• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Gears of War 5 Screenshot

Riven326

Banned
They could have done anything with Gears 4 and they just played it so safe. It's hard for me to be excited for, what is essentially the same game over and over.

Riven326

Banned
Okay tell us what did you want different with Gears 4
I wanted innovations to gameplay, specifically the movement, and I wanted them to address the lack of a jump button, the complete lack of vertical gameplay. I wanted the game to not feel like something out of 2006.

Storywise I wanted something more original and unexpected. I wanted to be surprised at the direction they decided to take it in. But thatcdidnt happen. What we got was a lame resurgence narrative and reskinned locust that aren't as fun to fight. And the mind numbingly dull robots.

For characters we got three newbies that aren't anywhere near as fun to be around, much less play as, Marcus and delta squad. If they weren't going to put the effort into fleshing out these new characters and at least try to make us care, what was the point?

I guess that about covers it. Gears 4 wasn't bad. It was just an average Gears game. I played Uncharted 4 before Gears 4. Playing Gears 4 was like going back to 2006. It's shocking just how little the series has changed overtime. It feels really old to me at this point.

DanielsM

Banned
That could be applied to a lot of sequels. And, if they change it too much then there will be backlash. It’s very hard for developers to please the masses.

To me they did change from 1 -> Judgment, at least from the campaign portion. They went with a dark, horror, and smaller squad cover shooter feeling to larger, epic scale, and less horror/dark elements i.e. a typical adventure game. I feel like the campaigns got worse as the series went along, although I haven't played 4 (so no opinion there).

I do appreciate your comment as to the masses, and that is an important element. Something I have been mentioning in the Days Gone OT, meaning the first 10-12 hours of the game is more of a survival horror feel, many people don't like that portion of the game, but I love it. The thing is, that type of game play is probably capped as far as sales though. And to a certain extent, that was GOW play style was, but to me they are trying to please the "masses" too much.

It may sound strange but, if FROM SOFTWARE tried to make games for the super masses, they'll be out of business. I don't think every games needs to target the masses, in some ways the original Gears of War didn't, but it was still a success.

Give me fast-paced shotty action or give me death.

I've never understood people who play gears and sit at the back lancering. Go play COD or battlefield you pussies.

Evilms

Banned
D8T_0ofU0AEQGKn.jpg:large

Shakka43

^Kait's face looks horrible there. I liked her Gears 4 design much better than what they have shown so far of 5's.

juliotendo

Gears of War is slowly running the risk of becoming stale.

The original when it launched was a big deal. Now, not so much. It’s basically Halo lite.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
I really hate her hair. No one can maintain a sidebangs like that for any amount of time involving physical activity of any degree.

Yeah I get hung up on the small things.

MDSLKTR

I really hate her hair. No one can maintain a sidebangs like that for any amount of time involving physical activity of any degree.

Yeah I get hung up on the small things.
Idk seems pretty empowering to me. Might need a dash of green though.

I wanted innovations to gameplay, specifically the movement, and I wanted them to address the lack of a jump button, the complete lack of vertical gameplay. I wanted the game to not feel like something out of 2006.

Storywise I wanted something more original and unexpected. I wanted to be surprised at the direction they decided to take it in. But thatcdidnt happen. What we got was a lame resurgence narrative and reskinned locust that aren't as fun to fight. And the mind numbingly dull robots.

For characters we got three newbies that aren't anywhere near as fun to be around, much less play as, Marcus and delta squad. If they weren't going to put the effort into fleshing out these new characters and at least try to make us care, what was the point?

I guess that about covers it. Gears 4 wasn't bad. It was just an average Gears game. I played Uncharted 4 before Gears 4. Playing Gears 4 was like going back to 2006. It's shocking just how little the series has changed overtime. It feels really old to me at this point.
Nah I don’t need any of that jumping crap
Gears isn’t halo or cod

The Alien

Banned
It's not great cover art....fortunately this will be digital purchase.

For some reason I care less about the art on digital purchases than I do for physical.

Top Bottom