• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New EGM scores and Rumors.

SuperSonic1305 said:
Rumors:

1: 4 Guitar Hero sequels out in 2008 (Guitar Hero 4, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, and 2 others)
2: Microsoft canceled an XBLA release of Goldeneye 007 at the last minute
3: Sony teaming up with a major japanese publisher to remake old games for PSN
4: Unannounced Microsoft first party sequel in the works for Microsoft's next console
5: Persona 3: FES coming stateside, Next SMT title on PS3
6: Skateboarding game for Wii Balance Board in the works
7: Sin City game released in 2009

1: I think there will be a GH4 this year but with as much stuff as the are putting on XBLA and PSN, they dont need to waste time making artist or whatever specific versions.

2: I think it would come out on VC before XBLA

3: If that company is SE, that means instanst money for SE. However, SE like to remake games and charge full price for them. could be namco, capcom, or konami though

4: this one has to be false

5: hopefully true and I thought they already had announced the next SMT game was going to be on PS3?

6: believable but could care less

7: can see this happening if Sin City 2 comes out that year

ZeroTolerance

Geoff9920 said:
Wasn't Allan Wake supposed to be in this issue? WHERE'S THE INFO????

Not to come out sounding like a troll or to derail this thread but I would be amaze if that game comes out this year. Hopefully more information will be given at next months event.

RavenFox

Banned
3rdman said:
I can't tell if thats sarcasm or not. :/

The 360 is a very nicely designed system even if its not necessarily put together well. After the 360 I'd assume that they learned their billion dollar lesson in the durability department.

Regardless, the next machine won't be out before 2010...My guess is won't even hear about it until then for a release in 2011. Why everyone assumes that they'll treat the 360 the same way they treated the Xbox is silly.
Is this your first taste of Microsoft products? Going by your post I guess it it.
:)

[Nintex]

I can see a new Xbox console at the end of 2009. By then the 360 will cost $199,99 at most. Perhaps MS has learned a trick or two from Sony and decides not to discontinue the Xbox 360 but offer it as a budget system(new casing) to compete with the Playstation 3. MS has the hardcore crowd locked, the type of gamer that bitches about resolution(600p omg!), anti-alising and the next Xbox will most likely support HDDVD. The hardcore gamers will be all over Gears of War 2, Forza 3, Dead Rising 2 while the Xbox 360 supporters can still count on some really great third party games(Resident Evil 5, Assasins Creed 2, Ninja Gaiden III, Guitar Hero). It would be a great move if they offered the Xbox 3.0 next to the Xbox360. By 2009 Crysis will be the norm, don't forget the new Intel/AMD chipsets that are on the way either.

The competition(Sony/Nintendo) won't/can't release a new system that fast and with the Xbox 360 and Wii covering the mainstream market there is nothing left for Sony.

[Nintex] said:
I can see a new Xbox console at the end of 2009. By then the 360 will cost $199,99 at most. Perhaps MS has learned a trick or two from Sony and decides not to discontinue the Xbox 360 but offer it as a budget system(new casing) to compete with the Playstation 3. MS has the hardcore crowd locked, the type of gamer that bitches about resolution(600p omg!), anti-alising and the next Xbox will most likely support HDDVD. The hardcore gamers will be all over Gears of War 2, Forza 3, Dead Rising 2 while the Xbox 360 supporters can still count on some really great third party games(Resident Evil 5, Assasins Creed 2, Ninja Gaiden III, Guitar Hero). It would be a great move if they offered the Xbox 3.0 next to the Xbox360. By 2009 Crysis will be the norm, don't forget the new Intel/AMD chipsets that are on the way either.

The competition(Sony/Nintendo) won't/can't release a new system that fast and with the Xbox 360 and Wii covering the mainstream market there is nothing left for Sony.

oh yeah ! i already see third party jumping the ship and abondonning their massive investments in the current systems. Believe !

Jirotrom

Riskbreaker23 said:
1: I think there will be a GH4 this year but with as much stuff as the are putting on XBLA and PSN, they dont need to waste time making artist or whatever specific versions.

2: I think it would come out on VC before XBLA

3: If that company is SE, that means instanst money for SE. However, SE like to remake games and charge full price for them. could be namco, capcom, or konami though

4: this one has to be false

5: hopefully true and I thought they already had announced the next SMT game was going to be on PS3?

6: believable but could care less

7: can see this happening if Sin City 2 comes out that year

this is the rumor that boggles me, I thought we just had news that Persona 4 would be released on ps2?

Alx

Be it planned or not, I guess many games Rare is currently working on will end up on the next MS console and not 360...

Looking on what's coming in Spring 08, I discovered that I'm more excited by all the Wii games than by the big PS3/360 productions. The bigger consoles have all the serious action games (racing, stealth, shooters, ...), but the Wii has the more crazy/funny ones. There's a sort of dreamcast vibe to it (in a good way :D), and I'm even happy to see remakes like samba de amigo or house of the dead.

Jirotrom said:
this is the rumor that boggles me, I thought we just had news that Persona 4 would be released on ps2?

By SMT I'm assuming they mean the main series, which I believe had been announced already anyways.

The SMT title is kinda just tacked on the Persona series.

Oh yea almost forgot. WOOOHOOOO HD SMT!

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jirotrom said:

It says SMT. Not Persona. They are two different things people. Shin Megami Tensei is the main series. Persona is a spin off of said series.

oneHeero

SuperSonic1305 said:
PS3:
Fall 08:
FFXIII - JP version amirite?
Socom: Confrontation - 1 yr push back..
Afrika - No info but out in Fall 08?
wat

Rumors:
4 Guitar Hero sequels out in 2008 (Guitar Hero 4, Guitar Hero Aerosmith, and 2 others)
Microsoft canceled an XBLA release of Goldeneye 007 at the last minute
Sony teaming up with a major japanese publisher to remake old games for PSNI like :D
Unannounced Microsoft first party sequel in the works for Microsoft's next console
wat

Jirotrom

Harvey Hedonist said:
By SMT I'm assuming they mean the main series, which I believe had been announced already anyways.

The SMT title is kinda just tacked on the Persona series.
thats true ***slaps self across the head*** when I read the rumor it was right next to persona 3 so it was the first thing that came to mind. To the other poster who thinks I don't know any better I own the other 2 persona games It was a reading mistake.

SuperSonic1305 said:
News/Info:

PS2 Nights Remake not being released stateside

Nooo

Miyamoto shot down a Retro developed Twisted Metal clone because it had guns on cars

wat? lol

Microsoft canceled an XBLA release of Goldeneye 007 at the last minute

NOOOOO

Sony teaming up with a major japanese publisher to remake old games for PSN

Interesting

Skateboarding game for Wii Balance Board in the works

Guaranteed gimmicky load of crap?

Harvey Birdman - 5.5, 7, 5

This doesn't really affect me because reviewers have constantly given Phoenix Wright games similar scores and I still loved them.

Jirotrom

Guybrush Threepwood said:
Guaranteed gimmicky load of crap?

This doesn't really affect me because reviewers have constantly given Phoenix Wright games similar scores and I still loved them.
I hear the skiing is the best part of Wii-fit, and those scores should be woorysome considering the EGM guys are big fans of the Phoenix wright games, though i'll try it out before giving final judgement.

SexConker

Banned
Nutter said:
That would make it the 4 year stunt.

WTF.. MS better not release another console before 2010.

What I want
-Announcement of another system coming GDC or E3 2008
-Show off a handfull of titles 2009
-Full on onslaught of games and stuff shown to public 2010
-Release Late 2010.

What will probably happen. :(
-Announcement of system 2008
-Full on onslaught of games and stuff shown to public 2009
-Release Late 2009

100% Correct.
I was going to post exactly this.
(4 year, not 5 year; WTF MS; What should happen; What will happen, :( )

Philthy

Barry Lightning said:
hmmm...360's looking a little limp in 08, imo

Not much has been announced really.... At E3 we got nothing at all, while everyone else was trumping 2008. I pointed this out and got shouted down that it made sense that they focused on 2007. Well, it's 2008 and I'm still waiting to see whats coming down. GTA will be fun, but nothing else mentioned really catches my attention.

I suppose this means I wont be so dang broke all the time unless the Wii starts coming out with a billion kickass games somehow.

It also makes sense for companies to start working on titles for their next systems. A strong starting lineup has proven to be a good way to sell some systems. 5 years is about what we're used to anyways, despite what the console makers really want to do.

ethelred

Thrilled to hear (again) about P3 Fes and Valkyrie of the Battlefield coming stateside, even though we basically knew about both. Also, nice scores for Culdcept -- I'm pretty interested inchecking this one out more despite not being a huge card fan.

Harvey Birdman is going to suck. Harvey Birdman was always going to suck. Don't be fooled by Ondore's High Voltage's lies.

Jirotrom said:
play SSX 3 upsampled on a 360 and you will see what I mean... game looks f'n awesome upsampled. This goes for a lot of XBOX games upsampled through the 360. And the system does lend itself to that much detail, Soul Calibur 2 level graphics are possible, RE4 graphics are possible Super Mario Galaxy level of graphics are possible. WE already know it was Nintendo's plan to release a DVD capable wii, doesn't a DVD capable machine require digital out... or am I mistaken?

But is it really worth a (probably not cheap) add on just to play a couple games in HD? Most of the rest of them aren't even going to be worth seeing in that much detail.

Jirotrom

ethelred said:
Thrilled to hear (again) about P3 Fes and Valkyrie of the Battlefield coming stateside, even though we basically knew about both. Also, nice scores for Culdcept -- I'm pretty interested inchecking this one out more despite not being a huge card fan.
did you play the previous culdcept game?

Edag Plata said:
But is it really worth a (probably not cheap) add on just to play a couple games in HD? Most of the rest of them aren't even going to be worth seeing in that much detail.
the modification would be something akin to the DSlight or psp slim...I don't see it as a bad thing. It's a plus for people with LCD TV's and not really a big negative for earlier adopters.

Also i stated end of 2009, 3years into the Wii's life.

Bunch of drama queens in this thread.

Everyone knows that Sony and MS started work on their successor consoles a long time ago, just as Sony started work on the PS2 when the PS1 was released. It's only natural that part of that plan is to start pre-production on software, also. You need developers to work with you as you build the hardware, also. It doesn't mean that a new 360 is imminent, right now that makes ZERO financial sense - for MS, developers or publishers.

The tinfoil hat brigade is really annoying on this site.

Nutter said:
That would make it the 4 year stunt.

WTF.. MS better not release another console before 2010.

What I want
-Announcement of another system coming GDC or E3 2008
-Show off a handfull of titles 2009
-Full on onslaught of games and stuff shown to public 2010
-Release Late 2010.

What will probably happen. :(
-Announcement of system 2008
-Full on onslaught of games and stuff shown to public 2009
-Release Late 2009

Oh man, if Microsoft gets in the habit of ending console gens after 4 years I will hate them forever.

This gen has been crappy already, and MS wants to end it basically before it has even begun (which is MS's fault to begin with)?

Nothing good can come from that.

stotch

Banned
it takes 1.5 years of pre production and 2-3 years of development to make a big game.
the 360 should be fine until 2011.

Philthy

Guybrush Threepwood said:
This gen has been crappy already, and MS wants to end it basically before it has even begun (which is MS's fault to begin with)?

What are you talking about? We've seen a crap ton of near perfect score titles selling millions upon millions. Crappy? What? The 360 has been out for a while already, it's not like it was just released or anything.

you guys are dense. They say an xbox3 game is in the works. Who knows wtf that means. Games usually take upwards of 2 years to make. This thing could barely be in the planning stages, meaning it might be for a 2010 release. Stop crying and acting like MS is planning to discontinue the 360 this fall or something.

If a new console is announced, I think the lesson learned from this generation is to NOT RUSH. Give developers time to get used to it, give themselves time to get enough supply and games on launch day, give engineers time to properly test the final hardware, etc.

Announcing something in '08? Fine. Sure. But keep it in the oven until late '10, at the earliest.

FFChris

Wow this thread is almost as bad as the DMC4 one. :lol

Anyway, still no Alan Wake info, where the fuck is the OP?

Jirotrom

Philthy said:
What are you talking about? We've seen a crap ton of near perfect score titles selling millions upon millions. Crappy? What? The 360 has been out for a while already, it's not like it was just released or anything.
standards have been lowered...I think as a whole this gen has been off to a real rough start. For my tastes personally.

Proelite

stotch said:
it takes 1.5 years of pre production and 2-3 years of development to make a big game.
the 360 should be fine until 2011.

Ding ding ding. Anyone who thinks they can finish a first party big next-gen game in less than 2 years is nothing short of a retard.

Philthy

_leech_ said:
Announcing something in '08? Fine. Sure. But keep it in the oven until late '10, at the earliest.

Uh, considering it takes a few years to make a really decent game, this is exactly what they're doing with it. I don't know how someone can infer something other than that unless they're being a total spaz about it.

Jirotrom said:
standards have been lowered...I think as a whole this gen has been off to a real rough start. For my tastes personally.

I disagree with the standards being lowered. Overall I think everything has been risen pretty dang high. It's taking so much effort to one-up everything as it is. I think the software sales numbers speak for themselves, this generation has been pretty amazing so far.

Ninja Scooter said:
you guys are dense. They say an xbox3 game is in the works. Who knows wtf that means. Games usually take upwards of 2 years to make. This thing could barely be in the planning stages, meaning it might be for a 2010 release. Stop crying and acting like MS is planning to discontinue the 360 this fall or something.

I think part of the the problem here is that with MS having pruned itself of first party studios, some might be worried that one of the precious few studios it still has is locked up developing for a system that is not Xbox 360. Of course, one should probably take into account that studios might have several teams working on multiple games at once, and maybe it's not even handled by a first party studio.

But then of course there is the matter of history; Microsoft dropped the Xbox like a bad habit once its 360 business was picking up steam, so I don't think people worrying about a similarly short life for the 360 are all that unreasonable.

kswiston

Look at Sega for an example of what happens when you try to release too many systems (or upgrades) in too short a period of time. Sure the hardcores would eat up a new xbox in 2009, but it would piss off a lot of casual gamers who are just starting to get into next gen gaming now.

The 360 is improving on the momentum set by the original xbox last year, but I think people are getting ahead of themselves. At best, the 360 has a userbase of what what? 15 million LTD worldwide at this point? Let's say that they increase that by another 10 million this year. That roughly puts the 360 at the lifetime total of the original xbox by the end of December 2008. If people know another Xbox is coming at the end of 2009, what do you think is going to happen to 360 sales beyond 2008?

Releasing a new console in 2009 is a good way for Microsoft to kill the momentum that they just started to build up in the past year, and ensure that their console's lifetime sales are capped at 35 million or so. An improvement over the original xbox to be sure, but not exactly a number to brag about.

EDIT: In case it's not clear, I don't think Microsoft plans on doing this. I expect the next gen to start in 2011. 2010 at the very earliest.

AltogetherAndrews said:
But then of course there is the matter of history; Microsoft dropped the Xbox like a bad habit once its 360 business was picking up steam, so I don't think people worrying about a similarly short life for the 360 are all that unreasonable.

I think they are, considering the reason Microsoft dropped the Xbox and moved onto the 360 early was because they were being destroyed by Sony last gen. Now they are sitting pretty, outselling Sony and have an insane software attach rate. There is simply no reason for them to make a new console in the immediate future (we're also ignoring the fact that the shareholders simply would not allow it.)

Y2Kev said:
I'm not joking. Sure, their QA is shit and that's a big problem...but consider how the machine is a year older than its same-class competitor and look at how it performs.

about what you would expect an no more...the ps3 was delayed because of blue ray...the tech is the same age nothing more...

seriously, what did people expect from next gen...besides a couple of games stuff is as expected... considering how many 360s have broken it probably should have been released at least 6 months later anyway

Domino Theory said:
Soo, you gonna post the Alan Wake, GTA IV, and Fable 2 preview or what??

There is no new info for any of those games. The only thing remotely new is Tomb Raider Underworld screens and a Fallout 3 screen

Top Bottom