• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lair PS3 gameplay + video interview

Wollan

Doom_Bringer said:
it needs a lot of work, I dunno why they showed it at TGS...

The game looked incredible and ecspecially in person. I can't see how people can watch this and don't realise what the game is doing despite some flaws.

Wollan said:
The game looked incredible and ecspecially in person. I can't see how people can watch this and don't realise what the game is doing despite some flaws.

I dunno man... LOD problems, overdone HDR ligthing, a dragon shooting fireball missiles, PS2 type ground combat... I still think the RS GC games look better

j^aws

Wollan said:

Did you get a chance to play it? And did you miss rumble?

DCharlie said:
Cheers.

i've every confidence that the final game will be a technical marvel - there is no real reason to doubt this given the amount of time they have left to tighten the game up - the team are a talented bunch and the results they got out of the GC were simply breath taking.

one thing Im a bit worried about is factor 5 have said a spring release...hopefully thats a late spring...as, yeah, I was very impressed by some of the stuff...but the game needs a hell of a lot of polish...eurogamer said it was the earliest game they saw at tgs, and thought that even though many aspects of the game look great, the bloom nearly made it look ugly. They said that it had a lot of potential though. Kind of sums up my feelings

Peace

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Doom_Bringer said:
I dunno man... LOD problems, overdone HDR ligthing, a dragon shooting fireball missiles, PS2 type ground combat... I still think the RS GC games look better

How is the combat PS2 type??? What defines PS2 combat?

LOD -> Game is in development
HDR lighting -> A stylistic choice I hope they realize looks utterly ridiculous
Dragon shooting fireball missiles -> Uh huh?
RS GC games -> no

Doom_Bringer said:

uh, I think your brain runs on the emotion engine ie not all that was promised...curse god

peace

Kittonwy

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:

It's not the HDR lighting that was the problem, it's the specular bloom, maybe there's too much gold paint on the side of the bridge.

I don't get your comment about the PS2 type ground combat. The PS2 didn't have a game like this.

RS GC games do not look better, that's silly.

~_~

the game just looks too early. It will probably look fantastic when its done. I wasn't hating on PS3 or factor5

Kittonwy said:
I don't get your comment about the PS2 type ground combat. The PS2 didn't have a game like this.

~_~

the square enix game - drakenguard or something, go play it

PG2G

Graphics look nice, game doesn't look too interesting though. Could prove to be a nice show off game, especially in 1080p :p That water is probably the best Ive ever seen in a game.

Wollan

j^aws said:
Did you get a chance to play it? And did you miss rumble?

I played it and from a technical standpoint this was the next gen material of the show.
I missed rumble in L.A.I.R and Warhawk and I think games that use the motion tracking as the main means of control are the ones that need rumble the most.

j^aws

Wollan said:
I played it and from a technical standpoint this was the next gen material of the show.
I missed rumble in L.A.I.R and Warhawk and I think games that use the motion tracking as the main means of control are the ones that need rumble the most.

Yeah, I noticed the 'red' damage flashes on the screen and wondered if that would be a good subsitute for rumble feedback. I guess it will be missed.

I also agree on the technical standpoint, though I haven't seen all videos yet. The stuff it's pulling off may not be spectacular on it's own, but collectively, it's gorgeous, even for WIP. But I can understand why everyone doesn't appreciate it.

I have all the Panzer Dragoons, and when I first played them on Saturn, I wished there was a free roaming version too, which Lair 'seems' to fit. I hope they can spruce up the gameplay too...

Wollan

The gameplay in L.A.I.R is actually quite good. You just have to get some respect for the motion tracking and away you go. Personaly I finished both the tutorial and the actual level on my first try which not many people seemed to do. I don't think the developer has promised anything about this being the next deep game ala Bioshock so don't go into it expecting anything like that but go in expecting a air/ground combat game that feels very organic. My favorite part gameplay wise was being on the ground and using claws and teeths against the 'minoatur bulls' and you could really sense the monster energy and weight. So awesome.

j^aws

Wollan said:
The gameplay in L.A.I.R is actually quite good. You just have to get some respect for the motion tracking and away you go. Personaly I finished both the tutorial and the actual level on my first try which not many people seemed to do. I don't think the developer has promised anything about this being the next deep game ala Bioshock so don't go into it expecting anything like that but go in expecting a air/ground combat game that feels very organic. My favorite part gameplay wise was being on the ground and using claws and teeths against the 'minoatur bulls' and you could really sense the monster energy and weight. So awesome.

Thanks for the impressions! I'm tempted to take a media blackout now 'till release... but I'm weaksauce! :)

Kittonwy

Banned
Doom_Bringer said:
the game just looks too early. It will probably look fantastic when its done. I wasn't hating on PS3 or factor5

the square enix game - drakenguard or something, go play it

Yes, I've played Drakengard, but I don't remember being able to ride the dragon on the ground in Drakengard.

Aisenherz

Banned
AlanHemberger said:
It doesn't matter how great this looks, these comments are always ****ing stupid. If it's only 50% of the power, then why doesn't it look like the CG teaser? lolz
Jak & Daxter does not look like Jak 3! Why?

looks nice in that...although I m interested to see what level variations they have...and the game, having such massive environments would benefit from having little villages in there etc

peace

Rody said:
Because his opinion doesn't count, right?

can't help but make such comments due to the hyperbole put out by the Factor 5 president. "Can't be done on 360" "50% of PS3 power" pwffttt... hey Eggebrecht a game called Blazing Angels came out on 360 last year and it sure as hell gives your game a run for its money.

dai said:
wtf? no it does not. they're not even close. :lol

dude remove your fanboy goggles because Blazing Angels is a awesome looking game! Incredible smoke effects, beautiful water, nicely rendered ground units...the game's got it all and it does a lot of stuff better than Lair..

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Doom_Bringer said:
can't help but make such comments due to the hyperbole put out by the Factor 5 president. "Can't be done on 360" "50% of PS3 power" pwffttt... hey Eggebrecht a game called Blazing Angels came out on 360 last year and it sure as hell gives your game a run for its money.

STOP :lol :lol

Dante

Doom_Bringer said:
dude remove your fanboy goggles because Blazing Angels is a awesome looking game! Incredible smoke effects, beautiful water, nicely rendered ground units...the game's got it all and it does a lot of stuff better than Lair..

:lol Everyday you turn somewhat boring threads into great stuff.....For this, I thank you.

Doom_Bringer said:

Since you've admitted that you've taken over Doom Bringer's account and all, could you please make your own account and troll with it, because honestly you're giving Doom_Bringer a bad name not to mention it's annoying not to know if I should take you seriously or not since I don't know who's really posting.

Doom_Bringer said:
dude, no. and i'm not wearing any "fanboy goggles." anyway, i will admit that i have never played blazing angels, but from the videos, it looked awful.

Oni Jazar

One thing they really need to fix is the enemies on the ground and how they react to the dragon's attacks. It almost looks like they're sprites.

Oni Jazar said:
One thing they really need to fix is the enemies on the ground and how they react to the dragon's attacks. It almost looks like they're sprites.

They need to fix a lot of stuff actually! Since their a couple of guys who know people at factor 5, maybe they can send them this list!

Improve dragon animation, fix some broken animations
Fix fire effect
fix the guys on the ground, add some animations and AI to them
reduce HDR lighting
fix textures
reduce LOD pop ups
make the smoke look next gen and not like PS2 smoke
add effects like wind and heat simmering from dragon's mouth

bishoptl said:

hey bish don't ban please both games are on ps3

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
I don't care what platform they're on, if you think BA gives Lair a run for its money graphically, you need your eyes checked. :p

bishoptl said:
I don't care what platform they're on, if you think BA gives Lair a run for its money graphically, you need your eyes checked. :p

can i post comparison pictures? :O

SolidSnakex said:
Yesterdays gem was MGS4 looking like a high poly PS2 game.

I saw the HD trailer and I admit I was wrong...I also heard the game was pushed back to 2008 so its very early right now. I am sure it will look great at E3 and by the time its done

Dante said:
:lol Everyday you turn somewhat boring threads into great stuff.....For this, I thank you.

Eh, Doom_Bringer's schtick is wearing pretty thin if you ask me. No offense DB I don't care what you post about, but having you on my ignore list isn't helping when every thread you pop up in turns into 15 blue bars cluttering each page. Maybe at least try and consolidate your opinionated contributions instead of responding to everyone like it's a chatroom?

hukasmokincaterpillar said:
Eh, Doom_Bringer's schtick is wearing pretty thin if you ask me. No offense DB I don't care what you post about, but having you on my ignore list isn't helping when every thread you pop up in turns into 15 blue bars cluttering each page. Maybe at least try and consolidate your opinionated contributions instead of responding to everyone like it's a chatroom?
:lol

Don't tell me how to post you n00b

Kangu

Banned
I wonder if DoomBringer is genuinely, tragicaly, blind since birth, or if he just does this to piss everyone off?

^ see how annoying psyborgs really are? They can't handle a little criticism over a title their favorite company spent $25 million on. Whatever... carry on fapping over this "amazing" looking game.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Kangu said:
I wonder if DoomBringer is genuinely, tragicaly, blind since birth, or if he just does this to piss everyone off?

Nail on the head!

Hence...
doom.gif

Rody

Doom_Bringer said:

:lol

Okay...

ELS-01X

Banned
Oni Jazar said:
I don't get what you mean. Sprites? o_O

Top Bottom