• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Girl Season 4 |OT| Tuesdays 9/8c on FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Loving this season so far. I really hope nothing bad happens to the show and it ends up getting "Fox-ed". I'm surprised it made it to season 4. But if it ever ends I want it to be on their terms and not a sudden Fox cancellation.

"I just put $5 in the jukebox. We got a Paula Cole rock block comin' our way."

KidJr

I dont know what episode your are on in the US but we just had the episode where Jess gave Coach a job at her school.

Maybe one of the funniest episodes I've ever seen. I was high though so that may have had a part to play.

"Court room brown"

Dereck

Bartender. Remember he was the one that was starting to train Cece.
DOH!

I dont know what episode your are on in the US but we just had the episode where Jess gave Coach a job at her school.

Maybe one of the funniest episodes I've ever seen. I was high though so that may have had a part to play.

"Court room brown"
That's an episode from season 3, and I liked that one

Linius

Yes guys, absolutely great episode. Only the Jess part didn't do much for me. Luckily Coach safed that for the most part. Winston on the phone was gold :lol

big ander

Quintessential New Girl right there. Perfect example of how the show is a well-oiled traditional sitcom on a skeletal level, but the connective tissue is weird and funny. Schmidt and Winston's yo/hello absurdness, Winston liking to go to the driving range to watch, Goesinya, Nick being so gung-ho about being a secretary. fantastic episode, even though the Jess plot was a bit underdone.

Linius

Yeah, because of all the references to it I couldn't ignore it any longer. And I love it. Almost gone trough the first season, only the last episode left.

Alpende

I didn't like the episode at all. The way it progressed was just stupid, oh let met just throw this huge back of stuff at you and it magically falls apart! And then let me throw a handful of rocks at a closed trashcan and wonder why it doesn't work!

I'll watch one more episode and then give up. Jess sucks.

Dereck

Have you started watching Marry Me?
I've heard about Benched and Marry Me, and the reason why I haven't watched these shows yet is because I would be watching them with "these were Happy Endings actresses, so it should be similar right?", which would probably result in me unfairly disliking the shows.

Banzai

new episode was amazing, its been a while since a sitcom has made me laugh like this.

nick is just hilarious. i love it when he moonwalks awkwardly

big ander

I've heard about Benched and Marry Me, and the reason why I haven't watched these shows yet is because I would be watching them with "these were Happy Endings actresses, so it should be similar right?", which would probably result in me unfairly disliking the shows.

Marry Me is A LOT like Happy Endings IMO.

yeah marry me is created and showrun by David Caspe of Happy Endings, has Happy Endings writers on the staff, stars Casey Wilson, and begins with a marriage-related hook before partially ditching it to focus on ensemble stuff. and the members of the ensemble even correspond to Happy Endings ensemble members: Ken Marino is basically the Brad to Casey Wilson's half-Jane half-Penny, Jon Gemberling is Gil aka new dave, Kay is Max except lesbian instead of gay, Sarah Wright/Dennah is ditzy happy Alex. Marry me would be too similar to Happy Endings had that show not been canceled before its time.

Marry me isnt even on the same level as happy endings.

on topic though this weeks new girl was great. nick sweating and coach trying to pick up the kid

big ander

happy endings at the beginning wasn't on the level of happy endings. everyone forgets how bad that show was for nearly a dozen eps. marry me's been improving faster than HE did.

Linius

I keep reading that people didn't like Happy Endings much for the first season, I loved it. A few 'meh' episodes but a lot of great stuff. The dude living in the attic was probably the best thing from the first season. I'm now on the second episode of season 2.

About New Girl then, this episode was easily the best one this season. And they've been back on track most of this season so that says something. Nick was once again incredible. The only scene that was a bit off was Coach trying to get a boy in his car, that was just a bunch of weak lines and cheap jokes. The lady doing the inspection was also great I have to add.

And the new intro indeed does suck, too bad they killed the old one. Even though it didn't really stand for what the show is these days anyways. Since it's less Jess focused, thank God for that.

I keep reading that people didn't like Happy Endings much for the first season, I loved it. A few 'meh' episodes but a lot of great stuff. The dude living in the attic was probably the best thing from the first season. I'm now on the second episode of season 2.

About New Girl then, this episode was easily the best one this season. And they've been back on track most of this season so that says something. Nick was once again incredible. The only scene that was a bit off was Coach trying to get a boy in his car, that was just a bunch of weak lines and cheap jokes. The lady doing the inspection was also great I have to add.

And the new intro indeed does suck, too bad they killed the old one. Even though it didn't really stand for what the show is these days anyways. Since it's less Jess focused, thank God for that.
I'm glad they realized the Nick/Jess relationship was turning things into a complete bore. It just wasn't working.

They also seem to realize that Schmidt/Cece flirting and potential getting
back
together was something that really worked, too.

That and Nick just being a complete space cadet and Winston being ... well, Winston.

We need another "Winston goes overboard on a practical joke" episode.

Moobabe

I'm glad they realized the Nick/Jess relationship was turning things into a complete bore. It just wasn't working.

They also seem to realize that Schmidt/Cece flirting and potential getting
back
together was something that really worked, too.

That and Nick just being a complete space cadet and Winston being ... well, Winston.

We need another "Winston goes overboard on a practical joke" episode.

I might be on my own here - but I'm not crazy about the direction Nick's character has taken post break up.

He's at his peak in season 2/3 - a loveable idiot who's lost in life. In season 4, so far, he's just completely idiotic and pathetic.

I might be on my own here - but I'm not crazy about the direction Nick's character has taken post break up.

He's at his peak in season 2/3 - a loveable idiot who's lost in life. In season 4, so far, he's just completely idiotic and pathetic.

So I'll agree they haven't done enough with his weird mechanical fixes in a while, which was something I always thought was interesting about him. They should have an episode where shit at the bar keeps breaking and he goes all McGuyver on everything to keep it running. Then some IP lawyer is in there and says "Dude, you should totally patent that." and we're off and running with Nick wanting/not-wanting to become an inventor.

As for Coach, I agree he has some good stuff and some crap stuff. They all kind of do. I see why they tried to keep Nick/Jess together, so they could "group" them to ensure a decent amount of air time. That didn't work, so now they have all these characters and they're trying to keep some pacing to it.

If you think about Friends, they solved his by having Chandler/Monica get together and the whole Ross/Rachel "will they/they did/they aren't/they do" thing. It allowed for a lot of focus on all the characters because they had the right chemistry for their pairings.

Nick/Jess just didn't work from a chemistry perspective. I think they wind up going back to Schmidt/Cece together because frankly that worked very well.

Moobabe

So I'll agree they haven't done enough with his weird mechanical fixes in a while, which was something I always thought was interesting about him. They should have an episode where shit at the bar keeps breaking and he goes all McGuyver on everything to keep it running. Then some IP lawyer is in there and says "Dude, you should totally patent that." and we're off and running with Nick wanting/not-wanting to become an inventor.

As for Coach, I agree he has some good stuff and some crap stuff. They all kind of do. I see why they tried to keep Nick/Jess together, so they could "group" them to ensure a decent amount of air time. That didn't work, so now they have all these characters and they're trying to keep some pacing to it.

If you think about Friends, they solved his by having Chandler/Monica get together and the whole Ross/Rachel "will they/they did/they aren't/they do" thing. It allowed for a lot of focus on all the characters because they had the right chemistry for their pairings.

Nick/Jess just didn't work from a chemistry perspective. I think they wind up going back to Schmidt/Cece together because frankly that worked very well.

I agree with the Nick/Jess relationship not working - I think it had some good moments, and it had been brewing for a long time, but overall it always felt like it was going nowhere.

Schmidt and Cece works, the two of them have really good chemistry.

My favourite relationship in New Girl has always been Schmidt and Nick though - and I think when that dynamic is off the whole show struggles as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom