• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New information on FF Versus XIII and Agito XIII from Nomura

Beth Cyra

duckroll said:
You can set anything you want, I think his co-workers are just being dicks. :)

Well if thats the case I doubt the poor guy has much of a chance at getting them into any type of tournament mode either. Probably know he is good enough to kick there ass if they won't use an alt setup that takes one button press.

KTallguy

Banned
duckroll said:
You can set anything you want, I think his co-workers are just being dicks. :)

It's possible that I was just ignorant. :lol

All I know is that they spent hours and hours and hours grinding, and god willing they were going to smite the fuck out of me with uber powerful items :lol

I was like "how are you doing that?" and he was like "oh this item, there's a 1% drop rate if you use this attack against this character", and I said "yea, I think I'm done" and went back to playing Darkstalkers at lunch :lol

Speaking of lunch!!! Time to goooo~~

Beth Cyra

KTallguy said:
It's possible that I was just ignorant. :lol

All I know is that they spent hours and hours and hours grinding, and god willing they were going to smite the fuck out of me with uber powerful items :lol

I was like "how are you doing that?" and he was like "oh this item, there's a 1% drop rate if you use this attack against this character", and I said "yea, I think I'm done" and went back to playing Darkstalkers at lunch :lol

Speaking of lunch!!! Time to goooo~~

Yeah go into your character card, you know how you can swtich your outfit? You can also switch your load out, I think you have a total of three options. Just use one for a naked character and shift the lvl to 1.

TreIII

duckroll said:
I dunno, I don't think Dissidia is really all that broken at all. In fact, for what it is, it's pretty well balanced, and considering this is S-E's first ever internal attempt at a fighter, it's amazingly well balanced. Yes, it would be unbalanced if you're a low level character going up against a high level character loaded with tons of cheap attacks, but that's another thing, the game doesn't have an online mode: it's NOT meant to be played with random strangers online.

The game is designed more like how card battle games are designed, where a lot of the restrictions and handicaps are up to the players to set. As long as you're playing with friends, it's not too hard to balance up a fight regardless of what level your characters are, or what attacks you have or lack.

That sort of thing works for Japan, where the PSP is still a valid gaming platform, and getting together for Adhoc opportunities work just as well for Dissidia as it does for MHP. But again, it doesn't work nearly as well in the West, and that's why Dissidia probably didn't catch on nearly as well as it could have over here.

If SE wants Dissidia to have a good chance at really making a good sized splash in the West, obviously, some things would need to be changed. Decent netcode, a real "structure" to the game's Vs. portion with various match-types and etc., as well as a possible console port (if not wholeheartedly moving to the PS3), are all pretty much a given thing for it to ever be taken "seriously" in the West.

If SE is fine with catering to the fan base that they already possess, fine. But they're never going to get Dissidia's appeal to expand without making at least some changes of this sort.

duckroll

TreIII said:
That sort of thing works for Japan, where the PSP is still a valid gaming platform, and getting together for Adhoc opportunities work just as well for Dissidia as it does for MHP. But again, it doesn't work nearly as well in the West, and that's why Dissidia probably didn't catch on nearly as well as it could have over here.

If SE wants Dissidia to have a good chance at really making a good sized splash in the West, obviously, some things would need to be changed. Decent netcode, a real "structure" to the game's Vs. portion with various match-types and etc., as well as a possible console port (if not wholeheartedly moving to the PS3), are all pretty much a given thing for it to ever be taken "seriously" in the West.

If SE is fine with catering to the fan base that they already possess, fine. But they're never going to get Dissidia's appeal to expand without making at least some changes of this sort.

Hey I didn't say it was a good idea outside of Japan, I was just explaining how it is. As it is, for the intended purpose, the design was pretty well balanced. The options are there to even any battle up.

TreIII

duckroll said:
Hey I didn't say it was a good idea outside of Japan, I was just explaining how it is.

I know. And I was just explaining why I think it's a structure that I could definitely make a case for it being in the "needs improvement" section. :lol

Beth Cyra

TreIII said:
I know. And I was just explaining why I think it's a structure that I could definitely make a case for it being in the "needs improvement" section. :lol

Does it though? Not to say you are wrong or nothing but if Dissidia II is a PSP exclusive would it be worth it to put in all the extra work when it is likely to sell less in NA then Japan?

TreIII

TruePrime said:
Does it though? Not to say you are wrong or nothing but if Dissidia II is a PSP exclusive would it be worth it to put in all the extra work when it is likely to sell less in NA then Japan?

My thinking is like so: Keep it on the PSP, with the same/similar set-up as before and it's guaranteed to sell less in NA than Japan. At least if you offer a port of the game on another console that's NOT practically dead in the West, you have a chance of turning the tide.

Maybe it's not the best correlation to make, but I'll still throw it out there: Tekken 5: DR for PSP was a nice thing, but it wasn't until the up-scaled, PS3 PSN port came out (and then online soon afterward) that the game really started to catch on, especially in the West. And the reason why should be simple - a community-based game of that sort just was not going to fly until it had certain amenities that would best work for the game's purposes. Again, especially in the West. :D

Beth Cyra

TreIII said:
My thinking is like so: Keep it on the PSP, with the same/similar set-up as before and it's guaranteed to sell less in NA than Japan. At least if you offer a port of the game on another console that's NOT practically dead in the West, you have a chance of turning the tide.

Maybe it's not the best correlation to make, but I'll still throw it out there: Tekken 5: DR for PSP was a nice thing, but it wasn't until the up-scaled, PS3 PSN port came out (and then online soon afterward) that the game really started to catch on, especially in the West. And the reason why should be simple - a community-based game of that sort just was not going to fly until it had certain amenities that would best work for the game's purposes. Again, especially in the West. :D

Well I have no idea, you could be right. I guess I figured they would reuse the engine and if they did would keep it on PSP giving the fanbase they built on it another game.

For some reason I always thought that Tekken 5 DR PS3 was a port of another version and not the PSP. Learn something everyday I suppose.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
BumRush said:
Any guesses at what the unannounced games could be...?

Chrono Break

Defuser

If they ever gonna make the Dissidia 2,fix the break system. It gives too much points for breaking the enemy ending the match too fast.

Beth Cyra

lsslave said:
If its Kingdom Hearts 3 I will absolutely COMPLETELY fucking lose it with excitement.

If it isn't then meh.

Really?

I mean why don't we wait until Vs XIII has a release date before bringing up III which he said would be on a console.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I remember reading this article about Dissidia being on the PS3 and 360.

But yeah, that was a fake article.

Dambrosi

Banned
TruePrime said:
Well I have no idea, you could be right. I guess I figured they would reuse the engine and if they did would keep it on PSP giving the fanbase they built on it another game.

For some reason I always thought that Tekken 5 DR PS3 was a port of another version and not the PSP. Learn something everyday I suppose.
5DR PS3 wasn't a PSP port, it was an upscaled port of the arcade version with the PSP version's character customization added, among other things. The PSP version has less polygons on the characters and a version of Tekken 5 PS2's Story Mode, for example, whereas 5DR PS3 was a more-or-less stripped-down, pure arcade port (until the online upgrade, at least).

Beth Cyra

Dambrosi said:
5DR PS3 wasn't a PSP port, it was an upscaled port of the arcade version with the PSP version's character customization added, among other things. The PSP version has less polygons on the characters and a version of Tekken 5 PS2's Story Mode, for example, whereas 5DR PS3 was a more-or-less stripped-down, pure arcade port (until the online upgrade, at least).

Well if that is the case then that really can't speak much for the chance of Dissidia getting a similar thing, there is no Arcade version and it would take alot more work to get a game made specifically for PSP up and going, if they are going to list it as a PS3 game that is.

I guess there is the PS3 PSP emulation that people spoke of thanks to the Minis but that would still be a PSP game.

Wow ... that sounds absolutely fantastic. Haven't read the whole thread (will tomorrow when I have more time and this probably has 25 more pages :lol ) but this sounds like a fantastic game.

I really hope the battle system isn't too simplistic though. That was my problem with FFXIII and this being an 'action' RPG I'm not sure of the direction. Can't wait either way, sounds awesome.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
TruePrime said:
Really?

I mean why don't we wait until Vs XIII has a release date before bringing up III which he said would be on a console.

BECAUSE it will be on a console? I have no PSP, wont have a PSP (I have enough games to play without one, sometimes we have to accept we can't have EVERY great game :( ) ever and I really want more Nomura titles? I really like his work, haters be damned, and KH3 I am dying for as well as more releases from a developer I appreciate :D

ULTROS!

louis89 said:
Have you guys seen the new scans? I can't seem to find a thread on it.

New scans? From this week's Famitsu?

ULTROS!

Are there new pictures of Versus XIII? :O

Need to know the details!

ULTROS!

Darn, I thought there was an early Famitsu leak or something. Oh well.

*dances*

Versus is finally getting voice acting, it's finally getting voice acting. Wait... *disc scratches* There's no release date? Tsk, tsk, Nomura, you better have a good in-game trailer of Versus this TGS.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
badcrumble said:
I feel like it's possible that main characters could've been cast already, isn't it?

Nomura says currently casting. I'm sure we'll see a new trailer with voice acting at TGS.

Aeana

Strangely, voice recording tends to be one of the last things done in a lot of Japanese games. They even do the event scenes before recording voice in a lot of cases. It's honestly very encouraging to hear that stuff is being/soon to be recorded for these games.

Aeana said:
Strangely, voice recording tends to be one of the last things done in a lot of Japanese games. They even do the event scenes before recording voice in a lot of cases. It's honestly very encouraging to hear that stuff is being/soon to be recorded for these games.
Don't tell me things like this!

lastinline said:
I know, just think, by this time next year, we will have so much Final Fantasy Versus XIII news, it will be hard to keep up with. Hopefully that happens.
Urgh but I want it to be out by this time next year.

AAK

TGS?? Sigh, reality check time:

kh_closed_mega_theatre_2.jpg

Just photoshop noctis and company on there and that's pretty much all the media I'm expecting from this game this year.

ULTROS!

Kagari said:
Except there wasn't one last year, sort of.

Well... I guess a closed mega theatre is better than 2 lies (Versus XIII not appearing in any form at TGS09 and Jump Festa 2010).

badcrumble said:
Urgh but I want it to be out by this time next year.

At least we got a few "gameplay" screenshots recently!

dramatis

ULTROS! said:
Well... I guess a closed mega theatre is better than 2 lies (Versus XIII not appearing in any form at TGS09 and Jump Festa 2010).

At least we got a few "gameplay" screenshots recently!

I can't help but think about how earnest you were about Vs13 showing at E3. Maybe you'll be lucky this time.

I'm actually hoping they wait until closer to game release to give out more information. Otherwise people will be hanging forever.

ULTROS!

At least I got the month right that they'll show something new.

:(

Skilletor

Yasae said:
BBS and CoM. Spinoffs.

I shouldn't say I don't like them, but I am extremely uninterested in them.

BbS isn't a spinoff. New worlds, new music, new story, evolution of the KH battle system. Mainline entry.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Nomura commented on Versus again today through Twitter...
basically he mentions a viewing of the movies for Versus the other day, and he was surprised how different they looked (from the original ones that we've all seen, I assume).

He also said the game sections are in a variety of progress, and with Visual Works (Square's CG studio) in charge of the movie parts.

Top Bottom