• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Lord of the Rings Game Delays Xbox Version

NEbeast

"Same as Series X but at 1440p/60"

LOL
Some of those old threads are golden. I can't believe some people were saying this thing wouldn't hold the sx back. I'm pretty sure I remember people saying the damn thing was more powerful than the ps5.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF

Tumle

I mean christ the S runs Immortals of Aveum at 60fps, and thats probably the most demanding game we have seen yet lol.
Uhm that really depends on what part of the hardware that is the bottleneck in any given scenario..
don’t know the cause of the delay.. but isn’t the lord of the rings game a building/ survival game? They could have problems keeping things in ram, if that’s the case, especially if it has split screen, where you can be in different places of the map at the same time..
But sure maybe it’s because it’s a small studio who doesn’t have the man power to optimise for more than one console architecture instead of 3..
Still seems like a problem that MS created for them selves..

you still can’t say ‘look this single player game with lots of “pretty” graphics can run on it, therefore any game should be able to run on it!’

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
The two people playing Gollum on Steam are devastated.
The dev has less than 100 people in the entire company. They’re a tiny studio.
A dev with less than 100 people who mostly worked as a support studio outside of some tiny full game releases that says “limited resources” means they literally don’t have the headcount to ship a full AA game on four platforms.
This is obviously a lie. Confirmation bias says that can’t be true at all.
Astroturfer!
Invasion Of The Body Snatchers Reaction GIF by MOODMAN
Confirmation Bias |OT|

Jodie Whittaker Ok GIF by Doctor Who

Last edited:

Tsaki

The most likely cause would be the Series S. RAM amount is not the only issue. Xbox Series consoles have different RAM bandwidths, even the the X, so that has to be taken into consideration as well. For the X will not be that big of a deal since it has 10GB of 560GB/s and 6GB of 336 GG/s. Yes a headache but still there is enough "fast" RAM where you can work more freely. But for the S: 8GB of 224GB/s and 2GB of 56GB/s, are pretty bad numbers.
The second reason would be number of units sold. Xbox sales are so far behind and seems the gap to get even larger month after month. Why even bother delaying the majority of sales for a platform where the users are far fewer and being actively told not to buy games?

ReBurn

Gold Member
What's with all these sweeping statements declaring the game is shit

Is there a history with the Dev I'm not aware of? I thought this was kind of their first game. I remember it getting attention because it's striking the same vibes as valheim... I guess valheim is shit too 🤷‍♂️
Video from Gamescom this week shows the game running pretty poorly. That's one good reason to believe the game is shit. If it's pre-beta as the footage is stamped and running like this two months before expected release the chances of it being great are probably pretty slim.

StueyDuck

Video from Gamescom this week shows the game running pretty poorly. That's one good reason to believe the game is shit. If it's pre-beta as the footage is stamped and running like this two months before expected release the chances of it being great are probably pretty slim.
Eh that's a bit of a stretch, I mean it's not nearly as poor as you are pretending it is. I've seen AAA games launch worse with less criticism.

The demo being played at gamescom won't be the latest build. I'm sure most people know that by now in gaming.

Again though saying something is shit because the in development footage isn't completely optimized is a bit far off from the Game being complete shit and it's good it's not releasing as you and others are saying

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
Eh that's a bit of a stretch, I mean it's not nearly as poor as you are pretending it is. I've seen AAA games launch worse with less criticism.

The demo being played at gamescom won't be the latest build. I'm sure most people know that by now in gaming.

Again though saying something is shit because the in development footage isn't completely optimized is a bit far off from the Game being complete shit and it's good it's not releasing as you and others are saying
I'm not pretending. There's video evidence. The jumping is floaty, the character animation is slow, the camera movement is jerky with hitches, it was difficult to see where the mining tool was striking...it's all very apparent. Of course the Gamescom build won't be the last build, but if that is what they're showing you have to assume it's the best build that they have.

Maybe a couple of months is all they need to polish it, but with something looking that rough so close to release date it's apparent that Series S isn't the only issue the dev team is facing. They probably don't want to delay because they're no doubt hoping to capitalize on the LOTR license ahead of the holiday shopping season and a delay would jeopardize the revenue opportunity. So it makes sense that they would prioritize optimization on the platforms with the highest install bases to seize whatever opportunity they can.

As for the game itself, so far there's nothing interesting about it other than them saying these are LOTR dwarves in an LOTR setting. Maybe complete shit is an exaggeration, but mediocre at best probably isn't a stretch.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

I'm not pretending. There's video evidence. The jumping is floaty, the character animation is slow, the camera movement is jerky with hitches, it was difficult to see where the mining tool was striking...it's all very apparent. Of course the Gamescom build won't be the last build, but if that is what they're showing you have to assume it's the best build that they have.

Maybe a couple of months is all they need to polish it, but with something looking that rough so close to release date it's apparent that Series S isn't the only issue the dev team is facing. They probably don't want to delay because they're no doubt hoping to capitalize on the LOTR license ahead of the holiday shopping season and a delay would jeopardize the revenue opportunity. So it makes sense that they would prioritize optimization on the platforms with the highest install bases to seize whatever opportunity they can.

As for the game itself, so far there's nothing interesting about it other than them saying these are LOTR dwarves in an LOTR setting. Maybe complete shit is an exaggeration, but mediocre at best probably isn't a stretch.
First pc survival game for you as well?

Don't play valheim if that's how you truly feel

Three

Some of those old threads are golden. I can't believe some people were saying this thing wouldn't hold the sx back. I'm pretty sure I remember people saying the damn thing was more powerful than the ps5.
Michael Jordan Lol GIF
Some people were even buying into the stupid idea that at the given 1080p resolution Series S is actually a more powerful system with more overhead, spurred on by MS employees like Albert Penello. It was crazy for those that knew better.

Last edited:
This game was not on my radar at all but as a survival game enjoyer this looks pretty sick. Im for sure going to check it out.

For those saying its going to suck or downplaying it because XSS cant run it or whatever... grow the hell up.

El Muerto

I dont get it. Shadow of Mordor/War games were amazing. I dont understand why they would make a generic slapcrap Steam early access survival game. I dont think anyone will mind this skipping Xbox.

Tumle

I dont get it. Shadow of Mordor/War games were amazing. I dont understand why they would make a generic slapcrap Steam early access survival game. I dont think anyone will mind this skipping Xbox.
They will get it at some point… but right now Microsoft is not even giving people a choice to skip, they decided that for you with Xbox series S..
Good guy Phil just saved you from making your own choice 😜

Also just because you don’t like survival games, doesn’t mean everyone else doesn’t either..

The amount of water some people are willing to carry, for this company is absurd..
Microsoft should just start a cult instead, if there business fails..😂

First time seeing a pc survival game?
I've played Valheim, Conan Exiles, Rust, Sons of the Forest, and a bunch of others, even ARK. For me (and that's the point of personal opinions), there was nothing in that gameplay that was remotely interesting regarding LotR. And if I want a game with Dwarves, I already have Deep Rock Galactic. But please do tell me more about I shouldn't play...

StueyDuck

I've played Valheim, Conan Exiles, Rust, Sons of the Forest, and a bunch of others, even ARK. For me (and that's the point of personal opinions), there was nothing in that gameplay that was remotely interesting regarding LotR. And if I want a game with Dwarves, I already have Deep Rock Galactic. But please do tell me more about I shouldn't play...
I too can Google a list of games when I get called out.

Do what you want, I don't give a fuck, whatever you do or don't do really doesn't matter to anyone 🤣

Crayon

Well it doesn't specifically say the problem is series s, but how could that not be a factor? Same for low user base. Same for the game pass effect. The question isn't which reason but how much of each reason. Whatever it is, if you have to choose where to put your limited resources, it's obvious where to make the cut.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
A dev with less than 100 people who mostly worked as a support studio outside of some tiny full game releases that says “limited resources” means they literally don’t have the headcount to ship a full AA game on four platforms.
Shhhhh... Let them continue thinking it's a Series S problem. Im trying to see something...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Xbox has what 20% of the market it that and a huge chunk of that are people who don’t buy games anymore. We have seen this throughout time and it’s one reason why being an also-ran in console sales can turn into a vicious cycle. If you need to hit a release date and don’t have the time to get everything done, delaying the Xbox version makes the most sense by far. Has nothing to do with technical limitations of the Series S, necessarily, although just the fact that you have to finish the game for 2 different platforms does add to the work load.

Last edited:
Let's look at the facts here

- This game looks like complete ass and no one is going to buy it just like Gollum
- This is yet another example for one reason or another that Xbox isn't prioritized
- Spoiler: That's bad regardless of whether this is because of the Series S or not​
- Microsoft changing the policy based on BG3 is a lot of egg on their face.
  1. They waited too long to make the decision so the game is still coming out after the PS5 version
  2. By making the move you're going to piss of developers even more because their games didn't get exceptions
  3. You're creating a slippery slope where more devs and publishers will threaten to delay Xbox games without additional exceptions
- This is going to get worse as the generation matures, as fewer games are cross-gen, and will become extremely problematic for Microsoft on the next generation with cross-gen titles hitting PS5 but not Xbox.

Microsoft has really walked itself into a real Genesis/Saturn/Dreamcast-type situation, especially depending on what Sony does with the PS5 Pro and PS5 Slim/Digital. The Dreamcast was a great machine, but the decisions made around the Genesis and the Saturn really hampered any ability for it to be successful.

You can't really afford to just forfeit a generation, it never ends well once you do, but they'll almost be forced to come out with a next-gen Xbox sooner rather than later at this point.

We already have an XSS (Carbon Black) that is only 50 dollars cheaper than the PS5 Digital... Sony putting out a PS5 Pro and having a system as cheap as the XSS doesn't bode well for Microsoft.

What Microsoft does over the next 3-4 years is going to be some of the most interesting decisions in the history of gaming, but their position is squarely based on their promotion of a step-down system in the Series S and GamePass driving down B2P sales of games. And we're starting to see the fraying of support from developers both accomplished and unaccomplished and the fraying of their promises such as parity between XSS and XSX.

Xbox has what 20% of the market it that and a huge chunk of that are people who don’t buy games anymore. We have seen this throughout time and it’s one reason why being an also-ran in console sales can turn into a vicious cycle. If you need to hit a release date and don’t have the time to get everything done, delaying the Xbox version makes the most sense by far. Has nothing to do with technical limitations of the Series S, necessarily, although just the fact that you have to finish the game for 2 different platforms does add to the work load.

We're looking at the tv/movie industry and the reduced inflows based off the subscription model vs the cable tv and theater model.

Publishers and devs would do very well to avoid getting sucked into a similar model.

This isn't music. No one is going to spend more on subscription gaming than they would have on B2P gaming.

And an addendum: The only reason subscription works so well for music and has increased the music industry's revenue is because the subscription model actually gives people access to more music within the confines of what they can consume.

Imagine you listen to music for 3 hours a day and back in the day, you'd buy maybe 3-4 cds a year at 15-20 dollars a disc. That's between 45 and 80 dollars per year. Now let's look at Spotify, 10 dollars per month for 12 months is 120 dollars per year.

You're actually spending more money, but you're also getting far more content than 3-4 discs per year, and you're still within that 3 hours per day but now you can listen to as many albums as you want during that period. The extra money is largely justified and obviously, there are people who were on the higher end of that and the lower end, but overall the music industry is making more today off of consumers, so it doesn't matter. They're looking for ways to make more money off of the more hardcore music consumers; Tital HiFi Plus is like 20 a month.

That being said you haven't seen as much progress when it comes to concert subscriptions, which is a thing they're trying to get traction on. Concerts unlike albums are more a kin to the b2p model of gaming. They're significantly more expensive and more finite in nature.

Streaming music was a win for the industry once they embraced a model that worked and now people barely feel the need to pirate music.

Video games, tv, and movie are very different. The primary driver for tv and movies right now are streaming services and they realize that they can't increase prices enough to match previous inflows. They're unlike music streaming services that essentially have all the same music give or take some artists. This means they're segmented and their content is segmented, which means that it has to compete on its own merits, including price and value. That's why they're all slowly but surely increasing their prices together.

I think we're moving closer and closer to a market crash when it comes to streaming. I've given Sony a lot of flack for their failure to launch a streaming service, but ultimately they're going to be right on this. The current models don't work and it's going to be a while before they do.

Then you look at Sony with PS+ vs GamePass, and they've found a way to have their cake and eat it too. They aren't destroying their B2P sales, but they're still managing to get people to pay them subscription payments. I still think they could do even more if they were to bundle PS+ Premium with Crunchyroll, but the math has to make sense on that. I don't think that a pure subscription game service has any future that doesn't destroy value for developers and publishers and ruins quality for gamers.

Ultra Donny

Since Gollum was such hit game I'm obviously disappointed. How will I cope with this. Have seen screenshots of the game and I'm devistated. It really stands on the forefront of modern game graphics. It's obvious that series s I too weak to run this game. But I rejoice for pc and ps 5 gamers that will be able to play this in October when no other games that looks interesting is released.

Top Bottom