• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Etrian Odyssey Game Confirmed in Development, Last with a Bottom Screen Map/3DS

http://personacentral.com/new-etrian-odyssey-game-confirmed-development-last-bottom-screen-map-3ds/

Komori sees more and more opinions from series fans on social media.

In response to the above, he states:

'In order to meet the expectations of these fans, I would like to deliver a “festival”-like game that can be said to be another culmination [of the series]. That’s the feeling I have, and I am currently developing a new game.'

Alongside Komori’s comment of a new game in development, he states:

'This is the last game in the series that will have a map to be drawn on the bottom screen on the Nintendo 3DS. For specifics, I hope that you can wait until the day when we can officially announce it.'

Declare me a dead platform if old.

B_Signal

Unless it's getting a very quick translation, I can't see this making it to the west. Who knows though, the 3ds seems to be living forever

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
So the MH Generations/XX of the series ?
Damn...end of an era *tears*

I will get EOV - dont know if ill need another 3DS title after that though. Seems like the series will make the Switch/PS4 jump after this final 3DS game. I would assume a UE4 title ala SMT Next is likely.

vareon

I'm going to miss marking walls and FOES on the tiny lower screen. Bless you, Etrian Odyssey series.

spiritfox

I can't see this not being EO3U.

They'll need time to figure out the future of the franchise, so having another remake allows them some time to experiment with the other platforms.

Etrian Odyssey 6? Or will this finally be Etrian Odyssey 3 Untold. Either one would be a 'festival' game and fitting end to the dual-screened series.

@MUWANdo

Banned
That's in addition to Persona Q2, right?

I'm not really confident about the chances of each and every upcoming Etrian game getting localised.

duckroll

Dear Komori,

Don't let them in, don't let them see
Be the good girl you always have to be
Conceal, don't feel, don't let them know
Well, now they know!

Love, duckroll.

Blobbers

probably just position the map in a corner and let it auto-fill like in strange journey. Lose some of the fanbase, but it's still kind of a unique style of game and an outrageously improved presentation means you gain new fans

or make the handheld mode still have an old-style map that goes 85% transparent when you're not interacting with it

RRockman

Banned
Is opening up a map screen to draw on that big of a deal breaker? I'm playing EO1 right now and loving it but I really don't think a single button press would ruin things. Especially on switch where you'd be able to still mark on the map in the same way in handheld mode.

True Fire

Is opening up a map screen to draw on that big of a deal breaker? I'm playing EO1 right now and loving it but I really don't think a single button press would ruin things. Especially on switch where you'd be able to still mark on the map in the same way in handheld mode.

I don't think it is. The only tricky part is that you'll have to play in handheld mode.
Or they can just get rid of map drawing.

Eolz

Didn't expect one after EOV (not counting PQ2), interesting.
Doubt we'll get this one localized this time around :/

tuffy

Though Untold 2 wasn't a big seller, it would be unfortunate to leave Untold 3 out. Still, it's getting very late for new 3DS games.

But what they're going to do about mapping going forward isn't obvious, so who knows where the series will go after this.

redcrayon

'This is the last game in the series that will have a map to be drawn on the bottom screen on the Nintendo 3DS.

The best part of that for me is the hint that the series will continue on after the last 3DS game, otherwise he would have just said it's the final EO game.

entremet

Many Etrian fans consider 3 one of the bests, right?

I haven't played it and would love an Untold version as it is hard going back to the DS games with the new QoL enhancements.

Pressing select to see a map won't kill you. Games did it long before the DS came out.

Pressing the map button every 5 steps to update it is shit, or whenever I wanted to check it would make the game worse to the point I don't want to play it for me. Your post history makes it clear you don't like handhelds anyway, so we are at the polar opposite of the spectrum on that...

The loss of dual screened handhelds is going to ruin a lot of RPG series for me, and there isn't a single rpg game I wouldn't have rather played on a DS or 3DS.

redcrayon

Many Etrian fans consider 3 one of the bests, right?

I haven't played it and would love an Untold version as it is hard going back to the DS games with the new QoL enhancements.
Yeah, EOIII is great, so many options for party setups with subclasses and multiple endings. The boat exploration is simpler than EOIV's balloon, but still a lovely change of pace from the dungeon crawls.

kromeo

I'd still play an Etrian game without map drawing, I like Experience's games enough but it would definitely lose something

Minsc

Gold Member
While it's a big loss in some regards for sure, let's not act like Lands of Lore isn't one of the best dungeon crawlers ever made, and that had no dual screen map implementation, so I'll live.

spiritfox

We still don't have Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 confirmed for the west. Which really bums me out, I loved the first one.

The game just came out in Japan, plus EOV took forever to get announced, and is in the middle of the marketing cycle right now. I think they won't miss it, unless the previous game sold so poorly that it's not worth it.

The game just came out in Japan, plus EOV took forever to get announced, and is in the middle of the marketing cycle right now. I think they won't miss it, unless the previous game sold so poorly that it's not worth it.
You are right, there is still hope...but I am worried it won't make it over here. It seems like the most likely game to be dropped.

tuffy

You are right, there is still hope...but I am worried it won't make it over here. It seems like the most likely game to be dropped.
All the Etrian Odyssey games have some over until now, so there really isn't any precedent for missing one. But I think it'd be wise for Atlus to localize EMD2 and this new title ASAP before the 3DS market dries up completely.

Nachos

All the Etrian Odyssey games have some over until now, so there really isn't any precedent for missing one. But I think it'd be wise for Atlus to localize EMD2 and this new title ASAP before the 3DS market dries up completely.
There also wasn't much precedent for Atlus missing a Persona game for a while post-Persona 3, yet we never got Eternal Punishment.

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Can't wait for FOEs to get neutered and/or become an exercise in frustration. /s

I wonder how many people who say that EO can work single-screen without significant compromise have actually played the games more than a few hours?

Yep, gonna hope this final 3DS installment = III Untold, not that I'm hesitant to play it on DS. Cramming all the series classes into such a game wouldn't work from a pragmatic balancing POV, but I can see a new Untold having tons of callbacks, returning characters within the Untold canon, and iteration on III's unique aspects (so hopefully map designs are still crazy). More arranged music from Koshiro's always important too.

I'm not sure how EO VI could transition the series from simultaneous dual-screen mapping to a more passive, less articulate system on Switch, but I think Komori and the EO team will figure something out. Too much would go to waste if the series lived and died on the (3)DS platform. And I really enjoy this kind of mapping too, so they have a real challenge to deal with and will undoubtedly lose fans no matter what.

Puru

Just have the map on the side somewhere, shouldn't be hard with the switch screen size. You'll still see the FOE and shit just fine.
Tap it and it becomes slightly bigger so you can do your map drawings and tap again so it goes back to normal.

No idea how the switch touch precision is though.

spiritfox

Just have the map on the side somewhere, shouldn't be hard with the switch screen size. You'll still see the FOE and shit just fine.
Tap it and it becomes slightly bigger so you can do your map drawings and tap again so it goes back to normal.

No idea how the switch touch precision is though.

I think the bigger problem is the lack of touch in TV mode.

And on other consoles if Atlus decides to jump ship.

Rhyel

Etrian Odyssey III Untold + Extra Mode: Etrian Festival

Etrian Festival: Meet all previous Etrian Characters in a festival, play, get new quests and make friends, recieve gifts, if the friendship is high you can bring them to your team.

I can dream, right?

MegaMelon

I'm just glad to hear the series will continue past the 3ds on switch most likely. Between this and SMT Next I'm looking forward to seeing Atlus take both series and evolve them. Not too drastically I imagine but still a shake up.

Top Bottom