• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM and GFW scores and such

Darji

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
Have you read the actual content of the review that you have already deemed unacceptable? Or are you admitting right now that you literally put more stock in the number that comes at the end?
No i didnt and mostly will not read a 1Up review because there are often no real Reviews just a bunch of text. . Take the Gears one for example.

But I know who is developing it and what i can expect a AAA title. Its the same as people expect a 10 for a new Halo game.

traveler

Not Wario
Gigglepoo said:
Nick gave Ratchet a 9.5. That's the same score he gave The Orange Box. So... what's your point again?

You don't get it, do you? ALL the reviewers need to have that opinion.

Darji

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Nick gave Ratchet a 9.5. That's the same score he gave The Orange Box. So... what's your point again?
I am talking about the 1UP score (8.5) not the whole EGM scores.

egmfan89

Darji said:
No i didnt and mostly will not read a 1Up review because there are often no real Reviews just a bunch of text. . Take the Gears one for example.

But I know who is developing it and what i can expect a AAA title. Its the same as people expect a 10 for a new Halo game.

Yeah, I hate when the words outnumber the number score. Maybe they should write 10 across the page a few times and then have a few run-on sentences about cheese or something. That's what reviews are for.

Darji

Banned
Narag said:
Does 1up even show up on gamerankings as its own entity or is it part of the listed EGM score?
They do.

Because it's convenient for your argument? You can't call EGM bias and then ignore the 9.5 one reviewer gave Ratchet.
I never called EGM bias i calling 1UP bias.

Darji said:

You know, I was going to just post the entire thing but you should just go ahead and read it again.

If ever there was a review that embodied the idea of putting more stock in a review's text over it's arbitrary score, it is this one.

Are people seriously arguing with Darji still?

Since 3pm.. 8 HOURS AGO he's been arguing about the Ratchet 8.5 score.

Even though - he hasn't read the text review and he hasn't played the game.

Oh fuck this. I'm going to bed.

On behalf of the serious posters on GAF, let me apologize to the serious reviewers out there [you know who you are] who take the time to write real text for your reviewers. Next time we should post entire text of reviews instead of scores; it would keep out the short attention span rabble.

Darji

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
You realize they have the same writers, right? If one is biased, the other is biased as well.
As far as I know 1UP is just a part of EGM and the 1UP network or?

And when these are completly the same writers why not give the average score from these three instead of only 1?

Darji

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
Who would write the review?
how about post all of them (1UP Reviews are short so it shouldnt make much of a difference) and then compare these and in the end give the game the average score from these Reviews.

Is that so difficult to do?^^

Darji said:
As far as I know 1UP is just a part of EGM and the 1UP network or?

And when these are completly the same writers why not give the average score from these three instead of only 1?

There is a lead review and two back up reviews. Try to imagine the "1up Review" as just a reprinting of EGM's lead review. As it always, IIRC, is.

In other words, your beef is with EGM.

rally1.jpg

This is more respectable than half of the fools in this thread.

Narag

Gigglepoo said:
You realize they have the same writers, right? If one is biased, the other is biased as well.

So does the 1up review get counted twice on gamerankings?
Once on its own and once as part of the EGM average?

Gigglepoo

Darji said:
how about post all of them (1UP Reviews are short so it shouldnt make much of a difference) and then compare these and in the end give the game the average score from these Reviews.

Is that so difficult to do?^^

Instead of that, they have one reviewer flesh out their impressions to give a more complete view of the game. Since everyone is asked to review so many games at EGM/1up, it isn't realistic for everyone to expand on their review. Instead of having three short reviews, they have one long one.

I don't see why this is still going. Darji exists solely to pad out my ignorelist.

Ten-Song said:
What I love about all this? PS3 games in the mag get good scores, and people are still crying foul.

The only way to appease them I believe is by handing out a series of 10s to every PS3 exclusive and all of the PS3 versions of multi-platform games must get an automatic +2 points regardless of whether they're better than the 360 version or not.

After that maybe some ice cream and a blowjob.

Darji

Banned
BenjaminBirdie said:
There is a lead review and two back up reviews. Try to imagine the "1up Review" as just a reprinting of EGM's lead review. As it always, IIRC, is.

In other words, your beef is with EGM.
then whats the problem to let the people do the reviews who are actually love this genre instead of the ones who dont even understand the games they are going to review. (hint at NWN2)

Ashhong said:
I just want to see the text of the review...if he says the graphics are average or something THEN can we attack? :D

Oh man, could we really, all of us, pledge right now to focus all of our discussion on the CONTENT of reviews and not the score?

Can we do this?

Narag

Darji said:
then whats the problem to let the people do the reviews who are actually love this genre instead of the ones who dont even understand the games they are going to review. (hint at NWN2)
Not a jab at Play, but isn't that what they do?

Gigglepoo

Darji said:

Your horrible grasp of the English language combined with your faulty logic suggest to me that you simply cannot comprehend any argument presented to you. From this point forward, you are on my Ignore List. I hope you take this move as motivation to improve yourself rather than a reason to become even more ignorant.

traveler

Not Wario
Ashhong said:
I just want to see the text of the review...if he says the graphics are average or something THEN can we attack? :D

Go look at the EGM Live thread and listen to the podcast. They discuss it. (The graphics, like online multiplayer, are NOT the reason)

Darji said:
I never called EGM bias i calling 1UP bias.

you are doing the sony fanboys great justice right now!

Gigglepoo said:
Your horrible grasp of the English language combined with your faulty logic suggest to me that you simply cannot comprehend any argument presented to you. From this point forward, you are on my Ignore List. I hope you take this move as motivation to improve yourself rather than a reason to become even more ignorant.
holyshit

:lol :lol :lol

MC Safety

Narag said:
So does the 1up review get counted twice on gamerankings?
Once on its own and once as part of the EGM average?

Why are people concerned about gamerankings and metacritic?

For some inexplicable reason everyone thinks these sites have some validity. What they do is take a numerical average for reviews from publications with vastly different review scales.

Then, this number, which has absolutely zero significance, is paraded around by game fans who have absolutely zero stake in the success or failure of a particular game, but entirely too much of themselves invested in seeing a title get a certain average.

Darji said:

Who are actua -- I'm not --

Now you're just swimming upstream in a river of completely unmeasurable ambiguities. People who "love this genre"? What does that even mean? Are you saying that other reviewing agencies who you don't have beef with always pick the perfect reviewer for every game and are not bound by schedules and availability?

Darji

Banned
Ten-Song said:
What I love about all this? PS3 games in the mag get good scores, and people are still crying foul.
AS I said before its the same as Zelda gets a 8.8 at gamespot or Halo or Mario a 9 or Bioschock something under 9^^

Oh man, could we really, all of us, pledge right now to focus all of our discussion on the CONTENT of reviews and not the score?

Can we do this?
Sure we can but many people just see the score and will say "No Thanks" Scores for people who a browsing in forums like this here dont really care about reviews. But other(and many) people decide if they buy it or not from exact these scores. Even without reading it^^

BenjaminBirdie said:

Can we do this?

we could, but then magazine review threads wouldn't be allowed exist! What's next? NPD threads!?!?!! Think of the children!!

Narag

MC Safety said:
Why are people concerned about gamerankings and metacritic?

For some inexplicable reason everyone thinks these sites have some validity. What they do is take a numerical average for reviews from publications with vastly different review scales.

Then, this number, which has absolutely zero significance, is paraded around by game fans who have absolutely zero stake in the success or failure of a particular game, but entirely too much of themselves invested in seeing a title get a certain average.

I rarely check it but it was brought up multiple times in this thread by others who have an agenda and I was just curious. I think its neat but it just feeds the 8.8 mentality gaf will never shake.

Darji said:
Sure we can but many people just see the score and will say "No Thanks" Scores for people who a browsing in forums like this here dont really care about reviews. But other(and many) people decide if they buy it or not from exact these scores. Even without reading it^^

SouthPark"I'mOut".gif

Edit: German, huh. Well, now I feel bad.

Darji

Banned
Gigglepoo said:
sorry that my native language is not English but if you want, we can talk in German^^

Who are actua -- I'm not --

Now you're just swimming upstream in a river of completely unmeasurable ambiguities. People who "love this genre"? What does that even mean? Are you saying that other reviewing agencies who you don't have beef with always pick the perfect reviewer for every game and are not bound by schedules and availability?
People who have knowledge of this genre. like old parts, classic games etc. It doesnt help much if you let someone review an Adventuregame who mostly plays shooter or?^^

Darji, basically your saying that ps3 games get bad scores simply because its on the ps3. just walk away now before people actually figure out your shitty agenda.

traveler

Not Wario
Darji said:

Oh Man!:lol

If you're referring to Jeff's review of NW2, I dunno what you're on. He's a pretty big fan of PCRPGs from what I understand (as indicated by his review of the NW2 expansion- I guess you didn't check up on that? If I remember correctly, he called it "one of the best D&D type games in years" or something to that effect) and most of his complaints were directed at technical issues with the game, not the fundamental workings of the genre. Of course, to know that, you would actually have to read the review.

Edit: Ich heisse Will und ich kommt aus Georgia- did I get that right? (I'm a first year student, so I'm kinda sucky- your English is WAY better than my German :lol )

Darji

Banned
topsyturvy said:
Darji, basically your saying that ps3 games get bad scores simply because its on the ps3. just walk away now before people actually figure out your shitty agenda.
I am saying that I find it ood that exclusive PS3 games get mostly underrated scores yes.

Darji

Banned
traveler said:
Oh Man!:lol

If you're referring to Jeff's review of NW2, I dunno what you're on. He's a pretty big fan of PCRPGs from what I understand (as indicated by his review of the NW2 expansion- I guess you didn't check up on that?) and most of his complaints were directed at technical issues with the game, not the fundamental workings of the genre. Of course, to know that, you would actually have to read the review.

Edit: Ich heisse Will und ich kommt aus Georgia- did I get that right? (I'm a first year student, so I'm kinda sucky- your English is WAY better than my German :lol )

Hmm you almost got it right: Ich heiße Will und komme aus Georgia (if you mean the country its Georgien . You dont need to put the second Ich in this sentence^^

I read the NWN2 review not for the Addon. And still 6.0 ist just ridiculous. It was/is a game that comes close to a Baldurs Gate 2 experience. Much closer than other newer games.

Top Bottom