• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Fallout 3 Info from GI

syllogism

Fallout's combat was simplistic and pretty limited in strategical depth. Turn-based combat systems need give you more than one character to control, the more the better.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Draft said:
I've seen the scans myself, and I'm pretty bummed out. Combat's going to be Oblivion with paused aim shots, they've put in shit like a nuclear bomb slingshot, and apparently Super Mutants are not only alive and kicking, they've mutated EVEN FURTHER to become 20 foot tall CYBER MUTANTS. Oh and they've started arming themselves with clubs? I don't know what the ****
sisicaivrai.gif

Draft said:
You'll run backwards while shooting at stuff, waiting for your AP to regen, and when it does you'll pause, aim shot to the face or crotch, then start running backwards again. Yeaaaaaaaaaaaah.
WTF you're joking aren't you
petrus%20dei.gif

Borys

Banned
Tieno said:
I don't know shit about Fallout except for what people have told me in this thread and so far what I've heard and seen looks very promosing. I'm going to read that preview later.

That's the problem. Thousands of Xbox gamers who don't give a flying **** about some old, almost perfect PC RPG :(

Saw the scans and...

- gotta love the HUGE-ASS console font-size. NOT.

- Pip-Boy looks awesome.

- That super-mutant wielding hammer screen looks like shit. Typical c*ns*le shit.

- personal nuclear launcher? WTF IS THIS SHIT? Resident Evil 4? Painkiller?

Overall and I cannot stress this enough:

Seems like the Xbox doomed another PC franchise to... Oblivion (no pun intended).

Azih

I would also like to point out that this is the best way to quell raging Internet hoardes. A good preview.... Dyack.

Though Cyber Mutants? What the hell?

Everything in Fallout was human scaled with the Power Armour+mingun guys being the most terrifyingly powerful things in there. They're taking that away?

Tieno

Just read that preview and hot damn, I'm excited. The setting and world sounds very different from other RPGs out there.

Borys said:
That's the problem. Thousands of Xbox gamers who don't give a flying **** about some old, almost perfect PC RPG :(
Why am I a problem? I'm excited about this game.

Btw, This game is made for the PS3 too you know.

Masklinn

Just read the whole scans at NMA.

My conclusion: looks very (too?) good, has potential, should never has been named Fallout III, because it isn't. More like "Fallout FPS".

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
You're so fucking retarded.
Yet he's right.
Tieno said:
Why am I a problem? I'm excited about this game.
That's exacly why.

Borys

Banned
Not surprisingly most of the good aspects pointed out in that article are just the absence of many of Oblivion's bad aspects.

Oh well I'll shut up now, I can't change a single thing about that 'Oblivion with gunz' game raping my dreams.

Van Buren :(

Frenck

Banned
I love NMA, not even my overly sarcastic anti-PC gamer remarks come close to some of the stuff I've just seen on their boards. 10 pages of SHIT with some fair, quality posts that are ignored by the masses.

LOL ORC WITH TEH DVARVEN HAMMER CONSOLE KIDDY LOL

Well, the supermutants do look like Orcs in the original games and that thing isn't a hammer, it's some car part thats is used as a makeshift weapon.

NO MORE TRAITS??? BETHSHIT APPEALING TO HIPHOP CONSOLE KIDDIES LOL

I wonder how these guys could play through Fallout completely on their own if they can't even read and understand a GI article properly. The article mentions that traits are still in. The character creation is divided into subsections now, so you get to assign them later on, that's why they are not on the screenshot.

Seriously, these guys are complaining about the fact that the main character is wearing a BAGGY version of the Vault uniform instead of a skintight version, f*ck a doodle doo, I'll quit gaming now, thanks Bethesda for screwing up my live and making me name my kid Gaylord.

Some guy was complaining about the single line of dialogue that's shown in the article and how the font is too big. Fallout 1 and 2 had big, green scrolling text for christs sake because they were low-res games.

I'm gonna go and take a shower, I feel dirty for reading that crap.

Masklinn said:
That's exacly why.

Get the hell over yourself.

You really couldn't have been expecting Fallout 3 to be another isometric game, could you? I mean move on, seriously. I'd have more of a problem with Fallout 3 if they just put out an updated version of 2. And given what we know about Fallout 3 via the GI article it looks like they are fixing most everything that was wrong with Oblivion in Fallout.

The bitching here is way too early here Chicken Littles.

Leonsito

I'm a huge Fallout fan.

I'm member of the PC Defense Force.

And after reading the GI article I think that Bethesda is doing an awesome work with Fallout 3, they insist that is totally different of Oblivion in every term, and I'm happy they understand what Fallout world is like.

I'm the only one ? :lol

painey

no level scaling!!!! thank the good lord. I was sceptical.. but the screenshots look great. The one thing I am concerned about is the combat, it sounds strange.

Masklinn

Ok, for everyone who has never played or understood the original Fallout and doesn't understand why the old timers/fans are underwhelmed by the scans:

* It looks like a survival-horror à la RE, Fallout is not a survival horror
* Fallout had a retro-futuristic setting and realistic sizes. In a fairly far and apocalyptic future sure, but "nuclear slinghots" and 4m high Uruk-Hais/Orks (these are definitely not mutants) are not part of a "realistic apocalyptic setting", and even less part of Fallout's
* I don't see any of the fun, humor and stupid that pervaded the original serie, everything has the crude realism of a survival horror/FPS. Do not want.
* The pip-boy looks good (with all the shaders), but the interface as a whole looks like oblivion-level shit.
* I can't target the eyes or the gonads of my ennemy? Are you f*cking kidding?
* In the end, the combat system is not AP-based or turn-based. It's real-time + bullet-time, welcome to Max Payne: Nuka Cola edition.

This will probably yield a good game for consoles, an ok game for PC's, but definitely not a good fallout game.

0459c8c0.gif

Good night, Sweet Prince :/

Masklinn said:
Ok, for everyone who has never played or understood the original Fallout and doesn't understand why the old timers/fans are underwhelmed by the scans:

I've played and still own Fallout 1 & 2 and I don't understand what the problem is with some of you people. Maybe you should wait a little longer before hitting that panic button.

Masklinn

Frenck said:
Well, the supermutants do look like Orcs in the original games
Er what?

mutantsorcsyj1.jpg

says no.
You really couldn't have been expecting Fallout 3 to be another isometric game, could you?
Wanna bet?
I'd have more of a problem with Fallout 3 if they just put out an updated version of 2.
An updated what? Story? Engine? SPECIAL system?
And given what we know about Fallout 3 via the GI article it looks like they are fixing most everything that was wrong with Oblivion in Fallout.
Wow, I'm super duper happy, instead of a fallout I'll have a fixed oblivion with gun, that's great...

Redbeard

Banned
Masklinn said:

* Fallout had a retro-futuristic setting and realistic sizes. In a fairly far and apocalyptic future sure, but "nuclear slinghots" and 4m high Uruk-Hais/Orks (these are definitely not mutants) are not part of a "realistic apocalyptic setting", and even less part of Fallout's
* I don't see any of the fun, humor and stupid that pervaded the original serie, everything has the crude realism of a survival horror/FPS. Do not want.
* The pip-boy looks good (with all the shaders), but the interface as a whole looks like oblivion-level shit.
* In the end, the combat system is not AP-based or turn-based. It's real-time + bullet-time, welcome to Max Payne: Nuka Cola edition.

This will probably yield a good game for consoles, an ok game for PC's, but definitely not a good fallout game.

You don't see the humor and stupid in a "nuclear slingshot"?

Munin

Masklinn said:
* Fallout had a retro-futuristic setting and realistic sizes. In a fairly far and apocalyptic future sure, but "nuclear slinghots" and 4m high Uruk-Hais/Orks (these are definitely not mutants)
are not part of a "realistic apocalyptic setting", and even less part of Fallout's
Right, but giant scorpions were realistic. :lol

So just up there you complained about the game not being realistic, now it's too realistic? What the ****?

Right, because the TBS in Fallout was always the highest point of the game.

I'm guessing that if Black Isle had secretly completed Van Buren, then handed it over to Bethesda as a finished game, NMA monkeys like you would still hate it simply based on the existence of a Bethesda logo on the game's box.

syllogism

Masklinn said:

I'm a Fallout fan, mainly a PC gamer and been playing PC rpgs since 80s and I think you are as full of shit as as the average NMA poster. A typical Fallout screenshot wouldn't show the "fun, humor and the stupid" either.

Masklinn

MaddenNFL64 said:
So, what are they going for? Deus Ex with Kotor pause battles?
Bullet time.
Redbeard said:
You don't see the humor and stupid in a "nuclear slingshot"?
unless it blows out in your face every time you try to use it, no.

And even if it does, I still don't.

Frenck

Banned
@ Masklinn

That's Marcus, not your generic supermutant. And yes, he looks like an Orc in this close up of his face.

I think the FO3 supermutant looks too shiny and to bulky, but that's about it. The armor looks like it comes straight out of Fallout, the piece of wreckage he wields is again a bit to shiny but it's not a dvarven hammer as I said before. It makes sense.

I still have my doubts but I'm becoming more and more assured that Fallout 3, despite steering the franchise towards a different path from the Fallout 1/2 gameplay, will retain enough of the setting and atmosphere and will be a tremendously enjoyable game nonethheless.

Bethesda have in the past proven that they can build incredibly vast and immersive settings with fantastic gameplay (Daggerfall, I'm talking about you) and even improve on that (Morrowind, I'm talking about you). Yes they are prone to mistakes (Oblivion, I'm looking at you) but I will give them the benefit of doubt, especially when everything released so far looks top notch, including news and previews about the gameplay.

Huggy

Man, the battlesystem sounds great to me.

As far as I read it, the meat and potatoes are the VATS moves. And the quickest way to replenish the AP for these moves is to *not* use the realtime combat, as it will drastically cripple the regeneration rate.

Big mutants = strategic VATS play
Radscorpion = quick aim 'n shoot

I wonder what other VATS moves we can use other than precision aiming... quick reload? Free inventory access? Dashing for 2 seconds? Simultanious target hits?

I think they can pull it off as of now.

Regarding humour, that's where I hope Bethesda will surprise us. Their games level of writing has never been near Fallout level, aside from the background info you could read on books. But it's hard to see from these screens if this game will retain that old style.
Even the original Fallout can look dark and gritty what made it diferent was the writting.
Leonsito said:
I'm a huge Fallout fan.

I'm member of the PC Defense Force.

And after reading the GI article I think that Bethesda is doing an awesome work with Fallout 3, they insist that is totally different of Oblivion in every term, and I'm happy they understand what Fallout world is like.

I'm the only one ? :lol
Actually I'm with ya, so far what Bethesda shown has been pretty positive, if they can nail the writing and a good dialog tree system I'll be sold.
As for the VATS system I have no idea how it will work I'll wait and see.

Pedobear said:
I've never seen a truer post.

Anyway, this game sounds even better than Oblivion. Damn.

exactly, this already looks MUCH better to me.... the world is alot more stylised...I enjoy oblivion but the game feels bland quite alot of the time

Durante

Draft said:
I have a feeling this will be a popular sentiment. New fans a plenty, old fans crying bitter tears.

I've seen the scans myself, and I'm pretty bummed out. Combat's going to be Oblivion with paused aim shots, they've put in shit like a nuclear bomb slingshot, and apparently Super Mutants are not only alive and kicking, they've mutated EVEN FURTHER to become 20 foot tall CYBER MUTANTS. Oh and they've started arming themselves with clubs? I don't know what the ****.
I just saw the scans, and I have to agree.

It was all great until that supermutant shot. Seriously, an Orc with a ****ing MACE?

Drek

I've been real negative on the prospects of Fallout 3 for a while. Not because its Bethesda working on it, but because Van Buren was too damn far along to just get scrapped, when it would've given Fallout fans what they really wanted.

Elder Scrolls: Fallout is better than no Fallout, but that wasn't the only choice. We should've already had Fallout 3, Van Buren version, instead of BoS. Then Interplay goes down the shitter and sells the rights, not to much of the original talent who now have left for Obsidian and wanted the franchise back but instead to Bethesda, a company that has flourished because of the console sector buying its faux RPG games en masse.

This is what really pisses Fallout fans off, for those of you who don't get it. We should've had Fallout 3 four years ago. Then we had the chance to at least see it made by much of the same Black Isle talent, both times we got the shaft due to console sales superiority. You can't blame ardent Fallout fans for being bitter, especially when this very demo was clearly played on an X360. Its just a further reminder as to what will always take precedence despite PC gamers making these franchises what they are.

Anyways, despite that I'm still willing to give Fallout 3 a chance. The super mutie isn't horrible in and of itself, its a logical conclusion in a world with mutants, giant ants and scorpions, etc.. Its the way you deal with him. For starters, the entire concept of Fallout's mutants is that they aren't mindless beef weapons. They very often had the best guns because they were strong enough to take them. Second, the fatman is a horrible idea. The concept of scraping by and needing to piece mail your weapons goes out the window when even in an early demo, an hour outside the Vault, you have a handheld nuclear weapon. The only way it'd fit the Fallout sense of style is if the damn thing blew up in your face.

A more Fallout pure way to handle that encounter would be to have the big fella carrying a .50 cal he's make shifted into a weapon. Don't even put the BoS in that equation because they're supposed to have firepower galore. Maybe a band of scavengers, or just you going it solo versus something bigger, stronger, and better armed. Think outside the trappings of typical gaming. Maybe there's an old pine cone grenade nearby that coupled with an old car husk can take him down if you lure him near enough, but maybe some of those scavenger buddies you just met are using said car for cover, tough choices (not for me). Or maybe a weakened concrete overpass or wall is near enough to drop on him, but in turn will cave in some unfortunate bystander's shelter or block you off from being able to get at a clean water supply or other loot post-fight. The game is supposed to have some destructible environs, so why not let us make use of it in situations like that, instead of handing us a super cannon to blow everything to smithereens. Thats EXACTLY what Fallout fans DON'T want to see.

Of course it is only a very brief demo, and there are positives. They've apparently learned a lot from Oblivion's failings as an RPG and are remedying them. SPECIAL is crucial, I just hope it keeps to its traditional roots, no condensing lasers, big guns, small guns, etc. into a single category. Improve upon it by refining and reclassifying them, not condensing. The character creation sounds cool too. I like the early glimpses at production values we're getting as the graphics engine is impressive, they've gone all out to license a heavy dose of setting appropriate music, and they've brought in some killer voice talent.

Best of all to me is VATS. If done right it should make every challenging battle into a slow, thought provoking, turn bases affair while letting us squash giant ants and the like quickly and with little hassle later in the game when we have more important things to do. But it needs to be balanced just right. I'm no game designer so I don't have a clue in that respect, but I hope Bethesda really focuses on making VATS the step forward in modern RPG gameplay it has the potential to be. They should also definitely include VATS actions like targeting attacks at objects (don't make innovative combat approaches twitch while nothing else has to be), quick reloads, pack access, etc. Drive home its importance and versatility so that it doesn't become a useless aside with most gamers just real time blasting their way through the game. I'd even suggest that real time actions should more than slow VATS recovery, but actually drain it, just at a slower rate than paused, strategic actions.

I'm largely left torn after seening the scans. Its too little to make a real decision on where Bethesda will take it. There's a lot of stuff that grates on my die hard Fallout fan sensibilities, but at the same time there is a lot of stuff that gets me real excited. Bethesda still has a ton of time though and the game is clearly progressing well. I have no doubt it'll be a fun post-apocalyptic RPG, I just hope its a Fallout game first and foremost, not another "X old IP slapped on Y new game to help push more sales" a la Shadowrun.

Though I guess, after BoS and Tactics its not like the IP hasn't been run through the muck its fair share already. We Fallout fans should be used to it. What's one more time around as long as its a decent game all the console masses can enjoy, right?

Masklinn

Munin said:
Right, but giant scorpions were realistic. :lol
yes actually. 2m scorps was pushing it a fair bit, but giant insects were a panacea of past epochs, so it's not that irrealistic.

Munin said:
So just up there you complained about the game not being realistic, now it's too realistic? What the ****?
They're two completely different and orthogonal issues: the first is the realistic setting of fallout, which means that the world is coherent with our own (created by copy or extrapolation), the second one is the realism of the action, which would be how real it seems.

RE4 has an unrealistic setting and a realistic action, Fallout had a realistic setting and an unrealistic action, Metal Gear Solid and Deux Ex have mostly realistic settings and realistic action, Arcanum has an unrealistic setting and unrealistic action.

Orthogonal, nothing in common, no intersection.
Munin said:
I'm guessing that if Black Isle had secretly completed Van Buren, then handed it over to Bethesda as a finished game, NMA monkeys like you would still hate it simply based on the existence of a Bethesda logo on the game's box.
You think I hate bethesda? Damn, you could hardly be more wrong. And I will give "Fallout III" its chance. I may even buy the box to try the game.

Doesn't mean I like what I'm seeing being labelled "Fallout III".

besada

Banned
Borys said:

Overall and I cannot stress this enough:

Seems like the Xbox doomed another PC franchise to... Oblivion (no pun intended).

26344_formatted_cry_baby.gif

Get the **** over it. I've been playing Fallout since the first game came out in stores, so I know plenty about Fallout. But it's been years and years since any kind of Fallout game came out, and all you can do is whine. Here's a hint: Don't like it, don't buy it.

Borys

Banned
besada said:
http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u48/besada/26344_formatted_cry_baby.gif

Get the **** over it. I've been playing Fallout since the first game came out in stores, so I know plenty about Fallout. But it's been years and years since any kind of Fallout game came out, and all you can do is whine. Here's a hint: Don't like it, don't buy it.

Whatever dude. I acted the same ****ing way before Invisible War launched, I battled the same stupid people that defended its consolization and we all know how that game turned out to be.

Deja vu.

besada

Banned
Borys said:
Whatever dude. I acted the same ****ing way before Invisible War launched, I battled the same stupid people that defended its consolization and we all know how that game turned out to be.

Deja vu.

Yeah, and you were a boring whiner then, too.

Man this generation on consoles is shaping up nicely for RPGs, at least the ones I'm interested in. Oblivion, Mass Effect, Fallout 3, Age of Conan, Fable 2, Marvel MMORPG game, and hopefully we will see an announcement of Hellgate London soon.

Redbeard

Banned
Borys said:

Deja vu.

There's no "consolization" here, idiot.

Frenck

Banned
Borys said:

Deja vu.

You can blame Xbox for the technical issues of IW, small areas, long loading times and stuff like that, but the gameplay decisions made by the developers didn't have anything to do with the console audience. The game was meant for a more mainstream audience, that's why we got unified ammo and spiky hair guy as the player character. I'd say the console release was just another attempt to appeal to a bigger audience, not the cause of all the problems that plagued IW.

Fallout 3 looks completely different. They kept the gore intact and you can nuke cities for no reason at all, not exactly what the spiky-hair-audience has in mind.

I'm torn. I love the Fallout series but I hate Bethesda and their corn-cob games.

And until Mass Effect comes out and proves to be great (I doubt it) I can't believe anyone can say that RPGs this gen are "shaping up nicely".

Well, I guess they are in the graphics department...

Frenck said:
You can blame Xbox for the technical issues of IW, small areas, long loading times and stuff like that, but the gameplay decisions made by the developers didn't have anything to do with the console audience. The game was meant for a more mainstream audience, that's why we got unified ammo and spiky hair guy as the player character. I'd say the console release was just another attempt to appeal to a bigger audience, not the cause of all the problems that plagued IW.

Fallout 3 looks completely different. They kept the gore intact and you can nuke cities because for no reason, not exactly what the spiky-hair-audience has in mind.
That mainstream audience being the console users. It didn't even play like a normal PC FPS.
Anyway so far aside from a few doubtfull points like the VATS system I'm positive about the game.

Spruce Moose said:
I'm torn. I love the Fallout series but I hate Bethesda and their corn-cob games.

And until Mass Effect comes out and proves to be great (I doubt it) I can't believe anyone can say that RPGs this gen are "shaping up nicely".

Must be nice going through life as a jaded gamer. I'd find a new hobby ;).

Redbeard

Banned
Borys said:
You forgot calling me a pathetic ellitist BTW. That's how I was called when I lamented on Invisible War.

Did you also lament the Xbox verison of Morrowind?

I guess World in Conflict is also going to suck now, right? :lol

Top Bottom