• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Girl Season 4 |OT| Tuesdays 9/8c on FOX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

I might be on my own here - but I'm not crazy about the direction Nick's character has taken post break up.

He's at his peak in season 2/3 - a loveable idiot who's lost in life. In season 4, so far, he's just completely idiotic and pathetic.

They did make Nick kind of fool. Much like in Parks & Rec. Andy went dumber and dumber every season, in an even heavier degree. But I guess because Johnson is just a really good actor (imo) they still pull it off quite alright. That scene with him and the captain in a room made him look like a big goofball but he played it out very well. They really like to use the fact that Nick can't keep secrets anyways, something that keeps returning over the years.

Oh and I'd like to see something involving Tran again. Nick and Tran are perfect together. Just like that homless guy who came from the future or something :p

They did make Nick kind of fool. Much like in Parks & Rec. Andy went dumber and dumber every season, in an even heavier degree. But I guess because Johnson is just a really good actor (imo) they still pull it off quite alright. That scene with him and the captain in a room made him look like a big goofball but he played it out very well. They really like to use the fact that Nick can't keep secrets anyways, something that keeps returning over the years.

Oh and I'd like to see something involving Tran again. Nick and Tran are perfect together. Just like that homless guy who came from the future or something :p

Spoiler in case you don't want to know future events
they casted some girl to play Tran's daughter who I believe Nick will start dating

Linius

People call me gay Nick

God damn, this episode was so good again. Nick was killing it. The scenes with Schmidt and Nick and Scmidt with Coach and Winston were brilliant. I love the way they bounce. Great follow up to last weeks episode, hopefully they can continue this.

Dereck

H6UTw9Z.gif

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
A friend once told me people who don't find this show funny objectively have no sense of humor. I've never wanted to watch New Girl since.

Maybe it's time I get over his pretentious attitude (I can' think of a better descriptor).

A friend once told me people who don't find this show funny objectively have no sense of humor. I've never wanted to watch the show since.

Maybe it's time I get over his pretentious attitude (I can' think of a better descriptor).

yeah do it

feel free to skip any episodes in S1 or S3 you find shitty, but make sure you watch all of S2/4 (so far) because daaaamn it's good

Vico

This week's episode was great, again.
Nick and Shmidt were hilarious. It cannot be said enough, the cast is perfect.

TripOpt55

This episode was great. Gay Nick was hilarious and I loved the gag with Schmidt talking about "his friends" at the neighbors' place.

The devolution of Winston's characters has been tough to watch. He used to be my favorite chaeacter now he's just the shows butt monkey who received virtually no development past being someone people feel sorry for

The devolution of Winston's characters has been tough to watch. He used to be my favorite chaeacter now he's just the shows butt monkey who received virtually no development past being someone people feel sorry for

Winston just slept with Alexandra Dadarrio. I dont feel sorry for him.

He has turned into a buffoon, but his lines are so absurd and his delivery is perfect. He cracks me up every time.

Dice//

Banned
He has turned into a buffoon, but his lines are so absurd and his delivery is perfect. He cracks me up every time.

Honestly I love Winston for just owning that weirdness about him. It sucks he doesn't get more centric-time, but he always has some weird brilliant golden nugget of line delivery.

bud

9wk83Kf.png

this man is honestly one of the worst actors i have ever seen.

all he does is smile.
that's all he does.

Linius

9wk83Kf.png

this man is honestly one of the worst actors i have ever seen.

all he does is smile.
that's all he does.

He did deliver the roundy yums line. Other than that I hope he's not becoming a regular.

Oh and the blanket joke was legit. And this was the first episode I noticed they have a Coachella poster hanging next to the door at the apartment. I suppose that's Nick's doing.

big ander

Alright, so, to get gushy-- I think this is the best sitcom on TV. And, in my mind at least, will be the defining traditional sitcom of the 2010s. It's just perfectly calibrated hilarity, with impeccable cast chemistry and a deft hand at taking plots exactly where they need to go. Sure some stuff is kind of incongruous or too cartoonish--neat-freak Schmidt not knowing how to do laundry? Winston being a straight-up clown the last two seasons? But it has never extinguished the human core and it's kept the laughs per minute at a high, high rate. New Girl is no radical evolution in the form of TV comedy and it isn't aiming very high with its subject matter, but it's technical perfection and subtle progressions (the occasional progressive/politically-minded story, for example) are enough on top of the just killer jokes that the program delivers week in and week out to make New Girl just stellar. I love this show a lot, and I don't know what it was about this week's episode or this season in general that made me feel the need to assert this, but it did.

The funniest line for me this week wasn't really even a joke at all. such a weird believable interaction:
"am I gonna get your email? what's gonna happen?" "yeah man let's do it" "it's 'therealned8' at guh-mail dot com." "you mean gee-mail?" "oh is that how you say it?"
edit: Ryan is not a great actor, true. but that dude is handsome.

Dereck

I never thought I would ever read someone say New Girl is the best Sitcom on TV, there are many other sitcoms currently on TV better than it, it isn't the best anything as far as I'm concerned, especially with season 3 being wildy inconsistent, and some characters becoming nearly useless on screen. Its cool though, people like things.

Bladenic

S4 is far better than S3 so far, and as far as network comedies go I think it's up there. But if we're counting cable and premium channels, then yeah New Girl can't compare.

I never thought I would ever read someone say New Girl is the best Sitcom on TV, there are many other sitcoms currently on TV better than it, it isn't the best anything as far as I'm concerned, especially with season 3 being wildy inconsistent, and some characters becoming nearly useless on screen. Its cool though, people like things.

Just about everyone agrees that season 3 was a misstep. Thankfully, season 4 has course corrected and it is hovering just below season 2 tier so far.

big ander

I meant to emphasize "traditional," there are plenty of comedy shows that I would rate over New Girl (Comedy Bang! Bang!, Portlandia, The Eric Andre Show, Louie, Nathan For You, Review with Forrest MacNeil). But I can't think of a straight-up sitcom I like better. I haven't checked a lot from this year but I think B99 is good but shaky and Parks has checked into a comfort zone (which I enjoy a lot too, but New Girl is near peak-Parks levels).

Bladenic

I meant to emphasize "traditional," there are plenty of comedy shows that I would rate over New Girl (Comedy Bang! Bang!, Portlandia, The Eric Andre Show, Louie, Nathan For You, Review with Forrest MacNeil). But I can't think of a straight-up sitcom I like better. I haven't checked a lot from this year but I think B99 is good but shaky and Parks has checked into a comfort zone (which I enjoy a lot too, but New Girl is near peak-Parks levels).

Wow, I wish I found New Girl to be on Parks S2/3 level (I don't think it's anywhere near it).

Brooklyn has been somewhat spotty this season (by which I mean the Halloween and Thanksgiving episodes were rote as fuuuuck) so yeah, consider me on board the "funniest show on TV" train.

At least Winston has a fucking job now.

After a third season misstep, the Thanksgiving episodes are back to greatness.

And my DVR cut off the last few seconds. The last thing was Ferris Bueller playing, and then Jess started to speak before it shut off. What gag did I miss at the end then?

zychi

Banned
After a third season misstep, the Thanksgiving episodes are back to greatness.

And my DVR cut off the last few seconds. The last thing was Ferris Bueller playing, and then Jess started to speak before it shut off. What gag did I miss at the end then?

Just the whole "principal's worst day" crap she was saying earlier.

New Girl is the best comedy on tv right now. BNN has been meh this season. It's 1 of 3 shows I really look forward to watching. Which is weird because a year ago I forced myself to watch it

Linius

Oh man, this episode was great. Can't believe so little people on Gaf watch this. I always shake my head when I see this show mentioned in other threads as if this is a bad comedy. Crazy people yo.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Oh man, this episode was great. Can't believe so little people on Gaf watch this. I always shake my head when I see this show mentioned in other threads as if this is a bad comedy. Crazy people yo.
I also thought it was shit until I watched it. Something about Zooey Deschanel and FOX and a title like 'New Girl' just put me off. Glad I gave it a shot though. Hilarious show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom