• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Hot Shots Golf 5 Info and Screens

Jonnyram

kpop100 said:
online play is up.
Finally :(

Lobby is cute looking, with the characters looking almost Mii-like. You can communicate by preset phrases (all in Japanese btw) or by typing manually of course.
Any sign of voice chat?

Seems there is a button that lets you access the XMB in game while in this lobby.
So it has to be coded into the game?

Looks like you guys importing Minna no golf 5 will not be able to play online...because in the online set up screen it asks for your location in Japan, so I'm guessing it region locked.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DJmizuhara said:
Looks like you guys importing Minna no golf 5 will not be able to play online...because in the online set up screen it asks for your location in Japan, so I'm guessing it region locked.

Sounds like this is a not a title worth importing. If I end up moving back to the States, I'm going to end up buying this game twice.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DJmizuhara said:

So might we be able to play with our Japan accounts? Either way, no big deal. I skipped 4 so even if I can't play online, I can get acclimated again and enjoy my second favorite sports series, then double dip for the online play when it comes stateside if I'm still into it enough.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DJmizuhara said:

Can't you just give it a fake location?

The game just crashed while I was in the lobby...I then restart the game and restart to online only for it to tell me my version was out of date. I then deleted my online-game info and now I can't connect to the servers...anybody else having problems online?

kay

Y2Kev said:
Can't you just give it a fake location?
He may have meant regional servers, I'd be amazed if they weren't. It just makes sense to have regional because of the language barrier.

kay

DJmizuhara said:
The game just crashed while I was in the lobby...I then restart the game and restart to online only for it to tell me my version was out of date. I then deleted my online-game info and now I can't connect to the servers...anybody else having problems online?
Might have went down, how long has it been up?

Kangu

Banned
I can SEE the trees shimmering just by looking at the screenshots. God I hate shimmering. The dev team should be ashamed.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
God I hate shimmering. The dev team should be ashamed.
If I learned anything over the years, I'd say that Japanese love it though. So I'm fairly certain devs are actually proud of the fact.

Has anybody actually had a game of golf online yet? I get to the lobby and the damn things crashes on me or the servers time-out.

DCharlie

Banned
If I learned anything over the years, I'd say that Japanese love it though. So I'm fairly certain devs are actually proud of the fact

i dunno man, i know we've had this conversation before, but i might do a straw poll...

maybe they are so used to it they don't notice it as much (or don't care) ? I'm not sure they actively 'like' it :( .... at least i friggen hope not!

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
DCharlie said:
i dunno man, i know we've had this conversation before, but i might do a straw poll...

maybe they are so used to it they don't notice it as much (or don't care) ? I'm not sure they actively 'like' it :( .... at least i friggen hope not!

They need to reduce texture shimmering as part of the localization process. I'd rebuy it if they did that (along with english translation of course).

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
An actual conversation(well memory transcript) I once had when showing off our game.

"Japanese gibberish between my boss and publisher guys"
Boss: "They're asking why it looks different then GT, like road and bg objects and stuff"
Me: "Different how?"
Boss: "Less sharp? There's like more pixels visible on road in the distance in GT, and trees etc."
Me: "Yes, that's texture aliasing. GT doesn't use mipmaps like we do, so those pixels shimmer when you move."
Boss: "Well, can you make it so our game will too?"

Crayon Shinchan

Aquafina Fanboy
Fafalada said:
An actual conversation(well memory transcript) I once had when showing off our game.

Boss: "They're asking why it looks different then GT, like road and bg objects and stuff"
Boss: "Less sharp? There's like more pixels visible on road in the distance in GT, and trees etc."
Me: "Yes, that's texture aliasing. GT doesn't use mipmaps like we do, so those pixels shimmer when you move."

Oh... God.

I hope you had the balls to roll your eyes at him and go through a technical explanation of why it's not desirable!

Should've slapped him then and there!

Play-Asia hasn't even shipped it yet. :( This will be the longest wait ever... Must pillage through Blue Dragon and Ninja Gaiden Sigma before this is released.

On the bright side, I guess this'll give them time to work out the server issues...

Jonnyram

Fafalada said:

I guess Polyphony changed their minds anyway because GT5 doesn't appear to have much of it. If only they'd share the anti-shimmering code with stable-mates.

Brofist

There seem to be a lot of questions regarding modes. Here are the modes available in the menus:

Single player -----> Challenge Mode, Stroke, Training

Multiplayer (local)----> Stroke, Match Play

Data--------> Status, VTR, Profile

Options

nofi

kpop100 said:
There seem to be a lot of questions regarding modes. Here are the modes available in the menus:

Single player -----> Challenge Mode, Stroke, Training

Multiplayer (local)----> Stroke, Match Play

Data--------> Status, VTR, Profile

Options

Finally, thanks!

Yesasia is now 'processing' my order, so it's moved beyond pre-order. Yay!

And for online - surely all us importing just pick the same region, then we can play each other?

Brofist

kiryogi said:
So whats the story here? Importers can't play online? D: You cant just choose any prefecture and go with it?

I don't think choosing prefecture does anything, it's just there so other people can see where you are from in your profile.

From early indication, it looks like people outside of Japan wont be able to connect unfortunately, but I hope to be wrong in this case.

nofi

kpop100 said:
From early indication, it looks like people outside of Japan wont be able to connect unfortunately, but I hope to be wrong in this case.

Why would you think that, though?

nofi

AstroLad said:
Yeah, come on Sony throw us a bone here--we're supporting your efforts in Japan!

I just don't understand how people outside of Japan wouldn't be able to connect. I can imagine it only letting Japanese PS3s online, which is another thing entirely.

Blimblim

The Inside Track
Second video by DjMizuhara is online, showing the vs mode:
WMV : http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_4149_en.html
MP4 : http://www.gamersyde.com/leech_4150_en.html
Stream : http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_4149_en.html

1211_0003.jpg

1211_0004.jpg

1211_0007.jpg

1211_0012.jpg

1211_0015.jpg

1211_0016.jpg

Brofist

nofilter said:
Why would you think that, though?

From the mingol.net website, there is some information that seems to pretty much state that online features can only be used by people within Japan.

I've just played 9 holes online and I came away pretty disappointed with the whole experience. First of all you have to book a time to play, and there is only 4 games in the hour with 50 people in each game. ( I have to wait 2hours 45minutes for a game). Once you get into a game U don't see other people playing, you play on your own and at the end of the whole you get taken to a leader board where you see how the other people have gotten on. Pretty lame if you ask me...wasn't worth my 2hours and 45 minutes of waiting around sweating my ass off in front of my PS3, PC, amp and HDTV.

nofi

kpop100 said:
From the mingol.net website, there is some information that seems to pretty much state that online features can only be used by people within Japan.

Oh right, fair enough. Thanks.

DJmizuhara said:
I've just played 9 holes online and I came away pretty disappointed with the whole experience. First of all you have to book a time to play, and there is only 4 games in the hour with 50 people in each game. ( I have to wait 2hours 45minutes for a game). Once you get into a game U don't see other people playing, you play on your own and at the end of the whole you get taken to a leader board where you see how the other people have gotten on. Pretty lame if you ask me...wasn't worth my 2hours and 45 minutes of waiting around sweating my ass off in front of my PS3, PC, amp and HDTV.

Ah, doesn't sound like I'm missing much, then. =(

Did you try the mode where everybody goes at the same time? Might be more fun.

Edit - 'free' mode doesn't start until August, oddly.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
DJmizuhara said:

What? That sounds like the worst online game ever. Sony, Sony, Sony. Hopefully they fix it up for HSG but who knows. Makes zero sense not to be able to, you know, actually play with other people. I guess the online's not too much of a loss then, since we can basically get the same thing by saying "guys, play course X and post your score here." It's not like HSG is going to be this amazing online experience necessarily but still, at a bare minimum just replicate the offline experience.

Brofist

DJmizuhara said:

I checked the play times, I could have gotten into a game within 15 minutes, so it might depend on which room or lobby you are in?

But yeah sounds kinda weak..free play might be more fun.

Snowball

Banned
Concerning the button configuration:

What do you use to shot the ball?
[] The O button
[] The X button

Usually PAL and JAP version use O to shot, while USA uses X.
But the japanese demo used X to shot (i'm not used to it).

Could u tell me about the japanese retail version?
Thanks.

nofi

Snowball said:
Concerning the button configuration:

What do you use to shot the ball?
[] The O button
[] The X button

Usually PAL and JAP version use O to shot, while USA uses X.
But the japanese demo used X to shot (i'm not used to it).

Could u tell me about the japanese retail version?
Thanks.

Japanese demo used circle, at least it did on my PAL machine. I'd imagine the full game does too.

Edit - you're probably asking which button does what on a US machine. Sorry.

Snowball

Banned
nofilter said:
Japanese demo used circle, at least it did on my PAL machine. I'd imagine the full game does too.

Edit - you're probably asking which button does what on a US machine. Sorry.

Nope, you understood everything right.

I've 3 accounts on my ps3.
Main (PAL), USA and JAP.

I'm pretty sure that I launched the demo from the PAL user account.
And I had the shot on the X (it is a pain for me, used to circle).

Do you understand what's wrong?!?

Top Bottom