• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games from Jet Set Radio, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and Crazy Taxi - now in development

xrnzaaas

Golden Axe should've retained the side view. I'm excited for Crazy Taxi, hopefully it's good enough and sells well enough to kickstart Sega's other arcade racing games.

FeralEcho

4 had other issues besides the graphics, it didn't play right. I went back and played 3 recently, it feels infinitely better than 4. Not sure what to think of this new take on it, it seems they can't find the right formula again.
3 has the most mobility in the whole series since you can roll in 4 axis but i find it weaker than the 2nd which 4 copies by a lot so that's why it feels like that.It has nothing to do with issues.its like that by design.

cireza

Are these coming to a new SEGA console ? Should have been announced at the same time.

Looks awesome, but I am wary of stupid monetization schemes.

Also don't make this exclusive to anything, obviously.

Last edited:

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Watch Sega grossly overprice these, get very lukewarm sales from the usual 90s Genesis fans, then use the revenue from these to make more Sonic crap.

SaintALia

I'm in for Shinobi, though it's reminding me more of Shinobi DS than older Shinobi games, so I'm guessing it's a Western studio handling that one. A 3D Shinobi ala Shinobi PS2 is likely permanently dead anyway.

Crazy Taxi looks a bit odd, like it may be a live service game, competitive focused fare. Each scene seemed to have some sort of 'rival' taxi and the streets look absolutely devoid of cars or people.

Golden Axe looks whatever. But you'd think they'd be pushing the multiplayer hard on that one, but it seems more single-player focused than the rest. The last GA we got was BeastRider, so my expectations are rockbottom for this new one, or rather, they can't possibly put out something worse than that one.

No opinion on Jet Set, not a big fan of the series and they didn't show much for me to say, same with StroRage.

Labadal

I was hoping that the resurgence of turn-based games would have made a new tactical rpg Shining Force a possibility. Alas...

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
Yep, that's my first guess at how SEGA is able to get so much done here with brands it hasn't touched in ages. My assumption is that these are all third-party collaborations, that SEGA found developers it was interested in working with and opened up the archive for them.

I could be wrong, but that's how I imagine this worked out? We'll see...

Square Enix was doing that "here are our old brands, what can you do with them?" approach a little bit with its Square Enix Collective program, but they only offered their crustiest brands and none of those projects (of the few one licensed games that actually shipped through Collective) turned out well. So it probably can't just be an open warehouse if SEGA still wants to maintain its rep of products with its name on it, (Games Workshop is interested in other things besides video games,) but I feel like it's the only hope for so many brands which deserve respectful returns.
They've been doing this for a few years now with Forever Entertainment: House of the Dead and Panzer Dragoon.

Soltype

3 has the most mobility in the whole series since you can roll in 4 axis but i find it weaker than the 2nd which 4 copies by a lot so that's why it feels like that.It has nothing to do with issues.its like that by design.
That's a fair point, just feels like a step backward losing mobility.

Zuzu

I’m skeptical that they’ll be able to pull off good remakes for all these games. We’ll see…

EruditeHobo

Definitely in for Shinobi. And willing to give SoR & Golden Axe a try. And while I've never understood the love for Crazy Taxi or JSR I know they are incredibly well-loved, so obviously those are pretty big announcements.

Not bad, Sega.

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
These all look incredible! Can’t wait to play them.

Launch them on Dreamcast 2.
Losing Sega in the console space was a fucking dark day. However. I hope this is the start of treating their brilliant IP with respect and build up the name again in the minds of the casual gamers.

Well done Sega. Buzzed with this

BlackTron

I’m skeptical that they’ll be able to pull off good remakes for all these games. We’ll see…

If all of these games are actually good then it will be an impressive feat that looks great on Sega.

I'm not instantly put off by changing the formula in some of the games but it does raise the chance they will be bad or miss the spirit of the IP. But it also creates the opportunity to make a new game that revives the IP more interestingly than the safe retro option. If we get 2 great, 1 good, 2 failures out of this I'll be happy with the effort for 2023 lol

Jet Set Radio looks promising. Very little has been shown though.

They have to show more of Golden axe and Streets of rage to see how well its translated into 3D. Hope they both have a significant Japanese visual touch.

Last edited:

Zuzu

If all of these games are actually good then it will be an impressive feat that looks great on Sega.

I'm not instantly put off by changing the formula in some of the games but it does raise the chance they will be bad or miss the spirit of the IP. But it also creates the opportunity to make a new game that revives the IP more interestingly than the safe retro option. If we get 2 great, 1 good, 2 failures out of this I'll be happy with the effort for 2023 lol

Yeah I’ll be happy enough if they can deliver 2/5.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
This is Dotemu and Lizardcube. You already know that it is going to be awesome.

But it looks nothing like shinobi. It looks like they just threw a shinobi theme on top of a random 2d ninja game. Low ball effort. Shinobi deserves better.

Last edited:

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Holy shit they’re bringing back Shinobi and Golden Axe!!!

Thank you Sega! Thank you Sega! Thank you Sega! Thank you Sega! Thank you Sega!

Excited Pumped Up GIF by NBA

cireza

But it looks nothing like shinobi. It looks like they just threw a shinobi then do too of a random 2d ninja game. Low ball effort. Shinobi deserves better.
You are way too quick to judge the game in my opinion. Hopefully you will be wrong and realize it :)

Neff

I'm cautious because we've been through this song and dance before when they've revived classic IPs by handing them over to Western devs who are completely unable to replicate the arcade look and feel. If the same happens again I'll be disappointed and sadly not surprised.

Shinobi looks like the Streets of Rage 4 team just from the art style. So good chance that's going to be insanely good.

Open question on the rest, but could be good. For all the hype in here, I want a show of hands of people that are actually going to buy with actually real money a new Jet Set Radio, and Crazy Taxi. I don't think it's that many. Golden Axe has a little more potential as a beat em up.

We'll see.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Shinobi looks like the Streets of Rage 4 team just from the art style. So good chance that's going to be insanely good.

Open question on the rest, but could be good. For all the hype in here, I want a show of hands of people that are actually going to buy with actually real money a new Jet Set Radio, and Crazy Taxi. I don't think it's that many. Golden Axe has a little more potential as a beat em up.

We'll see.

I will buy with real money whatever $200 collector's edition they do with every single one of these games. I've been waiting 20 years for a new Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi. I still have my copy of JSRF even though it's not BC on the XSX.

I will buy with real money whatever $200 collector's edition they do with every single one of these games. I've been waiting 20 years for a new Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi. I still have my copy of JSRF even though it's not BC on the XSX.
I probably will too. I just don't think it's an automatic slam dunk. I don't think anyone hardly talked about Bombrush Cyberfunk.

RickMasters

Maaaaaan, this was my fave thing about that award show.

i hope this new 2D Shinobi has a Metroidvania style of gameplay.

Crazy taxi looked refreshed and modern.

Golden axe…… golden fucking axe!

Streets of rage in 3D was giving me spike out vibes…… love it.

Hopefully we are gonna get some direct ports of arcade classics along with more exploration into the back catalogue…..

How about a new single player phantasy?

Sega racing all stars is overdue a sequel.

Bring back some classic mega drive shunts too!

I’m just glad to see sega finally getting into their bag! It’s been too long. I want that new Shinobi!

MiguelItUp

My favorite announcement of the evening by far. So exciting. I've wanted a new Golden Axe that looks like Golden Axe for decades and I thought it'd never happen. But then you add everything else to it, and man, it made me super hyped. Everything looked great.

I'd love to see Altered Beast, Alien Syndrome, Alien Storm, and other Sega IPs in the future too!

RickMasters

I demand 3 Am2 collections:

Volume 1: Model 1
Volume 2: Model 2
Volume 3: Model 3
This absolutely needs to happen.a proper archived collection of their past greats. I’d love to boot up some model 1 games just for that flat shaded nostalgia. And we are all owed a port of scudrace! They need to stop teasing us with all these arcade games in yakuza/ like a dragon series games.

Just give us the lot in a three part volume. And I’d say a superscaler collection too.

Red5

Why not make Streets of Rage in 2d like SOR 4 was ? Same for Golden Axe? WTF Sega?

Last edited:
But it looks nothing like shinobi. It looks like they just threw a shinobi theme on top of a random 2d ninja game. Low ball effort. Shinobi deserves better.

Same shit was said about Streets of Rage 4, one of the best SEGA games in decades that not only stayed true to the old formula, but went beyond its roots in a satisfying. Wonderboy 3 remake by the same guys was very good too. They know what they are doing. Also we've seen like 5 seconds or less LOL. Once he throws kunais, this absolutely looks like Shinobi.

Last edited:
Top Bottom