• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

new Genso Suikoden: Tsumugareshi Hyakunen no Toki trailer w/ 5sec gameplay

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Oh gosh. I was thinking about the needles and the bones there too. But it's rather well-done. The colouration is pretty spot-on too.

My mom would kill me if I got a tattoo where she could see it and lament about how I'm ruining my skin, etc. And people don't really see me as the type to get one, hence hip being a good idea in my mind.

scy

Oh gosh. I was thinking about the needles and the bones there too. But it's rather well-done. The colouration is pretty spot-on too.

My mom would kill me if I got a tattoo where she could see it and lament about how I'm ruining my skin, etc. And people don't really see me as the type to get one, hence hip being a good idea in my mind.

Yeah, it came out really well considering I didn't exactly have the greatest of source images for it. Still looks good now after a few years.

I figured my family would freak out at it as well considering everything else I know about them; they were rather fine with it and any future ones I get. Was one of those strange moments that turned everything I thought I knew upside down, lol.

...It's really out that soon? Weird.

Someone needs to take one for the team so we can know how it is!

gameplay systems sound interesting.

the art is just......

maybe it's just a different artist for half the cast?

Yeah, Suikoden V had some clashing styles too.

subala.jpg

levi.jpg

Vs.

isabel.jpg

rahal.jpg

But it look much worse here.

Akselziys

Aksys Games Dev.
Famitsu review score:

02月09日発売■PSP:「幻想水滸伝 紡がれし百年の時」【7/8/7/8】

Famitsu review score:

02月09日発売■PSP:「幻想水滸伝 紡がれし百年の時」【7/8/7/8】

That's basically a failing grade in Famitsu. Disappointing.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The Official Site updated today, and it basically shows off the HQ. I've gotten pretty busy this week, so I hope you guys don't mind if I just post the screenshots and not directly translate?

Essentially, it's a point and click map. lol. They're joking, right?

1. Lithograph of Promise

Apparently this describes the techniques that are handed down person to person.

NX9wq.jpg

2. Kitchen

Once a day, you can make a meal in the kitchen.

Depending on what you eat, you can have a temporary buff. (I'm guessing it's like Genso Suikoden II's Toasty status when you eat spicy stuff.) In addition, you can have dinner events which will deepen the friendships between characters and you can get sub-jobs here.

Ob6Ez.png

3. Blacksmith

The blacksmith, armourer, and accessory crafters. There are three types of rings, which have various combat effects.

BAhMg.png

hFZy9.png

kskA3.png

4. Magic Stone Workshop

Magic Stone workshops create magic stones. They can make the kind of stones that pass on skills.

1kX0E.png

5. Bow and Arrow Workshop

This workshop can make bows and arrows out of consumables.

0h23O.png

6. Spell Stone Workshop

They make stones out of consumables that can cast magic spells.

geY2A.png

7. Medicine Shop

Can create medicines out of consumables.

e00hQ.png

8. Hunting Field

Clear out areas and get a variety of rewards. Clear missions in the time limit.

qeVPP.png

9. Dungeon

Set traps in various labyrinths and get potch and items from monsters.

VyCf6.png

JEKKI

it looks like Full Metal Alchemist.

has any1 ever seen that show?!?! that show was freakin tight!!!

it has Edward Elric going around fighting monsters and shyt...

and it looks like u can fight monsters in this game too!!!

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
As far as I can tell yeah. Admittedly, my little hype has decreased after seeing those shots. How terrible!

It isn't the point and click thing that's completely bothering me; it's the aesthetics. The colour palette doesn't look engaging at all. Seriously thinking of cancelling my preorder and waiting until it gets cheaper, but we'll see. I'm really leaning towards doing it, though. I'm not very encouraged to play this game after seeing that. :/

Some people already have the game, and the world map is indeed point-and-click based on what I've seen.

Anyway, Famitsu has some new/old screens. DEM TEXTURES and DAT COLOUR PALETTE, right? -_-

87FBs.jpg
cjdek.jpg

kUbL4.jpg
quwJy.jpg

SVNlZ.jpg

wRIGZ.jpg

Drama CD cover:

NfPti.jpg

They've also been doing an illustration countdown on their site leading up to the game's release date much like they did with Suikoden V. I've been a little busy lately and haven't really been keeping up outside of the first few, though.

I'll say this, though: I am definitely purchasing the soundtrack. I love what I've heard in the samples that KonamiStyle posted on their YT page, and a Genso Suikoden soundtrack has never let me down yet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
i don't get the appeal to these kinds of faces. must be some kind of anime trend i'm not aware of.
I don't like the character art much. Especially in comparison to Kawano, Ishikawa, or King. I'm not sure who did the designs for this game.

I'm really feeling torn here. Luckily, P-A hasn't charged me yet, but I'm still curious about the systems at least. :/

I'm happy that Suikoden is getting a new entry, better than getting nothing. Sure I'd also have preferred something tied to the originals but I believe that this can be somewhat of a bridge between these "spin-offs" and the possible return of the series with VI

At least it could be if this will sell well, even though it's not very likely to happen, given what I've been reading here.

Still I think I should enjoy this, the character designs are nice, the music seems good too. Still can't say anything about story and gameplay though... Point and click map is not good news to me, especially on a PSP.

I just hope that this gets an English release, it would take me ages to play this with my inefficient Japanese skills.

This game is going to bomb really badly, I feel.
I hope they aren't gauging an interest in producing part 6 through sales of this game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm happy that Suikoden is getting a new entry, better than getting nothing. Sure I'd also have preferred something tied to the originals but I believe that this can be somewhat of a bridge between these "spin-offs" and the possible return of the series with VI

At least it could be if this will sell well, even though it's not very likely to happen, given what I've been reading here.

Still I think I should enjoy this, the character designs are nice, the music seems good too. Still can't say anything about story and gameplay though... Point and click map is not good news to me, especially on a PSP.

I just hope that this gets an English release, it would take me ages to play this with my inefficient Japanese skills.
The narrative actually seems ok outside of the catalyst for the plot apparently being a tree. And to be fair, I think I've had my fair share of time travel plots in the past year, lol. (Sonic Generations, Sonic CD Retro Engine Edition, Rock of Ages, Radiant Historia, Steins;Gate, FFXIII-2, etc.)

I'm not sure if this will sell well, but the game has had its fair share of 'publicity' on the KonamiStyle page since they bundled it with the encyclopedia, and released the Frontier Gate Tir McDohl DLC with the FG OST. Given that both Frontier Gate and Beyond the Labyrinth didn't do well, I'm not sure this will do well either.

Sinobi posted a little something about Woven Web a few days ago, which thankfully gives me the Suikoden I Japanese sales numbers (though I believe it's for the PS1 only, and doesn't include the Saturn version of the game). They speculate that it'll do as well as Tierkreis. I'm inclined to agree, but I think it won't do as well.

Here are the sales numbers I had compiled before. It lacks the Japanese Suikoden I sales numbers because I couldn't find them until now. :D

I fixed the sales numbers, and hopefully we have a better list to work with. Let me know if I should add or correct something. I get the feeling that there will be an organizational error because I was doing three things at once while compiling this. Also, I suck at that code stuff, so I'm posting screencaps from Word. LOL.

UODaE.png

**EU sales excluded
N/A: Not available; can't find them
N/L: Not localized
T.B: Konami the Best
K.B.S: Konami Best Selection

Complete Sales for games that have budget versions:
Genso Suikoden III: 637 260
Genso Suikoden Tierkreis: 217 301
Genso Suikoden I+II: 56 838

Sources:
US Numbers as of June 2011
Genso Suikoden II JP sales
Genso Suikogaiden Vol 1 JP Sales
Genso Suikogaiden Vol 2 JP Sales
Rest of JP Sales, excluding previously mentioned titles

Given that this is a PSP game, and given we know how Konami operates, I'm not sure if this will see an English release. Here's to hoping, though... if it's actually good, I mean.

I hope they aren't gauging an interest in producing part 6 through sales of this game.
God, I hope not. :S

I don't like the character art much. Especially in comparison to Kawano, Ishikawa, or King. I'm not sure who did the designs for this game.

I'm really feeling torn here. Luckily, P-A hasn't charged me yet, but I'm still curious about the systems at least. :/

the game system sounds interesting. that might get you through the game, coupled with the soundtrack.

vall03

Given that this is a PSP game, and given we know how Konami operates, I'm not sure if this will see an English release. Here's to hoping, though... if it's actually good, I mean.

I hate myself, I've convinced myself since last year that this will not get localized but theres still this part in me hoping that it will get released... *sigh* why am I being so hopeful...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
the game system sounds interesting. that might get you through the game, coupled with the soundtrack.
The soundtrack sounds amazing~ CD Japan shipped my OST, so I'm happy with that.

Also P-A charged my card, so I guess I'll be getting the game in a few weeks? :lol

i don't know, but PW was the last konami game i personally bought on PSP.
I think it was the same for me. But Metal Gear is obviously higher on Konami's list of priorities, isn't it? The likelihood of PW being released on PSP in English was pretty high given the name behind it. PES is popular too, so I see that being released on all platforms it's available on.

Genso Suikoden seems much like an afterthought. I'll be interested in seeing whether Konami decides to localize it and put a digital version on PSN for Vita owners or something. But I don't really see it happening at this point in time.

The narrative actually seems ok outside of the catalyst for the plot apparently being a tree. And to be fair, I think I've had my fair share of time travel plots in the past year, lol. (Sonic Generations, Sonic CD Retro Engine Edition, Rock of Ages, Radiant Historia, Steins;Gate, FFXIII-2, etc.)

I'm not sure if this will sell well, but the game has had its fair share of 'publicity' on the KonamiStyle page since they bundled it with the encyclopedia, and released the Frontier Gate Tir McDohl DLC with the FG OST. Given that both Frontier Gate and Beyond the Labyrinth didn't do well, I'm not sure this will do well either.

Sinobi posted a little something about Woven Web a few days ago, which thankfully gives me the Suikoden I Japanese sales numbers (though I believe it's for the PS1 only, and doesn't include the Saturn version of the game). They speculate that it'll do as well as Tierkreis. I'm inclined to agree, but I think it won't do as well.

Here are the sales numbers I had compiled before. It lacks the Japanese Suikoden I sales numbers because I couldn't find them until now. :D

Good thing about the plot, it's my most important criteria when playing RPGs, even more than gameplay. Though the fact that we're living in a new time travel boom era is true. Considering that I just finished Radiant Historia and Profesor Layton and the Unwound Future only makes it more apparent!

The sales data of past Suikoden is very interesting, but it's disheartening to see how much Suikoden V underperformed, especially in regards of IV (my least favorite in the series).

You know it's true and that there's nothing... nothing... nothing we can do about it! Except maybe buying 100 copies each...

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Soooo, I've been reading around, and apparently Japanese players think--as I had anticipated, btw--that the plot is rather Suikoden-esque, but like Tierkreis, it doesn't 'feel' like a Genso Suikoden game. They also think it's rather average, which is pretty much in-line with the Famitsu score. They really dislike that the HQ map is point and click... much like I am!

Apparently battles are quicker than we think, but we'll see. The camera kinda sucks. There is one character--aside from the Main Character--who is a required member of the party for most of the game (think Gremio, Nanami, Lyon, etc), so basically you only have four slots to play with and experiment with characters.

A lot of them are reminiscing about the past and wishing that the game was like Genso Suikoden I or II. At least, that's what the complaints on the Amazon Japan reviews page are like.

Of course, the game's only been out for a day, so the amazon reviews might be the 'jumping the gun' reviews. I haven't read much about the battle or ability systems yet, and that's what I'm most interested in.

I'm personally waiting for the mk2 reviews, tbh.

Good thing about the plot, it's my most important criteria when playing RPGs, even more than gameplay. Though the fact that we're living in a new time travel boom era is true. Considering that I just finished Radiant Historia and Profesor Layton and the Unwound Future only makes it more apparent!

The sales data of past Suikoden is very interesting, but it's disheartening to see how much Suikoden V underperformed, especially in regards of IV (my least favorite in the series).
The thing about time travel, though, the boom in the narrative concept hasn't really soured me on it. FFXIII-2 did play a small role in diminishing my like for it, though. I should just play Chrono Trigger or something and rekindle my love affair of the concept.

Yeah, ever since Genso Suikoden III, the series' sales have been diminishing. I do not think this game is going to do very well at all given the complaints so far. Whether they're nostalgia-based or not, I'm not sure. I'm guessing that people went into this game expecting a mainline Suikoden game. I'm going into the game with extremely low expectations since a lot of the screens and lack of media have just turned me off to a lot of the game.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm personally waiting for the mk2 reviews, tbh.

Same. If it's a good rpg with a Suikoden feel that's enough to get me to play it. But if it's an average rpg that just sort of feels kind of like Suikoden at times...pass.

How did Tierkreis score over there?

Who is doing the soundtrack btw?

Just got the game ...gonna try it as soon as i get back from work ( and after my bateries charge )..

expect to hear my impressions sunday

oh yeah

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Same. If it's a good rpg with a Suikoden feel that's enough to get me to play it. But if it's an average rpg that just sort of feels kind of like Suikoden at times...pass.

How did Tierkreis score over there?

Who is doing the soundtrack btw?
Seems like it's pretty average based on Japanese early impressions, but I'd rather rely on mk2 as well.

Tierkreis's mk2 score was an average of 69/B ("doesn't feel like a Suikoden game, etc). Its Famitsu score was 34/40 (9898). IIRC, Famitsu said that Tierkreis was the game that everyone was waiting for, that the story was good and the battle system was great. They said there were no obvious flaws to be found. I didn't get to see what they said about Woven Web other than the score, unfortunately.

As for the soundtrack, I have no idea. D: I know that Chiaki Ishikawa is doing the theme song, but outside of that, I don't know anything about the composers. I'd wager they're similar to Tierkreis's or Frontier Gate's sound staff. Not even KonamiStyle's page for the soundtrack has a listing for the composers involved, and their YouTube samples don't have the soundtrack composers listed either.

I checked the VGMdb page and nothing, and I haven't gotten my copy of the soundtrack yet so I don't know. :|

The music samples on KonamiStyle's page are pretty great, though.

Just got the game ...gonna try it as soon as i get back from work ( and after my bateries charge )..

expect to hear my impressions sunday

oh yeah
Lucky! Post impressions when you're further in.

Shouta

Oudou has a slightly more positive connotation compared to "by the book" though. Tierkreis was a good game with a few shortcomings. The whole "It doesn't feel like Suikoden!" is such a hazy complaint that it's a little annoying, heh. It's not new I guess though, the Suikoden fanbase, or whatever is left of it, has been complaining since Suikoden 3 about one thing or another so meh.

Anyway, I've started it a little but I haven't gotten too far yet, only about 20 minutes. The 3D graphics are bad for sure but they try to avoid using it except during battles by tossing in a lot of talking with anime portraits and the like. The dungeon camera is set at an incredibly weird angle as well for whatever reason. Battles seem to be quick though and it runs on a kiryoku/morale system now and magic stones. There are also jobs as well. It's a little weird and a little nice. I like the menus and general presentation and there seems to be quite a bit of voice-acting which is good. I'll put in some more time with it tonight.

more impression tomorrow ( hopefully ) but the town "maps" are such a downgrade it's unbelievable.. i guess it's the price for the limited space on UMD.. it remind me of the downgrade from P3:FES to P3P ..

Story start slow ( like most suikoden) i probably have n't seen the "sh*t hit the fan moment " that every suikoden must have.. a good start at least ..

No town exploration has really curbed my enthusiasm, we can't win now, if we don't by the game they'll think we don't want Suikoden, if we do buy it they'll think they're taking the series in the right direction. For a PSP game I would have been ecstatic with a Suikoden II-style engine, the animation in that game still impresses me now.

Spiegel

more impression tomorrow ( hopefully ) but the town "maps" are such a downgrade it's unbelievable.. i guess it's the price for the limited space on UMD.. it remind me of the downgrade from P3:FES to P3P ..

Story start slow ( like most suikoden) i probably have n't seen the "sh*t hit the fan moment " that every suikoden must have.. a good start at least ..

More like limited budget

Shouta

I think a more appropriate word for it would be orthodox.

Yeah, I really wasn't thinking of synonyms though.

Anyway, got the first hour or so in and I really liked it so far. Very good introduction to the setting and very complete too. It describes the concepts you need for the story and gets rid or explains some stuff that would trip up most folks. The characters are pretty good so far as well.

Story Spoilers for the fisrt hour/two:

The game starts with 3 characters hunting some Soldier Boars at a local, Geeno, Myura, and the Hero. Some silly banter occurs between them. Myura and Geeno are related, Myura being the oldest of the 3 and often calls Geeno an idiot. After they finish talking they enter the fort to take on the boars, battle introduction starts. After completing that a short cutscene occurs where Myura and the hero talk about the tree being a bit unique in that in the entire time they've seen it, it's never flowered or had fruit. It's rather mysterious to them, perhaps special but they shrug it off and head back to the settlement.

On the way back to the settlement, they encounter the village elder/leader/chief. He's going to a nearby town to discuss some issues with the leader there, specifically in regards to getting ready for the coming of the Centennial Fiend (as I recall anyway, I just got up). They chat for a bit and he asks the 3 of them to guard the village while he's gone and they leave. The three then head into town and explore a bit before heading back to rest at their place.

The following day, they wake up to find out that a small regiment of troops from the Aionian Empire is marching towards the village. They haven't had very good relations with them and they're worried that if they left them into the village while the leader is gone, they could forcefully take over or if they don't, they could have reinforcements come later and take the village after squatting while the leader returns. The trio head off to ask them to leave.

They run off to the Easter highway and encounter the soldiers and their leader, Dukass. Some antagonistic talk starts off the conversation with a bit of bantering mixed in. There's mention of a skirmish a few years ago that claimed the life of Signei, the hero's mother, and is part of the reason why there's some animosity towards the Empire on the part of the trio. After digressing a bit. they return to the main issue at end and the trio asks Dukass to have his soldier's go back because the mayor is gone. The soldiers themselves object but Dukass thems not to worry about it and that trying to fight through a powerful swordsman and magician would be a pain in the ass. So they decide to fall back. After leaving, the trio remark that Dukass was extremely skilled and he was actually bluffing for their sake to his subordinates.

With the soldiers gone, they decide to head back to the settlement when they sense the presence of a monster they've never encountered before. They turn back and see this weird purple thing with 4 legs, a huge mouth and no eyes. They suspect this is the Centennial Fiend that was due back now and they get ready to fight it. Before beginning they tell Geeno to run back to the settlement and warn them. He tells them he'll be back with help and runs off. The monster starts spitting out little butterfly critters and they engage in a fight with them and finish it. However, the monster just spits out more and they try to fight again but can't keep up with all of those critters. So the two of them make a run for the fort. The monster gives chase but stops after they arrive there, clearly showing some kind of reaction to the area itself.

While taking a short breather and discussing how potentially dangerous the situation is, and noting that the monster didn't follow them, they realize that the tree at the fort had flowers on it now for the first time ever. They go to investigate and remark at how strange it is when they meet a dark-skinned, white-haired boy in a white robe. He introduces himself as Zephon and tells them that he has a way of helping them and giving them the strength to defeat the monster. He gives the a gem and tells him to touch a tree. Myura is suspicious of the boy but the hero does it anyway. The tree starts to glow and they're engulfed in a white light.

When the light disappears, they look around and think nothing happened. However, when they turn around, they realize that the fort's walls are all intact and not disrepair like it normally was. Zephon mentions that this is 100 years into the past. Myura dismisses this as an illusion but they go to investigate.

When they go looking, they encounter a young man who calls out to them. He immediately recognizes the hero's style and posturing and says that he's a Blue Flash style (or whatever fancy translation you want) swordsman like himself. He thinks this is strange though as he would know other practitioners. He introduces himself as Towald. The hero and Myura are taken a back as that's the name of the Hero from a century ago that defeated the Centennial Fiend.

Myura thinks that this guy might be in on the scam with Zephon but the Hero notices the short sword that Towald is carrying. It's the very same sword he got from his mother, who said that it was a family heirloom passed down through the family line. Towald mentions that he got it from a master swordsman/smith (don't remember which off the top of my head) and he hadn't heard about another. But when Myura looks at it closely, she realizes the two swords have the exact same remarks while Towald and the Hero confirm it. It's the very same sword. This confirms that they traveled 100 years into the past like Zephon had said.

Realizing the luck they have, they tell him of the situation and ask him to help them defeat the monster. They go to the tree and Zephon says, "Oh, he's going with us? Well, I guess it's all right." and they proceed to touch the tree. When the white light dissipates they don't see Towald and Zephon mentions that the Generation/Epoch Tree doesn't take people forward, only backward. He goes on to explain that nothing comes forward, not even items. Myura complains and says it's hopeless and that they can't defeat the monster. However, the hero has an idea and they decide to go back.

The arrive and apologize to Towald about not being able to take him to the future and blames Zephon for not telling them earlier (Zephon's been playing with them). Towald fully believes their story now. Afterwards, the Hero asks Towald to teach him swordsmanship so he can defeat the monster as no person or item can travel to the present. Towald agrees and and estimates it'll take 2 or 3 days to complete the training. They go to learn the technique in the forest as Towald needs real enemies to do so. At the bridge outside of the fort, Towald mentions the soldier boars were in abundance right now and had to be taken care of. Myura and the Hero comment that they were still a problem in the past and must be the reason why the fort was all busted up. Towald takes notice of that but decides to continue on. They engage the boars and he shows off the technique several times with the Hero imitating him. After only 3 battles though, a light engulfs the hero and he learns the technique for himself. Everyone notices this and mentions at how odd it is. Zephon says that he knew it would happen and Myura gets made at him. Zephon just says that she could learn techniques too as Towald likely had a magician in his group as well. After a bit more bantering they head to the tree and jump 100 years to the future.

When they get back, they realize the fort walls are fixed like in the past. For an instant they think they're still in the past but Zephon says this their time. At that moment, Aunt Lurusa comes looking for them and asks them what they're doing. They're taking aback as she should've been at the village. She just mentions she's in the kitchen at the fort like she always is. They aren't sure what they're talking about but will sort it out later as they need to take care of the beast. Lurusa tells them to get magic stones from Geeno's workshop which surprises both of them but they do and then proceed to go fight the monster.

Using the technique he learned from Towald, the Hero cuts through 3 waves of the monster butterflies and runs to the village with Myura. When they reach the area, they realize that the settlement is in ruins and bodies are strewn all over the place, they were too late. A voice calls out to them and they find Geeno propped up against a wall, bloodied. He comments that they finally got here. They tried what they could to stop them but failed. He makes a few more comments after telling the Hero to take care of his older sister before dying. Myura tries to keep him awake but when she realizes he's died, she cries and screams at the top of her lungs.

After recovering they run out of the village and decide to go find the village leader and inform him of what's going on to prevent more deaths from happening. Zephon shows up and makes an somewhat inconsiderate comment and the two berate him for it. He then tells them that they're forgetting something. They can change the past to prevent this from happening. The tree (the only item that seems to not be affected by the limitations) prevents the monster from entering the fort so why not try that? The realize that this could be possible as the fort walls were fixed and go to take a sapling from the tree to do so.

They rush into the past and see Towald again who wasn't expecting them back so soon. The Hero and Myura say that they'll talk with him later about it and rush off to plant the tree. As they leave the battleground they were fighting in earlier towards the settlement, a white light engulfs them and they're returned to the present near the tree again. They go once more into the past and berate Zephon for not telling them. He says he would if they weren't running off all the time. They get thrown into the present when they wander off too far from the tree as it's the tree's power that keeps them in the past. Unsure of what to do, Towald says he can plant it for them because he isn't restricted. He tells them to hurry up and head back to the present to see the results and wishes them luck.

They head back to the present and rush off back to the settlement. They find the tree is in full bloom and are amazed. Then a voice calls out to them and it's Geeno. He complains that they're late but Myura just rushes him and gives him a huge hug. He protests but she calls him an idiot. The Hero just says to let her do what she wants. After wards, the villagers come out and talk to the pair. They can't believe they chased the monster away. After some talk everyone leaves and then Lurusa runs up talking about the seeing the town destroyed and then it being back again. They tell her she's tired and to go rest, worried that she saw what happened there like they had.

The two look at the tree and the hero voices a few reservations about what he's done. He's not really sure what but he feels something. Zephon shows up and tells them that they don't have to be guilty of anything. He mentions the concept of the Million Worlds. It's not really a million but a concept to explain the infinite number of worlds out there and that theirs is just one of those. What happens is that when you go into the past and change an event, the present that you changed doesn't get erased. It continues on but the present you experience branches off. It's similar to how a tree has branches that split off after being broken or changed. Rather than not existing anymore, a new branch comes out. He then goes on to explain that normally time-travelling would cause a paradox would occur where they end up erasing the reason why they needed to go into the past and it couldn't be resolved without the use of the Million Worlds cnocept. He tells them they don't have to feel guilty about anything and just keep on.

The two don't really understand what Zephon is saying but he just says to not worry about it too much and do what they need to. Zephon sets off to do some other business leaving the two to do their thing. He tells them to take a sapling from this tree just in case they need to use it in the future because it'd be a pain in the ass to come back and get it when they need it before he sets off.

Myura and the hero talk a bit more and decide to go find the leader and tell him what's going on when he comes back with his group. They describe the situation and he mentions that he didn't expect for it to happen while he was away. he then asks the kids to go to the village he was just at and discuss getting their security precautions sped up in case the monster should attack the neighboring village like it did with theirs. He says to take Iria with them to get the talking down faster. Myura mentions that Iria is that village leader's daughter though Iria says that she's not related by blood. Iria joins the party and they set off with Geeno heading back to his workshop to make more magic stones.

At any rate, I was pretty happy that the characters are somewhat lively and interesting rather than just bland and that they explained things well. It really makes the Tree motif clear for this game as well which is great. Combat isn't bad so far, relatively fast it's still early on so it'll remain to be seen how it develops.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I didn't think making an OP was necessary because not a lot of us are getting it, and no one really seems to care much, so I didn't bother with it.

Yeah, I really wasn't thinking of synonyms though.

Anyway, got the first hour or so in and I really liked it so far. Very good introduction to the setting and very complete too. It describes the concepts you need for the story and gets rid or explains some stuff that would trip up most folks. The characters are pretty good so far as well.

*spoiler text which I didn't read :D*

At any rate, I was pretty happy that the characters are somewhat lively and interesting rather than just bland and that they explained things well. It really makes the Tree motif clear for this game as well which is great. Combat isn't bad so far, relatively fast it's still early on so it'll remain to be seen how it develops.
Thanks for the impressions, Shouta. If the narrative and characters are pretty awesome, there's hope for this yet. Is the combat really fast? Because from the video, it seemed a little slow due to the text scrolling to say what you're doing.

I heard the camera is controlled with the D-pad?

Also, how is balancing and difficulty in terms of combat?

I won't be getting my copy until maybe next week or the week after since I did the same thing I always do and didn't pay for express shipping. :D

Are they like Suikoden Tactics/Tierkreis maps (ie: click on the option to go there!)? So disappointing, but I guess they were operating on a small budget.

My boyfriend: "I watched some gameplay on a stream and I don't know why you're even buying this. It looks so ugly and boring and the music's not good."
:lol :lol

Tookay

It really is sad. But I guess it's not surprising. IV pretty much poisoned the well. I wouldn't be surprised if people stayed away from the series after that. I almost did.

More like limited budget

Still a total shame
Thanks for the impressions, Shouta. If the narrative and characters are pretty awesome, there's hope for this yet. Is the combat really fast? Because from the video, it seemed a little slow due to the text scrolling to say what you're doing.

Are they like Suikoden Tactics/Tierkreis maps (ie: click on the option to go there!)? So disappointing, but I guess they were operating on a small budget.

My boyfriend: "I watched some gameplay on a stream and I don't know why you're even buying this. It looks so ugly and boring and the music's not good."

i kinda enjoy the characters for now .
Combat is not fast but not slow.... i don't really pay attention to the text scrolling ..not an issue really.

You can switch control scheme ... you can move with d-pad and move the cam with analog ...or switch to do the opposite ..But i miss not controlling the camera with L & R (too)...

The town maps are point&click you can either bring a list of places to go or move the cursor to the place you wanna go to.

The game doesn't feel ugly at all ..quite the opposite ..it's lacking in some small details but it feels fine, really.

Shouta

I won't be getting my copy until maybe next week or the week after since I did the same thing I always do and didn't pay for express shipping. :D

At least so far, it's a solid narrative and introduction and the characters aren't bad. I don't know if it'll stay that way for the entire game, It's just the first hour or so and that's not really a good gauge of the full story, but on the other hand Tierkreis was pretty good on that end as well so maybe it'll hold.

Combat is fairly fast, I mean it isn't like Suiko 1 or 2 but it's probably III/IV/V speed I guess. been awhile though

Camera is indeed D-pad and it's a weird angle, really weird angle.

I don't know how balanced combat is, I've only had a few easy fights early on so.

more than ever after hours of play ..it's just a shame that i have the option to switch movement and camera from Dpad to analog ..but no option at all to move the cam with L & R ...coupled with the habitude the cam has to just move to show you the "right" way in fields for example.. it's just "annoying" ..

i'm probably not that far from "shouta" ( busy day ) but aside for this complain i'm enjoying it...

Pesmerga00

Thanks for the impressions. R_thanatos and Shouta. I'm still on the fence with this one. The point and click Map/HQ is a big negative for me. As well as the whole alternate dimension thing obviously.The art is really hit or miss as well. I really wish there were a proper S6, but who knows if that will ever happen.(I wanna go to Harmonia!)

I think this is my first post. Though. I have been approved for nearly 2 years. What can I say? I'm a lurker at heart. LOL. I guess Suikoden pushed me over the edge.

Dark Schala. I just wanted to say that your info posts and translations are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Top Bottom