• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New games from Jet Set Radio, Shinobi, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, and Crazy Taxi - now in development

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sigh, all that and no new Panzer Dragoon.

Shinobi looks like a nifty indie game but not like the Shinobi I want at all (really I'm only a fan of the original, Shadow Dancer and whichever other one plays similar to those instead of what they did to the series when it went console centric, the Rolling Thunder clones), more like Mark of the Ninja.

Golden Axe looks about as misguided as their last attempt with it in the PS3 era but surely they must know that would suck and actually make this one decent instead?

Streets of Rage going full 3D too, yikes, I thought the last did decently for being 2D, do people even like any 3D brawler more than the 2D classics?

Jet Set Radio looks promising. Crazy Taxi I have no idea what they're gonna try and do with it, visually it wasn't that interesting.

Last edited:

[Sigma]

I'm game. They look mostly cool off first glance but i dunno about the Streets of Rage change. I thought you had a good thing going with Streets of Rage 4 so I expected something similar. Golden Axe i dunno either. They could be fun, im just saying.

CamHostage

...Why isn't every publisher doing this?

These games all seem mid-scale (going by the trailer content, I'm guessing some of which was pitch-trailer content,) and I would guess not all of them are actually developed in-house by SEGA, but that's perfectly appropriate. Don't lose your minds with a AAAA reimagining that tries to push these franchises beyond what they are; just make very good games in honor of the roots (with some new gameplay technology and perspectives and such... most of these radical reinventions, but they still all have connection to the gamplay of the past than modern play systems; Shinobi is the only one of these in 2D like its own forebearers, and yet even that's a totally new look and style.) Find developers who can do something cool with the brand and make a good game, hopefully a great game. Then, make more of them.

Ristifer

Not sure about a 3D SOR. But everyone and their brother complained about 4’s visuals and that game slapped. I’ll remain optimistic. Wonder who’s developing it.

Rran

I like the return of these classic series. I think the 2D in Shinobi is nice but I'm skeptical of 3D Streets of Rage and Golden Axe after SoR4 was so fantastic. Jet Set Radio and Crazy Taxi should be solid.

Nintendo should do one of these next! Gimme some new Rhythm Heaven, Ice Climber, Kid Icarus, Jam With the Band, and Starfy.

Sigh, all that and no new Panzer Dragoon.

Shinobi looks like a nifty indie game but not like the Shinobi I want at all (really I'm only a fan of the original, Shadow Dancer and whichever other one plays similar to those instead of what they did to the series when it went console centric, the Rolling Thunder clones), more like Mark of the Ninja.

Golden Axe looks about as misguided as their last attempt with it in the PS3 era but surely they must know that would suck and actually make this one decent instead?

Streets of Rage going full 3D too, yikes, I thought the last did decently for being 2D, do people even like any 3D brawler more than the 2D classics?

Jet Set Radio looks promising. Crazy Taxi I have no idea what they're gonna try and do with it, visually it wasn't that interesting.
Okay, Debbie Downer.

CamHostage

mfC3LVD.png

Feel free to add one of those little pointy arrows to "AND MORE" if you need it in conversation...

Last edited:

CamHostage

I'm game. They look mostly cool off first glance but i dunno about the Streets of Rage change. I thought you had a good thing going with Streets of Rage 4 so I expected something similar.

Nothing to say they can't have both "canonical" 2D SoR sequels plus this new 3D reboot. SEGA is trying to make movie/TV show spin-offs of its brands, and Streets of Rage is already in development with John Wick teammembers involved, so they may be aggressive with this brand in particular. Lizardcube and DotEmu are busy companies, so I wouldn't say SEGA is scorning them by doing something else with the brand right now. (SoR4 seemed to do pretty well, and beat-em-ups are making a bit of a comeback, so we'll see how things go.)

Last edited:

Holammer

...Why isn't every publisher doing this?

These games all seem mid-scale (going by the trailer content, I'm guessing some of which was pitch-trailer content,) and I would guess not all of them are actually developed in-house by SEGA, but that's perfectly appropriate. Don't lose your minds with a AAAA reimagining that tries to push these franchises beyond what they are; just make very good games in honor of the roots (with some new gameplay technology and perspectives and such... most of these radical reinventions, but they still all have connection to the gamplay of the past than modern play systems; Shinobi is the only one of these in 2D like its own forebearers, and yet even that's a totally new look and style.) Find developers who can do something cool with the brand and make a good game, hopefully a great game. Then, make more of them.
Do what Games Workshop does, offer a license for a Sega IP to small indie studios (and funding if required). A metaphorical golden ticket.
Successes will rise to the top, failures sink to the bottom and quickly forgotten.

CamHostage

Do what Games Workshop does, offer a license for a Sega IP to small indie studios (and funding if required). A metaphorical golden ticket.
Successes will rise to the top, failures sink to the bottom and quickly forgotten.

Yep, that's my first guess at how SEGA is able to get so much done here with brands it hasn't touched in ages. My assumption is that these are all third-party collaborations, that SEGA found developers it was interested in working with and opened up the archive for them.

I could be wrong, but that's how I imagine this worked out? We'll see...

Square Enix was doing that "here are our old brands, what can you do with them?" approach a little bit with its Square Enix Collective program, but they only offered their crustiest brands and none of those projects (of the few one licensed games that actually shipped through Collective) turned out well. So it probably can't just be an open warehouse if SEGA still wants to maintain its rep of products with its name on it, (Games Workshop is interested in other things besides video games,) but I feel like it's the only hope for so many brands which deserve respectful returns.

Last edited:
Top Bottom