• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Features Coming to Xbox One Preview and Xbox Beta App this Month

Ghazi

Ever since I switched to PS4, I've loved how simple and efficient the OS is at getting me where I want, but I have to admit that MS is killing it with their frequent updates.

Max_Po

Banned
But how will stuff get popular if it only shows popular stuff in the first place? :p

Sure why not? Folders for everything. Pins, My Games & Apps, Ready to install. There's no reason not to really.

I think MS allows for PINS, there is no ROOM for Folders.

You want to go to -> My Games & Apps and then Folders for Games ?

Sorry I am not making fun on anyone, I just think its too tedious.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
• Re-arrange Pins on Home and access them offline: Many of you have told us that you want Pins on your Xbox One Home to be easier to organize. In Preview, you will now be able to rearrange individual pins. We also made Pins accessible for launching when you are offline.

Finally.

Chris1

Huh? The folders would just need to act like another pin, of course there'd be room. Look at the 3ds' implementation of folders and it works amazing with no issues on the home screen.

Sure why not? When you have a ton of games installed it gets really difficult to navigate the MG&A section.

muzzymate

Solid update but really disappointed that there still aren't any plans for an Xbox 360 game store on XB1. People should be able to claim their GWG games and buy other backwards compatible games using the XB1 console.

They've mentioned it's in the pipeline. But I'm very surprised they rolled out backwards compatibility without it.

mike4001_

Sure why not? Folders for everything. Pins, My Games & Apps, Ready to install. There's no reason not to really.

I am actually not a friend of folders.

On a modern system, the system itself should organize it´s stuff.

For instance if there are too much games, automatically make seperate categories for Xbox One and Xbox 360 Games

Or add a third row once the game amount exceeds a certain limit.

Awesome list.

And this is kinda off-topic but does anyone know how to access the free EA Access games since its still asking for a subscription fee.

Reminds me that it feels like ages since we got a new PS4 firmware update (3.0 didn't bring a lot of new things besides Community). I know Yoshida said they were working hard to make PS4's OS work with PS VR, but I'm tired of waiting...

Chris1

I am actually not a friend of folders.

On a modern system, the system itself should organize it´s stuff.

For instance if there are too much games, automatically make seperate categories for Xbox One and Xbox 360 Games

Or add a third row once the game amount exceeds a certain limit.
I agree with that, that should happen but it's not like you'd have to use folders so nothing would change if you're not a fan of them.

I don't want half the games I have installed to show up because they're in my backlog and they're just taking up space around games I do want to play, I could uninstall it but then that takes hours to redownload them again. Same thing for Ready to install, I don't want to hide them but I don't want them to show up at that point in time either.

I forgot "folders" for friends..I suppose it's more categories than folders but essentially the same thing.

Superfrog

• Gamerscore Leaderboard: In Xbox One Preview, go to the Achievements section of your profile by clicking ‘View Achievements’ through the sign-in tab of the guide to check out the revived Gamerscore Leaderboard. Through the Gamerscore Leaderboard, see where you stand relative to your friends by comparing total gamerscore, as well as biggest gains over a rolling 30-day period. Click on the Gamerscore Leaderboard to see the full list of all your friends.

Great that this is coming back, but it should show up directly on the main "Community" tab. That tab is totally useless as it is now.

Head.spawn

Sorry I am not making fun on anyone, I just think its too tedious.

A folder as a Pin could make sense. I wouldn't even use it myself, I use Kinect to launch titles, but it think it could work.

Going to my games and apps first would be tedious, I agree, a bit pointless as well. But Pinning an actual folder, with organised Pins inside could be useful to some.

For instance, you could have a Folder-Pin dedicated to media apps.. click on it and maybe scroll up and down a pop out list and see Netflix, Pandora and Crackle. Click on another list for your goto games, another list with action games etc etc. People want to be able to do their cobwebbed organizing... just put a cap on the amount of titles per folder for stability sake and let them have what they want. Basically they could make it function the way it does on Android OS for shortcuts and that'd be perfect for a gaming console.

Great that this is coming back, but it should show up directly on the main "Community" tab. That tab is totally useless as it is now.

Agreed. No one will even go to look at it in the achievements section that is hidden away. We need an achievements tab on the front page, IMO.

Montresor

I want them to re-add the ability to remove zero-gamerscore games from your list, which you used to be able to do but can't do anymore with the new dashboard.

While I'm sure Microsoft also monitors certain forums when it comes to feature requests, it's always good to also add your votes to features you'd like to see implemented at http://feedback.xbox.com (and also stuff you'd like to see brought back or changed).

malfcn

Sounds good.
Hopefully it makes other parts more stable or consistent. Profiles and parts behave weird : scroll down and you have no cursor, then press left or right and it jumps down. The rt on the store page etc only works once, won't go down more. There is still jank to be ironed out.

Game notifications were turned off? Was playing Killer Instinct and if I tasked away, the game wouldn't notify me the next match was found and starting.

And I don't care about background music.

Yeah I better be able to remove the garbage on my achievements tab. I don't care, but I have a few friends who dropped Xbox literally only due to that change.

Fuchsdh

Solid list.
Does this mean that, like the W10 app, it'll constantly ask us to connect to our Facebook account to search for friends? I hope not.

Live.xbox.com is already suggesting friends based on who follows you and who they follow. I don't think it requires social network hoops.

Justinh

I'm glad we can remove stuff from our ready to install list, well...soon. Being able to re-arrange pins more easily is something I wanted too. I even made a suggestion for this in the Preview app.

Unfortunately since the last update my Xbox downloaded, my Xbox One has been dead. It was the wireless capability at first, so after waiting a week and a half I connected it with a cable to see if another update was released to fix my issue.

There wasn't, so I did a factory reset and the wireless worked again (yay...) but my external couldn't be seen. So I'd do a hard reboot to see if that'd rejigger it but then my controller wouldn't connect and wouldn't work (even wired up!). So I tried doing the offline diagnostic tool to re-reset to factory and it'd just be the same loop.

The update was dated Jan5 and I had just been playing Gears Ultimate with my Dad on Jan3. Sorry for ranting, it's just... it feels like I'm going to have to get another Xbox One (and I really wanted to play Nuts and Bolts after seeing a thread about it...)

How about removing games with 0 achievements? There are games showing up on my list that I haven't even played like Fallout 4 and some other game can't remember at the moment.

Glad to be able to hide games again, seeing who's in a party too. The rest all sounds nice too, especially the additional options.

Hope this fixes the issue of my games never being in recent order too.

How about removing games with 0 achievements? There are games showing up on my list that I haven't even played like Fallout 4 and some other game can't remember at the moment.

That, and BETAs. In fact, just let me delete what I want! But let's start with 0 and BETAs (which incidentally, are all 0 anyway)

Omikaru

Glad I'll be able to hide my "Ready To Install" list again. Hated that that feature was taken away in the UI redesign.

RdN

So, this month Microsoft is basically re introducing the stuff that was already there, but they took out for the NXOE, right?

Stuff like View who's in party, leaderboards, hide games and joinable Twitch broadcasts are all things that were in the dashboard before, got removed and now are being taunted as highlights for a new update.

It's a very weak month, in my opinion.

evilr

Banned
The Xbox One UI has a been a catastrophic disaster since it was rushed to launch. The amount of resources and capabilities spent on the constant review and work on the thing must be tiring and demoralising.

It has achieved little result and now seems to be used as a PR marketing opportunity. It is obvious the regular changing of what the Xbox One is supposed to be has caused confusion and lack of focus on the UI.

The next Xbox needs to perform much better in many areas. Focusing on gaming would be an ideal start.

The Xbox One UI has a been a catastrophic disaster since it was rushed to launch. The amount of resources and capabilities spent on the constant review and work of the thing must be tiring and demoralising.

It has achieved little result and now seems to be used as a PR marketing opportunity. It is obvious the regular changing of what the Xbox One is supposed to be has caused confusion and lack of focus on the UI.

The next Xbox needs to perform much better in many areas. Focusing on gaming would be an ideal start.

ohyou!.gif

Rembrandt

Banned
So, this month Microsoft is basically re introducing the stuff that was already there, but they took out for the NXOE, right?

Stuff like View who's in party, leaderboards, hide games and joinable Twitch broadcasts are all things that were in the dashboard before, got removed and now are being taunted as highlights for a new update.

It's a very weak month, in my opinion.

you could join friend's twitch broadcast from the game's tile?

EBE

hiding games from my ready to install list?

NICE.
i dont know why it ever went away in the first place, but NICE

The Xbox One UI has a been a catastrophic disaster since it was rushed to launch. The amount of resources and capabilities spent on the constant review and work on the thing must be tiring and demoralising.

Took you long enough....

Bizzquik

None of this really interests me beside being able to "Hide" betas, etc - from my list of 'owned' digital titles....but I'm happy other Gaffers are happy.

I want them to put your "years on Live" badge more in the forefront. I find its hidden away and it would be cool to be able to attach it to your profile or gamercard or something.

Also, adding games to my library without having to download them would be nice.

• Hide games from ‘ready-to-install’ list: Fans asked that we re-enable the ability to hide content like betas, trials, games, and apps that they no longer want to install. Xbox One Preview members will be able to start using this feature again.

YEEEEESSS!!!!!!

see5harp

Hide ready to install stuff is great. I really disliked when they took that away, especially for free apps, demos and betas. Being able to rearrange pins easily is also great. We've been wanting that for a while.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I would like them to bring back that delete a game from your achievements list as long as you haven't unlocked anything.

Offline pins! Finally... not much else there I'm that bothered about but that is a nice one. Gamerscore leaderboards and hide on install list are nice returns too

Top Bottom