• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Etrian Odyssey Game Confirmed in Development, Last with a Bottom Screen Map/3DS

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Another unique thing it has going for it is "not having a heavy focus on sexualized women and girls" in the space of dungeon RPGs these days.

Usually just one or two loli/moe designs per game, and a heavy chested NPC or two. All of the armored classes look properly attired for all available portraits but each game also has their Dancer/Troubador type as well.

xevis

Banned
There were Drpg's before EO and there will be ones after it. All of us long time fans have been pressing a button for a map for decades. Yeah making a map was fun but it's not so important that the series should die just because there isn't a second screen. I'd rather the series live on.

Not so important? The map making was a central mechanic of old CRPGs. I played through Shining in the Darkness last year. It's impossible to traverse its mazes without resorting to a pen and paper. The games you describe, where you toggle a button to see the map, create the map for you. In that context toggling a button to momentarily re-orient yourself is no big deal. If you had to interact with the map as well, drawing walls, adding annotations etc, it would be super annoying.

That said, there's probably an EO game to be had where the map making is no big deal but that experience is likely rather different to the one the series currently offers.

Pepboy

Another unique thing it has going for it is "not having a heavy focus on sexualized women and girls" in the space of dungeon RPGs these days.

I guess that's somewhat true but I felt there was always one or two player character designs that were pretty bad on this front. Enough so that I would have been embarrassed to have them in my party in case someone asked me what I was playing. Actually I thought this also created some controversy at the time.

Does Grimrock / Darkest Dungeons have sexualized women?

Man God

Non-Canon Member
P0Qj9ZY.png

EO 1

EO 2

EO 4

I guess that's somewhat true but I felt there was always one or two player character designs that were pretty bad on this front. Enough so that I would have been embarrassed to have them in my party in case someone asked me what I was playing. Actually I thought this also created some controversy at the time.

Well there's a big difference between the sexualized characters in, say, Experience Inc. DRPGs and EO.
Other games have characters that are sexual specifically for titillation but EO's designs never feel like that. Dancers wear real outfits that dancers in different cultures would wear.

man, assuming they continue the series past the 3DS, it's going to be so strange having an Etrian Odyssey game with no dual screens.

RpgN

This definitely adds to the vibe the EO games give, this high quality and classy franchise that is focussed on (challenging) gameplay and awesome soundtrack. No nonsense fluff but all around strong focus.

It is very appreciated that this sexualised focus is omitted. It's the reason why I can't give Demon Gaze a try despite hearing great things about it.

There were Drpg's before EO and there will be ones after it. All of us long time fans have been pressing a button for a map for decades. Yeah making a map was fun but it's not so important that the series should die just because there isn't a second screen. I'd rather the series live on.

I wouldn't say it deserves to die but if it doesn't come up with a pretty brilliant alternative, that's probably what will inevitably happen once it moves off the 3DS

They don't, although Darkest Dungeons is a way different genre.

I think this is more in reference to dRPGs/crawlers specifically, with the vast majority of them being Vita games with a fairly big focus on the fanservice/ecchi stuff. Etrian has a very anime look to it but doesn't use it this way so that's pretty nice. Still some people hate the visual style.

mclem

'This is the last game in the series that will have a map to be drawn on the bottom screen on the Nintendo 3DS. For specifics, I hope that you can wait until the day when we can officially announce it.'

Reading between the lines, should we take this as them being confident that the series will live on beyond the 3DS?

JohannCK

Heads-up: The game's being announced on a live stream tomorrow at noon Japan time.

I think it's pretty much a given that it's going to be a remake of 3 but one thing I'd like to see is them dumping all the classes from 1-2 in as well.

Last edited:

staen

Heads-up: The game's being announced on a live stream tomorrow at noon Japan time.

I think it's pretty much a given that it's going to be a remake of 3 but one thing I'd like to see is them dumping all the classes from 1-2 in as well.

The new Etrian Odyssey title, which was first confirmed in September 2017, is said to be a “festival-like” culmination of the series. In December 2017, series director Shigeo Komori said that it will not be Etrian Odyssey 3 Untold, but rather a “true culmination” with a lot of map drawing and “completely unexpected content.”
Source

bufkus

Really!!? Atlus released Persona 4 on PS2 in 2008 when 360 and PS3 was already out.

not to mention, Persona 5 was basically a PS3 game and that came out last year.

also i really hope EO is moving to the Switch/PS4 after this final 3DS entry. I've never really cared about the map drawing feature, and with a bigger screen you can just have a minimap anyway.

Last edited:
Top Bottom