• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New E3 NOT in LA, will be in Santa Monica

Gigglepoo

That sounds pretty cool. I may not be able to go anymore, but I'm glad there is still going to be a major gaming event, in America, every year. Looking forward to seeing how this first E3 is different from others in the past.

Gigglepoo

I'm bored of semantics. It used to be in downtown LA, now it's in Santa Monica. We know LA County is friggin' huge. Can we move on?

Maya

Woohoo! I live in Santa Monica! I used to hate having to drive down to the Staples Center, battle rush hour traffic, pay $20 for parking, then eat crappy convention food for lunch.

Now I'll surf in the morning, play next year's games, then eat somewhere good for lunch!

santa-monica-third-street-promenade-night.jpg

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Well that's pretty dope. I hate Downtown LA if only because of the copious amount of bums sleeping everywhere.

I mean seriously...

Is this good news?

Barker Hanger, at least judging by the photos, there's no A/C. Is it still happening in July? The mean temperature last July was 72F/22C -- that's not too hot but then plunk a bunch of heat-generating "industry professionals" and electronic equipment in there too... they'd better supply water at the door because this will be one hot event.

I do like the idea of smaller meeting spaces though -- places where Q&As can actually be heard.

Jeff-DSA

Meh, I don't like it.

Getting into Santa Monica from LAX is worse than to downtown LA. It's also about $15 more for the taxi ride.

jamesb23

Yeah I know for doing my job, the quieter areas will be much appreciated, more like GDC. In past E3s even in the so called meeting rooms, it was loud as hell and interviews had a lot of background noise. I'm looking fw to seeing how this pans out.

Maya

OmniAvenger said:
Is this good news?

Barker Hanger, at least judging by the photos, there's no A/C. Is it still happening in July? The mean temperature last July was 72F/22C -- that's not too hot but then plunk a bunch of heat-generating "industry professionals" and electronic equipment in there too... they'd better supply water at the door because this will be one hot event.

I do like the idea of smaller meeting spaces though -- places where Q&As can actually be heard.

It looks fine.

http://www.barkerhangar.com/

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Great for journalists, potentially bad for rubbernecker devs who go to E3 to check out other people's games, absolutely terrible for the GAF E3 punch-up meetings.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
what i'm mostly wondering about is how they decide who to invite and if its just mainly going to be the big media outlets getting in rather than the smaller sites :p

Abbbie

Yeah I'm not really psyched for that at all. I hate Santa Monica.
I guess having it in HW would be kind of a nightmare though.
I would've stuck with downtown

AlphaSnake said:
Well that's pretty dope. I hate Downtown LA if only because of the copious amount of bums sleeping everywhere.

I mean seriously...

Oh man are you going to love Santa Monica then. Not a bum in sight!

Jeff-DSA

Maya said:

I just flew down to attend the Activision event LAST WEEK. Flat rate fare from LAX to Santa Monica is $35. From LAX to the convention center it is $20. With the traffic it took about an hour to get to Activision from LAX.

Yes, it's true. 100% true even.

Jeff-DSA said:
I just flew down to attend the Activision event LAST WEEK. Flat rate fare from LAX to Santa Monica is $35. From LAX to the convention center it is $20. With the traffic it took about an hour to get to Activision from LAX.

I believe it. I used to live right by LAX, and work in Santa Monica. 13 mile commute = 45 minutes+

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
platypotamus said:
Oh man are you going to love Santa Monica then. Not a bum in sight!

Wtf...tell me there's at least less of them lying around the floor though. Not only that, but Downtown LA just looks like shit. As if 10 different 3rd world countries threw up all over it. Can you guys tell I hate Downtown LA?

Abbbie

seriously. its off the 405. THE 405. anyone who is going to say that it's not trafficky getting there from LAX is an idiot end of discussion.
Also, taking the 10 there from the east side of town (which I learned the hard way never to do) during rush hour is horrible, absolutely horrible.

Jeff-DSA

Abbbie said:
seriously. its off the 405. THE 405. anyone who is going to say that it's not trafficky getting there from LAX is an idiot end of discussion.
Also, taking the 10 there from the east side of town (which I learned the hard way never to do) during rush hour is horrible, absolutely horrible.

Maybe E3 will run a rickshaw business to shuttle people back and forth. :lol

It's gotta be faster than a taxi in that traffic...

Abbbie

I think my plan is to sleep in my office. its far closer to SM than my home ( whereas downtown had me door to door at E3 in 10.

AlphaSnake said:
Wtf...tell me there's at least less of them lying around the floor though. Not only that, but Downtown LA just looks like shit. As if 10 different 3rd world countries threw up all over it. Can you guys tell I hate Downtown LA?

Sorry dude. Santa Monica is definitely prettier, more happening, etc etc than downtown LA, but it out-bums downtown anytime.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Monica

Wikipedia said:
Santa Monica is sometimes called the "Homeless Capital of the West".

Edit: Alright, they're second behind downtown, but they are certainly more centralized around the 3rd street area on than they are near the Staples Center.

Jeff-DSA said:
Getting into Santa Monica from LAX is worse than to downtown LA. It's also about $15 more for the taxi ride.
Just go North on Sepulveda/Lincoln Blvd. from LAX and you'll be in Santa Monica in just a few miles. You'll even pass by EA's SoCal campus next door to Loyola Maramount University on the way there.

Maya

Jeff-DSA said:

Hmmm. It sounds like you know what you are talking about, and not just talking out of your ass... but I still can't see this wouldn't be cheaper than this. It's 10 miles shorter, and in LA terms that's hours! :lol

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Jeff-DSA said:
Meh, I don't like it.

Take the Big Blue Bus #3, it'll go down to Santa Monica.
The fare is 75 cents (a dollar for a transfer), cheap.
I don't why anyone wants to take a taxi, take the bus, jeez..

GamePnoy74 said:
Just go North on Sepulveda/Lincoln Blvd. from LAX and you'll be in Santa Monica in just a few miles. You'll even pass by EA's SoCal campus next door to Loyola Maramount University on the way there.

It still takes 45 minutes minimum during rush hour (and centinela was always faster than lincoln, though that also took ages).

Flynn

Sawtelle is going to be the place to run into game journos at the next E3.

Who's up for a ramen date and a trip to Giant Robot?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
GamePnoy74 said:

Yes. This is the way you do it. Anyone taking the 405 from LAX to Santa Monica is an idiot. LAX to SM is infinitely shorter than LAX to downtown if you know how to get there properly.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
I live and work in Santa Monica. It's much nicer here than downtown. There are a high number of bums in Santa Monica, but they're mostly concentrated near 3rd street and the beach area. The Barker Hangar is going to be bum-free and nice. My only concern is parking... don't think this area can hold as many cars as the LA Convention Center...

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Abbbie said:
Ugh, a part of town i hate to drive to more.
Santa Monica may just as well be LA though.

Deal with it ;-)

You'll have to drive there to give me back my Trauma Center as it's where I'm moving when I get back. har har!

I read Santa Monica and instantly thought of the movie Speed. Don't ask me why. I skimmed through the article I didn't see anything on how restrictive they are going to be on who gets to go. Hope they give smaller established sites a chance.

NG_Kris

This is cool news... very excited to see how this works out.

Of course, that's assuming I'm invited.

And you know what they say about "assume"... it makes an "ass" out of "u" and "me".

WTF is going on. It's Friday. I'm gonna have a beer.

Top Bottom