• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair PS3 gameplay + video interview

http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6557

136MB

- The TGS Level is about 32x32 miles
- Sometimes more than 3 thousand soldiers are on the battlefield (+ the dragons)
- Real Time Lighting
- When released, Eggebrecht believes that Lair will only have tapped 50% of the PS3 Power... or less
- Water simulation running on Cell

The best video from Lair till now. :)

Insane Metal said:
- When released, Eggebrecht believes that Lair will only have tapped 50% of the PS3 Power... or less
It doesn't matter how great this looks, these comments are always ****ing stupid. If it's only 50% of the power, then why doesn't it look like the CG teaser? lolz

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
AlanHemberger said:
It doesn't matter how great this looks, these comments are always ****ing stupid. If it's only 50% of the power, then why doesn't it look like the CG teaser? lolz

Time, money, talent, knowledge.

information is the only currrennncccccy

Manp

Y2Kevbug11 said:
Time, money, talent, knowledge.

so it would be better to say 50% of the potential...

i mean... there are many way of using 100% of the power, in one way the game may look like shit, in another way it may be amazing

:)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Manp said:

i mean... there are many way of using 100% of the power, in one way the game may look like shit, in another way it may be amazing

:)

That's definitely true.

Is this from the 1up show?

Eggebrecht said the same thing at the 1up show. Basically they are using CELL like nobody's business.

Manp said:
Paying for potential confirmed?

The video looks gorgeous. But any time a developer says "It's only use X% power" it's ****ing stupid. Is there some sort of universal scale to determine the percentage of power that your game is using? kl;asdkfa bleh

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

well, i _certainly_ agree with this at the moment!

... what else was it going to run on?!

bud

tha game looks amazing but they need to fix the lighting. it's very weird at this stage, like it's too dark and bloomy or something.

Not a surprising comment, for sure. I still remember Volition saying that Summoner on PS2 'really pushed the system to its limits'. Dare you to go look at screenshots of that one today :p

ChibiRobusuta said:
Not a surprising comment, for sure. I still remember Volition saying that Summoner on PS2 'really pushed the system to its limits'. Dare you to go look at screenshots of that one today :p

There'd be a slight difference between F5 and Volition talking technical about a system though. ;)

Mifune

Mehmber
AltogetherAndrews said:
New to Factor 5?

I actually loved Rogue Squadron for N64, and nothing since. Rogue Leader was a shell of the earlier game in everything but tech.

Great avatar, by the way.

Insane Metal said:
http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/6557

136MB

- The TGS Level is about 32x32 miles
- Sometimes more than 3 thousand soldiers are on the battlefield (+ the dragons)
- Real Time Lighting

The best video from Lair till now. :)

It's a gorgeous game, that's clear. What's interesting to me is how Xbox fans feel so committed to bashing this game at every opportunity. If you really don't care for the game, why do you bother to come into the thread? There are thousands of games out there that folks aren't going to like, so why focus on this game? If I were to compare this game at it's present stage to say another 360 game (or even a PS3 game) at a similar stage, I think I'd consider this game to be smokin.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
sonycowboy said:
It's a gorgeous game, that's clear. What's interesting to me is how Xbox fans feel so committed to bashing this game at every opportunity. If you really don't care for the game, why do you bother to come into the thread? There are thousands of games out there that folks aren't going to like, so why focus on this game? If I were to compare this game at it's present stage to say another 360 game (or even a PS3 game) at a similar stage, I think I'd consider this game to be smokin.

thats a really good way to really get this thread off track huh?

people judge games when they are first shown, and usually unfairly - but that's GAF

ie

What's interesting to me is how 360/Sony/Nintendo fans feel so committed to bashing this game at every opportunity. If you really don't care for the game, why do you bother to come into the thread? There are thousands of games out there that folks aren't going to like, so why focus on this game? If I were to compare this game at it's present stage to say another PS3/360/Wii game (or even a PS3/360/Wii game) at a similar stage, I think I'd consider this game to be smokin.

you could just copy and paste this into just about every thread

Speevy

Banned
What's interesting to me is how Xbox fans feel so committed to bashing this game at every opportunity.

I'm pretty sure gamers of all types have taken shots at this game. What's interesting to me is how this is pretty much the only PS3 game at TGS that was bashed a lot, and that includes second or third tier games like Fatal Inertia.

Speevy said:
I'm pretty sure gamers of all types have taken shots at this game. What's interesting to me is how this is pretty much the only PS3 game at TGS that was bashed a lot, and that includes second or third tier games like Fatal Inertia.

Not really. It's a defensive play from a certain number of Xbox fans who don't seem to convince people that say, Motorstorm is ASS, or that F1's water on the windshield doens't really look that good, or that MGS4's animation is kinda poor right now. I also understand that you've got some tools like Shane out there that certain fans feel a need to "set the record straight".

I really don't see this style of character assassination take place on 360 game threads with the same committedness that I see in PS3 threads. I understand that Sony's a target after the past 10 years and that 18 months ago, nobody expected Microsoft to come out with the quality that they have or to have as good as a chance that they're clearly showing.

But, IMO, it's actually getting pretty pathetic. This is not an ugly game by any stretch. It's probably in, at least, the top 20 graphically impressive games out there.

j^aws

This game went off my radar 'coz of the hit 'n' miiss coverage it was getting but after seeing this off screen video, it just reaffirms my belief to see things for my own eyes.

The game looks gorgeous withh all things going on. Even with the 'golden' bloom that looks distracting in static screens, it contrasts well with the bluish hues, giving it a lovely fantasy setting. It seems like a free roaming Panzer Dragoon, which can't be a bad thing...

DCharlie said:
well, i _certainly_ agree with this at the moment!

I think he means it's a realtime simulation of the ocean running on CELL, as opposed to somthing that's 'canned'... or vertex shaders running on RSX....

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
I wasn't impressed by Lair's graphics until watching Julian's presentation on the 1up Show just now. He goes into detail and focuses on each individual element seperately, which gave me a much better idea of all the different effects and techniques going on at once. So now I appreciate it on a technical level, but the art design could use some work too I think.

The gameplay looks really rough still, but since there's a lot of time left there's a reasonable hope that it'll be fun.

JMPovoa

Well, i really don't care much about this game yet. For crying out loud guys, It's 35% complete! How would you expect it to be anything but a little disappointing in terms of polishness of both graphics and gameplay? You can name every little speciall effect that's being used in the game, but as a whole package, sorry, it's just not there yet, no matter how hard you try to spin it. Eyes just can't be fooled. And in terms of gameplay sure it has some cool tidbits of gameplay, but it's far too few of the game being shown as of now, so we can't really be sure of how fun it'll truly be.

Just give the game a few more months in development and then we can really talk about it seriously. As of now it's still kind of ridiculous discussing on whether it is or is not a great game in the PS3's catalogue.

Doctor_No

The ~"50%" figure is usually quoted at launch for most systems, so while Lair is impressive, I'm sure several years down the line when MGS4 and 2nd,3rd-gen games are released we'll all look at Lair and wonder why we used to think it was good. I'm sure all systems have a lot more to show, especially the PS3 with its complicated architecture.

What impressed me most with the game was when Eggebrecht started playing the game with one hand and was able to land the dragon and stop on soilders with only his right hand. The sixaxis controller, to me at least, seems much more interesting and viable now then when it was first announced.

Mugen

Banned
AlanHemberger said:

Ugh, probably because it's only using 50% of the power. It'll look closer to the prerendered teaser if it were using more power. However, the game would probably have to be using around 5% power if it were to look like the prerendered footage at 100% power.

ELS-01X

Banned
Doctor_No said:
The ~"50%" figure is usually quoted at launch for most systems, so while Lair is impressive, I'm sure several years down the line when MGS4 and 2nd,3rd-gen games are released we'll all look at Lair and wonder why we used to think it was good.
I wouldn't use MGS4 as an example for that...

EDIT: And teaser wasn't prerendered (unless you mean this year's E3 trailer). It was running in real time.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
DCharlie said:
A lot of games just run water shader on GPU, and have flat geometry for water.

Lair has animated geometry waves + GPU water shader.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
But, IMO, it's actually getting pretty pathetic. This is not an ugly game by any stretch. It's probably in, at least, the top 20 graphically impressive games out there.

i'll say it again, since some of you are obviously having amazing trouble comprehending it, at TGS this year -on the floor- , both Lair and Motorstorm (later on friday only it would seem) DID NOT run like games that should be anywhere near the top 20 graphucally impressive out there.

That's not to say that they both won't end up in there at all.

It's simple : the experience that i had, and i'm sure many other posters who actually went to TGS, did not match the experience you guys who didn't attend had....

now arguing that, see that for me is somewhat pathetic and smacks of this whole SDF notion that no game on the PS3 can have any issues.

Hell, half the bashing that X360 gets is due to frame rates - and these two had very VERY glaring issues in this exact area.

If you really don't care for the game, why do you bother to come into the thread?

why do you assume that people who are 'bashing' the game have no interest in the game?! *groan* this is getting tiresome - i'm interested in Lair - very much so. It just didn't look good and was obviously in a state where you can't get a good feel for the game play at TGS. On the basis of covering TGS - the game , as it stands, is pretty bad. I don't have magic 4d goggles that's going to fill in whether the technical issues and gameplay all pans out X years down the line. It wouldn't be the first game that ends up being awesome after a poor TGS , so i'm really not sure why you are getting so upset.

Mifune

Mehmber
What the hell?

Suddenly anyone who says anything bad about Lair is a hopeless Xbox fanboy. I've been very critical of Gears of War, too, and have gotten the rolleyes response in those threads, too. I had to defend myself for saying that MGS4 was the best-looking next gen game I've seen.

So now unless you're COMPLETELY in love with whatever game is being discussed, you're a fanboy. Whatever.

sonycowboy, you've lost your mind.

EviLore said:
I wasn't impressed by Lair's graphics until watching Julian's presentation on the 1up Show just now. He goes into detail and focuses on each individual element seperately, which gave me a much better idea of all the different effects and techniques going on at once. So now I appreciate it on a technical level, but the art design could use some work too I think.

The gameplay looks really rough still, but since there's a lot of time left there's a reasonable hope that it'll be fun.

Agreed. While I'm certainly impressed by the PS3 lineup from a graphical standpoint, it's pretty clear that these are launch games. I don't mean that from the traditional graphics standpoint. These games are looking so far beyond any launch game ever released, that it's ridiculous.

What I mean is that, traditionally, the gameplay takes even more of a backseat to graphics than usual. Compared to games such as Bioshock, Assassin's Creed (maybe), and MGS, they seem to have simpler gameplay mechanics and don't appear to have significant diversity of gamplay. But, that's almost always true. It doesn't make them bad games at all, but it also makes it hard for them to be "classics" down the road, such that the poster that said, "how we'll look back on these games", is a true comment.

How much does anybody look back on the 360's lineup. At the time, we had folks proclaiming it as the second coming. Looking back, it was solid enough, but not quite as impressive as we've gone through the months.

Mifune said:
What the hell?

Suddenly anyone who says anything bad about Lair is a hopeless Xbox fanboy. I've been very critical of Gears of War, too, and have gotten the rolleyes response in those threads, too. I had to defend myself for saying that MGS4 was the best-looking next gen game I've seen.

So now unless you're COMPLETELY in love with whatever game is being discussed, you're a fanboy. Whatever.

I'm absolutely not saying that folks can't criticize a game. That's a part of playing games. However, there are posters that have made these same comments dozens of times, desperately hoping they'll stick. I'm not making a sad little attempt to quell reasonable discussion about these games, but the diatribes that some folks go on and on and on about is tiresome.

I'm not particularly interested in this game until I get some idea of what exactly the gamplay is supposed to be and get some impressions from a more substantial build.

But, it does look great in the vids, and it's gotten some pretty positive commentary out there.

Mifune, I'm not sure why you seem to think I'm speaking in completely binary terms. I'm not saying if you don't love it, shut your pie hole. Absolutely everybody has their right to an opinion. What I am saying is that when someone posts the same one-liners in 5-10 threads about a game or goes off on aspects of gamplay they can't possibly know anything about, it's pretty clear that it's a load of BS, and it's also clear the objective of the post.

fse

Mifune said:
What the hell?

some fanboys hate others opinions.

Doctor_No

ELS-01X said:
I wouldn't use MGS4 as an example for that...

I think MGS4 looks great, and I'm sure it'll get better before its finally release, but regardless, my point is that when 2nd/3rd-gen games come out for the PS3 we should see some good improvements, and I'm sure we've just scratched the surface of the capabilities of the machine. But at launch it's not suprising to hear developers talk like this.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Actually, a lot of people who have played it have praised it quite a bit, I remember someone said it was a highlight of the show for him even, and how it's not easy to convey the game in videos even until you play it.

Doctor_No said:
I think MGS4 looks great, and I'm sure it'll get better before its finally release, but regardless, my point is that when 2nd/3rd-gen games come out for the PS3 we should see some good improvements, and I'm sure we've just scratched the surface of the capabilities of the machine. But at launch it's not suprising to hear developers talk like this.

ELS has some strange hatred for MGS4 so you aren't going anywhere there.

Speevy

Banned
Marconelly said:
Actually, a lot of people who have played it have praised it quite a bit, I remember someone said it was a highlight of the show for him even, and how it's not easy to convey the game in videos even until you play it.

Ah, okay. Well yeah, that's not the impression I got. Thank you though.

ELS-01X

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
I doun't know if it is technically better than this, but it sure as hell is alot more visually appealing.
Subjective. I like the art style of Lair more than MGS4's.

Top Bottom