• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New FIFA 12 screens [Update 2: Covers]

rvy

Banned
How about they also improve animations? I'm tired of seeing the same thing for 3 or 4 years now.

So excited for FIFA 12. Had it with FIFA 11 bullshit (horrible defending, people STILL 'A' passing all the way down the pitch, stupid ass AI). Hoping 12 improves on all that and more.

elsk

Banned
New screenshots from two days ago:

pQgYH.jpg

tlUaw.jpg

9Lj9i.jpg

JCNrO.jpg

0HJNA.jpg

QhEn7.jpg

Complete album:
http://imgur.com/a/2xGKw/all

adelante

Sol.. said:
Well their individual focus is largely AI improvements. Because it's not like it's even traveling in the direction of NBA 2k's level of signature individuality. They are only scratching the surface of NBA 2k's tendency based AI. It's most definitely the right way to go when it comes to sports AI. Small shit like actually keeping Crouch's stupid ass in the box instead of hanging around the wing or the top of the box like he does in FIFA 11 are incremental steps to better team tactics and off ball movement.

Defense remains to be seen. It always remains to be seen for every sports game. The logic is so grounded in situations that have to change with each year that they can't possibly win with their current model whatever it is. Then there's the weight of design on friendly AI that i'm not sure that there's ever a right answer. Like should they run down loose balls? If they do there will be scenarios when you get screwed over when they fail. If they don't like they do now, the computer literally steamrolls you until god's will forces the ball to roll your way.
Yeah it's hard to cover all facets of defense when it comes to AI; balance is definitely an issue. I actually do believe EA was approaching it the right way in creating a truly nex-gen football game, by implementing smooth animation transitions, inertia and proper footplanting to get the look and feel of player movement right.

FIFA07 as a result was a pretty big milestone in football gaming imho, at least as far as player movement and control is concerned. Because before that you either had a game with a huge library of mocapped animations but with little regard to the laws of physics (players iceskating around had plagued FIFA games for so many years) OR a game that relied on hand-keyed animations but offered tight, close control over each player (as robotic as the animations in PES games were and probably still is, the games have always felt responsive)

Fast forward 5 years and if you look at all the new features EA has introduced since 07, you'll notice that very little has been done in the way of improving overall tactical play because their main focus is still on how each players move and control. Especially when you consider this year's revolutionary new feature, the Player Impact Engine, which is supposed to introduce more realistic looking collisions. I'm all for how improving the game on a micro/player level but I wish EA would pay just as much attention to the bigger picture as well. Sometimes I do wonder if it's because they've used up so much CPU/GPU cycles to calculate all that animation on the pitch and render the game at 60fps/720 that they don't have much room left for team positioning and AI. Which is probably why you still see CPU opponents dribbling towards the goal after a kickoff, rarely passing back or exploring other attacking opportunities like switching play. =/

Dartastic

I didn't know where else to say this at the time, but I got to play Fifa 12 at E3 this year, and holy shit. The changes they've made in regards to ball control and player collision make this an entirely different game, for the better. It's so, so good. I've never really been hyped about a sports game before, buttt.... this is going to be great.

Arnie

Looks far too easy to just precision dribble youre way passed everyone to the point where it's a team of Messi's. Fifa is already too far in that direction, it's so unrealistic.

omgkitty

Holy shit Youth Academy! I have wanted this for several years now. Those menus need to be cleaned up a little bit as well, but it looks good.

NICKNACC

Banned
i hope the pc version isnt shitty. i have fifa 11 pc and have been playing it a lot lately. the first time i played xbox 360 version was yesterday. WAS A DIFFERENT GAME BASICALLY

omgkitty

NICKNACC said:
i hope the pc version isnt shitty. i have fifa 11 pc and have been playing it a lot lately. the first time i played xbox 360 version was yesterday. WAS A DIFFERENT GAME BASICALLY

They have pretty much said the PC version is going to be the exact same game as the console versions, so you have nothing to worry about.

Amazon is offering up $20 credit for preorders. I had mine locked in a few weeks ago, but this might encourage more people to take the plunge.
$20 Bonus Credit Plus MLS Fathead

Pre-order FIFA Soccer 12 for the PS3 or Xbox 360 and receive a code to order a free Fathead Teammate (approx. 12”x12”) of your favorite MLS team as well as a $20 Amazon credit good toward the purchase of items shipped and sold by Amazon.com (certain exclusions apply, including Kindle books, MP3s, and video rentals and downloads). The code to access the Fathead Teammate will be emailed to you on the day your order ships. The promotional credit will be added directly to your Amazon.com account within two days after your order ships. Offer valid when shipped and sold by Amazon.com. This offer will be extended to all existing pre-orders. Limit one per household. Amazon reserves the right to change or terminate this promotion at any time.
I'm assuming a few other retailers will price match this. I'm not sure what the situation is in other countries, though I'm sure you're all jealous of our MLS Fatheads. ;)

PaulLFC

Hmm... interesting. Konami were saying they've replaced Messi with another cover star for PES this year, so people were thinking EA must have signed Messi to a cover deal. Seems not, so maybe Konami just didn't want to pay whatever they had to?

Messi

PaulLFC said:
Hmm... interesting. Konami were saying they've replaced Messi with another cover star for PES this year, so people were thinking EA must have signed Messi to a cover deal. Seems not, so maybe Konami just didn't want to pay whatever they had to?

sounds about right, but they are hinting at ronaldo, he is hardly that much cheaper.

Carbonox

The new interface is busy but I like it and I like the new features and things. I'm GAGGING for this game to come out. I've returned to FIFA 11 but it's just not the same now I'm hyped for this. 2 months, bleh.

snoopen

Besides gameplay, what annoyed you about 11? I absolutely hated the confirmations and laggy ui, the dumb score window that takes up a 1/4 of the screen for 5-10 seconds while the other team kicks off.

omgkitty

Lunchbox said:
Expected donovan and Javier hernandez

Not who ever the fuck that is

It's Rafa Marquez....they really should have used Chicharito. I hate the new cover. Also, here's the German cover:

FIFA12_German_Cover-580x667.jpg

adelante

omgkitty said:
Ugh! This new US cover is terrible.

http://fifasoccerblog.com/files/2011/08/FIFA12_US-580x715.jpg[//IMG][/QUOTE]
Heh I posted that here yesterday: [url]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=29987579&postcount=107[/url]

There's a few fifa12 threads running, I didn't know where to post.

Xater

omgkitty said:
It's Rafa Marquez....they really should have used Chicharito. I hate the new cover. Also, here's the German cover:

http://fifasoccerblog.com/files/2011/08/FIFA12_German_Cover-580x667.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Who the fuck picked those shots? They look terrible.

Top Bottom