• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New information on FF Versus XIII and Agito XIII from Nomura

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I wonder if its better CGI or better gameplay graphics (like the one we saw on the FFXIII Demo Disc). Hopefully its both.

QuiteWhittle said:
Neither of them are technically spinoffs.

True. But I wouldn't consider them main entries either. Just intermediate games meant to fill in holes.

But the two games this thread is about, those are the definition of "spinoff" (not that there is anything wrong with that).

Nose Master

H_Prestige said:
True. But I wouldn't consider them main entries either. Just intermediate games meant to fill in holes.

But the two games this thread is about, those are the definition of "spinoff" (not that there is anything wrong with that).

BbS should have really just been called KH3.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
The public showing for TGS, details are still secret.

ULTROS! said:
I wonder if its better CGI or better gameplay graphics (like the one we saw on the FFXIII Demo Disc). Hopefully its both.

By 'movie' Nomura is talking about the CG scenes, since that's what Visual Works does.

BlueWord

H_Prestige said:
That would be confusing because timeline-wise, it is KH0.

Worked for Metal Gear. Given the comparable levels of retarded in both series, I'd say it'd work for KH, too.

Though, honestly, KH one-upped MGS, in this case. "Birth by Sleep" totally takes the retard cake over numbering out of sequence.

BlueWord said:
Worked for Metal Gear. Given the comparable levels of retarded in both series, I'd say it'd work for KH, too.

Though, honestly, KH one-upped MGS, in this case. "Birth by Sleep" totally takes the retard cake over numbering out of sequence.

That's true. But at the end of the day, it only matters what SE themselves name it, and they didn't name it KH3. I think Nomura has even referenced KH3 a number of times as some future project, and not BBS.

BlueWord

H_Prestige said:
That's true. But at the end of the day, it only matters what SE themselves name it, and they didn't name it KH3. I think Nomura has even referenced KH3 a number of times as some future project, and not BBS.

Yeah, you're right, of course. I was just commenting.

duckroll said:
There are two things I would really like in Dissidia 2:

- Partner/Tag system. Either allow players to pick two characters instead of one, and tag in/out, giving access to a much larger combination of attacks in any given battle, or create a Partner system which introduces a ton of non-combat characters from the FF games which can be used to perform support skills or attacks which work in combination with the combat character.

- Mission mode. Offer a more robust single player mode for leveling up characters and earning high level equipment. Missions can be like mini-Musou like stages filled with FF monsters where you just plow through a dungeon killing monsters. Co-op would be a plus.

As a batshit crazy fan of the game, I completely agree with the ideas in this post. 1:1 fights are great and all, but I think the real step forward with a sequel would be 2 on 2, whatever form that may take. A tag/swap system would be the simplest idea, but another could be to call on assistance from supporting characters, similar to the assistant trophies from Smash Bros. Brawl. This could make for a more exciting game and a perfectly justifiable reason to drown the sequel in classic characters - giving fans everything they could want from a nerdy crossover. :) (edit) In retrospect you articulated this idea a lot better than I did.

Story - Why use up all that disc space with KH-style cutscenes when you could give us more content instead? I would LOVE to see the story told using the in-game engines of all the FF's, respective to each characters story, like Terra's would be told using FFVI sprites. Simple and very very effective. The story was nice in Dissidia but it kinda overbeared what was essentially a damn good arena fighting game.

More content - I want much more music and arenas, and different EX modes, not just the same attacks over and over. More rules, options, modes, things to tweak, giving it that Smash Bros 'toy box' feel.

Characters - realistically, three characters from FFI to XIII each, or at a push four, plus surprises. I would like KH to have some kind of presence just so the game can justifiably have all that glorious battle music the series is famous for. I think Ramza would also be good. I can see some villains being chopped and changed - maybe, say Cloud of Darkness for Xande, Exdeath for Gilgamesh, Ultimecia for Edea etc.

Must-include characters, IMO: Kain, Tifa, Vivi, Seifer, Yuna, Balthier, Lightning.

TreIII

Itchy//Tasty said:
As a batshit crazy fan of the game, I completely agree with the ideas in this post. 1:1 fights are great and all, but I think the real step forward with a sequel would be 2 on 2, whatever form that may take. A tag/swap system would be the simplest idea, but another could be to call on assistance from supporting characters, similar to the assistant trophies from Smash Bros. Brawl. This could make for a more exciting game and a perfectly justifiable reason to drown the sequel in classic characters - giving fans everything they could want from a nerdy crossover. :)

At this point, going for a sort of 2 v 2 set-up will likely be what they have in mind (especially if the game remains on the PSP). After all, by this point, even the likes of RGG/Yakuza's PSP game are going to have a 2 v 2 Brawl mode, and Bamco+Capcom's Gundam Vs. series has long since made it into a main attraction. If SE hasn't already considered the notion of pushing for 2 v 2 as a least another play mode, they had ought to.

More content - I want much more music and arenas, and different EX modes, not just the same attacks over and over. More rules, options, modes, things to tweak, giving it that Smash Bros 'toy box' feel.

Yeah, this. This right here. I could really see Dissidia's meta-game taking on a life of its own (and even better, splintering off into different factions, if need be), if they pushed for something that allowed for more "order" from the chaos. It definitely worked for Smash, and I could see Dissidia doing similar.

BlueWord

Kagari said:
Planning director Jun Akiyama prefers to do most cutscenes in real time/in-engine.

I prefer this, honestly. Makes things appear more consistent.

Though, I will say that FFXIII, for all it's faults, obviously went to great lengths to minimize the gap between CG and real time, and was very successful in doing so. I'd expect nothing less from Versus.

Shadowlink said:
So they still haven't released a gameplay trailer yet?

The only gameplay is still the "test footage" they showed behind curtain at TGS last year as far as I know. At Jump, they showed a short realtime cut scene.

Yasae

Banned
Skilletor said:
BbS isn't a spinoff. New worlds, new music, new story, evolution of the KH battle system. Mainline entry.
So I'd be totally clueless what the story was upon playing KH3 if I didn't play this? I have a strong feeling that's not true. Call me crazy. CoM was most certainly a spinoff. The relevant info there was thin.

Still, my interest is at an all time low regarding the faux complexity of the KH universe.

B.K.

Yasae said:
So I'd be totally clueless what the story was upon playing KH3 if I didn't play this?

I don't know about that, but from what I"ve read of the plot, Birth by Sleep does fill in a couple of plot holes from the first two games. It's definitely more important than Chain of Memories and 356/2 Days.

Yasae said:
So I'd be totally clueless what the story was upon playing KH3 if I didn't play this? I have a strong feeling that's not true. Call me crazy. CoM was most certainly a spinoff. The relevant info there was thin.

Still, my interest is at an all time low regarding the faux complexity of the KH universe.

Actually you'd be pretty damn clueless.

Just like KH2 and COM. Stuff about Sora randomly waking up in a pod and Namine would be confusing if you didn't play or spoil COM.

AndriaSang said:
The only gameplay is still the "test footage" they showed behind curtain at TGS last year as far as I know. At Jump, they showed a short realtime cut scene.
So meaning they still haven't showed the public anything besides those scans from a while back. Hopefully that means we see some gameplay at TGS!

duckroll

TreIII said:
A bit more that may lend itself well to ducky's theory.

http://member.square-enix.com/jp/special/dissidia/

Apparently, SE did a poll on characters that people would have wanted to see in Dissidia. Really sounds like they'll be gearing up for a sequel some time soon...

That's not the only thing. The original Dissidia (with JP voices, not Universal Tuning) will be re-released as Ultimate Hits on 16th Sept. It will also be released on PSN, making both Dissidia releases in Japan available on PSN finally.

Clearly they're gearing up for something.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
If they were to feature FFXIII in Dissidia 2, I wonder who'd they put? Lightning and uh...?

TreIII

duckroll said:
That's not the only thing. The original Dissidia (with JP voices, not Universal Tuning) will be re-released as Ultimate Hits on 16th Sept. It will also be released on PSN, making both Dissidia releases in Japan available on PSN finally.

Clearly they're gearing up for something.

Well, shoot. :lol

*braces for an inevitable TGS announcement*

ULTROS!

Yahg maybe?

The thing is in Dissidia, both the protagonists and antagonists have a certain relation with each other and these villains are quite notable.

ULTROS! said:
Yahg maybe?

The thing is in Dissidia, both the protagonists and antagonists have a certain relation with each other and these villains are quite notable.

Then they're still screwed on the FFXIII front, aren't they.

ULTROS!

Only on the antagonist side I guess.

dili

Well Vaan and Vayne didn't have much relations with each other in XII either and I imagine those will be picked for Dissidia 2, even though it should be Basch.

I'm really hoping we see Final Fantasy Tactics characters in Dissidia 2. Ramza and Wiegraf would be great inclusions.

Beth Cyra

ULTROS! said:
Yahg maybe?

But it maybe becaue of this that we see someone other then Main Lead/Villian in.

Fang being against Roy Mustang would fit pretty well given their relationship in game not only that but it would add yet another character to the villian side that isn't there because they are evi.

The only antagonist in FFXIII I actually liked was
Cid Raines, who wasn't a villain but being manipulated by the Fal'Cie, I thought his character was well done and could definitely see his 'ultimate' form being a good playable in Dissidia. Problem is, he's not really a bad guy (or Light's Nemesis), but then Golbez and Jecht are pretty morally grey, too.

With Dissidia II, I would be excited to give Lightning some REAL villians to fight (Sephiroth, Kefka..), as it was sorely lacking in her actual game. :)

Regarding FFXII, most of the heroes have an opposing force: Balthier=Cid, Ashe=Vayne, Basch=Gabranth, Vaan=no-one in particular. So any of those could work. I think the most likely is Ashe and Vayne, but that would eliminate Balthier....your move, Square.

Skilletor

Yasae said:

I'll let you know after I've played kh3.

Also, If you're playing kh for the story... Well, that's as silly as reading alphabet soup for the words.

Jigsaw

Banned
Seda said:
I would say Chain of Memories is pretty much a necessary play if you want to even have any chance of understanding KH2.

i played com on gba for 6-7 hours before i quit in boredom,never finished it...played kh2,thought i understand most of it,got the english version of recom later and played through both playthroughs (it was still boring as hell but the cutscenes kept me playing)

so,i played kh2 before com and still think com isn't necessary because kh2 itself explains the relevant stuff pretty well in flashbacks

Yasae

Banned
Fimbulvetr said:
Actually you'd be pretty damn clueless.

Just like KH2 and COM. Stuff about Sora randomly waking up in a pod and Namine would be confusing if you didn't play or spoil COM.
Okay but I played the two mainline games. There was nothing confusing about it. It's not required reading. The void isn't nearly as vast as removing KH 1 and 2 and trying to piece things together. They're not spinoffs, fine, I don't care. That doesn't raise my interest.

Skilletor

Yasae said:
Okay but I played the two mainline games. There was nothing confusing about it. It's not required reading. The void isn't nearly as vast as removing KH 1 and 2 and trying to piece things together. They're not spinoffs, fine, I don't care. That doesn't raise my interest.

I don't understand how a person who enjoyed the gameplay of KH1 and KH2 could say they are not interested in BbS.

Yasae said:

I'm going to have to ask you what you want from KH games in the first place.

Yasae

Banned
Skilletor said:
Apparently it isn't new disney worlds, evolution of the KH battle system, or an amazing new Shimomura OST.
Maybe it isn't. You don't really get anything I'm trying to say.

The further down the rabbit hole the games went, the less interested I became. It's not open for debate.

Yasae

Banned
BocoDragon said:
Rename this thread to "Square Enix Chat Room".
"Arguing over the Internots"

I'm not the one who went into Dissidia et al. I suppose it's necessary to mention them in passing since this thread would be DOA considering the amount of info on Versus and Agito.

Skilletor said:
I'll let you know after I've played kh3.

Also, If you're playing kh for the story... Well, that's as silly as reading alphabet soup for the words.

Admitting to playing 358/2 for the gameplay is worse than admitting to playing it for the story.

Top Bottom