between Origins and DA2 in terms of aesthetic...and it's perfect.

As others have already pointed out...those character portraits are gorgeous. I'm pretty torn on what class to play. I always play a mage..but no matter what you pick, there's seemingly a really cool companion for that role.

Antialias

the star wars game will be the first. but yeah this clearly isnt PBR. every single surface looks like its made from the same material. ill be surprised if performance isnt very similar to bf4.

PBR is a pipeline, not a 'look'. If I wanted I could create the exact same look as DA:I with a physically based lighting model. PBR just makes it easier for artists to get the result they are looking for.

Looks alright. Not really nothing we haven't seen a million times before in MMOs and other Fantasy games. Big jump up from the other two Dragon Ages for sure. Lighting model is Physically Based Rendering right? Still think the tree LODs look kinda terrible or are loading too early.

No, it doesn't use PBR. Frostbite is just moving to PBR now (http://www.frostbite.com/2014/11/moving-frostbite-to-pbr/).

I'm not sure how you could mistake it for PBR, since everything in this game looks like it's made out of marshmallows and bloom.

Ralemont

not me
Second time I've heard that! Unfortunately I've not played ME3 or the MP.

Any good? :)

ME3's MP was incredible. The best part was that microtransactions paid for all the MP DLC to be free, but they perfectly balanced the progression so that you never felt like you needed to use microtransactions. They've said they'll support DA: I's MP for even longer than they did ME3 so I have high hopes for it.

Top Bottom