• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nissan R34 (can't buy games after) or PS5/XSX/Switch for free (all games free for life)

I don't think you can have a simulation game without comparing it to the thing it's supposed to be simulating.

The feel of driving an actual vehicle, as in physically moving has not been accurately replicated by joystick or sim setup.

Force feedback is nice, and even vibration on seats but driving a car is still a very different experience.

Graphics are pretty good on cars games nowadays, at least!

Crayon

The feel of driving an actual vehicle, as in physically moving has not been accurately replicated by joystick or sim setup.

Force feedback is nice, and even vibration on seats but driving a car is still a very different experience.

Graphics are pretty good on cars games nowadays, at least!

If you have the experience between a sim and the real thing you fill in that part with your mind. Even before I had done much real driving, I learned some good habits from gran turismo. Some bad ones too lol.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
This legitimately the first time I've heard of an "R34" but I don't know how they can be serious with that name. How does anyone not hear Rule 34... every time.

Banned
This legitimately the first time I've heard of an "R34" but I don't know how they can be serious with that name. How does anyone not hear Rule 34... every time.

well the actual name of the car model is Skyline...
but nowadays people usually just call them GTR R34 because the GTR R35 is its direct successor but they dropped the Skyline naming for it and so now GTR RXX is seen as its own thing separate from the Skyline model line, also because there are Skylines that don't use the RXX naming as well which came out after the R34 but are barely really related to them.

and you most likely did hear of it. it was like THE CAR in Fast and Furious, and later became what everyone chose in Need for Speed Underground which was of course heavily influenced by Fast and Furious
73082c994529197d6ef7a58a5d91eb97.jpg.gif

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
well the actual name of the car model is Skyline...
but nowadays people usually just call them GTR R34 because the GTR R35 is its direct successor but they dropped the Skyline naming for it and so now GTR RXX is seen as its own thing separate from the Skyline model line, also because there are Skylines that don't use the RXX naming as well which came out after the R34 but are barely really related to them.

and you most likely did hear of it. it was like THE CAR in Fast and Furious, and later became what everyone chose in Need for Speed Underground which was of course heavily influenced by Fast and Furious
73082c994529197d6ef7a58a5d91eb97.jpg.gif
I've only seen part of 1 F&F movie in my life (half-watched it on streaming while doing other things), and it was Tokyo Drift. And I've never played Underground.

WitchHunter

Banned
i didnt even mention vr lmao
I'm just saying there are video games out there that can simulate the experience of driving in cars like that. I'd know because Gran Turismo 4 literally gave me an interest in cars and motorsport

come the fuck on, yall both know i never said anything along the lines of "driving in Assetto Corsa is the exact same experience as actually owning a Skyline"

For one thing you don't risk losing the car and your life in the game, you don't have to maintain it all the time, you don't have to contend with traffic in the game, and it's way easier to tune it, way easier to add liveries, and way easier to actually race other people. You also don't have to spend 250k.
So in real life you have never been in a really strong car 🧐.

TheGrat1

The R-34. You will never have enough time in the day to play all of the games for all of those platforms anyway, meanwhile I at least drive all the time. Plus I have a good backlog.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You do know the R designation predates Rule 34 right?
In fact the R34 stopped production a year before Rule 34 became a thing.

Quasicat

Don’t need the car and most modern games don’t appeal to me, so…

Option 3: boats and hoes. 😉

Last edited:

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
You do know the R designation predates Rule 34 right?
In fact the R34 stopped production a year before Rule 34 became a thing.
Okay. But they're not even street-legal in the US and I never watched those corny Fast & Furious movies, so this kind of car is pretty much the most obscure artifact of popular culture you could find for me.

You would be embarrassed of having a nice car?

nintendo-reggie.gif
His "embarrassed" cause he would never able to afford one in the first place. So his deflecting, knowing he can't get it to make himself feel better. Those that can should be "embarassed" of having such a thing even if their financial status allows then do so.

Typical degenerate narcissistic envy.

Last edited:

Black_Stride

Okay. But they're not even street-legal in the US and I never watched those corny Fast & Furious movies, so this kind of car is pretty much the most obscure artifact of popular culture you could find for me.
Skylines....pop culture, F&F?

Just say you arent a car guy and call it a day mate, probably should have even entered this thread cuz its clearly a car guy kinda thread.
Godzilla wasnt built by Fast and Furious movies, Godzilla was built by killing the track and the streets.

How you know the R34 isnt street legal in the US is also really weird....you dont know about the R34 but you do know the car isnt street legal?
Something isnt adding up?

P.S Itll be street legal next year.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
Skylines....pop culture, F&F?
"Skylines" ...?

Just say you arent a car guy and call it a day mate, probably should have even entered this thread cuz its clearly a car guy kinda thread.
Godzilla wasnt built by Fast and Furious movies, Godzilla was built by killing the track and the streets.

Definitely not a car guy, although I can name plenty of cars that kids in the last few generations were into in the rural United States. But I never heard anyone mention an R34 in my 4+ decades of life, oddly.

I mean, it happens--some things seem important in one region and then are completely irrelevant in others.

How you know the R34 isnt street legal in the US is also really weird....you dont know about the R34 but you do know the car isnt street legal?
Something isnt adding up?
I looked it up, because someone above in the thread said they were illegal to own. I thought, "is that why I've never even heard of them?"

P.S Itll be street legal next year.
Too bad, frankly we don't need more idiots on the road with insanely expensive death machines they want to show off.

I'll take the free games for life.

The car is cool but its probably tough in the US to source parts and likely expensive, and tbh I mostly drive for transportation and not joy or thrill, etc.

Black_Stride

"Skylines" ...?

Definitely not a car guy, although I can name plenty of cars that kids in the last few generations were into in the rural United States. But I never heard anyone mention an R34 in my 4+ decades of life, oddly.

I mean, it happens--some things seem important in one region and then are completely irrelevant in others.
I looked it up, because someone above in the thread said they were illegal to own. I thought, "is that why I've never even heard of them?"

Too bad, frankly we don't need more idiots on the road with insanely expensive death machines they want to show off.
Never heard of the Nissan Skyline?......kids the last few generations?.....if they played Gran Turismo or Need For Speed then they know the Nissan Skyline.
If they dont, maybe the kids you hang out with.....wait you are 40+.....okay so maybe not kids you hang out with, but lets say your circle of peoples really really really really really really really really arent into cars or car games.
The Skyline family is one of the most famous car families in car games since atleast GT1 on the PS1.
Its like synonymous with Gran Turismo.

maxresdefault.jpg

Its a ~300HP car....there are hatchbacks making way more than that easy work, not exactly a death trap.
It cost 250,000 dollars now, itll cost more once it can be imported to the US and its rarity skyrockets.
You wont be seeing them everywhere and anyone who could afford one wont need to be trying to show off cuz they have a frikken Skyline GTR, thats a flex in and of itself.

P.S They are all wheel drive and have impeccable handling....someone would have to really go out of their way to crash one.
This aint no Mustang.

soulbait

To be honest, anyone who takes the car is foolish IMO (going by the understanding that you cannot sell the car). Not because I think games are more valuable than a car, but because a car loses value over time. I am not only talking about monetary value either. Overtime, your love and passion for the car will diminish, especially once a newer shiner version comes out. With all the games in the future for free, even as you get tired and bored of the current games, you will get new games.

A car like this is not practical and is used for entertainment purposes. Games are also used for entertainment. I would rather have a stream of free entertainment that will change over time versus a single item that requires upkeep and lose its appeal over the years.

Besides, maybe if I did not spend so much money on gaming, I could afford a car like this :D

Last edited:

soulbait

Think about it, you can STILL play all the games you currently have and, after the gen is over can resume purchasing games again.

Yet, some people choose to give up a legendary car that people will pay up $250K for. Lifetime warranty included.

I'm a gamer, and loves games.

The R34 in this instance IS the logical choice.

I did not read it as for games only this generation. I read it as games for life.

If I can sell the car, use the loophole for games via gamepass/PSN, and resume normal game purchasing during next generation, then I might bite on the car.

If I cannot sell it, then I will pass. I find the car ugly and if I cannot get the value out of it, it is worthless to me.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
If there’s no selling involved then I’d take the games. What am I going to do with the car? Take it to the grocery store? Drive it to work? Stare at it in my garage? Zzzzzzzzzz

I enjoy videogames. The car is just a mode of transportation.

Black_Stride

To be honest, anyone who takes the car is foolish IMO (going by the understanding that you cannot sell the car). Not because I think games are more valuable than a car, but because a car loses value over time. I am not only talking about monetary value either. Overtime, your love and passion for the car will diminish, especially once a newer shiner version comes out. With all the games in the future for free, even as you get tired and bored of the current games, you will get new games.

A car like this is not practical and is used for entertainment purposes. Games are also used for entertainment. I would rather have a stream of free entertainment that will change over time versus a single item that requires upkeep and lose its appeal over the years.

Besides, maybe if I did not spend so much money on gaming, I could afford a car like this :D
You think the ~70,000 dollar R34 that now cost 250,000 dollars and rising is gonna lose value before you die?
The RB26 engine has near limitless potential, the chassis of the R34 is extremely compliant and is a fun car to drive 25 years after launch.
The aftermarket support is vast vast vast.

I had an S13 and for the few years I owned it, that was the most entertaining thing for me to do.
I actually stopped gaming cuz I could spend hours tinkering on the car, or just cruising, hitting gymkhana events or car meets.......or even worse just browsing the Internet looking for the best way to get more out of the car.

I now have a daily and an S130 project car, once I get this thing up and running my gaming time is gonna drop massively.
Eventually Ill own one of the Skyline family then who knows how much time Ill have for gaming.

<---Lies, didnt stop gaming still put in atleast an hour or two of Call of Duty 4, but barely gamed on the weekends cuz of car meets and gymkhana events.

soulbait

You think the ~70,000 dollar R34 that now cost 250,000 dollars and rising is gonna lose value before you die?
The RB26 engine has near limitless potential, the chassis of the R34 is extremely compliant and is a fun car to drive 25 years after launch.
The aftermarket support is vast vast vast.

I had an S13 and for the few years I owned it, that was the most entertaining thing for me to do.
I actually stopped gaming cuz I could spend hours tinkering on the car, or just cruising, hitting gymkhana events or car meets.......or even worse just browsing the Internet looking for the best way to get more out of the car.

I now have a daily and an S130 project car, once I get this thing up and running my gaming time is gonna drop massively.
Eventually Ill own one of the Skyline family then who knows how much time Ill have for gaming.

<---Lies, didnt stop gaming still put in atleast an hour or two of Call of Duty 4, but barely gamed on the weekends cuz of car meets and gymkhana events.

You are right that collector cars like this go up in value, but that is usually only true if it is not being driven much. Actually go out and drive a lot in it, and that $250k value will lower.

I can see where you could get enjoyment out of the car if you are a massive car enthusiast, but I still think that enjoyment will diminish over the years. There will be another car that you want in the future, because you like cars. Just like how we get really excited about games, but after a while we are more excited about the next one. Yes, car will last longer than a single game, but overtime you will want something else.

Under the following scenario I would take the car:
- the stipulation is only for this current generation of console games, and not ones in the future.
- I am allowed to sell the car, so once I am done having my fun in it, I can get some sort of monetary value out of it. If I cannot sell the car, then the worth of the car no longer matters, we are just comparing entertainment value, and I find a variety of games more entertaining than a single car.
- I can use the loophole to buy GamePass and/or PSN to get games :D (however, I could look over this one, if I can sell the car at the end of this console generation and get that money!)

mxbison

Get a car and can't buy new games for the rest of my life?

That sounds like an awful deal, even if it was a much more expensive car.

Black_Stride

You are right that collector cars like this go up in value, but that is usually only true if it is not being driven much. Actually go out and drive a lot in it, and that $250k value will lower.

I can see where you could get enjoyment out of the car if you are a massive car enthusiast, but I still think that enjoyment will diminish over the years. There will be another car that you want in the future, because you like cars. Just like how we get really excited about games, but after a while we are more excited about the next one. Yes, car will last longer than a single game, but overtime you will want something else.

Under the following scenario I would take the car:
- the stipulation is only for this current generation of console games, and not ones in the future.
- I am allowed to sell the car, so once I am done having my fun in it, I can get some sort of monetary value out of it. If I cannot sell the car, then the worth of the car no longer matters, we are just comparing entertainment value, and I find a variety of games more entertaining than a single car.
- I can use the loophole to buy GamePass and/or PSN to get games :D (however, I could look over this one, if I can sell the car at the end of this console generation and get that money!)
I still regret getting rid of my S13 to this day.
There are many more powerful cars, with much better overall handling out there, and that was initially my thinking, ill just get a Z car and it should do everything better than my S13.
But thats just not the case....every car has its own personality and S13s are just such cool small"ish" cars that are a fun drive.

The R34 is an all wheel drive beast that literally 25 years later people still compare it to the current GTR, yes the current GTR basically does everything better than the R34, but enthusiast still pine for the R34, it was kinda the beginning of the digital era of sports cars, but its alot more analog than current cars so the sense of "Im actually driving" is still there......cars going forward arent really going to replicate that they are drifting further and further away from that feeling.
Which is likely why OP actually chose the R34, its not a car we are ever going to see again....cars just arent made like that anymore.

soulbait

I still regret getting rid of my S13 to this day.
There are many more powerful cars, with much better overall handling out there, and that was initially my thinking, ill just get a Z car and it should do everything better than my S13.
But thats just not the case....every car has its own personality and S13s are just such cool small"ish" cars that are a fun drive.

The R34 is an all wheel drive beast that literally 25 years later people still compare it to the current GTR, yes the current GTR basically does everything better than the R34, but enthusiast still pine for the R34, it was kinda the beginning of the digital era of sports cars, but its alot more analog than current cars so the sense of "Im actually driving" is still there......cars going forward arent really going to replicate that they are drifting further and further away from that feeling.
Which is likely why OP actually chose the R34, its not a car we are ever going to see again....cars just arent made like that anymore.

Hey man, I get that. You are a car enthusiasts. I like cars, but not nearly as much as you do. My dream car is an Audi R8, especially the original ones. I just love the look of them (I hope one day to own one). However, I know would grow bored over time and want that "next best thing" which is why the gaming option would be better for those who are not super car enthusiasts. But for you, sounds like it would be a dream scenario for you, and I wish it could happen for ya! :D :D

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I can make $250k. I can't make new video games. No debate.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I have no interest in owning a car, it would be much more of a hassle than it would help me in my everyday life. Every now and then it would be convenient to have one, but usually I have zero need. Yay for good public transportation!

But I could sell it and buy something more useful I guess.

Edit: I can't buy a game ever again if I accept the car? Fuck that lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom