• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair PS3 gameplay + video interview

Speevy

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
I doun't know if it is technically better than this, but it sure as hell is alot more visually appealing.

IAWTP. And I think it will end up being technically better too. Of course, MGS4 is at the top of that list sonycowboy mentioned, so is it any surprise?

EB Games has it listed at Lair Order

Sounds funny, but I think they actually called it that. Not just "Lair" asking you to order it.

Doctor_No

ELS-01X said:
:lol No, but thinking that MGS4 is technically better than this is pretty ridiculous.

I'm not trying to steer this thread into a MGS4 vs Lair comparison; I think both games are great. We'll have to wait to see how MGS4 develops before we pass judgement. However, what I found interesting is Eggebrecht mentioning that all 2nd/3rd gen PS3 games should be in 1080p because a good deal of the rendering is done by the Cell before it finally gets rendered by the RSX.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
quite seperate of the game, but julian claiming that they wanted motion sensing all along and that normal control was plan B - just doesn't pass the BS meter imo.

Game looks good but the control seemed a little off, wasn't really reacting well - hopefully they will tune that

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
but julian claiming that they wanted motion sensing all along and that normal control was plan B

maybe they planned to bring it to wii before Sony jumped in? ;)

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
"Q: How does it feel to be working on the PS3 with almost limitless power?" :lol

oh even better

"Julian: Limitless power for quite a while"

if its limitless how can it only last quite a while?

:lol :lol

anybody else hear this

"that detail together with all the other elements...cell does on the side...so yeah you can't uh do this <edit> .... back to the landscape"

come on? why not just say can't do this on 360 ? :)

GashPrex said:
"Q: How does it feel to be working on the PS3 with almost limitless power?" :lol

oh even better

"Julian: Limitless power for quite a while"

if its limitless how can it only last quite a while?

:lol :lol

Isn't that dude German though? Cut the guy some slack.

trh

Nifty AND saffron-colored!
Huh, really impressive. The armies however looks as responsive and well done as like... Black and White 2's.

ELS-01X

Banned
trh said:
Huh, really impressive. The armies however looks as responsive and well done as like... Black and White 2's.
What do you mean? The red army is supposed to be your ally, that's what they didn't attack the dragon in the video.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
DCharlie said:

i get the feeling that they decided to jump the nintendo ship quite a long time ago -- i remember reading in an opm article that after rs3 they started working on xbox as a preparation for next-gen hardware (which is probably the root of the ign rumors about an xbox compilation of their star wars games).

i wonder if that "make a monkey out of you" line was a shot at wii :eek:

xaosslug

DCharlie said:

well, that would certainly explain the infamous EGM (?) dragon/tail shot that cause much controversy. ;p

sonycowboy said:
But, IMO, it's actually getting pretty pathetic. This is not an ugly game by any stretch. It's probably in, at least, the top 20 graphically impressive games out there.
I completely agree. The trolling is pathetic and it is mostly in PS3 threads. I think I'd consider myself an xbot too. And Lair is graphically stunning. I come into the Lair threads to comment on the gameplay which looks lacking IMO. I wish they'd show us something truly stunning about the gameplay.

ELS-01X

Banned
AlanHemberger said:
I completely agree. The trolling is pathetic and it is mostly in PS3 threads. I think I'd consider myself an xbot too. And Lair is graphically stunning. I come into the Lair threads to comment on the gameplay which looks lacking IMO. I wish they'd show us something truly stunning about the gameplay.
It's not "teh innovative" but it seems pretty fun to me. It's certainly ahead of the RS games.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
GashPrex said:
Game looks good but the control seemed a little off, wasn't really reacting well - hopefully they will tune that
I don't think you can really see that kind of interaction from a video like this. A lot of people at TGS have praised both this and Warhawk for quality of their motion sensing controls. Complaints about Lair were mostly coming from the gameplay perspective (which I can see could become repetitive), framerate, and lack of polish, like the transition from flight to one-on-one dragon fight.

ELS-01X said:
It's not "teh innovative" but it seems pretty fun to me. It's certainly ahead of the RS games.
I don't expect it to be innovative. I like the idea of what they're trying to do, but when they execute it, it just seems boring. I'd like to see something more massive I think. A battle that makes me say "wow".

ELS-01X

Banned
BamYouHaveAids said:
When exactly is Lair supposed to be released?
Spring of next year.

AlanHemberger said:
I don't expect it to be innovative. I like the idea of what they're trying to do, but when they execute it, it just seems boring. I'd like to see something more massive I think. A battle that makes me say "wow".
Well, we've only seen one level...

What's most surprising (well, maybe not) is that people (me included) still don't seem to have gotten the hang of the whole work in progress thing. If things look rough, then that's probably due to the fact that it is rough. And that really shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone seeing as how it's work in progress. Yet it doesn't seem to matter how many times we go through this thing, we just can't seem to learn. I'm well aware of the fact that I do this myself, but that hardly makes it any less retarded.

drohne said:
i get the feeling that they decided to jump the nintendo ship quite a long time ago -- i remember reading in an opm article that after rs3 they started working on xbox as a preparation for next-gen hardware (which is probably the root of the ign rumors about an xbox compilation of their star wars games).
Indeed, relations between Factor 5 and Nintendo were pretty good, they were in fact working together on Pilot Wings for GC (Miyamoto even confirmed their collaboration at E3 2003). When the relationship fall apart, Peer Schneider hinted that it was a "not enough money hats" issue.

Raistlin

GashPrex said:
quite seperate of the game, but julian claiming that they wanted motion sensing all along and that normal control was plan B - just doesn't pass the BS meter imo.

What motive would he have to lie? To appease a few GAFers claiming Sony ripped of the Revmote? :lol

Seriously … why would he lie?

As far as not feeling right … the sensitivity will surely be adjustable in the game … it is intentionally a bit ‘off’ since this is a several ton dragon we’re talking about … that you are not directly controlling as you are ‘playing’ the person who is riding it like a horse.

Kittonwy

Banned
ypo said:
When there's no eye bleeding bloom on screen the game looks very nice.

I agree there's too much specular bloom at the moment. Toning down the specular bloom would be a better way of really showing off the environment because the environment is actually really detailed and sweet.

Wollan

For me this was the most impressive game at TGS. It needs a lot of work in several areas but it really stunned me. I haven't watched this video yet though and I will comment later.

Speevy

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I agree there's too much specular bloom at the moment. Toning down the specular bloom would be a better way of really showing off the environment because the environment is actually really detailed and sweet.

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol .

You somehow managed to brag on the bloom while saying there's too much of it. Bravo.

This game looks waaaaaay better in that video than all the other videos. Great graphics but it still feels like you died, went to heaven and had to fight these dragons there.

Doube D

DCharlie said:
i'll say it again, since some of you are obviously having amazing trouble comprehending it, at TGS this year -on the floor- , both Lair and Motorstorm (later on friday only it would seem) DID NOT run like games that should be anywhere near the top 20 graphucally impressive out there.

That's not to say that they both won't end up in there at all.

It's simple : the experience that i had, and i'm sure many other posters who actually went to TGS, did not match the experience you guys who didn't attend had....

now arguing that, see that for me is somewhat pathetic and smacks of this whole SDF notion that no game on the PS3 can have any issues.

Hell, half the bashing that X360 gets is due to frame rates - and these two had very VERY glaring issues in this exact area.

why do you assume that people who are 'bashing' the game have no interest in the game?! *groan* this is getting tiresome - i'm interested in Lair - very much so. It just didn't look good and was obviously in a state where you can't get a good feel for the game play at TGS. On the basis of covering TGS - the game , as it stands, is pretty bad. I don't have magic 4d goggles that's going to fill in whether the technical issues and gameplay all pans out X years down the line. It wouldn't be the first game that ends up being awesome after a poor TGS , so i'm really not sure why you are getting so upset.

oh brother, more of dcharlies unbiased reviews of everything sony.... FYI, almost every single media outlet that was at TGS praised motorstorm graphically and otherwise. As far as framerate is concerned, the build that was there early on was faulty and was replaced by a (as reported by many) rock solid 60fps demo.

Kangu

Banned
Speevy said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol .

You somehow managed to brag on the bloom while saying there's too much of it. Bravo.

He either edited his post or you suck at reading.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
I haven't seen a single thing in any of the videos I've watched of the TGS demo for this game that looked so bad that it couldn't be fixed/adjusted in time for planned Spring launch. The biggest things I see that need adjustment are more blending of animations and some of the clipping that occurs when the camera gets too close to large stationary objects. Framerate looks pretty good to me but anyone's welcome to point me to a time index in any of the vids out for this game where the framerate really chugs for an extended period of time.

This vid interview with Eggbrecht in particular is nice because they manage to show off how detailed the environments are better than most of the other vids and how well the dragons move as well as the breadth of the actions you can pull off with them. The ambush from above at the 4:45 mark could probably use an animated gif (hint hint). ;)

Agent X

kaching said:
This vid interview with Eggbrecht in particular is nice because they manage to show off how detailed the environments are better than most of the other vids and how well the dragons move as well as the breadth of the actions you can pull off with them.

I agree with this. The interview is certainly recommended for anyone who has any interest in the game.

I'm quite impressed with what I saw of the game so far. The environments are detailed and have a great sense of scale. It looks like the type of game that would be well suited to being played on a large TV. The water effects (especially near the end of the video) also looked very good. I do agree with some posters above that the bloom lighting is rather exaggerated now, but like you said they've still got a few months to work out the kinks before releasing it.

ELS-01X

Banned
tHoMNZ said:
where are those gifs of that amazing fire it used to have
i mean
in the cg movie
lair_fire_01a.gif

Wollan

After hearing that L.A.I.R is indeed running at 1080p I have no qualms saying that it is the most impressive technical achievement around bar none. Including all the stuff that we haven't played yet. Though I'm sure NDs game will have some incredible technical detail once it get's spoken about but as it stands now, L.A.I.R is the most technically impressive software out there that we have seen I think.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Kangu said:
He either edited his post or you suck at reading.

I have no idea what Speevy got from that post.

Kittowny said "specular bloom," not spectacular bloom...which is the only possible way I could read that post the way he did. He said it needs to be toned down so that environmental detail can shine through.

Speevy

Banned
Nevermind. It seemed like he was highlighting twice the words "specular bloom" as if to emphasize that the developers were using it. I've since looked up the term.

Kittonwy

Banned
Wollan said:
After hearing that L.A.I.R is indeed running at 1080p I have no qualms saying that it is the most impressive technical achievement around bar none. Including all the stuff that we haven't played yet. Though I'm sure NDs game will have some incredible technical detail once it get's spoken about but as it stands now, L.A.I.R is the most technically impressive software out there that we have seen I think.

I look forward to seeing the game in a couple of months when they have had more time to really put on the polish. ~_~

I think the game looks very nice....it will look better if they fix alot the glitches, lighting etc.

And it did seem to get positive impressions from e3....

peace

Kittonwy

Banned
Speevy said:
Nevermind. It seemed like he was highlighting twice the words "specular bloom" as if to emphasize that the developers were using it. I've since looked up the term.

I only said specular bloom twice in my last post, I didn't highlight it though since I'm not a big fan of that effect. Some developers feel it's necessarily, I find it tends to obscure the details when it would be nicer to see the details. Just having HDR without the specular bloom is enough.

Yoboman

DCharlie said:
i'll say it again, since some of you are obviously having amazing trouble comprehending it, at TGS this year -on the floor- , both Lair and Motorstorm (later on friday only it would seem) DID NOT run like games that should be anywhere near the top 20 graphucally impressive out there.

That's not to say that they both won't end up in there at all.

It's simple : the experience that i had, and i'm sure many other posters who actually went to TGS, did not match the experience you guys who didn't attend had....

now arguing that, see that for me is somewhat pathetic and smacks of this whole SDF notion that no game on the PS3 can have any issues.

Hell, half the bashing that X360 gets is due to frame rates - and these two had very VERY glaring issues in this exact area.
I've read plenty of impressions that say otherwise, few that agree with your statement, so don't act like you speak for the majority.

DCharlie

I've read plenty of impressions that say otherwise, few that agree with your statement, so don't act like you speak for the majority.

yes, and as i've stated - i'm a little confused by this - BUT, as i believe, the majority of the press spent a lot of time (especially on the friday) at the Aoyama event it would seem, not on the floor of TGS (for many reasons - such as it being very hard to play games when the place is that packed)

As mentioned, it could well be that the builds at the Sony event were superior to the TGS floor builds - this might well be born out by the Motorstorm/Lair/GT:HD/Coded Arms builds being very ropey on the floor, yet getting "wow - 60fps" reviews from press.

You are all free to not agree with anything i say, that's all upto you. But i just wish people would discredit all the absolutely throthingly good things i've said about Ridge, DMC, Resistance etc just so it all balances out :/ I hate having my opinion half believed.
Seriously how can anyone think that kind of shit bloom is good looking?

Namco's Ridge team need to give out lessons in correct usage of Bloom/HDR - it's pretty much perfect.

DCharlie said:
yes, and as i've stated - i'm a little confused by this - BUT, as i believe, the majority of the press spent a lot of time (especially on the friday) at the Aoyama event it would seem, not on the floor of TGS (for many reasons - such as it being very hard to play games when the place is that packed)

As mentioned, it could well be that the builds at the Sony event were superior to the TGS floor builds - this might well be born out by the Motorstorm/Lair/GT:HD/Coded Arms builds being very ropey on the floor, yet getting "wow - 60fps" reviews from press.

You are all free to not agree with anything i say, that's all upto you. But i just wish people would discredit all the absolutely throthingly good things i've said about Ridge, DMC, Resistance etc just so it all balances out :/ I hate having my opinion half believed.

Namco's Ridge team need to give out lessons in correct usage of Bloom/HDR - it's pretty much perfect.

fair, but looked nice and seemed fun enough to me from the vids...other people seemed to like it also...thus my opinion is formed by my own interpretation plus concensus...fair if you didnt like it...or thought everything was too rough

peace

DCharlie

fair, but looked nice and seemed fun enough to me from the vids...other people seemed to like it also...thus my opinion is formed by my own interpretation plus concensus...fair if you didnt like it...or thought everything was too rough

Cheers.

i've every confidence that the final game will be a technical marvel - there is no real reason to doubt this given the amount of time they have left to tighten the game up - the team are a talented bunch and the results they got out of the GC were simply breath taking.

I think lair looks great especially considering it runs at 1080p, a lot of hate it gets i don't understand. I am mostly an xbox minded person but wen i get a ps3 it's for these kinda games.

MrSardonic

The nerdiest nerd of all the nerds in nerdland
i'm not convinced about this game yet - is it actually going to be fun?

the graphics are a mixed bag imo. some stuff looks great, but some animations and camera work are not very fluid, and the fire effects don't look so great at the moment.

i'll wait and see what the final product ends up being like, but i'm not very hyped for this.

DeBurgo

It looks cool but ARRGH the dragon's wings are TOO SMALL for the size of the dragon.

I know they're mythical creatures that breathe fire and all but dragons are supposed to have enormous wings in comparison to their bodies. These dragons seem to be about 30%-40% body.

Kittonwy

Banned
MrSardonic said:
i'm not convinced about this game yet - is it actually going to be fun?

the graphics are a mixed bag imo. some stuff looks great, but some animations and camera work are not very fluid, and the fire effects don't look so great at the moment.

i'll wait and see what the final product ends up being like, but i'm not very hyped for this.

It looks pretty fun to me. Has anyone actually deliberately try to explore the different ways of taking out the rider at the show?

Please keep in mind that this is not the final game, which won't be released until spring 2007, these are kind of polish issues.

Same with the fire effects.

it needs a lot of work, I dunno why they showed it at TGS...

With next gen I have noticed that developers should only show their game when they reach the final status. I mean look at GOW...huge jump from the E3 demo, the new lighting and atmosphere touches are incredible!!!

Top Bottom