• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Halo 3 pic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
"It doesnt look like space armour from 200 years in the future"

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW!!!!
:lol

Looks awesome, I wish they'd go media dark now untill they actually have something to say about the game itself though.

Mmmm looks grand, the poses were used in a smaller cut-out pose also if you remember on the announcement news from bungie.net

Also if these were fake, whoever did them can either 1) photoshop as good as a real nextgen 3d model 2) make a master chief 3d model and scenery look basicly 100% accurate in bumpmap and poly in such a short time... list goes on.

Tellaerin

Ghost said:
"It doesnt look like space armour from 200 years in the future"

HOW WOULD YOU KNOW!!!!
:lol

Nobody's expecting Bungie to predict what battle armor will look like in the future. The goal should be to make the characters look believably futuristic based on what we're familiar with now. Call it cinematic realism. Even if real armor does end up looking like pebbly green plastic 200 years from now, that look doesn't read as 'advanced future technology' here in the early 21st century.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Tellaerin said:
Nobody's expecting Bungie to predict what battle armor will look like in the future. The goal should be to make the characters look believably futuristic based on what we're familiar with now. Call it cinematic realism. Even if real armor does end up looking like pebbly green plastic 200 years from now, that look doesn't read as 'advanced future technology' here in the early 21st century.

Yeah right, they should copy what everyone is familiar with so you can post "OMG ITS SO GENERIC" instead.

Tellaerin

Ghost said:
Yeah right, they should copy what everyone is familiar with so you can post "OMG ITS SO GENERIC" instead.

Did you see me do that with Mass Effect? Or Gears of War?

Thank you, drive through.

Of course he doesn't, he's just expecting some kind of skin tight uber sexy ninja armor and elite genetic engineered warriors being androgynous blondes 200 years from now.

Oh I admit MC design isn't as exciting as a blond with 10 in waist and beach ball sized shoulders who can bend all joints backward to roll into a ball, but I guess I'm just not looking for that kind of design excitement. ;)

Zaptruder

Banned
Shogmaster said:
Oh I admit MC design isn't as exciting as a blond with 10 in waist and beach ball sized shoulders who can bend all joints backward to roll into a ball, but I guess I'm just not looking for that kind of design excitement. ;)

You wish you could put together designs on par with Samus you two bit hack!

Seriously though, it's probably worth noting these shots come from the press-kit (I think)...

those are something like 6000 pixel wide screenshots. There's no AA in those screenshots... but then there doesn't need to be.

Realtime assets, and even the engine doing the work... but at something like 20 times the resolution we'll be seeing on the X360.

Whatever. The game will still look f-ing awesome.

Saoh

am i late for the "WHOMG!!!! MS ****ING WON!! ITS OVER! MC WIL **** US ALL!! I LOVE YOU PETER MOORE!!!" comments?

Zaptruder said:
You wish you could put together designs on par with Samus you two bit hack!

You forget my toy background. I've done way more rediculous designs than Samus back in my day. :lol

Seriously though, it's probably worth noting these shots come from the press-kit (I think)...

those are something like 6000 pixel wide screenshots. There's no AA in those screenshots... but then there doesn't need to be.

Realtime assets, and even the engine doing the work... but at something like 20 times the resolution we'll be seeing on the X360.

Whatever. The game will still look f-ing awesome.

Like I already said, the AA is not even close to being realistic in those pics. Other than that though, I see no problems. I'll take that at 720p with no AA even.

Zaptruder

Banned
Shogmaster said:
You forget my toy background. I've done way more rediculous designs than Samus back in my day. :lol

You realise I was referring specifically to your toy background and calling you a 2 bit hack for making such crappy toys! :p

I didn't read your post on the AA, nor was I infact making a reference to any of your posts. It was just in general. Funny how you happen to be the (a?) guy that mentions the IQ is a little out of whack.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
If these are real shots, call me suitably sexified.

Kobold

half-wit retard monkey's ass
Just to let people know. These are high resolution versions of the in-game (720p resolution) cinematic trailer.

Meaning, these shots were at one time sized 3840x2160 or whatever high resolution they outputted these images to before rescaling them down, hence making all jaggies dissapear magically.

The game might feature strong anti-aliasing when it releases, but it would still be noticable in screenshots. Still it's silly discussing screenshots. It's just as easy making an appaling screenshot as it is making a gorgeous one, while that in the end means close to nothing about the game running on your tv in real-time in the end.

Zaptruder said:
You realise I was referring specifically to your toy background and calling you a 2 bit hack for making such crappy toys! :p

Being a toy designer for Hasbro makes one by definition a two bit hack. Don't blame the poor folks accepting a decent paying job! ;)

I didn't read your post on the AA, nor was I infact making a reference to any of your posts. It was just in general. Funny how you happen to be the (a?) guy that mentions the IQ is a little out of whack.

I call it like I see it. No one should expect that kind of AA in realtime this gen.

Juice

I don't think the pic looks impressive. Meh.

I'd be excited about the gameplay if by chance they decided to make it play and feel more like Halo 1 than 2.

But that's not going to happen.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Juice said:
I don't think the pic looks impressive. Meh.

I'd be excited about the gameplay if by chance they decided to make it play and feel more like Halo 1 than 2.

But that's not going to happen.

orly?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Stinkles said:
orly?

I doubt it would happen. Deadhead Halo 2 fanatics will play anything that says Halo on it. I think the amount of people that liked Halo 1 more are far outnumbered.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The generic comments are annoying... war, at any point of time in history, is not supposed to be colourful and fruity... stop overusing that word...

There are much better examples of "generic" out there, like that one FPS that debuted at E3 that I can't even remember the name of - it looked worse than that new Turok also... but either way, it was a war game, and war isn't meant to look pretty...

With that said, I always loved the design of Halo 2's armour - always regarded it as one of my favourite designs ever, second only to Spider-man's costume, and was pleasantly pleased to see it return here again - WITH improments! (I expected that, since with the way Halo 2 ended, I figured that there'd be no time for him to grab new armour)...

Secondly, I still can't believe people are still doubting whether these pics are in-game or not - I guess they have to put it in a banner on their website pretty soon, since people still don't believe... oh well, I guess they take those comments as the ultimate compliments as well - I know I would!

Thirdly, I wouldn't expect armour to be smooth... and the way I look at the bump-mapping, it looks like if I tapped the armour it would make a "clink" sound - I don't see how it looks plastic at all - in fact, I have to commend Bungie for pulling off bump-mapping the RIGHT way, as in the best example I've ever seen - now DOOM 3 is what made me hate bump-mapping because that was where everything looked plastic, right down to the walls and ground - I really hated that...

I seriously can't wait for this game - Halo 2 was the definition of epic, and with this new gigantic scale of scenery that Bungie is working on, it's going to be even more epic than ever - especially with the level of graphics that these pictures show...

This game is a true next-gen leap - the detail has risen off the scale, and the levels are so much bigger - can't wait to see what they reveal next!

Mute

Banned
TheTrin said:
I doubt it would happen. Deadhead Halo 2 fanatics will play anything that says Halo on it. I think the amount of people that liked Halo 1 more are far outnumbered.
Sadly, this is true. Stupid physics...

bengraven

"Set as Wallpaper"...

This is all real time, as has been covered already in the thread. But looking at it and looking at the MGS4 trailer, I have to wonder if the 360 couldn't handle the new Metal Gear. I mean, it may only be a desert and Master Chief, but it still looks ****ing amazing. I think if Kojima actually put some effort into this and maybe marketed it, MGS4360 wouldn't be bad at all...

And Master Chief's race was left up in the air. The books describe him as dark haired, brown eyed and freckled, leaving his race open as almost any on the planet currently. He has gone pale, however, according the leaked Halo: The Movie script, which describes the brief shots of his face as scarred and pale after years of wearing armor and not being exposed to the sun.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made him black. Why not?

GreekWolf

Wow! It looks even better than the old desert render

BrigadeDamaged-800.jpg

Kangu

Banned
Skilotonn said:
The generic comments are annoying... war, at any point of time in history, is not supposed to be colourful and fruity... stop overusing that word...

QFT. War is all about purple alien space ships, green and pink lazers flying about, aliens with yellow hair cowering behind their greenish purple shields and avocado colored motocross armor. None of this colorful bullshit!

DSN2K

looks good but I wish developers across the board would calm down on the High res textures little bit, its getting to point where it looks almost to clean and the overall image is effected by this.

the machinery to the side of chief looks off because of this.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
TheTrin said:

Nevermind the fact that Bungie is as top quality as it gets in the gaming industry ofcourse...

I still wonder if the people that miss Halo are just like the rest of the whiners that cried because the Pistol (a.k.a pocket sniper) got removed - if so, they need seriously need help...

bengraven said:
"Set as Wallpaper"...

This is all real time, as has been covered already in the thread. But looking at it and looking at the MGS4 trailer, I have to wonder if the 360 couldn't handle the new Metal Gear. I mean, it may only be a desert and Master Chief, but it still looks ****ing amazing. I think if Kojima actually put some effort into this and maybe marketed it, MGS4360 wouldn't be bad at all...

And Master Chief's race was left up in the air. The books describe him as dark haired, brown eyed and freckled, leaving his race open as almost any on the planet currently. He has gone pale, however, according the leaked Halo: The Movie script, which describes the brief shots of his face as scarred and pale after years of wearing armor and not being exposed to the sun.

I wouldn't be surprised if they made him black. Why not?

MGS4 is seriously nothing the 360 couldn't handle - are people that blind? Everything there is flat, and there was nothing shown there that was new by today technological standards - was the fact that it ran choppy as hell on both showings make you think that it couldn't be done on the 360, because Kojima said himself that it could be done...

And either way, you'd have to be foolish to think that a game being worked on NOW before the PS3 is even out couldn't be done on the 360, besides the fact that it's doing absolutely nothing special technically special...

Kangu said:
QFT. War is all about purple alien space ships, green and pink lazers flying about, aliens with yellow hair cowering behind their greenish purple shields and avocado colored motocross armor. None of this colorful bullshit!

That was an awesome selective post, really! It got a chuckle out me - kudos!

EDIT:

DSN2K said:
looks good but I wish developers across the board would calm down on the High res textures little bit, its getting to point where it looks almost to clean and the overall image is effected by this.

the machinery to the side of chief looks off because of this.

Wait, so you want to stay back in the current-gen with lo-res textures? Hi-res textures are bad? Well that's a first...

Kangu

Banned
Skilotonn said:
MGS4 is seriously nothing the 360 couldn't handle - are people that blind? Everything there is flat, and there was nothing shown there that was new by today technological standards - was the fact that it ran choppy as hell on both showings make you think that it couldn't be done on the 360, because Kojima said himself that it could be done...

And either way, you'd have to be foolish to think that a game being worked on NOW before the PS3 is even out couldn't be done on the 360, besides the fact that it's doing absolutely nothing special technically special...

Everything is flat OMG! Super Paper Snake: Guns of the patriots

WTF are you blabbering about. What next gen game have you seen that shows something new by 'technological standards'? Who sets these arbitrary technological standards? What do you even know about technological standards? Are you a developer? Does Halo 3 do ANYTHING new by these so called technological standards? STOP TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS PLEASE.

That was an awesome selective post, really! It got a chuckle out me - kudos!

C4Lukins

Uncle said:
IIRC he was described by another character as almost sickly pale white (and he did actually have scars too), because he has the armor on all the time or something like that.

Then he must smell like the ass of a million combined hookers.

I love the precision of the shader work on his armor. While the mesh itself is pretty simple (very few curved surfaces probably saves them a lot of their polygon budget, no organic parts to deal with) it looks extremely sharp. Good example of putting detail where people will look. The visor in particular is impressive, if only because we really haven't seen many shaders yet with that sort of accuracy. And of course, because it's right where his face should be it's logically what we're going to be focusing on in the cutscene close-ups.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
The Halo hate is strong in this thread. I kinda have faith that bungie is listening to the fans opinions for 3. I mean the fans that matter, not the pre-teens screaming racial slurs every 5 seconds ;)

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
Kangu said:
Everything is flat OMG! Super Paper Snake: Guns of the patriots

WTF are you blabbering about. What next gen game have you seen that shows something new by 'technological standards'? Who sets these arbitrary technological standards? What do you even know about technological standards? Are you a developer? Does Halo 3 do ANYTHING new by these so called technological standards? STOP TALKING OUT OF YOUR ASS PLEASE.

So this is where your stupid "technological standards" comment came from...

Let me explain to you what I mean then...

Comparing MGS4 to any of the games considered the best looking games at the moment (i.e. Gears of War, Crytek, Halo 3, etc.) it looks like nothing special... this is what I meant by today's technological standards, as in, what is considered a next-gen game - doing things that are absolutely not possible on current-gen consoles, and what next-gen games should be doing...

I don't see what was so hard to understand about that, or understanding what I meant when I said MGS4 looks flat - for example, Raiden's belt is hanging down at an angle in that one closeup pic, and you can see that it's as thin as a slice of paper, not to mention that whatever screws or buttons and such that are holding his suit together are flat textures - it looks like a skin suit when the texture design suggests otherwise...

Either you're playing dumb, or just too dense to get what I mean...

And yes, I consider Halo 3 to be following these standards, and I see and read about a gigantic leap forward, worthy of being a next-gen leap, instead of just being Halo 2 in HD - especially where the huge scale is concerned... I don't get this feeling with MGS4 whatsoever...

Kangu said:

Good for you, I humour your silly selective comment a little, and you go and run with it and add a stupid punchline at the end too! Because we all know that I said colour in general was bad, like I wasn't actually talking about "generic designs" as well... well, atleast the entire screen doesn't consist of one general colour theme like quite a few games out there...

I'm going to stop mucking up a perfectly good Halo 3 thread with MGS4 now...

Kangu

Banned
Skilotonn said:
Comparing MGS4 to any of the games considered the best looking games at the moment (i.e. Gears of War, Crytek, Halo 3, etc.) it looks like nothing special... this is what I meant by today's technological standards, as in, what is considered a next-gen game -

Yep. It looks like shit. I myself would not consider a game with next gen physics, next gen animation, next gen lighting, and next gen polycounts, as well as next gen destructible environments to meet the criteria to be considered a next gen game!

doing things that are absolutely not possible on current-gen consoles, and what next-gen games should be doing...

Halo 3 is doing all of these things! Did you see the armor on the master chief? What about the featurless desert in the trailer? Did you see how he puts the rifle on his shoulder? Next gen is here!

I don't see what was so hard to understand about that, or understanding what I meant when I said MGS4 looks flat - for example, Raiden's belt is hanging down at an angle in that one closeup pic, and you can see that it's as thin as a slice of paper, not to mention that whatever screws or buttons and such that are holding his suit together are flat textures - it looks like a skin suit when the texture design suggests otherwise...

926596_20060509_screen001.jpg

I can see your point here. Clearly Kojima's intention here was for Raiden to be wearing big, bulky motocross armor with bumpmaped pock marks. Alas his team is too incompetent to do even that! The PS3 probably can't throw around enough polygons to render squarish space marine armor. We'll have to settle for this low poly, anatomically correct, skin suit with fully modeled muscle structure.

Either you're playing dumb, or just too dense to get what I mean...
I'm not dense, I just overestimated you. I thought maybe you were trolling, but it seems you're serious.

And yes, I consider Halo 3 to be following these standards, and I see and read about a gigantic leap forward, worthy of being a next-gen leap, instead of just being Halo 2 in HD - especially where the huge scale is concerned... I don't get this feeling with MGS4 whatsoever...
You read about this GIGANTIC leap forward did you? Please point me in the direction of these amazing revelations only you seem to know about. Because all I know about the game is that its Halo, the warthog is coming back, the sniper rifle is back as is the assault rifle.

Anyway, I guess you convinced me! I'll wait for MGS 4 on the PS2. After all that's what you're implying right?/

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber

THANKS FOR POSTING MGS4 GOD-****ING-DAMNIT

*goes to forget what he just ****ing saw*

GODDAMNIT

*leaves thread for good*

*sigh*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom