• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New gameplay: Wolfenstein- The New Order

Jesus fucking Hell-Christ
sounds funny but I dig it.

Also I'm glad to see they're retaining the weirdo secret passages in this new game.

dr_rus

I still feel like Wolfenstein was basically ruined by all the reboots that followed after Wolf3D. This is going to be like 4th reboot of the brand? Why not make something original instead? It's not like Wolf3D can be an inspiration for a modern game, it's too basic and old school.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
22t2ai0.gif

Even in gruesome death the Waffen SS keep an stiff upper lip.

KOHIPEET

The single player component looks very promising. Now they just have to make MP stand out and my buy is solid on PS4

so wolf gets flak for a brutal kills wheras it was ok in the last of us? didnt see a single compliant for joel being brutal.

* What do they mean by "adventure" elements? Was repeated several times but couldn't get a handle on it from the footage.

* Footage showed subtitles but no UI elements?

* Why do I wince whenever I hear action games talk about story, merging story, having a heavy emphasis on story, etc.? It's more like a warning than a selling point.

I loved the hell out of old school Wolfenstein. Well, I mean after the original Wolfensteins but before they gave you magical abilities. The one that was a straight up shooter, with secrets. I'd be into another romp at that.

I bet it's there, but it's somehow linked to the campaign. They wouldn't release it without mulitplayer, I just refuse to believe they would...

Seems pretty set it stone dude:

"We're not going to force it down their throats and say, 'Well, the last games did, so you have to do it.' These guys do cool stuff," he told Eurogamer. "If you look at The Chronicles of Riddick or you look at The Darkness, those games have a creative element to them that is similar to the things they're doing in Wolfenstein and that's what attracted us to them, and that's what attracted us to their vision of Wolfenstein. And we said, 'Okay, run with that.'"

Hines also put the kibosh on the idea of bringing in another team to take on the task. "We're not going to say, 'Oh, we'll find somebody else to do the multiplayer'," he said. "Wolfenstein: New Order is [single-player]. End of discussion."

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/for...-Missing-Multiplayer-in-Wolfenstein-New-Order

DocSeuss

This is quickly becoming one of my most wanted games in a very long time. I'm feeling an emotional disconnect, even with games I want... but this... this is the kind of game I feel like I'd go pick up at midnight, fingers trembling as I rip open the package, yelling at my computer when the DVD drive refuses to open, pacing impatiently as I wait for the game to install...

Yeah.

Yeaaaaahhh... I need this.

Raptor

A little sound for when the bullets hit the enemies please??

Just with that little change and this game will go from maybe to day one baby!

Just something, anything that lets me know Im doing damage.

Horp

Initial trailer was wonderful, first gameplay didn't get me excited much, but this one.. I gotta say it looks nice. It's not really a category of games I like that much; scripted FPS:s, but I have to admit it looks really nice. Will pick it up if reviews are good I guess.

Vibranium

Banned
It's giving me a Resistance: Fall of Man vibe due to lack of iron sights, which is a good thing. I'll probably pick it up for PS4, hopefully the crazier weapons are really cool.

* What do they mean by "adventure" elements? Was repeated several times but couldn't get a handle on it from the footage.

They mean adventure like....I dunno, adventure. Not just shooting up nazis in corridors. Exploration, variety of scenarios, world building, secret areas, etc. Action-adventure shooter. Just think about their previous games to get an idea.

Yeah, this game looks pretty damn good. I just read that it has a health system much like Far Cry 2. It seems to be a throwback of shooters like those, which is great.

DocSeuss

It appears that the footage in the trailer is all console stuff, which is why it seems pretty boring in some situations.

They mean adventure like....I dunno, adventure. Not just shooting up nazis in corridors. Exploration, variety of scenarios, world building, secret areas, etc. Action-adventure shooter. Just think about their previous games to get an idea.
So you don't know either?

So you don't know either?

I just splained it, yo. They've been clear to repeatedly stress "action-adventure shooter" and a ~15 hours for the campaign. Even when they delayed the game they pointed out they needed to make sure everything was polished because it's "more than just shooting" or whatever. Adventure.

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?

Do you understand the words that are coming out of my mouth?
Haha, yes.

BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??

I get it, stuff besides shooting. That's a near infinite category of possible things.

Do you maybe have any details to narrow things down a bit, and that's not just guesswork? Does anybody?

please?

Haha, yes.

BUT WHAT DOES THAT MEAN??

I get it, stuff besides shooting. That's a near infinite category of possible things.

Do you maybe have any details to narrow things down a bit, and that's not just guesswork? Does anybody?

please?

I sort of wish I did. I just read the article about it on Polygon (written a couple days ago), and my interest in this game has shot up almost tenfold. Regardless, I'll be keeping my eyes on it.

RedSwirl

* Footage showed subtitles but no UI elements?

* Why do I wince whenever I hear action games talk about story, merging story, having a heavy emphasis on story, etc.? It's more like a warning than a selling point.

I loved the hell out of old school Wolfenstein. Well, I mean after the original Wolfensteins but before they gave you magical abilities. The one that was a straight up shooter, with secrets. I'd be into another romp at that.

I noted it above, but this is being made by some of the guys responsible for the Riddick game and the first Darkness game.

If you haven't played those, each one is structurally a weird fusion of first person shooter, adventure game, and RPG that works surprisingly well. Each one is essentially a shooter (well Riddick switches between that, a brawler, and a stealth game) but puts you in semi-open environments where you can talk to characters and take on quests. Both of those games also handled in-game storytelling extremely well.

Now this they're working on is Wolfenstein though, so there's probably an existing set of expectations for gameplay. That said, I'm hoping these guys can bring their pedigree of storytelling and world-building to New Order in a way that doesn't conflict with what is "Wolfenstein."

Top Bottom