• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New DualShock 4 colors (transparent omg)

Arttemis

Very nice looking!

But isn't steel black almost the same color as the MGSV limited edition controller?

I don't quite think so.

metal_gear_solid_5_le_ps4-2.jpg

vs
dualshock4colors64p0t.png

It doesn't seem as dark. Pretty close, though. I think I'll pick one up.

I think they should improve the build quality and battery of the controller before pumping out new colors and stuff. I got a 20th anniversary controller the other day and the first thing I had to do was put grips on the sticks because they're slippery and peel too easily. That shouldn't be a thing.

They do look good though.

Bolivar687

Banned
Sony is on fire with the custom controller colors.

Love the crystal one, it's almost as much of a throwback as the anniversary controller.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
When can we expect the inevitable thread asking if Sony has taken custom controller colors to far?

Santar

I think they should improve the build quality and battery of the controller before pumping out new colors and stuff. I got a 20th anniversary controller the other day and the first thing I had to do was put grips on the sticks because they're slippery and peel too easily. That shouldn't be a thing.

Absolutely!
One would think that the build quality problem on the controller would be a distant memory almost 2 years into the consoles lifecycle but alas...

ShogunX

Any news on the build quality being improved? As good as these new colours look I'm wary of shelling out if the current problems still exist.

texore

It already started peeling after one day?

Oppo

Crystal! Oh man, this is so 90's hardware stylings. I wonder how the led lights will look on this one though.

seriously

I wonder how many of the OMG TRANSPARENT GIMME posts are people who really want to turn the LED off. this clear shell will only amplify the effect.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I've got a Metallic Grey PS3 controller that I absolutely love the hell out of, if that Steel Black is the same finish that thing is gonna be hot fiya. The Gold looks really damn nice too with the black complementing it.

Missed opportunity on the Silver, it would look a lot better against a black backing.

Crystal's... naw son. I'm rather biased against transparent electronics, though I actually think a DS4 could be kind of cool if it went either entirely transparent or had a transparent back panel. The sensor light would probably make the whole outer rim have a glow to it, which could be a pretty cool effect, especially with some games' dynamic sensor light changing.

seriously

I wonder how many of the OMG TRANSPARENT GIMME posts are people who really want to turn the LED off. this clear shell will only amplify the effect.
No it won't. The light doesn't touch the front panel and it doesn't shine backwards into the innards of the controller. Too bad, as a bit of glow showing would go far to redeem the transparency. There's lots of games that use the sensor light to indicate health or various things (reflecting your team color in Rocket League is a cool one), but you never even see the dang thing unless you play where it's reflected in your TV, and that certainly isn't ideal.

Theonik

Crystal controllers reminds me of the PS1 days. If the back wasn't white I'd get it 100% looks pretty lame like that though.

Of course not, I did it to prevent the inevitability. :p

I thought only the launch/launch window controllers were the ones that had the issue. I'm sure it'd still be an issue with future controllers since it is rubber, but it should last longer, atleast that's what I've heard.

JP

Quite like the Steel Black one, I think it looks better than the MGS version. Already have a 20th anniversary edition and a glacier white version so won't need a new controller for a while.

I thought only the launch/launch window controllers were the ones that had the issue. I'm sure it'd still be an issue with future controllers since it is rubber, but it should last longer, atleast that's what I've heard.

It was one of the blue ones, got it back in March. I Platinum'd Bloodborne with it, so maybe that's what happened lol.

Danneee

Finally I'll be able to see the controller led without looking at the reflection in the TV or when I play with the lights off.
If it doesn't get a EU release I'll just import one.

JP

They talked about the "new wireless round headset" in the show and showed a picture of what looked to be just be the standard official PS4 headset. Has the official PS4 headset not been available in Japan before rather than this being a hardware revision?

It's a bit strange that it's branded differently in each region with SCEJ going for the Wireless Round Headset, SCEA going for the Gold Wireless Stereo Headset and SCEE getting the Wireless Stereo Headset 2.0. Not that it's important, just a bit strange.

The UK version came in a fairly plain box with all the branding on a separate overlay that the box slipped into.

Top Bottom