• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Grand Theft Auto V screens: TRANSPORT

gosox333

Marketing-a-go? Or is this more along the lines of the last time they released screenshots?

I hope this is the start of things.

thabiz

This has nothing to do with my prediction.

GTA5, in terms of sales, will be down on 4 and show that the series is slowly but surely becoming irrelevant.

A million laughs will be had. The competition is nowhere close to the sales potential of a rockstar game. Oh wait it's a GTA Rockstar game, so im sure it will far surpass GTA4's sales.

It's like saying COD wont top the last one.

Haha, you'll be surprised.

LOL, looking forward to it.

As am I.

What are you basing this on? Just because Sleeping Dogs was a better game than 4?

The general feeling toward GTA outside of gaming forums. People just aren't as interested as they once were, 4 did a lot of damage to the series, I think people understate or simply don't understand how much damage.

Yes it does! You claim that GTA is becoming irrelevant and that the competition is going to hurt it, yet I show you facts disproving your claim. How is it becoming irrelevant when GTA IV is still be played more then the competition?

Becoming irrelevant doesn't mean GTA4 or RDR (which has nothing to do with the GTA discussion) is irrelevant. You're argument is flawed, I said the series is becoming irrelevant, not that it has already become irrelevant.

And most played doesn't mean much of anything, considering their positions, it could just a few thousand playing.

While I agree with some of your points, this will not happen.
Same as with Blizzard games. People may be disappointed with D3, but they will still buy the next Blizzard game and it will be a huge hit.

Fans will always buy the next game, it's the casual gamer who R* have to 'win' back and I'm not so sure they'll be able to.

A million laughs will be had. The competition is nowhere close to the sales potential of a rockstar game. Oh wait it's a GTA Rockstar game, so im sure it will far surpass GTA4's sales.

It's like saying COD wont top the last one.

I read some of the sales threads from time to time, and the general consensus seem to be that MW3 is lagging behind Black Ops. I might be wrong though.

Credit to winstano

v-3-1280gzj31.jpg

v-4-1280f6kdi.jpg

v-5-1280ock86.jpg

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswire/article/37991/transport.html

YES. Requoted for awesome.

bud23

GTA5, in terms of sales, will be down on 4 and show that the series is slowly but surely becoming irrelevant.

Yeah, it can happen... in an alternate reality.

My bet is that GTA V will break all the sales records. After five years since the release of GTA IV,this game could pulverize all the sales records.

bndadm

Yep. Playing Sleeping Dogs and you cant compare the two. Wheres my weight transfer? Wheres my suspension feel? I almost want to bust out the wheel with GTA4 :)

Likewise with the Saints Row games (did not play 3). I feel like I'm driving matchbox cars instead of weighty machines. GTA 4's car handling should be the standard for every sandbox game going forward. The feel of fish-tailing around a corner is OH so satisifying.

They even ironed out the motorcyles in the expansion.

thabiz

The general feeling toward GTA outside of gaming forums. People just aren't as interested as they once were, 4 did a lot of damage to the series, I think people understate or simply don't understand how much damage.

And once the hype machine gets rolling they will be salivating. It's GTA. Thats all that needs to be said.

It's like one of the 5 games that sell ridiculous numbers based on the name alone. They always show minimal footage, released close to the game coming up, and it still sells gangbusters. Brand power.

bitoriginal

Fans will always buy the next game, it's the casual gamer who R* have to 'win' back and I'm not so sure they'll be able to.

Lolwut? R* don't have to win anyone back, are you forgetting their last proper openworld game was RDR which is widely regarded as one of the best games of the generation? GTAV is going to sell like fucking hotcakes.

Marleyman

Banned

This is just hilarious. What "people" do you know that won't buy GTA 5 because of the "damage" 4 has done?

ban bets aren't enforced. I'm willing to put some money on the table though, I'm that confident. Let's say 20 bucks of PSN or XBL credit?

Yeah, it can happen... in an alternate reality.

My bet is that GTA V will break all the sales records. After five years since the release of GTA IV,this game could pulverize all the sales records.

Are you sure? Willing to put some money behind that bet? Or perhaps some PSN/XBL credit?

And once the hype machine gets rolling they will be salivating. It's GTA. Thats all that needs to be said.

It's like one of the 5 games that sell ridiculous numbers based on the name alone. They always show minimal footage, released close to the game coming up, and it still sells gangbusters. Brand power.

We'll see, I don't think it will that simple.

michael-jordan-laughing.gif

Reading your bashing of GTA is hilarious. GTA will never be irrelevant as long as they keep producing quality. GTA4 was great no matter how much you put it down.

thabiz

I read some of the sales threads from time to time, and the general consensus seem to be that MW3 is lagging behind Black Ops. I might be wrong though.

I'm not up on the numbers. i am surprised if thats true.

It still broke every entertainment record on launch. numbers must be close.

I'm so pumped for this game, even beeing an unnintentional funny console gamer.

Also, I Don't care about road textures. That beeing not even funny to care about. But hell do I know.

-Amon-

ban bets aren't enforced. I'm willing to put some money on the table though, I'm that confident. Let's say 20 bucks of PSN or XBL credit?

You may be right. But for a matter of market contraption, not because of the series becoming irrelevant because of the damages done by GTA4

bitoriginal

You're on.

We need to do something so we'll remember this bet. Subscribe to the thread?

I'll bet £100 in XBL or PSN credit that you're totally wrong. GTAV will have the best first week sales of ANY GTA game. I don't care about double dip recessions, or the current economic climate, it's GTA.

This is just hilarious. What "people" do you know that won't buy GTA 5 because of the "damage" 4 has done?

Well, mostly friends and friends of friends who aren't excited for GTA5 as they were for GTA4. The main reason for this is GTA4. They may be insignificant, but I wouldn't be surprised if their feeling aren't shared by others who felt burnt by GTA4 change in everything from the previous GTA titles.

I think you're in for a very rude awakening. GTS5 might sell well, but it down on previous entries and there's also the fact that it's never faced direct competition before...

What is going to be their direct competition? You are saying that people won't buy GTA V in 2013 because they got Sleeping Dogs back in August???

Come on son!

bitoriginal

Well, mostly friends and friends of friends who aren't excited for GTA5 as they were for GTA4. The main reason for this is GTA4. They may be insignificant, but I wouldn't be surprised if their feeling aren't shared by others who felt burnt by GTA4 change in everything from the previous GTA titles.

Come on man, the GTAV hype hasn't even begun yet. Half of those friends are going to chomping at the bit for a new GTA as soon as it's got a release date.

Marleyman

Banned

It is one thing to feel "burned" by GTA 4, a game that was out 4 years ago. It is another to deny Rockstar's track record, improvements they have made, and the fact they are going back to San Andreas.

I'm not up on the numbers. i am surprised if thats true.

It still broke every entertainment record on launch. numbers must be close.
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/175833/With_sales_on_the_decline_has_Call_of_Duty_hit_its_peak.php

According to official NPD Group data, lifetime retail sales of Black Ops stand at 16.4 million copies through July 2012 while sales of Modern Warfare 3 are at 13.7 million copies.

Currently 2.7 million copies behind in the US if these numbers are correct.

Sethos

Banned
It is one thing to feel "burned" by GTA 4, a game that was out 4 years ago. It is another to deny Rockstar's track record, improvements they have made, and the fact they are going back to San Andreas.

And let's not forget the critically acclaimed RDR and the positive feedback on MP3 that people believe all will be rolled into GTA V in some form or another.

Also, I smell a PC copy of GTA V released at the same time or within a month which will also boost sales.

I'd be willing to make a bet, say $60 American dollars - price of the game- that GTAV outsells GTAIV at launch. Interested?

What is going to be their direct competition? You are saying that people won't buy GTA V in 2013 because they got Sleeping Dogs back in August???

Come on son!

Saints Row 4. If it follows the previous games, it's likely to be one of the most content filled, action packed and full of fun factor gameplay ever released. Add to this the new city, the new visuals, etc and it will present a decent challenge to GTA5.

Come on man, the GTAV hype hasn't even begun yet. Half of those friends are going to chomping at the bit for a new GTA as soon as it's got a release date.

Well, I was talking about SR4.

Done. 40 bucks isn't a lot of lose if I'm wrong.

Top Bottom