• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New GT4 Playable demo out in Japan (old?)

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks to Duckroll's advice I picked up the new issue of "The Playstation" which has a special GT4 demo.

It's a 1.3 gig dvd that has:
--Nurburgring
--Trial Mountain
--George V (can only race by yourself)

In single race or time trial forms (though there is a 150 sec time limit in both modes)

Cars available are:
--Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec II Nur-special
--Mazda RX-8 Type S '03
--Nissan Skyline GT-R V-spec II Nur (R34) '02
--Mazda Savanna RX-7 GT-X '90
--Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86

Photo mode is also available with these 2 shooting locations:
--Marunouchi
--Sagano

Also there is an English/Japanese option and a MPH/KPH option. There are also real-time replays of other tracks (watching Hong-Kong now) so those tracks are probably hidden in the there too.

Anyhow the magazine is cheap (880yen) and it's almost like a mini-prologue so for those who want to try the game a little early it's worth it IMO.

Bebpo

Banned
Well the 3d crowd is definitely in during replays unlike prologue. I'm watching a replay of the Costa ~~~ track and while the background crowds still look 2d there are groups of 3d bystanders who turn and look as your car goes past them. Looks pretty cool in motion.

Bebpo

Banned
kumanoki said:
Not to be ig'nant, but isn't this Prologue?

Nope. Prologue had 6 completely different tracks, a bunch of cars and a training/license type mode.

It didn't have these 3 tracks or photo mode. Also I think the graphic engine is from the final version now, rather than the ~~~% complete version GT was at when Prologue came out.

Btw more rolling demos, watching the ice track now.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
I've got that demo. Nothing to get too exited about. There is a 150 seconds (IIRC) time limit in each track. While you can complete one lap in Trial Mountain and George V during that time, you can hardly see more than 1/3 of the Nurburgring until the time runs out. :/

mr2mike

Banned
" New GT4 Playable demo out in Japan

Cars available are:
--Mazda RX-8 Type S '03
--Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86"

I DECLARE THIS THREAD USELESS WITHOUT VIDEOS!

maskrider

Got it (along with DQ8 and Half Life 2) !!!

It comes with a special preview book that lists 597 of the cars and 49 courses.

gt4d-start.jpg

gt4d-menu.jpg

gt4d-opt.jpg

gt4d-ring.jpg

gt4d-tmtn.jpg

gt4d-paris.jpg

gt4d-photo-1.jpg

gt4d-photo-2.jpg

gt4d-photo-mode.jpg

gt4d-gtr.jpg

gt4d-rx8.jpg

gt4d-gtr-1.jpg

gt4d-rx7.jpg

gt4d-mr2.jpg

Gek54

mr2mike said:
" New GT4 Playable demo out in Japan

Cars available are:
--Mazda RX-8 Type S '03
--Toyota MR2 1600 G-Limited Super Charger '86"

I DECLARE THIS THREAD USELESS WITHOUT VIDEOS!

You're not?.....Yeah you are...I know its you.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Polyphony has turned in to the teasing hot chick who will get you all hot and bothered but won't consummate the deal....

mr2mike

Banned
"You're not?.....Yeah you are...I know its you."

Am what? am who? the member formerly known as kaji?

Of course I am :D Of course I dont go around shouting it on rooftops, I just though some people would recognise me from either: my rampant MR2 fanboyism, my PGR2 hating, my racing skills (displayed in the GT3 GVS Mugen NSX time trial thread), or just one of my spurts of oddball behavior :p

at the last board change I took the opportunity to refresh my nick, wich I had been using since the time dreamcast was fresh. But of course, what use would the name MR2mike be without http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/666595/1

/shameless plug for my own lovely car.

Gek54

Ohhh you have the old old school MR2. Hawt! (I always read your name as Mr. 2 Mike :p)

666595_25_full.jpg

NICE! Yeah I think someone here is going to like photo mode.

maskrider

Damn ! I have been playing the demo since I was back home today, no time to even open my shiny new Half Life 2 and DQ8 yet.

All the auto-run realtime replay was recorded, I am still practising to make a better run for the courses before I can show them, ha ha ha ! :lol

maskrider

Gek54 said:
Yes I did, just wanted to confirm with you. What video capture card are you using again? And how is the lag?

Usual Philips SAA7130 based PCTV card with DScaler, the lag does not affect the gameplay.

maskrider

Forsete said:
Maskrider: Can you check what Volvo cars are in?
Btw, is Saab listed?

Thanks.

Saab not in the list in the special preview book, the list is indeed not comprehensive as it contains only 597 of the 700 cars.

edit: But there is a picture of Volvo 240 GLT, Volvo S60 T-5 Sports (2003) is in the list.

Forsete

Gold Member
maskrider said:
Volvo and Saab not in the list in the special preview book, the list is indeed not comprehensive as it contains only 597 of the 700 cars.

Ok thanks for checking. :)

I know Volvo is in (as seen in a GS video).

mr2mike

Banned
I love you long time!!!

So how does it handle? back in GT2 (last the car was in a gt game) it handled probably what is the furthest from how it should have handled...

[edit]

Haha, that thing looks like it's on rails! rock on!

And the engine's top end does seem to sound raspy enough... while an engine like a 4AGE can sing at high RPMs, the weird intake on the GZE can't really allow such a voice to be produced, so instead, the supercharged car more or less screams an angry cry.

Not a problem on mine though, modified the intke so it can sing AND let out some supercharger whine :D

Oh and you should really think about using DivX, with free easy to use apps like Virtualdub, you could have encoded the vid in widescreen, instead of hving it quished like that.

That or either find the setting in WME for anamorphic aspect ratio ;)

Gek54

This demo rocks. The handling is MUCH better, just trying to maintain the Skyline in Nurburgring is nerve racking. I love the new hud and the blurry daze that happens when you slam into anything. Sucks you cant turn of the tcs in the demo. Who knows what driving aids you can turn off, I guess its just stability control. I cant wait till they come up with a code to get rid of the limit. I could Nurburgring all freakin day.

The AI in the demo does suck though :?

mr2mike

Banned
"I cant wait till they come up with a code to get rid of the limit. I could Nurburgring all freakin day."

You and me both. truth be told, the entire set of reasons why I want GT4 is on that demo. MR2SC + nordschleife. if I could get that without a time limit and with the ability to turn the tcs off, Polyphony would be screwed out of my purchase :lol

maskrider

mr2mike said:
I love you long time!!!

So how does it handle? back in GT2 (last the car was in a gt game) it handled probably what is the furthest from how it should have handled...

On street tyre, it will be harder to handle. I play it on Arcade tyre and the traction is better. And BTW, with Drive Assist off, since the car can slide and turn around, ASM is off I suppose, not sure about TCS.

mr2mike said:
[edit]

Haha, that thing looks like it's on rails! rock on!

And the engine's top end does seem to sound raspy enough... while an engine like a 4AGE can sing at high RPMs, the weird intake on the GZE can't really allow such a voice to be produced, so instead, the supercharged car more or less screams an angry cry.

Not a problem on mine though, modified the intke so it can sing AND let out some supercharger whine :D

Oh and you should really think about using DivX, with free easy to use apps like Virtualdub, you could have encoded the vid in widescreen, instead of hving it quished like that.

That or either find the setting in WME for anamorphic aspect ratio ;)

The WMV video is indeed anamorphic wide screen, transcoded and deinterlaced from widescreen MPEG-2 captured source.

edit: BTW, Driving Assist is off in my gameplay videos (Trial Mountain and George V).

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
In other news I recently played a motion simulator hooked up to GT4 (wasn't a random job but the real deal Sony inked out) in the Subaru booth of the South Florida Auto Show. Aside from the steering wheel not feeling like a real one (it was one of those Logitech force feedback wheels) and the cars only being Subaru it was an utter blast. No one was at the booth so they let have have a few go arounds in the cars on both tracks, the rally one was ace with all the movement.

So I'm no a car afficionado but luckily I had enough insight to really appreciate all the detail in the game and how authentic it handled.

Gek54

Someone needs to come up with a consumer simulator soon. Closest thing I have been on is that Sega Kart one.

mr2mike

Banned
weird, it's showing up as 720x480 4:3 over here

Blah! even more of a reason to switch to DivX avi :D no wonky video formatting :p

maskrider

mr2mike said:
weird, it's showing up as 720x480 4:3 over here

Blah! even more of a reason to switch to DivX avi :D no wonky video formatting :p

Ha ha ! It is 720x480 16:9 in my WMP9. Weird. :D

I make it at 720x480 because I don't want TMPGEnc Xpress to scale it (the MPEG-2 is also at 720x480).

Top Bottom