• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Kirby Wii (HAL), Pandora's Tower, More [Confirmed, Kirby Trailer Added]

Shiggy

evangd007 said:
I find it very surprising that Nintendo themselves are bringing Goldeneye over to Japan yet are hesitant to bring Xenoblade and The Last Story to the West. It's a shame that jRPGs' stock amongst Western gamers is so low that the only ones that are localized are for handhelds due to the fact that those don't tend to have voice acting.

They are hesitant? They are slow.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
evangd007 said:
I find it very surprising that Nintendo themselves are bringing Goldeneye over to Japan yet are hesitant to bring Xenoblade and The Last Story to the West. It's a shame that jRPGs' stock amongst Western gamers is so low that the only ones that are localized are for handhelds due to the fact that those don't tend to have voice acting.
Ugh, I would totally play Xenoblade with Japanese voices.

Pyrokai

Ah, so here's the software everyone was complaining about missing. I knew you'd come through, Nintendo!

Anyway, how were Rhythm Heaven's sales in the US? Chances of the Wii one being localized any good?

Also, HAL's got two Kirby games in the works, then, right? Remember the one for DS that was shown not too long ago? HAL's an awesome developer and all, but I really wish they'd stop being the Kirby factory for just a little while :p

leroidys

evangd007 said:

This is solely NOA being complete and utter shit this gen, doesn't have much to do with NOJ.

KamenSenshi

Hero of Legend said:
Can't one just redownload them on DSi? Like it's a file transfer and not like an account transfer?
There was a rumor that it would be tied to a Club Nintendo account, but nothing has been confirmed. I wish they would just go ahead and say how its gonna work, cause for once I'd actually like to take advantage of the 100 credit trade in at Game Stop. Wonder if they haven't worked it out yet, sorta like the eShop.

Holy Order Sol said:
Didn't that sell something horrible like 6k in the first month in the US? I remember it being pretty sad.
I remember reading a sales figure like in someones avatar. And to think I'm partially to blame due to importing a copy from Canada (
I decided there was no hope of a European release and tried to warn others but they were like "bu,bu,but ONM saids its comines ouit"
)

Also the game didn't have much positive journalism going for it. I don't remember much in the way of reviews and those that did exist were fairly negative. Plus I wonder if it would have fared better if it got the 3rd Augsut release it was meant to have rather than the late October (?) release it got (as the Wii was weeks away). In either case the Gamecube had been dead for months and I'd hope the people who decided releases are not so narrow minded as don't sit down and go "Xenoblade is by Monolith, those people who made that Baten Kaitos game that didn't sell, therefore this won't sell, rejected".

Ushojax said:
I thought Rhythm Heaven controlled perfectly. It was a brutally difficult game to get all perfects on, but I managed it eventually. It's one of those games where you either have the rhythmic ability to play it well or you don't. Something like Lockstep is just not going to be doable for some people.
I have to ask if you played the GBA version? The point I bolded is making me wonder if the GBA version was "too easy" or something as I can play that one well enough (making me assume I have the rhythmic ability) but am fairly hopeless with the DS version (except Love Lizards). Maybe its due to me being left handed (yes, I have the game set to left-handed) and finding the controls difficult (so concentrating more on getting these right and less on the action meaning I only end up doing worse as I'm effecitvely multitasking). It could be the left handed thing actually, brain hemespheres and all that.

It might also be a case that I'm associating my failiure more with instances of of the controls letting me down leading to an incredible frustration with the game rather than a case of "yeah, I totally miss-timed that down button press". Could also be an expectation thing.

To sum it all up. Why couldn't there be both button and touch screen, then everyone could be happy. As it stands I have to be on the disassitifed line and decide to draw myself into this debate most times this game is mentioned...

swerve said:
The video very strongly hints at motion controls (slam down/fling forward - they are all things which the Wii remote is good at).
As was said earlier some of them are too fast to be purley motion. Plus the whole slight motion lag and I assmue the narrow timing windows could make it a mess (that has anyone looked into the frame count of the timing windows on these games, I know people did for Mother 3 and I think they found the Monther 3 ones were a couple of frames making them narrower than most music games), kind of like playing Punch-Out with motion controls.

That said, can't people re-map motions to buttons using Ocarina codes these days using Wii Homebrew? Isn't that what happened with DKRs waggle to roll stuff.

Shiggy

leroidys said:
This is solely NOA being complete and utter shit this gen, doesn't have much to do with NOJ.

Nintendo is a Japanese company. You do not really think that NoA and NoE have much to say when it comes to a title like Xenoblade or Last Story. That decision is made in Japan.

One thing the OP forgot to mention is that Iwata also confirmed they are working on bringing more Pokemon out for Wii and DS!

So that's three newly announced Wii games:

- Pandora's Tower: Kimi no Moto e Kaeru made
- New Kirby Game (from developer Hal Labs)
- Untitled Pokemon Project

Plus we got our first trailer for Rhythm Heaven Wii!

also Japan gets two games that are already out in the U.S.

Vinci

Danish
So they are going to keep supporting the Wii? And the West might get the JRPGs at some point? And a new IP? And Kirby looks good?

Okay. Not bad.

If they bring out a Zelda collection without Link's Awakening or LttP in it, though, I will fucking blow up Japan. Hell, Zelda 2 better be in that bitch.

apana

I will pay good money for a zelda collection, especially if they give me a free golden classic controller as a bonus.

YEEEAAAAAAAH....that's what I am talking about...

epic yarn was cute and all, but THIS is what I have been yearning for...thank you nintendo.

evangd007

leroidys said:

Well, extensive voice acting is expensive, so I gather that's why they won't bring those over as opposed to non-RPG Wii games like Sin & Punishment 2 (little VA) or DS RPGs like Dragon Quest IX (no VA). The expense is not worth the roll of the dice, especially with jRPG popularity being in such a sad state in the West.

Vinci said:
So they are going to keep supporting the Wii? And the West might get the JRPGs at some point? And a new IP? And Kirby looks good?

Okay. Not bad.

If they bring out a Zelda collection without Link's Awakening or LttP in it, though, I will fucking blow up Japan. Hell, Zelda 2 better be in that bitch.

I don't know if Xenoblade still being on the list for the West as Monado and absolutely no mention of The Last Story for the West gives me much hope.

apana said:
I will pay good money for a zelda collection, especially if they give me a free golden classic controller as a bonus.
Golden classic controller already sold with GoldenEye..How about a Golden Triforce!
coin as preorder bonus <-Realistic

Hmm, it looks like Kirby with those special effects would've been awesome on 3DS... We're already have Kirby for Wii (it's not even out here!) and another one within a year seems a little soon if you ask me.

swerve

Boney said:
No motion. You can bet your ass on that.

Why so sure? The new movie has 'throwing' and 'slashing' as primary actions. Considering the DS version is such a hit in Japan, and the GBA version was so niche, I'd say they'll be targetting the motion crowd.

Teknoman

C'mon full blown pokemon game that connects to Black and White. Would be nice if it was an actual RPG with online battle/MP battle elements like the others on Gamecube (with better production values of course).

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Starwolf_UK said:
I have to ask if you played the GBA version? The point I bolded is making me wonder if the GBA version was "too easy" or something as I can play that one well enough (making me assume I have the rhythmic ability) but am fairly hopeless with the DS version (except Love Lizards). Maybe its due to me being left handed (yes, I have the game set to left-handed) and finding the controls difficult (so concentrating more on getting these right and less on the action meaning I only end up doing worse as I'm effecitvely multitasking). It could be the left handed thing actually, brain hemespheres and all that.

Yep, I own both the GBA and DS versions, and I have spent so much time on the DS game that I can literally play it with my eyes closed. It could be due to your handedness, but like I said, sometimes touch controls + challenging rhythm gameplay is a leap too far for people. People had the same problem with Elite Beat Agents, a friend of mine just couldn't get his head around it.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Vinci said:

Okay. Not bad.

They'll probably just reissue the GC The Wind Waker Bonus Disc. Deal with it.

apana

Regulus Tera said:
They'll probably just reissue the GC The Wind Waker Bonus Disc. Deal with it.

I would like to see a wind waker remake for wii if they wont for 3DS. Just add a few dungeons, boss battles, hyrule exploration, and motion controlled toon sword and all is well.

leroidys

Shiggy said:
Nintendo is a Japanese company. You do not really think that NoA and NoE have much to say when it comes to a title like Xenoblade or Last Story. That decision is made in Japan.

Yes? NOJ does not publish games in America.

Wow I'm glad Nintendo called Goldeneye a hit. I was a little worried about it. Hopefully it does well in Japan.. it really deserves it.

KirbyWii looks nice! I cant wait for Pandora's Tower info.

Shiggy

leroidys said:
Yes? NOJ does not publish games in America.

Well, and? When it comes to Nintendo's coordination strategy, they take a centralistic approach. Did you never wonder why NCL has so much to say when they produce games with Western partners? NoE and NoA get told which games to localise, with only a few exceptions (e.g. Jam with the Band) which do not get much attention though.

Boney

Banned
swerve said:
Why so sure? The new movie has 'throwing' and 'slashing' as primary actions. Considering the DS version is such a hit in Japan, and the GBA version was so niche, I'd say they'll be targetting the motion crowd.
Because they'd be going against one of the core principles of the RT franchise.

defferoo

Shiggy said:
Well, and? When it comes to Nintendo's coordination strategy, they take a centralistic approach. Did you never wonder why NCL has so much to say when they produce games with Western partners? NoE and NoA get told which games to localise, with only a few exceptions (e.g. Jam with the Band) which do not get much attention though.

this. reggie said in an interview that NCL controls which games get localized here. so it's not NOA screwing us, I'm pretty sure Reggie wants to bring those games over, it's NCL.

evangd007 said:
I don't know if Xenoblade still being on the list for the West as Monado and absolutely no mention of The Last Story for the West gives me much hope.
Those release lists are basically:
IF {NOA/NOE announced at something, even at tradeshow like E3, list} ELSE {do not list}
Last Story has not been announced by NOA and nor has anything about Monodo changing name or even coming out so they can't list such things. Plus they didn't even list the stuff they showed at the show to investors in the supplimentary list (Kirby Wii, Pandora's Tower etc).

Basically, it means litlle, if anything at all (they're just names in a list so an investor can read it and be satisfied enough games are coming out and that Nintendo has a future), as Line Attack Heroes on the list should tell you, plus (if you've been follow these things for a while) the whole Famicom Wars DS 2 thing that for the last few years every 3 months someone would go "OMG new Advance Wars, what do you mean thats just days of ruin and Japan has not got it yet" ... and they never did either. (off-topic mublings about Famicom Wars demise in Japan)
Makes me wonder if the GBA versions late release kind of destroyed that franchises popularity in Japan (I guess another example of an external factor ruining Nintendo's plans) and wasn't the direction change of Days of Ruin bizzaringly trying to make it more appealing to westerners (as it already had western appeal by virtue of it selling) by being serious.

Ushojax said:
Yep, I own both the GBA and DS versions, and I have spent so much time on the DS game that I can literally play it with my eyes closed. It could be due to your handedness, but like I said, sometimes touch controls + challenging rhythm gameplay is a leap too far for people. People had the same problem with Elite Beat Agents, a friend of mine just couldn't get his head around it.
I have Elite Beat Agents and have never palyed it. Now I know what my goal for this weekend is; fail misrebly at playing Elite Beat Agents.

leroidys

Shiggy said:

They are the parent company. I am totally open to the possibility of being completely wrong, but my understanding is that NOA gets to run its own business, including deciding which games to publish. If you have any links supporting the assertion that NCL tells them what games they can not publish then I would be happy to be corrected.

Blizzard

Banned
If it's a new kirby and not remake-ish, then ^___________^ ! I still haven't finished Epic Yarn, which was cute, but even more kiddy-ish and easy than I had expected, I guess.

Chris1964

Sales-Age Genius
leroidys said:
They are the parent company. I am totally open to the possibility of being completely wrong, but my understanding is that NOA gets to run its own business, including deciding which games to publish. If you have any links supporting the assertion that NCL tells them what games they can not publish then I would be happy to be corrected.
This is not happening. You don't need any links to prove it. NCL decides for everything.

FoneBone

Chris1964 said:
This is not happening. You don't need any links to prove it. NCL decides for everything.
NCL can exert some pressure, but that they "decide for everything" doesn't stand up to 15 seconds of scrutiny when it comes to what NoE's picked up and NoA hasn't.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Was planning on picking up a wii soon. Think I should wait till the end of February to see if nintendo does anything for Zelda's 25th?

SuomiDude

This always happens. People complain how Nintendo has no games left for year xxxx, and then there's new announcements all of a sudden. And this cycle repeates year after year, and people never learn. It's actually funny to see it happen, but kinda sad at the same time.

Shiggy

leroidys said:

Although it's widely known that, there are only few official comments. They aren't very fond of this and NCL seems to keep this rather secret.

This is the only one I could find right now:

"The number of Japanese titles that don't make it over has been a burning question in a number of folks' minds, so I asked about how that works. Denise told me Nintendo of America actually has very-little-to-no say about which titles escape Japan to go worldwide; NCL makes all decisions when porting games to new regions."

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=3855

But you can believe, NCL takes a very centralistic approach.
When it comes to certain games that only come to Europe or the US, they look at sales of comparable games in either region. It's not quite easy to explain all this.

apana said:
Doesn't Iwata have final say on everything since he's..um.. the boss?

Not really. Only in cases like NoA strictly refusing to localise The Last Story - then he would say that they have to. But don't worry, this was just a fictional example.

swerve

Boney said:
Because they'd be going against one of the core principles of the RT franchise.

Not really. They had no choice but to use buttons on GBA, and they used the primary 'gimmick' control feature of the DS for that version. I don't think there is evidence to say that RT's core principle is in the use of buttons.

As someone who has perfects on all of GBA RT, and all-but-one (maybe two) (CURSE YOU MOAI) on DS, I am super happy at the idea of a flick-based wii remote version. When done correctly, beat-perfect flick-sensitivity is fine.

I think we'll get an assortment, personally. Some flick, some throw, some press, maybe even some rotate/twist if they get crazy.

Osuwari

this year/last year was the 20th anniversary of the F-Zero series and Nintendo basically hasn't even remembered the series exist. i don't see them ever bringing it back at this point.

the Zelda 25th anniversary stuff will be probably the GC collector's edition disc repackaged on a Wii disc (probably without the wind waker demo)

pokemon's 15th anniversary could be just some giveaways in events most people won't be able to atteld like the 10th anniversary.

seady

After the beautiful and dreamy Epic Yarn, the new Kirby looks so uninspiring.

It's like the DS having the amazing Kirby Canvas Curse and then treated with something like the mediocre Kirby Squeak Squad.

leroidys

Shiggy said:
Although it's widely known that, there are only few official comments. They aren't very fond of this and NCL seems to keep this rather secret.

This is the only one I could find right now:

"The number of Japanese titles that don't make it over has been a burning question in a number of folks' minds, so I asked about how that works. Denise told me Nintendo of America actually has very-little-to-no say about which titles escape Japan to go worldwide; NCL makes all decisions when porting games to new regions."

http://www.n-sider.com/contentview.php?contentid=3855

Wow that's pretty pathetic that NOA does so little. Thanks for digging up the link for me.

Boney

Banned
swerve said:
Not really. They had no choice but to use buttons on GBA, and they used the primary 'gimmick' control feature of the DS for that version. I don't think there is evidence to say that RT's core principle is in the use of buttons.

As someone who has perfects on all of GBA RT, and all-but-one (maybe two) (CURSE YOU MOAI) on DS, I am super happy at the idea of a flick-based wii remote version. When done correctly, beat-perfect flick-sensitivity is fine.

I think we'll get an assortment, personally. Some flick, some throw, some press, maybe even some rotate/twist if they get crazy.
Yeah I haven't gotten gold on Moai as well hahaha, but the main difference is, flicking is as instantenous as a button, so it can be used. Motion, especially constant one is not accurate for a rhythm based game.

As Iwata said, the main draw here is social rhythm heaven.

seady said:

It's like the DS having the amazing Kirby Canvas Curse and then treated with something like the mediocre Kirby Squeak Squad.

I haven't played much of Yarn yet, but while I love the artistic style and the music, it just didn't compare to Kirby 64 to me, too untraditional, now we're getting this as well. :D

It's great to change things up, but it shouldn't come at the expense of a proper, PROPER sequel.

Take Brawl for instance, I didn't like how... epic and "serious" things were, I missed the more light-hearted nature of the original and Melee. Hell the original portrayed the characters as DOLLS!

Or Colosseum, The Pokemon Stadium games had loads of variety and had a larger feel of realism thanks to the remade cries for the Pokemon, and also had a light-hearted mini-game mode, Colosseum darkened things up and made things feel lifeless, the audio was the biggest regression by far, the cries, the sound effects (how many fucking attacks used some variable of the same sound?!). The Stadium series had a combination of realistic and cartoony sounds for the attacks. Plus Ted Lewis was an awesome announcer. Ken Gates/Rodger Parsons should stick to narrating, not announcing during battles.

I almost wish Nintendo went with that SSB 2.5 idea Iwata mentioned, something about taking Melee and adding online or whatever. HAL would've obviously done it solo. And it's thanks to the damn restructure back around 2002 IIRC that killed the Stadium series; Genius Sonority took HAL's place inside Nintendo's building or something.

Point is, give us the real sequels if you're also thinking of changing things up; variety, and we get what we expect/hope years prior.

Cactus

Banned
seady said:

I feel the opposite way. Epic Yarn looks really pretty, but I admittedly didn't have much fun when I tried it out. I've been waiting for a new traditional console Kirby for years.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
It sure seems like we're seeing the second coming of side scrolling platformers thanks to NSMB tho.

Hiltz

Iwata just said that Hal Labs has been working on this Kirby game for a long time. It will be coming to Japan this year.

Top Bottom