• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lord of the Rings Game Delays Xbox Version

MarkMe2525

You know some people really struggle to recognize their confirmation bias when "We are delaying the xbox version due to a lack of resources" = we can't get it to run on Series S. This scenario may absolutely be true, but their is absolutely no evidence of this being the case at this point. Wouldn't it be wise to wait for more info before making such assertions? I guess that wouldn't be as much fun 😁

Stuart360

You know some people really struggle to recognize their confirmation bias when "We are delaying the xbox version due to a lack of resources" = we can't get it to run on Series S. This scenario may absolutely be true, but their is absolutely no evidence of this being the case at this point. Wouldn't it be wise to wait for more info before making such assertions? I guess that wouldn't be as much fun 😁
Correct me if i'm wrong but so far this gen we have had one game delayed due to the Series S with BG3 right?, and yet people acting like its some common thing, and 2 weeks from now people will be talking like its 'fact' that this was delayed because of Series S.
I mean christ the S runs Immortals of Aveum at 60fps, and thats probably the most demanding game we have seen yet lol.

HawarMiran

Banned
what other reasons could there be? Jimbo? :messenger_smiling_horns::messenger_squinting_tongue:

ManaByte

Gold Member
I must be one of those shills, even though i dont own a console.
Astroturfer!
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

StereoVsn

Perhaps. But we've known what BG3 was going to be like for years due to PC early access, so people who said it would be bad are just being stupid. You may think I'm defending the Xbox here, but I'm actually not. If Series S can't pull off a game as simplistic as this cheap-looking survival crafting game then Microsoft is in serious trouble.
I really think it got to be the RAM more then anything else. You can scale down graphics for the GPU but overall lack of memory is hard to get around.

Split screen issues are just one of the symptoms.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Exactly, it could be Series S problem, just like that the game is too big(as in number of platform supported) for the studios size too .And since the series is 2 config I'd understand why it would take more time.

MarkMe2525

what other reasons could there be? Jimbo? :messenger_smiling_horns::messenger_squinting_tongue:
There does not have be an "other reason" other then the one they gave. Development is not free, if a dev is dealing with crunch and time constraints, it makes financial sense to focus resources on the platforms with the most return, which is almost always PlayStation and PC. Is it not a known fact that multiplatform games sales heavily skew to PlayStation?

Regardless, it would be silly to speculate which of the many reasons it could be for the delay. I was simply pointing out how intrusive and unproductive recency & confirmation bias can be. We have 1 game out of maybe a 1000 that bumps into a development issue with Series S, and now you will have people (who unknowingly) fall into these illogical traps that our brains spring on us. Now in saying that, it would be a logical fallacy of me to assert that the suggested scenario is not possible, because it absolutely is.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
People are blaming the Series S being the reason for the delay for a game that looks like this? That's a really stupid take. Baldurs Gate 3 I can understand, but this?
One can argue that the smaller devs with very limited resources and teams will care about Xbox and Series S even less.

Stuart360

It's almost like one platform is more popular. Keep defending that 2 trillion dollar company though everytime their honor is at stake while pretending not to care. You've almost got someone fooled I'm sure.
So you dont like it when the roles are reversed eh. And i do like Xbox, which i have said many times on here, why wouldnt i when eveything they release is day and date on PC, Gamepass too. I dont care about the console though.
And believe it or not but its not actually a crime to like Xbox, even though you would love it to be.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
So you dont like it when the roles are reversed eh. And i do like Xbox, which i have said many times on here, why wouldnt i when eveything they release is day and date on PC, Gamepass too. I dont care about the console though.
And believe it or not but its not actually a crime to like Xbox, even though you would love it to be.
What roles reversed? I'm just pointing out your obvious history. A crime to like Xbox? Lol. You're far to into this buddy.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I really think it got to be the RAM more then anything else. You can scale down graphics for the GPU but overall lack of memory is hard to get around.

Split screen issues are just one of the symptoms.
I wouldn't be surprised. Based on the IGN gameplay from Gamescom earlier today the game is currently a stuttery mess on whatever it was running on so it wouldn't shock me if they're having trouble getting it to run within the Series S performance envelope. It seemed to be struggling on whatever they were playing it on.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
  • The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria has been delayed for Xbox Series X/S, with a new release date set for early 2024.
  • The delay has disappointed Xbox fans, but the PC and PS5 versions are still scheduled for release on October 24.
The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria has officially been delayed, but only on Xbox Series X/S. Excitement has been building for the late October launch of The Lord of the Rings: Return to Moria, but it seems that Xbox fans will have to wait substantially longer than their fellows on PC and PlayStation 5. The co-op multiplayer crafting and survival game remains on schedule for both PC and PS5.

Another Gollum.

That's the way to do it. If Microsoft want to enforce this series s bullshit, then just delay the xbox version. I think we're gonna see this happen more now as other studios will follow suit.

Microsoft won't certify your game for distribution on either Xbox console unless it runs on both platforms without compromises.

That's... kind of becoming a problem, obviously.
I'm truly wondering which game will finally make Microsoft bend the knee and compromise. :pie_thinking:

Probably GTA 6 or something.

CamHostage

Correct me if i'm wrong but so far this gen we have had one game delayed due to the Series S with BG3 right?, and yet people acting like its some common thing, and 2 weeks from now people will be talking like its 'fact' that this was delayed because of Series S.
I mean christ the S runs Immortals of Aveum at 60fps, and thats probably the most demanding game we have seen yet lol.

It's different kinds of demanding, but yes, there is only one game "officially" attributing development troubles to Series S.

And in reports from those familiar with development, that one game makes sense why it would challenge Xbox Series S, as BG3's large-world, untethered, separate instance split-screen concept is specifically demanding and challenging to fit in. There's a reason why practically no other developers have been doing this, and split-screen in general has become increasingly rare and almost disappeared from games since the PS360 generation for some of these reasons of development challenge.

Everything else is speculation as to why the Xbox is seeing delays. (And even with BG3, did they reach a breaking point where Xbox Series development roadblocked their efforts, or did they just get to a point and say, "Screw working on this for now, our money is on PC and PS5 anyway so let's get those done and come back to Xbox." Development usually finds answers when it has to so it might be more of B than A, although them having no ETA for Xbox release points at some real blockers in this version.)

...That said, Series S is as logical a culprit for what's going on here as we have.

And although we have only one "official" report, we were hearing grumbles coming from developers about Series S before this all happened. (Some say Series S may be to blame for the missing co-op mode in Halo Infinite too, although the hacked remnant code left of that mode runs on both Series S and X.)

Is it really the technical demands of Return to Moria that is causing conflict fitting this onto Xbox Series S? Or did the developer just punt this version (and maybe focus on platforms where Minecraft wouldn't be advertised over it?) Unknown. But a pattern seems to be building...

StueyDuck

What's with all these sweeping statements declaring the game is shit

Is there a history with the Dev I'm not aware of? I thought this was kind of their first game. I remember it getting attention because it's striking the same vibes as valheim... I guess valheim is shit too 🤷‍♂️

What's with all these sweeping statements declaring the game is shit

Is there a history with the Dev I'm not aware of? I thought this was kind of their first game. I remember it getting attention because it's striking the same vibes as valheim... I guess valheim is shit too 🤷‍♂️
I think it's because people saw how great Gollum was.

Top Bottom