• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FIFA 12 screens [Update 2: Covers]

iNvidious01 said:
edit: i also found this, maybe rutter is trolling and pc gets impact engine 2.0

23kt0si.jpg

This will be the deciding factor between definitely buying the PC version day one or MAYBE buying PS3 version when it's cheaper and enjoying it less knowing I could be playing a better version :/

adelante

sun-drop said:
the same?? ... you guys don't play fifa much eh ... check out the hit at the 1:02 mark .... amazing
Only 600 online club matches (cos weekends are all I have) and several seasons of MM, but I guess yeah, I don't "play fifa much" -__-

Again, the physical reactions to tackles stood out as something new for me...also, it seems that you have more time with the ball now. Things that I dont like about the video is player positioning and players getting away with no foul for consecutive tackles from behind.

adelante said:
BigZombieMonkey of sweetpatch.tv and FVPA has posted a detailed write-up on the recent Guildford playtest event:

http://www.fvpa.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=82&t=14557

good read, hopefully they get the fouls situation figured out as it jumped out that something was wrong in the videos posted already when people repeatedly slide tackled from behind and no fouls were called. Glad the new defending seems to be getting rave reviews.

Great read, I was hoping he'd talk a bit about the atmosphere in the stadiums though. Bringing a credible, British like crowd would be another step into the 'revolution' they claim there is.

adelante

There's a very brief mention on atmosphere here, along with lengthy impressions on each aspect of the demo (probably the best writeup I've read so far):

http://forum.ea.com/uk/posts/list/711510.page

The bit on Tactical Defending leaves me somewhat concerned. To copy/paste what I posted elsewhere: I didn't think they needed to implement Tactical Defending™ at all (Rodelero/Xaor's impressions basically reaffirms this). Automatic pressing really needs to go, and probably FIFA11's useless running jockey as well. New players need to be taught how to effectively defend with manual positioning and knowing when to jockey/face an attacker (LT/L2) or run in parallel with him (RT/R2), with either option offering its own advantage (the former allows you to cover passing angles better and the latter lets you keep up with the attacker's pace). And just like in real life, there would be times where players need to constantly switch between the two. Committing a tackle or charging in at the wrong timing or angle should result in a card/foul, instilling the necessary risk awareness that's lost on majority of FIFA players these days....

Barkley's Justice said:
Holy shit that's FIFA on the 3DO isn't it? Game looked freakin amazing when I first saw it running.

Pachimari

Did we know this?
I just received a newsletter from one of the largest stores here in Denmark.

They say FIFA 12 will be released for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 at September 29. Alongside the standard edition you can pre-order a 'FIFA 12 Special Edition', which includes 12 Fifa Ultimate Team Gold Packs (you get two packs a month in six months).

Tijnisch

Neo Member
Will they take a look at the career mode?
The one in Fifa 11 was, in my opinion, very limited and I remember there being a lot of bugs with the player growth.

adelante

Anastacio said:
Did we know this?
I just received a newsletter from one of the largest stores here in Denmark.

They say FIFA 12 will be released for PC, PS3 and Xbox 360 at September 29. Alongside the standard edition you can pre-order a 'FIFA 12 Special Edition', which includes 12 Fifa Ultimate Team Gold Packs (you get two packs a month in six months).
I suppose it's good news for those who aren't interested in UT at all?

A GAME and Gamestation press release has revealed that FIFA 12 will carry a recommended retail price of £54.99.

The announcement came with the news that GAME Group has scooped the exclusive rights to the Ultimate Edition of this year's game, which it's now offering for £44.99 if you pre-order.

According to MCV, the Ultimate Edition will include access to 24 game downloads spread throughout the year that will update teams, squads and fitness. It won't contain the Ultimate Team DLC, the site reports.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/304758/news/fifa-12-rrp-is-pound5499-ultimate-edition-detailed/

KingDizzi

Banned
Heh this is a fucking FIFA game, go to a supermarket at launch and you will get it for £25. Shit always happens with the FIFA games and it's one of the reasons I'm thankful for being in the UK, Sainsburys is the one where I've gone to for the past few years with mates to get it.

Metalmurphy said:
54.99 oO Don't games usually retail at 40 pounds?

No, the retail price for games released this year have actually been over £50 with the VAT shit that happened. You never get stores selling at that price and I'm talking about rip offs like GAME. Online is a different matter, you will never pay more than £38 for a game no matter what system it's on. Again this is FIFA, go to a supermarket at midnight and your set as they will keep trying to price cut each other or just wait a few weeks to get it cheap. FIFA games keep fluctuating in price over the year but within the first month it does drop at some point to under £30. Trust me guys, I'm Kingdizzi, I'm poor. Parents and sisters rich though.

Hixx

Metalmurphy said:
54.99 oO Don't games usually retail at 40 pounds?

Very few shops will charge £55. Most will charge £45 if thats the case but on launch day it'll be easy to get for £27-35 like every year.

Socreges

Banned
Meus Renaissance said:
Anyone else feeling annoyed they'll charge full price for this? I remember a few years ago both David Rutter and Peter Moore acknowledged that gamers would eventually start to question incremental releases of sports games if there is no graphical improvement. Most if not all the improvements in FIFA 12 are to the engine and gameplay features, the same that was said of FIFA 11 and FIFA 10, and presumably, the same that will be said of FIFA 13. Why not, therefore, just charge gamers who already own a previous iteration a fee for that update because clearly this does not justify £40 when you already have FIFA 11.

What adds to the annoyance is that there will no doubt be issues in this game, as there have been in all the previous iterations. So we'll essentially be getting a slightly improved FIFA that will have problems, like all sports games. I am not even the slightest interested in 'updating' for full price. It's insulting.

If people can silently acknowledge this concern of mine, then will it finally become vocal next year if we see similar changes in FIFA 13? Will people finally say enough? Rutter and Moore both acknowledged it would become harder and harder to keep justifying full retail releases - well I hope they are proven right
Like someone else said, gotta vote with your wallet. Ultimately people still go out and buy them, irrespective of the incremental changes. So I don't expect the robbery to stop any time soon.

elsk

Banned
Tijnisch said:
Will they take a look at the career mode?
The one in Fifa 11 was, in my opinion, very limited and I remember there being a lot of bugs with the player growth.

According to this interview, yes. I really hope so, manager mode is the mode I play the most in FIFA.

While the manager mode in FIFA is fun to play around with, it pales in comparison to management sims such as Football Manager 20XX. Are there any plans to increase the functionality of the manager mode so it can compete with these sims?

McHardy: Last year we introduced Career Mode and we have major plans for the feature this year. Again, I will have a lot more to share on the feature in the months ahead but what I can tell you now is that Career Mode in FIFA 12 will be driven by the storylines from the real-world of the sport. Elements like player morale, on-pitch form and league position will influence outcomes in the game. Users will face more decisions and factors than ever before, with their consequences being played out on the pitch.

Arnie

Hopefully that video means Andy Carroll won't keep running out wide when played as a lone striker like he does currently in Fifa 11. The amount of times it's Carroll out wide looking to receive the ball in a crossing position is ridiculous.

Although this highlights one of Fifa's many catastrophic AI deficiencies.

adelante

Typical of EA to cram in as much tech into individual players and how they control, when they should be focusing on overall team tactics, defensive AI and general off-the-ball movements.

JWong

Banned
adelante said:
Typical of EA to cram in as much tech into individual players and how they control, when they should be focusing on overall team tactics, defensive AI and general off-the-ball movements.
They're pushing online with 11v11. Of course their focus is on individual players.

adelante

JWong said:
They're pushing online with 11v11. Of course their focus is on individual players.
I don't mind them dedicating resources to that aspect of the game but they're missing an entire chunk of what football's all about if they're not giving tactics/positioning equal focus. Also, with regard to how each player control, it seems as though with each iteration EA has conveniently forgotten the importance of momentum and footplanting, two things that felt right in FIFA08 but has now completely gone to shit because they don't care to tweak those further when they added in 360 degree dribbling, more responsive controls, pro passing, etc..

Go_Ly_Dow

Meus Renaissance said:
I just want the input lag in Fifa Clubs to go away.

+the absolutely abysmal AI needs to be a lot better
+they needs to make it a lot harder to score headers so it cant be abused over and over and over
+keepers need to stop kicking the ball straight to the opposing team

Go_Ly_Dow

adelante said:
I can only hope that they keep instances such as these to a minimum:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mZYTdsI1BI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uCM_bLS0pJ8

This comment from the top video is annoying...

ur video sucks man .. change the level u are playing dumbass maybe u play in dumbass mode!!

fuck u

SuperUgaray 1 day ago

mainly since in online clubs there's no difficulty settings, just one pre-set difficulty. It's like the AI is automatically stuck on beginner.....

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
adelante said:

Well their individual focus is largely AI improvements. Because it's not like it's even traveling in the direction of NBA 2k's level of signature individuality. They are only scratching the surface of NBA 2k's tendency based AI. It's most definitely the right way to go when it comes to sports AI. Small shit like actually keeping Crouch's stupid ass in the box instead of hanging around the wing or the top of the box like he does in FIFA 11 are incremental steps to better team tactics and off ball movement.

Defense remains to be seen. It always remains to be seen for every sports game. The logic is so grounded in situations that have to change with each year that they can't possibly win with their current model whatever it is. Then there's the weight of design on friendly AI that i'm not sure that there's ever a right answer. Like should they run down loose balls? If they do there will be scenarios when you get screwed over when they fail. If they don't like they do now, the computer literally steamrolls you until god's will forces the ball to roll your way.

rvy

Banned
I doubt any football game will ever reach 2k's level of authenticity simply because of the sheer amount of players and teams. The NBA is fairly small. Visual Concepts has more than enough time and resources to make it happen, EA/Konami don't.
I think they were doing the right thing with Personality+, but it's still limited as hell. I hope they listened to the community, they had some nice ideas on how to fix Personality+.

bjaelke

FIFA 12 signs ex-England striker Alan Smith as new commentator. Replaces Gray who got booted for the sexist comment earlier this year.

New interesting additions:
Ten thousand lines of new dialogue are promised for the game, and there will be two distinct English broadcast teams.

Clive Tyldesley and Andy Townsend will operate apart from Tyler and Smith, and they will call tournament matches. Additionally, gamers will be able to customize the game audio as they see fit, with the ability to choose between either Smith and Tyler or Tyldesley and Townsend.

Top Bottom