• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Final Fantasy XV Patch Up (v1.12), Adds Free Off-Road Driving

JMY86

Wow this is great. I ordered a used copy from Gamefly the other day for $20 this patch will hopefully make the exploring a bit easier. The only problem is I probably have 15gb of patches to download also have they addressed chapter 13 yet?

Newboi

Can anyone give a decent synopsis of the good and bad elements of the battle system and quest design of FFXV? I've heard very mixed opinions on both, but I haven't played the game yet (I'm holding out hope for a PC version mainly).

To give a parallel, I loved FFXII's battle system, world design, questing, and characters though the overall story and writing weren't really that intriguing to me. I loved playing the game enough that it covered up my sheer ambivalence to the story.

aember

So glad I haven't played this game yet. By the time I get to it it'll be essentially an entirely different experience than if I played it at launch.

And I'm glad I got to play it with just the day 1 patch. Experience the vanilla game and then later experience it with all the content updates!

Koozek

Wow this is great. I ordered a used copy from Gamefly the other day for $20 this patch will hopefully make the exploring a bit easier. The only problem is I probably have 15gb of patches to download also have they addressed chapter 13 yet?
I mean, we already had Chocobos for fast traversal anyway. Yeah, they changed the Ring's power in Chapter 13 so monsters die faster and there's a new 20min-ish section selectable from the main menu or during the chapter as Noctis when you sleep in one of those save rooms from the menu, where you play from Gladio's perspective during the chapter with the gameplay mechanics from his Episode Gladio DLC and you get to see a few new cutscenes explaining the villains' motivation a bit more at least.

DNAbro

Can anyone give a decent synopsis of the good and bad elements of the battle system and quest design of FFXV? I've heard very mixed opinions on both, but I haven't played the game yet (I'm holding out hope for a PC version mainly).

To give a parallel, I loved FFXII's battle system, world design, questing, and characters though the overall story and writing weren't really that intriguing to me. I loved playing the game enough that it covered up my sheer ambivalence to the story.

Imagine baby's first quest design. That's most of FFXV's open world quest. "Go here, get thing or fight thing, go back" with very little incentive for why you are doing it most of the time. I can't say there is much good stuff there except the fact that there is a lot of it.

Battle system is kind of hard to describe. It feels very simple and most of the difficulties that may arise are completely negated by the fact that you can spam potions and phoenix downs. I never personally messed with the "Wait System" in the game so maybe there is some more hidden depth to it but most of it centers around just holding the attack button and paying attention to enemy movements to know when to dodge or counter.

This sounds pretty negative but I also find it really fun. For some reason I keep coming back to FFXV to play it more and do a few more quests.

I have issues with the game when it comes to the combat being too easy for my tastes and the questing not being very strong. Regardless I think the game is still a fun ride and it's lows do not overshadow it's highs.

Questing

The Good
A lot of the positive questing is from the main game which focuses more on dungeons and getting to new places.
  • It's fun to explore the world of XV, Eos. Some enviornments are very beautiful.
  • Dungeons are varied and have a great atmosphere.

The Bad
Sidequests are MMO quests and that's disappointing.
  • Go kill X of this monster.
  • Collect 5 frogs at the swamp
  • Take pictures of this vista that's 15 miles away.

Combat
The Good
  • The Warping gameplay allows you to warp around the field making combat dynamic and allowing you to keep your distance and close in. Adds some unique strategy.
  • Magic is destructive, realistic and easy to craft. Crafting options allow you to make insanely powerful magic with a nice variety of special effects.
  • Weapon switching is seamless and keeps things fluid.
  • Parrying and enemy's attack and countering while painfully easy feels good to do and has nice weight and feedback to it.

The Bad
  • The Magic is a double-edge sword. You can make a super powerful Firaga spell and trivilize most encounters with it.
  • A lot of bosses and enemies lack a lot of hitstun and feedback so it feels like you're just hammering on them.
  • Being able to spam items whenever you want eliminates any fear of death during combat. If you're packing some Elixirs you're basically good.
  • It's hard to die. You have 2 HP meters. When the first one hits 0 you're in a downed state. Then you can spam items as mentioned before or a teammate will help you up. This I feel is overkill and makes the game a too easy.

Koozek

Wow! I'm starting to think I made a mistake by mainlining this game at launch. The improvements have been too good.
So glad I haven't played this game yet. By the time I get to it it'll be essentially an entirely different experience than if I played it at launch.
Lol, guys, this is just off-road driving. The game is still the same, with the same narrative issues. It's not yet an "entirely different" experience and most likely will never be. Just a few improvements here and there hopefully. I'm still waiting for more QoL changes to the Hunts system and the UI, tbh.

Famassu

As much as they are going to, for free. The Prompto DLC seems to delve deeper into stuff surrounding Niflheim.

I've put about 30 hours into this so far, i'm still in chapter 2, running around exploring and doing hunts and sidequests, so all these updates have been neat.

Alfredo

I played the game for like an hour and got frustrated at not being able to drive off road. I've been waiting for this off-road driving update before I revisited the game.

So, if I'm only an hour in, will I be able to get the off-road car immediately, or will I have to grind for Gil or something to get it?

FinalAres

I love the game, but I don't know if I could give any good comments about the questing. Repetitive (as in there's one guy who keeps giving similar photo quests, one guy who asks you to find dog tags, one wants you to find precious stones) so there really is little variety. There's also no lore behind them.

Battle system is simple but satisfying. Selecting targets, dodging, special moves, admirer. It's mostly holding attack sure, but there's enough going on to make it fun.

I love the game, but I don't know if I could give any good comments about the questing. Repetitive (as in there's one guy who keeps giving similar photo quests, one guy who asks you to find dog tags, one wants you to find precious stones) so there really is little variety. There's also no lore behind them.

Battle system is simple but satisfying. Selecting targets, dodging, special moves, admirer. It's mostly holding attack sure, but there's enough going on to make it fun.
Actually there's one thing I really liked about the quests. Pretty much every one has your characters commenting on the quest itself or the person giving the quest. That added banter you wouldn't hear otherwise was rather welcome. But yeah, overall the quest design could have been better.

Looks really cool, wish it was there when the game released, would have been spool much better. Likely won't return to this. Eventual complete edition could change that though.

I played the game for like an hour and got frustrated at not being able to drive off road. I've been waiting for this off-road driving update before I revisited the game.

So, if I'm only an hour in, will I be able to get the off-road car immediately, or will I have to grind for Gil or something to get it?
It might involve doing all the car upgrade quests, which you can’t do immediately. Some of the things you need for the quests (ie, bright headlights) involve dangerous dungeons.

Edit: guess I’m wrong, you just have to be able to manually drive the car rather than Ignis driving it, which is pretty close to the beginning of the game.

Koozek

You can talk to Cidney at any time to change to the new car model Type-D for off-road driving (the earliest I read someone doing it was Chapter 3, which is when manual driving is unlocked, so I can't guarantee that it works before). Unfortunately manual driving with the default car is still the same garbage as before.

DNAbro

It's big

DDQbocTWsAAso0J.jpg:large

Also the new Episode Prompto music that they added is nice.

You will hear a lot of criticism about how combat is super easy (it can be) but it's actually fairly complex with stuff like guard crush, animation cancels etc. You can pull off some pretty neat combos but the game just never explains it to you. Also, the camera is problematic, so fighting certain enemies or locations can be a little frustrating.

IMO, I like FFXV's combat a lot and this is coming from someone who platinumed Demon's, Dark Soul's and Bloodborne. There are lots of fun animations and pulling off certain combos can be pretty satisfying.

The game itself is good imo, just that it feels incomplete, something is missing. The main characters are quite likeable, and I wish there was more content. I'm not a FF fan at all and I picked up the game on sale and I feel like I got my money's worth.

Socivol

I really enjoy all the updates but they haven't fixed the story which is the update everyone has been asking for the most.

Actually there's one thing I really liked about the quests. Pretty much every one has your characters commenting on the quest itself or the person giving the quest. That added banter you wouldn't hear otherwise was rather welcome. But yeah, overall the quest design could have been better.

Yeah, the banter was pretty good.

"I think (the jewel guy) is just using us." THANK YOU.

This is a welcome addition. Love how it's available in ch 1. I wonder if it shares the same speed upgrades as the regular car?

Ha just ran over a sabertusk.

Unknown?

Imagine baby's first quest design. That's most of FFXV's open world quest. "Go here, get thing or fight thing, go back" with very little incentive for why you are doing it most of the time. I can't say there is much good stuff there except the fact that there is a lot of it.
That's pretty much every open world game though...

FinalAres

Oh that's true. The side quests felt much more 'canon' than sidequests in most games for this reason.

The conversations between the Bros is the best part of this game, and definitely what makes it a good game. It's the one area where it does things better than other games.

muteki

I don't really see any updates getting me back into the game unless they are re-writing/recording key story sequences. Not just chapter 13, all over the place.

DNAbro

That's pretty much every open world game though...

FFXV is pretty bad at it though. Hate to compare everything to Witcher 3 but that does side quests right. Hell Breath of the Wild had much better and more involved side quests for some of them.

Also another pic

Also just learned that there is a scoring system for big jumps on these things. I jumped off that point.

Famassu

That's pretty much the saving grace of storytelling in FFXV as a whole. The cutscenes are quite bad most of the time but just having these four characters talk shit casually or seriously uninterrupted, commenting on stuff they just went through or just general stuff in the vicinity is one of the only good things about FFXV's writing, even if the dialogue isn't always perfect.

FFXV is pretty bad at it though. Hate to compare everything to Witcher 3 but that does side quests right. Hell Breath of the Wild had much better and more involved side quests for some of them.
BOTW has some great sidequests but it also has its share of tedious collectathons, made even worse by the fact that it's not just, like, comparable to having to collect 5 frogs, but 5000 of them for some questlines.

DNAbro

Yeah I'm curious as well since my mate gave me his copy a fortnight ago but don't want to start it until all of these updates are out. lol.

You got a few months ahead of you then. Them seem insistent of adding more and more updates and probably won't stop till all the DLC is out.

Koozek

Do we know what else is coming?

Yeah I'm curious as well since my mate gave me his copy a fortnight ago but don't want to start it until all of these updates are out. lol.
You mean free patches or DLC? Regarding future free patches we don't know yet, but DLC-wise there's the Episode Prompto DLC on the 27th tomorrow (features third-person shooter gameplay and riding a snowmobile!), the Episode Ignis in August probably, and after that the whole Online Multiplayer DLC thing.

Top Bottom